What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Doug Martin, Free Agent (4 Viewers)

As someone who drafted Martin in all three of my money leagues in the 5th round or after, I'm thrilled with what I saw. This was exactly what I was hoping. Desperately need him in the league I had Dalvin Cook, and as a Crowell replacement in another.

“At the beginning I felt real good,’’ Martin said. “Towards the end there, though, down the line, I could tell I’d been out for four weeks. But that’s something I’ll work on with the few extra days off we have coming.’’
Dude was gassed.

I'm trying to trade him for a 1st round WR.  Last year I took Gordon in the mid rounds and flipped him for OBJ.  I just need one RB-hungry owner with a good WR to make it work.  

I'm trying to trade him for a 1st round WR.  Last year I took Gordon in the mid rounds and flipped him for OBJ.  I just need one RB-hungry owner with a good WR to make it work.  
I've been struggling with this idea as well. I guess if you're in a ppr league that could make sense.  But I own doug e fresh in a standard league and in that league a healthy Rb1 like him is more valuable than any wr not named Antonio brown imo.  I'd have to get brown to part ways with him.  

Or a great wr and a Rb that I can flex like a blount.  

I actually have great Rb depth but a shortage of rb1.  Ajayi and martin.  Those are my 2.  And then a hodgepodge including mccaffery, alex collins, jamaal charles, kamara, and foreman.  None of those guys can hang with ajayi and martin (yet). I would need one of them to breakout as an rb1 to feel comfortable trading a Rb. 

I doubt anyone in my league would do that so I'm riding with him for the season unless I'm blown over by a trade offer. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Their most successful drive resulted from Martin carrying the team down the field. So that's good.

Don't know the name of the OC for Tampa Bay, but I think he's pretty dumb. 46 passes and only 20 rushes - not the best way to attack New England. Apparently he didn't watch Pats v Chiefs week 1.

And the Bucs were only down by 6 at half time.

Their most successful drive resulted from Martin carrying the team down the field. So that's good.

Don't know the name of the OC for Tampa Bay, but I think he's pretty dumb. 46 passes and only 20 rushes - not the best way to attack New England. Apparently he didn't watch Pats v Chiefs week 1.

And the Bucs were only down by 6 at half time.
Yeah they were in the game the entire time. It was a bizarre offensive plan to watch (abandon the run, Jameis looked like a high school QB far too amped up for Homecoming). 

Seriously, no one in tb noticed their kicker missing 80% of his warm up kicks?  Yeah let's send him out there three times in a pressure situations.  Dumb.  I would have gone for it every time except for the long kick before halftime

Doug Martin said he's ready for a larger workload Week 6 against the Cardinals.

Martin admitted to experiencing fatigue midway through the game last week, which was his first action off a three-game ban to open the season. But with 10 days off and able to be around the team instead of forced to stay home, Martin says, "I'm prepared to do everything." Martin looked great against New England with a 13-74-1 line, but most backs have looked good against the Patriots through five weeks. A road date in the desert will be tougher, but Martin is a solid RB2.

Packaged Martin and Seattle to snag Devonta Freeman this past weekend. I'm thrilled at the haul, since I have the JAX D on my bench, but I'm really bummed not to have him on my team this year. He looked electric last week, and I expect really big things from him this year.

Packaged Martin and Seattle to snag Devonta Freeman this past weekend. I'm thrilled at the haul, since I have the JAX D on my bench, but I'm really bummed not to have him on my team this year. He looked electric last week, and I expect really big things from him this year.
Great trade, you basically just swapped Martin for Freeman, most would have done that deal, I certainly would and I am as excited as anyone for the remainder with Martin as my 1

Tampa media thinks Winston will sit this week. Does Fitz behind center Help Doug? I think so? 

The bills aren’t a scoring powerhouse so the game shouldn’t get out of hand. If I’m Koetter I lean on Doug this game, like he should have done the last two weeks. 

Tampa media thinks Winston will sit this week. Does Fitz behind center Help Doug? I think so? 

The bills aren’t a scoring powerhouse so the game shouldn’t get out of hand. If I’m Koetter I lean on Doug this game, like he should have done the last two weeks. 
For sure but tds are nice, especially when he doesn’t catch much. Not a very high ceiling.

