What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Giovani Bernard, TB (4 Viewers)

I've pointing out before that Bernard is almost a clone of Brian Westbrook. In Westbrook's case he wasn't used much as a rookie but was a top 20 RB his second year with only 117 carries. I expect Bernard to be more involved as a rookie than Westbrook was but there's a good chance BJGE keeps most of the 1st and 2nd down carries and limits his fantasy impact this year.

I remember being very high on Westbrook before the combine but then being less exited about him because of the measuarables. I thought Westbrook would be faster than he timed 4.57 40 and I also thought his agility was special but the 3 cone time was not 7.09 seconds. Although neither of these numbers are bad they do not special either. Westbrook did have an impressive bench with 26 reps and the vertical leap of 37 inches is good for a RB as well. I was not looking at jump drills for RB at that time though. I pay more attention to it now.

Bernard is 4.53 40 6.91 3 cone 19 bench reps 33.5 vertical. Bernard had 122 inch broad jump to Westbrooks 118. Which to me makes the jump numbers somewhat the same. Westbrook was a stronger player (helps his pass blocking) but Bernard is slightly faster and more agile than Westbrook measured as.

What I learned from Westbrook though is to not put too much stock into these numbers. He certainly looked like a RB who would make a lot of defenders miss and just an all around good football player, which Bernard also looks to be.

I see a lot of Ray Rice in Bernard. If I had the #1 rookie pick, I would take Bernard.

Golden rule of dynasty rookie drafts for me is take talent over opportunity. If people drafted on initial playing time, they would miss out on running backs like Ray Rice, Shaun Alexander, and Duece McCallister.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000203008/article/giovani-bernard-preps-complement-role-with-bengals

Giovani Bernard preps 'complement' role with Bengals

By Kevin Patra NFL.com

The Cincinnati Bengals' offense got a lot more explosive after the 2013 NFL Draft.

Second-round pick Giovani Bernard is one of those pieces who will play a key role in the offense as a rookie.

The former North Carolina running back told "NFL AM" on Wednesday morning that he is excited to share the backfield with veteran BenJarvus Green-Ellis. When pressed about his role, he said he is there to be a shifty complement to the incumbent.

"I think it's more so a complementary kind of thing," Bernard said. "I think we are both going to help each other out. I definitely had a chance to talk to him, and he's the leader of that pack, he's the leader of the guys. I'm going to be following his footsteps, so I'm going to do whatever I can to help him. He's going to help me."

The rookie apparently knows how to be politically correct.

It wouldn't be a surprise to see the shifty Bernard as the featured back before long. Running back is one of the few positions rookies can come in to the NFL and seamlessly contribute right away -- as long as they quickly learn how to pass block.

Bernard's size, 5-foot-8, has led him to be compared to the likes of Ray Rice and Doug Martin. Those comparisons sit well with the rookie.

"Those guys have the same stature as I do, they're definitely shifty, they are definitely open-field type guys, but they can still run inside zones, outside zones or whatever, and catch the ball out of the backfield on a string," Bernard said. "For me, it's just going out there just being me, at the end of the day that is all I can do."

Follow Kevin Patra on Twitter @kpatra.

Rotoworld:

Running backs coach Hue Jackson said second-rounder Giovani Bernard could line up as a wideout in some formations this season.
The Bengals want to get Bernard the ball in space. "He's so natural catching the ball. He can catch it like a receiver," Jackson said. During two seasons as North Carolina's feature back, Bernard hauled in 92 passes for 852 yards and scored six receiving touchdowns. He will be the lightning to BenJarvus Green-Ellis' thunder this season, gaining some extra value in PPR formats.

Source: bengals.com

Rotoworld:

Bengals RBs coach Hue Jackson believes second-round RB Giovani Bernard could be an every-down player.
"Having evaluated him and watched every game he played. ... He has that skill set where I think he could play and be an every down player," Jackson said of the No. 37 overall pick. Jackson let slip earlier this week that Bernard could line up as a receiver in certain formations. BenJarvus Green-Ellis is still likely to begin the year as the Bengals' early-down back, but Bernard is the player to own for fantasy purposes.

Rotoworld:

Bengals OC Jay Gruden indicated he's been very impressed with rookie RB Giovani Bernard in the early days of camp.
"He's got great feet," said Gruden. "... He'll bounce around; make a lot of people miss. If he gets in the open field, he's dangerous." Perhaps most importantly, Gruden is pleased with Bernard's ability to pick up the blitz. "He's picked up the system pretty well," Gruden added. "He's picked up the protections very well." With only plodder BenJarvus Green-Ellis in his way, Bernard is going to make himself awfully difficult for the Bengals to take off the field.

