What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, DAL (1 Viewer)

No just the highlights, so I missed the extra curricular activities.

I did see that Cam needed to use his hand to keep himself from falling to the ground after the contact. Zeke won that collision before he spins off.
SEA's D was talking much trash but Zeke didn't back down it was funny watching Zeke burst through the line and once he got through he ran straight at Cam. They started getting pushy so the coaches pulled Zeke before it got out of hand. The online went out of their way to protect Zeke once he actully got tackle. It was actually funny.

Tex

I understand the kid looks good and has an amazing opportunity, but in my opinion he's being overvalued pretty badly right now- in the top 10 on almost everybody's list (in redraft) and Bloom has him #3 overall. Thats nuts, imo, for someone who hasnt taken a snap in a real NFL game. And can we further consider that Dallas was 21st in RB fantasy points last year (two years ago they were 1st by a long way).  So you're gambling... with a first round pick mind you, that this kid can come out of the gates as a top performing back, and that the Cowboys running game returns to dominance.

Elliot looks like a great prospect, but he isn't Adrian Peterson either. If he were starting for another team, we wouldnt be having this conversation. Rookies are so tough- the pressure could get to him, the assignments might confuse him, he could be a fumbler in the NFL. After a season or two you pretty much know those things about a player, but with a rookie, i dont care how great he looks in preseason or college, history shows until they get under the lights you just dont know.

Of course he could live up to expectation and vie for a top RB1 finish this season, but gambling with an untested rookie with a first round pick is dangerous. As the saying goes, you cant win your league with your first round pick, but you can lose it.

Agreed that Zeke is way overvalued. Rookie RBs, even the elite players, rarely finish top 10 in their rookie season. It takes at least a season to adjust to the NFL. I'm sure he'll be a quality RB2 but I'll let others draft him in the 1st. 

I understand the kid looks good and has an amazing opportunity, but in my opinion he's being overvalued pretty badly right now- in the top 10 on almost everybody's list (in redraft) and Bloom has him #3 overall. Thats nuts, imo, for someone who hasnt taken a snap in a real NFL game. And can we further consider that Dallas was 21st in RB fantasy points last year (two years ago they were 1st by a long way).  So you're gambling... with a first round pick mind you, that this kid can come out of the gates as a top performing back, and that the Cowboys running game returns to dominance.

Elliot looks like a great prospect, but he isn't Adrian Peterson either. If he were starting for another team, we wouldnt be having this conversation. Rookies are so tough- the pressure could get to him, the assignments might confuse him, he could be a fumbler in the NFL. After a season or two you pretty much know those things about a player, but with a rookie, i dont care how great he looks in preseason or college, history shows until they get under the lights you just dont know.

Of course he could live up to expectation and vie for a top RB1 finish this season, but gambling with an untested rookie with a first round pick is dangerous. As the saying goes, you cant win your league with your first round pick, but you can lose it.
Why does he "have" to be Adrian Peterson? Gurley is not Adrian Peterson so I guess he should be discounted too which many did even on this very board. They tried their best to explain why he too would be a bust but they all had to eat crow just like the naysayers who like to hop on and try to go against the grain when it's obvious that Zeke, if healthy is going to rip this league apart THIS year. 

The stars are aligned on this one and you don't have to be an astronomer to see it. Too bad you don't. But hey we all have are opinions that's why we do this! Lol!

Preseason doesn't mean that teams are not playing hard. You obviously didn't watch that game last night. Zeke played against the starters and he practically punched SEA's D right in the mouth. 

Giddy up,

Tex

Since 2000, there have been 12 rookie RBs who have scored more than 200 fantasy points--a little less than 1 per year. 10 of those have been first or second rounders which you could have considered solid prospects. Five of those finished in the top 5 RBs, and all were in the top 10.

It's not rare. 

What would be more rare is for someone like Lamar Miller, with no top-5 finishes and only one 1000-yard season to his credit in four years, to finish in the top 5. Who are you taking instead of Elliott? The next guys after him by ADP are 31-year-old Peterson, suspended Bell, Miller, and Freeman. 

