What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Doug Martin, Free Agent (3 Viewers)

This. Probably the freshest and least sore player on the field that night.
Y'know this is the most interesting argument in favor of him getting a lot of touches IMO.  I like it.  Now questioning whether or not I should roll the dice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm nervous as I'm having to start him in 2 out of my 3 leagues. Own him in the 3rd one as well but am particularly strong in RB there. 

I do agree with consensus that not being involved in the first 3 games is no reason for stopping him being brought immediately in and given a full compliment of carries. He's fresh, he's experienced and he's motivated. I'm sure he'd handle it fine. 

Im more concerned that there might be a degree of the head coach not wanting to immediately just take all of Jaquizz's carries away as a good pro and someone who has been reliable, and in doing so Martin is given a more limited volume in his first week back where he hopefully shows his higher quality in those carries and 'wins' back the job as it were, so he 'earns' getting a full volume going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
This. Probably the freshest and least sore player on the field that night.
Definitely. Even if there is a 50/50 split between him and Quiz to start, I can see Martin busting an early big play (even just a chunker for like 20 yards) and just taking over for the most part. It's the freaking Patriots. I don't say that because the Pats D is soft, I say it because the Pats O is going to score a ton and you will want your best playmakers on the field. And Martin can play in the pass game. Autostart for me. The fact I lost Carson and DJ already makes it academic but still. 

Im more concerned that there might be a degree of the head coach not wanting to immediately just take all of Jaquizz's carries away as a good pro and someone who has been reliable, and in doing so Martin is given a more limited volume in his first week back where he hopefully shows his higher quality in those carries and 'wins' back the job as it were, so he 'earns' getting a full volume going forward.
Good pt imo

I'm nervous as I'm having to start him in 2 out of my 3 leagues. Own him in the 3rd one as well but am particularly strong in RB there. 

I do agree with consensus that not being involved in the first 3 games is no reason for stopping him being brought immediately in and given a full compliment of carries. He's fresh, he's experienced and he's motivated. I'm sure he'd handle it fine. 

Good point but in the end Dirk Koetter wants to win and this is a big game for the Bucs. Rodgers is a JAG and he knows Martin is a big part of their success this season. Rodgers might be the "starter" on the opening play but I would wager Martin gets a majority of the carries right out of the gate.

What Ponchsox said. These are pro football players. They have one goal--win the super bowl. No pro coach or player gives a #### about Quizz's feelings. Nice sentiments I'll grant you but the better player is going to get fed. Martin doesn't have to "earn" anything back. 

kyoun1e said:
If Zeke suspended, I'll be forced to start him. If not, A. Abdullah in instead.

Would rather see what happens this week. Short week, hasn't been knocked around in pads, can't imagine he gets more than 5-10 touches.
This is my exact situation. Currently, I've got Martin in the lineup over Abdullah but they will likely change.

I probably have no choice but to start him this week--but my confidence level is weak at best.   Martin has burned me in previous seasons to where I didn't trust the guy--and he then proved me wrong.   I was a believer in him and his value this season--and I own a couple shares of him.  In one league--because of bye weeks for cj and freeman--I'll have to choose two of the following: crowell, martin, and quiz.  Sadly enough--I think I might actually start both quiz and Martin this week as I think there might be enough meat on the bone in this matchup for both of them.   Fingers crossed that he pulls through. 

Waiting to hear about how Gordon looks in practice early this week, but likely deciding between those two for my RB2 spot. I feel like you can't go wrong with Martin this week, so there's really no need to sweat him.

Dirk is trying to win. He is definitely not a guy who gives a #### about any of those things. 

I don't think his fitness will impact his utilization on any level, I am confident that he is in great condition.

The concern is the short week where the team has one practice to install this week's game plan. Not being in the meeting rooms for the past four weeks could be more significant in that regard than his conditioning.

I hope he gets 20 touches though. That would be awesome.
Were they going over this week's game plan during those past four (really three) weeks? I don't see how that's a factor. He had the playbook from the preseason and still had it during his suspension.

I do agree it will be a dice roll to some extent guessing hoe much usage he'll see - so like anything its a risk v. reward analysis on top of the other normal WSIS analysis.

A couple/three weeks ago when Jordan Howard was struggling a bit I was really wanting to have Martin in my lineup. Now that Howard as come around some I think I'll sit Martin this week and see how he looks. (plus I prefer a player going Monday over a Thursday guy when it's a close call) 

What Ponchsox said. These are pro football players. They have one goal--win the super bowl. No pro coach or player gives a #### about Quizz's feelings. Nice sentiments I'll grant you but the better player is going to get fed. Martin doesn't have to "earn" anything back. 
Exactly and that's what happened the last time Martin came back. Jacquizz was relegated to spelling him. Now, this first game back I can see more of a 50/50 role or 60/40 Martin / Rodgers then gradually increasing. Martin is clearly the better back and you play to win the game.