Giovani Bernard, BenJarvus Green-Ellis to split carries?By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

Published: July 25, 2013 at 11:23 a.m.

Updated: July 25, 2013 at 03:49 p.m .

As we've harped on during our divisional breakdowns on the Around The League Podcast, there's only so much you can learn during training camp.

No, we won't unearth every nuance of Chip Kelly's up-tempo attack on the Philadelphia Eagles, but injuries and emerging rookies can be tracked with some accuracy. One of those emerging first-year players, running back Giovani Bernard, figures to play a big role for the Cincinnati Bengals.

That's the word from offensive coordinator Jay Gruden, who hinted to The Cincinnati Enquirer that Bernard might see a 50-50 split in carries with last year's bell cow, BenJarvus Green-Ellis.

Makes sense to us. Bernard, the top back taken in the 2013 NFL Draft, impressed Bengals coaches with his speed in offseason workouts, prompting running backs aide Hue Jackson to suggest Bernard might even see time at wide receiver. Bottom line: Bernard is Saturday night; Green-Ellis is Sunday morning. The rookie brings life to this backfield.

The Bengals occasionally were a snoozefest on offense last season, but with Bernard in-house and rookie tight end Tyler Eifert being used in multiple ways, this attack should do damage in the AFC North. As we've seen with Josh Freeman on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Sam Bradford on the St. Louis Rams, the Bengals have surrounded their young quarterback, Andy Dalton, with a generous helping of weapons. There are no excuses in 2013.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

Feel out the guys sitting from about 3-5. See if there's someone who they are utterly giddy about drafting and if so, try to trade down. With everyone saying basically the same thing, that 1.1 through 1.6 is a six-sided coinflip (if only someone would invent a six-sided randomizer to help make this analogy better....), see if you can get some value for the pick and still have the chance at Gio.

And while you're feeling things out, be sure to drop a subtle "I've talked to one guy who said he'd go with Austin, and another guy wants Lacy... I've even had one guy say he would take Bernard first overall, which I think is just crazy..."

I'm at 1.7 in my draft and I change my mind daily regarding the top 7 - I agree on the 6 or 7 sided coin toss!

At 1.1 though, I wouldn't hesitate to take Gio. Mainly due to RB scarcity, for the league, but also my team needs an RB, (I am stacked at WR).

In my position at 1.7, I find it harder to simply take the best RB avail when the WR talent is a little better. I'd like to be a strictly BPA guy, but RB deficiency has me looking at mediocre backs. I rank the RB's: Gio, Bell, Micheal, Lattimore. I am scared of Lacy/Ball and would rather take a longshot on Lattimore/Micheal where I know upside is there despite the risk.

This will all change tomorrow in my head I'm sure, but Gio at 1.1 seems safe to me.

Bernard getting praised for his pass pro is interesting. Getting or staying on the field in all situations is usually dependant on this skill more than any other. Bernard may be in line for more opportunities than originally thought just because of this. Opportunity + talent = FF points.

Oh and 6 sided coinflip? Really? Ummmm, roll of the die?

Die, thank you. That was dumb of me. I guess you could technically flip a coin 3 times, assigning one player heads or tails per flip.
That would only trim it down to 3 from 6. Then you'd need three sided coin to break the tie :lol:
result 1-2 = 1

result 3-4 = 2

result 5-6 = 3

:nerd:

FWIW I had Gio as the number two rookie pre draft although I did like him more as a player than Lacy even then. Too many draftniks/scouting services that I read had Lacy #1 overall however for me to rank against them considering most of the basis of my information about these players comes from them. Here is a predraft RB ranking thread from just before the draft you might find interesting: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=680905&hl=

The NFL draft Bernard was the 1st RB taken which made it very easy for me to rank him there and drop Lacy pretty far once the news about the toe injury and other things came to light in regards to Lacy.

I like Bernard because he is a complete RB and a guy who is very elusive which I think is helpful not only for the players performance but also as a part of avoiding injuries. Of course an injury can happen at any time to any player. For dynasty I would rather have the player who can avoid contact than one who seeks contact. This is an important contrast to me when looking at Lacy and Bernard as long term prospects. Bernard's abilities as a receiver also make him more match up resistant than a power RB not as involved in the passing games for those games when the team is not playing with a lead/faces tough run defense.

One thing to keep in mind with all of these players is that none of them were 1st round picks. They do not offer the same value that you should expect from legit 1st round RB picks. I think Bernard is the closest RB to that out of the whole group, and that should make it a pretty easy choice of Bernard as the 1st overall pick as well.

