What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Doug Martin, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

RB2/RB3 circling the drain with Charlie Sims getting bigger in the rear view mirror. If he puts up a good stat line this week then who knows what impact Sims will have and trying to figure out what Lovie will do is an exercise in futility.

Any more thoughts?
The schedule against the run really eases up the next few weeks. Minnesota, Cleveland, Atlanta, Washington, Chicago. Unless TB continues to get blown out (definitely possible) Martin will likely have some nice games during this stretch.

I'm making excuses, but:

They were awful against Carolina and Martin got dinged.

DNP against St. Louis.

DNP against Atlanta.

Decent against Pitt.

Decent against NO and had some big plays overturned by penalty. He would have been well over 100 total yards.

Over 4.0 ypc against Baltimore in an absolute blowout.

I think it's a great time to buy Martin. :shrug:

Except Sims comes back. No guarantee he takes touches away, but IMO he's starting at the end of the year, at worst in an RBBC.

Here's how NFL Films' Greg Cosell broke down Doug Martin leading up to Week 6, before Martin managed 47 scoreless yards on 12 touches against the Ravens: "I don't think Doug Martin at this very moment is a very good runner. I think he's stiff. I don't think he has the same lateral agility and explosion that he had his first year in the league. I don't think he gets more yards than what are there. To me, that's a problem with a running back." The Bucs' backfield distribution will be interesting to see coming off a Week 7 open date. Martin has been downright awful both as a rusher (2.90 YPC) and pass protector, and the Tampa coaching staff has shown no sense of commitment to fumble-prone Bobby Rainey. Even in a plus matchup with Minnesota's 19th-ranked run defense, the Bucs' backfield should be avoided in fantasy lineup decisions. ... Rookie Charles Sims has resumed practicing after fracturing his ankle in mid-August. Eligible to return from the I.R./recall list in Week 9, Sims is worth stashing in 12- and 14-team leagues. The Bucs' new regime has a third-round pick invested in Sims, while Martin and Rainey were both holdovers from ex-GM Mark Dominik's tenure. If the 1-5 Buccaneers "go young" down the stretch, Sims could end up seeing a lot of work. I watched Sims' tape coming out of West Virginia and he reminded me a bit of Matt Forte. He's not quite as dynamic as Forte, but is a fluid runner with three-down tools.

per Evan Silva

Here's how NFL Films' Greg Cosell broke down Doug Martin leading up to Week 6, before Martin managed 47 scoreless yards on 12 touches against the Ravens: "I don't think Doug Martin at this very moment is a very good runner. I think he's stiff. I don't think he has the same lateral agility and explosion that he had his first year in the league. I don't think he gets more yards than what are there. To me, that's a problem with a running back." The Bucs' backfield distribution will be interesting to see coming off a Week 7 open date. Martin has been downright awful both as a rusher (2.90 YPC) and pass protector, and the Tampa coaching staff has shown no sense of commitment to fumble-prone Bobby Rainey. Even in a plus matchup with Minnesota's 19th-ranked run defense, the Bucs' backfield should be avoided in fantasy lineup decisions. ... Rookie Charles Sims has resumed practicing after fracturing his ankle in mid-August. Eligible to return from the I.R./recall list in Week 9, Sims is worth stashing in 12- and 14-team leagues. The Bucs' new regime has a third-round pick invested in Sims, while Martin and Rainey were both holdovers from ex-GM Mark Dominik's tenure. If the 1-5 Buccaneers "go young" down the stretch, Sims could end up seeing a lot of work. I watched Sims' tape coming out of West Virginia and he reminded me a bit of Matt Forte. He's not quite as dynamic as Forte, but is a fluid runner with three-down tools.

per Evan Silva
Martin is 25 and Sims is 24. :shrug:

per Evan Silva
Martin is 25 and Sims is 24. :shrug:
I think he means less actual age and more in terms of experience to see what the rookies on the team have to offer.

per Evan Silva
If he doesn't like stiff straight line runners with no lateral agility, I don't think he'll like Sims a lot either.

per Evan Silva
If he doesn't like stiff straight line runners with no lateral agility, I don't think he'll like Sims a lot either.
At least Sims is a true threat in the passing game. Martin had his chance and fell flat on his face. Let's get that pile of crap out of the way and get the rookie some reps. What do they have to lose?

rdrouyn said:
I disagree with this. Sims is not a shifty RB, but IMHO he has subtle moves in open field that often leave defenders falling over themselves. We'll see if it translates to NFL.