A couple/three weeks ago when Jordan Howard was struggling a bit I was really wanting to have Martin in my lineup. Now that Howard as come around some I think I'll sit Martin this week and see how he looks. (plus I prefer a player going Monday over a Thursday guy when it's a close call) 
I've got Howard and Martin as well.  I was a bit concerned about Howard facing the Minny D, but I looked it up and he went over 100 both games last year (26-153-1 and 23-135-0).  Howard is locked in my lineup.  I'll think about Martin in a flex spot.

This is my exact situation. Currently, I've got Martin in the lineup over Abdullah but they will likely change.
Right now, no way I can start Martin over Abdullah.

DET at home against what should be a return to the cruddy CAR offense. DET no joke on D and likes to control the ball now. After AA got plenty of touches and produced against MN I can't bench him over Martin who would seem to be at risk of splitting touches with JR.

Right now I am starting Duke Johnson over Martin.  I want to see his usage in a game before I put him in my lineup.  Might choke on that decision, but it's better than him not being in game shape and only getting 40-50% of the workload.

I know it's dumb but I want to watch my RB in primetime vs the pats in a high scoring game.  Tb only wins this game if they ball out.  Esp on offense.  Start all tb players ya got

It's a 55 ou.  Next closest is Dallas/gb
I also see a high scoring affair. Start your Bucs and start your Patriots. It just has a feel about it. Brady peddle to the meddle and Bucs taking advantage of week NE D.

http://www.joebucsfan.com/2017/10/getting-doug-martin-touches/

the article has a link to a interview Koetter did yesterday, skip to the 1 minute or so mark to hear his comments on Martin... i interpret that as a time share for martin... which makes sense... expect 10-12 carries, possibly less if the bucs are getting blown out... possibly more if gameflow dictates run and martin is looking good... but i think 10-12 carries is a reasonable expectation

I'm not worried about a snap count on him, I'm worried about the bucs getting blown out.  If this stays close no way he only ends up with 10 carries.

I'm not worried about a snap count on him, I'm worried about the bucs getting blown out.  If this stays close no way he only ends up with 10 carries.
And for this reason, the TB gameplan may very well be to focus on the ground game to keep the ball out of Brady's hands.

Dr. Octopus said:
Were they going over this week's game plan during those past four (really three) weeks? I don't see how that's a factor. He had the playbook from the preseason and still had it during his suspension.

I do agree it will be a dice roll to some extent guessing hoe much usage he'll see - so like anything its a risk v. reward analysis on top of the other normal WSIS analysis.
I think what he's saying is the because they only have one day this week, they won't be able to customize much.  They will be relying primarily on what they've done the prior 4 weeks, which Dougie has missed.

It's a different situation but last year when Martin came back in week 10 after missing two months with a hamstring injury he was utilized 18 times (16 carries, 2 targets). This was after everyone assumed he would be on a snap/touch count. I believe Quizz was out with a sprained foot at this point, but the game vs. CHI ended up as somewhat of a blow-out (38-10) which lead to Barber getting some burn later in the game (12 carries). If the game were closer Martin probably would've seen 20+ touches.

Again it's a different situation since injury =/= suspension but if Martin were to see the bulk of the carries this Thursday I wouldn't even be remotely surprised. He wouldn't be the first player to come back from suspension and be heavily involved in the game plan the following week. 

I've got Martin in my flex spot right now in a full pt ppr league but I'm starting to think I might put Humphries in and pull Martin out. Slot receivers have been eating NE's lunch and Humphries has been getting targets. TB might want to grind it out on the ground to keep the ball out of Brady's hand in which case Martin might get 15 to 18 carries. What says this group? Martin or Humphries?

I’d go martin all day long. But that’s just me. IMO martin gets at a minimum 10 touches. Although it does seem humphries has been pretty involved last Two games. 

Adam Hunphries has broken 70 yards twice in 31 G with 3 TDs. He’s had plenty of 7-8 target games where he didn’t reach 50 YFS.

Martin has 25 TDs in 57 career games & has topped 70 YFS something like 35 times.

Its not completely insane, the Patriots have given up some production to slot WR. But I’m rolling with #22.

Adam Hunphries has broken 70 yards twice in 31 G with 3 TDs. He’s had plenty of 7-8 target games where he didn’t reach 50 YFS.

Martin has 25 TDs in 57 career games & has topped 70 YFS something like 35 times.

Its not completely insane, the Patriots have given up some production to slot WR. But I’m rolling with #22.
Good information. Thanks for the help. This info has me leaning towards Martin. Hoping TB can keep it close so Martin gets plenty of carries. Will Quiz, Sims or Martin be the third down back?

IMO he is a good flex start until you see his usage and conditioning. That's what I am rolling with and thinking a floor of 10-12 points with a ceiling of mid twenties. 

But I am an optimist  :D

Two leagues. As of now in over Demarco due to the murkiness of his qb situation and in the other mulling him or Jarod Cook. That league is FFPC hence the consternation.

Users who are viewing this thread