Technically we have seen him run against a real nfl team, one of the better defenses in the nfl nonetheless. Not many rookies are put into such a plus situation as Zeke. Top offensive line, 3 down back skill set(his blocks he made looked like a vet doing it), strong, good vision. 

Not a knock against you, but for the love of God can we stop the saying, "you can't win your league with your first round pick, but you can lose it". So annoying and only makes sense for golf.

So how does the Romo injury affect Zeke?

Mcfadden had 1417 total yards when they had no QB last year... does Zeke still hold first-round value? I think I will take him in the 2nd but I can't spend a first on him now.

Prescott appears to be able to hold his own. Dez is healthy. So if dmac can do it without Dez and crap at QB why can't a better talent do it?

It's less about Romo than it is about Dez in my mind.  If Dez is there, there's still a very real threat.  If Dez isn't there then it's 100% focus on Zeke.  Romo/Dak doesn't matter to me.  

a ploy by his lying x-girlfriend to blackmail for money - she should be charged with false accusations because the damages done to Zeke and more importantly to all women is significant

a ploy by his lying x-girlfriend to blackmail for money - she should be charged with false accusations because the damages done to Zeke and more importantly to all women is significant
Wasn't even his ex-girl, just a hookup chick!

Tex

He certainly didn't avoid contact did he.  Its fun to watch runners like that.  That being said, Morris is going to be on a bunch of my benches this year.
Was about to say that his running style reminds me of Michael Pittman... he runs like a guy that's 20lbs heavier than he actually is. Passes the eyeball test but underwhelmed a bit in lateral agility. Dunno if he'll return top 5 RB value, but hard to imagine anyone busting behind that O-line.

As someone heavily invested in this guy I am feeling underwhelmed. As someone who was also invested in TRich it sure was a familiar feeling. Just kept thinking he would get going and it never happened.

As someone heavily invested in this guy I am feeling underwhelmed. As someone who was also invested in TRich it sure was a familiar feeling. Just kept thinking he would get going and it never happened.
Trent had nearly 1000/11 in his first season, if memory serves me correctly. Plus another 400/1 in receiving. With a missed game.

Just a rookie. Didn't see anything glaringly wrong with his running style though.  He doesn't shy away from contact, or seem hesitant to the hole.  In some instances the Giants were playing good run defense.  This game was close and I am sure the last thing the Cowboys coaching staff wanted to do was have Prescott throw it 45 times.  Elliott's ineffectiveness kind of forced them to that.  Morris was twice as productive from an average perspective.  Not sure if that means anything.  If it continues, Morris will get more carries but Elliott is the future so he'll still get 60%-65% of the work.  For the record, I am not an Elliott owner either.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Was not at all surprised that Morris found more success running on Sunday, he looked like the better back in preseason.

Until Elliot learns to sidestep through the hole quickly, he will continue to struggle... his performance sunday reeks of a rookie who was surprised by the speed of the NFL game. That said, the game plan didn't do him any favors as they did little to take the top off the Giants defense and it seems that Prescott is not yet comfortable "throwing his receivers open". Dumping off to Beasley and Witten isn't exactly going to back the safeties off the LoS.

It wasn't great but they stayed with him and will do so all season.  The holes were simply not there for the most part..and yes having watched every snap there were a couple of plays where there was better blocking for Morris.  I also think NYG will prove a difficult team to run against.

I think Zeke had 15 carries in the first half.  Volume not gonna be the issue.  They have to open it up with Dak a bit to give him some room.

Looked slow and tentative. First game jitters im hoping.
Looked too fast and inpatient to me. 

Holes weren't there but the volume was. He still got 50 and a TD against what looks to be an imposing DL. 

ETA- It's been a long time since Emmitt was drafted so I can't tell if this happens to all RBs who get drafted so high or if it's a Dallas thing, Ohio State thing, or its just personal, but I've noticed an increased aggression towards Zeke by opposing defenders. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said in the Cowboys thread, there was a different game plan when Zeke was in the game.  I only saw a couple runs where he could have cut it up inside instead of bouncing out.  Also, he did seem like he was rushing a bit but the majority of Morris' yards came on a couple runs where he had truck-size holes to run through.  The Giants were routinely playing the run differently when Morris was in there.  I saw only a couple well blocked running plays when Zeke was in the game whereas the majority of Morris' carries were blocked at least sufficiently to gain positive yardage.  I just don't think the Giants were as worried about Morris busting a long one on them.  The burst between the two of them was glaringly apparent but Morris did look like the more seasoned runner.