Owning Martin in redraft though, I hope he can have a couple nice outings. Thought I had a steal drafting him in the 2nd. It's hard to imagine this after his 2012 season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could this be the week Martin shows up? Who is forced to take the chance? Check in
I am considering starting Benny Cunningham over him in PPR. Cunningham as a part timer has twice a many reception as Martin. Martin receptions numbers have improved slightly when Glennon took over. Unlike McCown, Glennon occasionally checks down. Martin has only one TD this year and even that TD should have been called back for offensive holding.

georg013 said:
rdrouyn said:

per Evan Silva
At least Sims is a true threat in the passing game. Martin had his chance and fell flat on his face. Let's get that pile of crap out of the way and get the rookie some reps. What do they have to lose?
Martin had almost 50 receptions and 500 receiving yards as a rookie ... When he was drafted they said he could do everything good (catch, run, block) but nothing great.

rdrouyn said:
I disagree with this. Sims is not a shifty RB, but IMHO he has subtle moves in open field that often leave defenders falling over themselves. We'll see if it translates to NFL.

Owning Martin in redraft though, I hope he can have a couple nice outings. Thought I had a steal drafting him in the 2nd. It's hard to imagine this after his 2012 season.
x2... I still think he may be a victim of circumstances. The team sucks offensively and defensively, most of his games the past 2 seasons have come against great defenses, he has had had injuries and now lack of touches. If he gets an opportunity for 25 touches he will put up good to great #'s

As an example of how far Doug Martin has fallen I'm starting Travaris Cadet over him (I know, no one cares).

Some people think there is a better chance of Martin being traded than V-Jax. I would have to think Martins value is pretty low at this point.

RUMOR MILL

Trading running back Doug Martin could be a possibility for the Buccaneers leading up to Tuesday's deadline according to CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason la Canfora.

Martin is off to a slow start this season and could be pushed out in favor of rookie Charles Sims orBobby Rainey, if he's traded. Martin has rushed for 139 yards and a touchdown on 48 carries, averaging 2.9 yards per attempt this season.
Shows what they think of him but I doubt they get anything of value

RUMOR MILL

Trading running back Doug Martin could be a possibility for the Buccaneers leading up to Tuesday's deadline according to CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason la Canfora.

Martin is off to a slow start this season and could be pushed out in favor of rookie Charles Sims orBobby Rainey, if he's traded. Martin has rushed for 139 yards and a touchdown on 48 carries, averaging 2.9 yards per attempt this season.
Shows what they think of him but I doubt they get anything of value
Yes but do they try and showcase him today?

No real reason for the Bucs to keep him. He's a joke in pass pro, Rainey's averaging 2 full more ypc and they spent a top 100 pick on Sims with new regime. What he did 2012 is all fine and well, but the past 10 games he's played he's in the low 3s in YPC. All the success they've had in the 2013 & 2014 have been by backs.....not named Doug Martin.

If Sims has progressed to their liking, I expect Martin to be with a new team. (They'll be fine with Rainey/Sims/James ROS & if needed address back in offseason)

RUMOR MILL

According to a La Canfora's source. Probably the same source that had the Vikings trading for Sam Bradford. I don't believe a thing he says.

No real reason for the Bucs to keep him. He's a joke in pass pro, Rainey's averaging 2 full more ypc and they spent a top 100 pick on Sims with new regime. What he did 2012 is all fine and well, but the past 10 games he's played he's in the low 3s in YPC. All the success they've had in the 2013 & 2014 have been by backs.....not named Doug Martin.