Was offered Alshon for Martin and I'm considering taking it, even though I think in a vacuum, the deal is not in my favor.

I'm hurting at WR with Diggs and KBenj dinged, so Alshon would be an immediate starter.

Meanwhile at RB I also have Kamara, McKinnon, McCaffrey and Darkwa. Start 2 RB, 3 WR, 0 Flex

if 0.5 ppr or more, i would probably take the trade..... the 0 flex issue is the catalyst.  only being able to start 2 out of that stable has to be frustrating.

if 0.5 ppr or more, i would probably take the trade..... the 0 flex issue is the catalyst.  only being able to start 2 out of that stable has to be frustrating.
Thanks, I've been staring at the offer the last two days and just can't bring myself to pull the trigger (yet). Muscle Hamster highlight vid from the Pats game on YouTube is not helping the cause!

Jameis is starting.  Hard to lean on the running game when you're down 31-0 after the opponents first five possessions. 

My expectations are tempered BC buff has a really good defense.  They have a bend but don’t break run defense it seems and they have allowed I think the least points in the league through the first 6 weeks.  Doesn’t bode well for any phase of the tb offense.  This game might be a bonanza for the kickers.  But I can see dougie grinding out 80 total yards and hopefully a short yardage score.  

Wtf was that.  How the hell can we start him next week after that?  He pretty much cost me a win this week.  Damn

From the post game HC said that Martin is fine, they were just switching it up to Barber towards the end of the game, once Winston went out the game was basically out of hand, I'm sure not wanting to get guys injured was part of it because they put a lot of other reserves in too.

I think if they let Winston sit and put Fitz in there it would be an improvement for the whole offense at this point.

Firing the HC would help too.

A lousy defense AND a lousy QB is a rotten combo for any starting RB. That's where Martin is right now. There's just too much team risk sinking his ship.

They should start Fitz for one week and let Winston heal.

Upcoming slate of games looks good too: NYJ, MIA, @ATL, @GB. 

Does anyone know if he was benched or did they just shelf a starter during a blow out? 
It wasn't blowout time when they "shelved" him.   They were only down 16-3 with plenty of time left in the game when he got his last carry.  I was a believer in Martin coming into this season after I was adamant non believer in previous seasons.   I am quickly starting to fall back in the category of not trusting him at all again.   Even taking into account his better games this season--he's just not very good.  He's averaging 3.5 yards per carry and could barely average 1 yard per carry yesterday.   Even with the plus matchups--I think I will personally bench him until he does something to regain my trust.  What this means is that he'll probably go off on my bench--and when I feel confident enough to start him again--he'll once again fall back into nothingness. Uggh.  

It wasn't blowout time when they "shelved" him.   They were only down 16-3 with plenty of time left in the game when he got his last carry.  I was a believer in Martin coming into this season after I was adamant non believer in previous seasons.   I am quickly starting to fall back in the category of not trusting him at all again.   Even taking into account his better games this season--he's just not very good.  He's averaging 3.5 yards per carry and could barely average 1 yard per carry yesterday.   Even with the plus matchups--I think I will personally bench him until he does something to regain my trust.  What this means is that he'll probably go off on my bench--and when I feel confident enough to start him again--he'll once again fall back into nothingness. Uggh.  
It was 16-3 when he took his last carry, but the opponent scored a TD between that possession and the next. So on the possession which would've been his next carry, they were down 23-3 without Winston. So it wasn't a full on blowout, but things were looking pretty bad. And bb7278 said they put in other reserves.

Like you, I find him hard to trust. He's fighting with some other underachievers for my RB3/flex spot in a few leagues and solidly on the bench in others.

It's really crazy how poorly he's doing when I think back at how he looked on the Thursday night that he came back from his suspension.  He looked like the best player on the field and ran like he was shot out of a cannon. I thought we had a low end RB1 on our hands. Oh well.

It's really crazy how poorly he's doing when I think back at how he looked on the Thursday night that he came back from his suspension.  He looked like the best player on the field and ran like he was shot out of a cannon. I thought we had a low end RB1 on our hands. Oh well.
Yup. Thought the same thing watching that game. Took the sting out of losing DJ for one week.

Have to start him this coming week so I'm praying for a return to form. The skills are there but all the surrounding elements are not. Maybe he busts a 40+ TD at some point?

Users who are viewing this thread