I do see Bell in line for more rushing attempts than Bernard as rookies but in terms of receptions and yards I can still see Bernard performing close to Bell even on less total touches. Once Bernard makes the law firm expendable I expect him to out perform Bell from 2014 on if not this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

The Cincinnati Enquirer's Joe Reedy predicted on SportsCenter Thursday Giovani Bernard and BenJarvus Green-Ellis will open the season sharing carries "50:50."
"Probably 50-50 as far as the split for carries with BenJarvus Green-Ellis," said Reedy when discussing impressive rookie Bernard. Bernard will also dominate catches in Cincy's backfield, giving him the potential for 13-16 touches a game to open the year if he's getting about ten carries. Due to his massive talent edge on Law Firm, we expect Bernard's role to grow steadily as the year progresses.

Related: BenJarvus Green-Ellis

Rotoworld:

The Cincinnati Enquirer's Joe Reedy predicted on SportsCenter Thursday Giovani Bernard and BenJarvus Green-Ellis will open the season sharing carries "50:50."
"Probably 50-50 as far as the split for carries with BenJarvus Green-Ellis," said Reedy when discussing impressive rookie Bernard. Bernard will also dominate catches in Cincy's backfield, giving him the potential for 13-16 touches a game to open the year if he's getting about ten carries. Due to his massive talent edge on Law Firm, we expect Bernard's role to grow steadily as the year progresses.

Related: BenJarvus Green-Ellis
More I see of the kid, the more I think he takes over before midseason, if not sooner. He's still the only legit 3 down back this year IMO. Add in an elite WR that will get those 8 guys out of the box + plus a fantastic running O line = sky's the limit for this kid.

Historically I just haven't loved Bell, but I have to admit that he also offers 3-down potential.
You are probably right, guess I just need to see him play to get sold on him. I'm not sure he'll be able to break all those tackles in the NFL. I just don't see the explosiveness in him to be a RB1.

Of course if he's getting 300 carries, it probably doesn't matter.

Historically I just haven't loved Bell, but I have to admit that he also offers 3-down potential.
You are probably right, guess I just need to see him play to get sold on him. I'm not sure he'll be able to break all those tackles in the NFL. I just don't see the explosiveness in him to be a RB1. Of course if he's getting 300 carries, it probably doesn't matter.
Yeah, this is exactly where I'm at. I don't love him, but if he accumulates at least 280 carries and 30+ catches, plus goal line work, he's going to put up some serious numbers. We'll see how he fares, efficiency-wise.

Bengals' Giovani Bernard is one tough critic

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

The expectations for the Cincinnati Bengals' Giovani Bernard are higher than most of this year's second-round picks.

For one, Bernard was the first running back selected in the draft. Another reason is Bernard has one of the starring roles in HBO's "Hard Knocks." I actually don't even remember seeing BenJarvus Green-Ellis, who is the Bengals' starting running back, in the first episode.

But, judging by Bernard's recent comments, no critic is tougher than himself. Bernard wasn't happy about his performance in the preseason opener last week, when he managed 44 total yards on 13 touches (10 carries and three catches).

“For me, if I were to give myself a grade, I wouldn’t even want to put the grade out there,” Bernard told The Cincinnati Enquirer. “I am really hard on myself. That’s just how I am. That’s how I’ve always been.”

Most have compared the 5-foot-9, 208-pound to the Baltimore Ravens' Ray Rice (5-8, 212) and the Jacksonville Jaguars' Maurice Jones-Drew (5-7, 210), both of whom were second-round picks as well. But you have to remember Rice and Jones-Drew weren't Pro Bowl runners as rookies. In fact, they weren't even starters like Bernard.

In 2008, Rice was in a running back-by-committee with Willis McGahee and Le'Ron McClain. He had 454 yards rushing on 107 carries and 33 catches for 273 yards receiving. That's an average of 10.7 touches per game.

In 2006, Jones-Drew backed up an established back in Fred Taylor. Jones-Drew ran for 941 yards on 166 carries, and added 46 receptions for 436 yards. That's an average of 13.2 touches per game.

If Bernard reached these types of numbers as a rookie, the Bengals would be pleased with this immediate production as well as what lies ahead with this explosive runner.

Bernard getting praised for his pass pro is interesting. Getting or staying on the field in all situations is usually dependant on this skill more than any other. Bernard may be in line for more opportunities than originally thought just because of this. Opportunity + talent = FF points.