As I said in the Cowboys thread, there was a different game plan when Zeke was in the game.  I only saw a couple runs where he could have cut it up inside instead of bouncing out.  Also, he did seem like he was rushing a bit but the majority of Morris' yards came on a couple runs where he had truck-size holes to run through.  The Giants were routinely playing the run differently when Morris was in there.  I saw only a couple well blocked running plays when Zeke was in the game whereas the majority of Morris' carries were blocked at least sufficiently to gain positive yardage.  I just don't think the Giants were as worried about Morris busting a long one on them.  The burst between the two of them was glaringly apparent but Morris did look like the more seasoned runner.
With the Redskins game next, are any Zeke owners concerned this game might feature more Morris than Zeke?

With the Redskins game next, are any Zeke owners concerned this game might feature more Morris than Zeke?
Not really.  The Giants spent a ton of money on their defense in the off-season and it's working.  They had a great game plan to go along with the improvement in personnel.  I don't think Washington will be able to stuff the run like NY did.

So Morris can expect a similar split of the carries, even though it's the Redskins, the team that let him walk.

If you're an Elliott owner, keep your eyes on whether he improves his technique as the season goes on. One thing that struck me is that whenever he didn't have a hole right in front of him, he would a) just keep trucking forward behind his blockers or b) turn his shoulder pads perpendicular and run parallel to the LoS (BAD)

A I think can be solved with some patience, but B is worrisome. Elliott does a very poor job of squaring his pads to the LoS when making his cuts. A glaring example of this can be seen at the 0:52 mark here, resulting in a Daniel Thomas-esque fall forward backwards move. Dallas media and FF owners alike have been making a lot of excuses for him this week, but as of now, he doesn't seem like a RB that can create holes for himself.

as of ONE game w a new QB taking over in a divisional match-up? 
That's interesting that you're using "a new QB" as an excuse. Why isn't "a new RB" an excuse being used for Dak despite him not lighting up the scoreboard as a FF QB? 

As of now Dak looks like he belongs in the NFL. Elliott looks overwhelmed.

That's interesting that you're using "a new QB" as an excuse. Why isn't "a new RB" an excuse being used for Dak despite him not lighting up the scoreboard as a FF QB? 

To be fair zeke didnt get the reps in camp bc of the hammy. I expect him to look like what we all tbought come week 4-6.

Conditioning could be an issue bc u cant simulate the game aspect plus he doesnt take hits in practice. He was patient later in the game along with showong better vision but its going take time. Technique needs work but all of this is repetition based. The screen game needs work and seems linehein/dak/zeke combo isnt tgere yet. 

Hence pressing and we all know its understable esp being a dallas cowboy who's supposed to be the next coming

He is brash Rookie that was talking about breaking Dickersons rookie mark. I get it but right now he has to focus and not get frustrated. Embrace the humble pie and realize Morris is a good vet to listen to/watch.  

8th most rushing yds in the league. Tied w David "2nd coming of Jesus" Johnson, and a bunch more than Gurley. 

Have a nap w this malarkey 

8th most rushing yds in the league. Tied w David "2nd coming of Jesus" Johnson, and a bunch more than Gurley. 

Have a nap w this malarkey 
Really? You're gonna cherrypick stats this early in the season? OK I'll bite... how about we compare him to another starter w/ the same YPC (3.3) and a generous amount of attempts? Carlos Hyde, the guy he replaced at OSU... has managed this avg playing against 2 of the best front 7s in the league in an offense devoid of talent with a target on his back every play. And here we have Elliott who manages the same with a stud WR, possibly the best O-line in the league, and arguably a more capable passer. 

Paint it how you want, but given his situation (which for all practical purposes was part of the reason he was so hyped as a FF RB), the guy just looks mediocre at the moment. I'm not saying he's not going to get better, but c'mon lesbihonest here... so far he's looked like a guy that gets what's blocked, nothing more. In my book that's JAG.

Users who are viewing this thread