If Sims has progressed to their liking, I expect Martin to be with a new team. (They'll be fine with Rainey/Sims/James ROS & if needed address back in offseason)
He had one bad game in pass pro (Carolina). Ever noticed how good Rainey is in pass protection? I'd assume not because they never let him block. Every time Rainey is in there he goes out on a route. Even in the two minute drill which is all Rainey, when they call a play where they need the RB to stay in and block they bring in Martin for the play.

As has been pointed out many times, Rainey's YPC is only better as a COP back. As a starter, Rainey has the same low-3's ypc, and did it much less consistently than Martin (Rainey eclipsed 4ypc in only 2 of 9 starts, Martin has done it in 5 of his last 10 since the start of 2013).

If Sims is the answer then they may as well see what they can get for Martin, but Rainey is not a suitable fill-in. He has been just as bad as a runner when he starts, is worse at pass blocking, and has ball security issues.

I don't think anyone thinks Rainey is the long term answer. When Rainey's averaging 5.6 ypc this year as starter......and Doug Martin sits at 2.9 ypc (and is the inferior receiver), really no reason to keep Martin if you can get a pick in return for a prior regime holdover that's clearly been the lesser effective RB.

Let's not pretend Pitts,NO & Carolina are good run defenses either, like another post insinuated earlier (who Martin has run against). All are outside Top 10 in Rush yards/game with Pitt/Carolina in the bottom half of league.

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/bucs-trade-rumors-swirl-involving-jackson-martin/

Bucs Trade Rumors Swirl Involving Jackson, Martin
by Scott Reynolds - Publisher
On Sunday, NFL.com Ian Rapoport’s reported that the Eagles, Patriots and Seahawks have all inquired about trading for Buccaneers wide receiver Vincent Jackson, but that doesn’t mean Tampa Bay is interested in dealing him. It would take a premium pick, like a second-rounder, to make the Bucs want to deal Jackson, whom the team feels is its best offensive player.

The Buccaneers are not shopping Jackson around the league – only fielding calls. Tampa Bay’s objective this year after trying to win as many games as possible is to evaluate Mike Glennon to determine if the Bucs need to select a quarterback or a pass rusher in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft. Robbing Glennon of his primary weapon on offense by trading Jackson, who has 25 catches for 344 yards and two touchdowns this year, prior to Tuesday’s trade deadline certainly does not help that cause, especially with the lack of veterans in the Bucs wide receiving corps.

If a Tampa Bay player is going to be traded prior to Tuesday it could be running back Doug Martin, who is falling out of favor with the organization after not rushing for at least 50 yards in any of his five starts this year. Seattle and New England are two potential landing spots for Martin, one of the team’s first-round picks in 2012. Martin, who has rushed for just 139 yards and a touchdown on 48 carries (2.9 avg.) this year, isn’t expected to fetch more than a fifth-round pick due to his declining production, but there have been a few inquiries about him, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

As PewterReport.com wrote about on Friday in the latest SR’s Fab 5 column, rookie Charles Sims, the Bucs’ third-round draft pick in 2014, is expected to be activated from the injured reserve-designated return list next week and see his first NFL action at Cleveland. Tampa Bay believes it is only a matter of time before Sims supplants Martin as the team’s starting running back. Sims began practicing with the team for the first time since tearing a tendon in his ankle in August.
A fifth-round pick for a 25 year old former first rounder. Not sure what GM wouldn't make that deal.

Wow now he's out hurt.
Good, put him out of his misery.
we need a stick a fork in him smiley
OK he officially sux but what about Rainey ... he's 8 for 25 and 13 of those came on a declined hold. He'd be 7 for 12
Rainey stinks too, and on top of it he can't pass block and has ball security issues.

Sims is the only hope. More than likely, anyone they stick back there is going to have a tough time of it until next year when they can hopefully rebuild the offensive line though.

Users who are viewing this thread