Lots of guys with opportunity and talent that f'ed it up. Don't forget hard work.

green ellis is still the starter right? what kind of split are we looking at here?
just a matter of time before BJGE is on the pine
is this just a feeling or do we have evidence from the coaches/team to back this up? starting to wonder if gio is a better pick than bell in redraft....
its based on the logic that the more talented player will over take the hard working vet player type

I wouldn't doubt that this season its a RBBC. with Gio being a COP/3rd down type gradually taking over, will BJGE gets some early down and goalline

Depends on Gio ability to block. not fumble etc.

green ellis is still the starter right? what kind of split are we looking at here?
just a matter of time before BJGE is on the pine
is this just a feeling or do we have evidence from the coaches/team to back this up? starting to wonder if gio is a better pick than bell in redraft....
its based on the logic that the more talented player will over take the hard working vet player type

I wouldn't doubt that this season its a RBBC. with Gio being a COP/3rd down type gradually taking over, will BJGE gets some early down and goalline

Depends on Gio ability to block. not fumble etc.
i hear you. sounds like bell is still the better play for this coming season then...

Not really. Bernard has a better offensive line and supporting cast around him than Bell does. A better defense as well.

I like Bell quite a bit too and I think he will be a decent weapon as a receiver also, but not as good a receiver as Bernard.

I really want him, but I don't want to reach. Is round 5-6 reasonable?
I saw him in the 5th in a redraft friday. Had the choice between him and lacy for my rb3. Took lacy. I have another Draft today, may take gio if given the same choice. I want to say gio slipped to late 6th which seems like a grea pick there. 5th seems just a bit high, but if you want him, you should take him there...

Bernard really seems like the one rookie RB that has the potential to be a top 5 RB this year as long as Lewis widens up and gives him 60+% of the carries. I think he's easily a mid to late 5th.

Bernard really seems like the one rookie RB that has the potential to be a top 5 RB this year as long as Lewis widens up and gives him 60+% of the carries. I think he's easily a mid to late 5th.
By end of year, I think he takes the majority of carries and is very relevant. Drafting 10th in 10 team league tonight, wanted to take him at 5.10, but might have to take him at 4.01 which doesn't feel right. Might do it anyways.

By end of year, I think he takes the majority of carries and is very relevant. Drafting 10th in 10 team league tonight, wanted to take him at 5.10, but might have to take him at 4.01 which doesn't feel right. Might do it anyways.
Got him in the 12th rd in a 12 man league a couple of weeks ago.

Grabbed him in the 7th round of a 10 team draft last night. Hoping he sees the field early and earns majority playing time before long. Have yet to see him play, but if the Ray Rice comparisons are accurate, I can't wait.

Grabbed him in four of my 5 drafts. I am IN.... completely.

He's got superstar written all over him. Dynamic ability, great O-line and some plodding attorney won't keep him off the field.

ETA: 2 keeper leagues, 2 redrafts

I didn't even think twice about taking him at 3.08 in my 24 year 12 man league after alot of RB's went first three rounds and guys like Andre Johnson, Victor Cruz and Roddy White were gone in front of me in the third round. After watching the Bengals preseason games on DVR I'm sold on this kid and didn't want to take a chance that he would be gone early 4th round and not make it back to me. The guy drafting behind me said he was taking Bernard if he was there.

Got him at 1.5 in Dynasty 3 weeks ago (Rookie and Vet draft). I was planning to draft Patterson or Austin at that spot but I didn't expect Gio to fall to me but this was a no-brainer. It took me a few minutes to pick him as I was so shocked he fell to me. My team mates will regret allowing him to fall to me.

Giddy up,

Tex

Took him at 7.3 in my local league last Thursday night to a lot of blank looks and confused "who?" type comments. I guess I was the only one watching pre-season and Hard Knocks. Let's hope the Bengals give him the touches that his talent clearly warrants.

Looking at his Carolina tape, Bernard lacked the power to run through trash with the same ease as a guy like Westbrook or Rice. He will have to convince me he can do it in on a weekly basis before I start buying this guy. Future sproles or reggie bush? maybe. No way do I consider this guy a future elite back.

Looking at his Carolina tape, Bernard lacked the power to run through trash with the same ease as a guy like Westbrook or Rice. He will have to convince me he can do it in on a weekly basis before I start buying this guy. Future sproles or reggie bush? maybe. No way do I consider this guy a future elite back.
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder because I've watched at least 10 games and LOVED what I saw.

Good luck

Got him in my big league in round 12, yes its a 10 team non ppr, standard TD league, but round 12? I had to look to see if he was hurt as he kept slipping. It's not a guppy league even though it's very guppy to let that potential keep sliding, heck I let it happen 11 times. Hope he pans out, would not mind seeing a mini van driver have a great season.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder because I've watched at least 10 games and LOVED what I saw.
:goodposting:

I agree, he's not going to be powering through arm tackles but neither was Brian Westbrook. It's all about how you want to use this guy, imo. He's such a threat on draws, screens, dumpoffs, that the inside of the field will open up for him by virtue of defenses playing to stop him on the outside.

Definitely a better value in PPR (like McCoy) but if he bulks up and refines his game the sky is absolutely the limit for him.

Users who are viewing this thread