What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Giovani Bernard, TB (3 Viewers)

Gio scored three 1-yard TDs (with ease) in the preseason. I don't see him having any issues running between the tackles, at least not at the goal line. And if he's going to get THAT role when the real games start, BJGE is virtually useless.

Anyone torn between Gio and Lamar Miller?
No, Gio easily.
In redraft it is Miller by a lot. In dynasty it is pretty close, I think I would take Bernard
X
What don't you like about Miller long term?
I am not sure if you are asking me or not, I like both players long term, I just think Bernard's ceiling is just a little higher.

No, Gio easily.
In redraft it is Miller by a lot. In dynasty it is pretty close, I think I would take Bernard
X
What don't you like about Miller long term?
It's more LOVING Gio than hating Miller. But Miller doesn't strike me as a can't-miss prospect.
I love Gio too. I didn't think Miller looked bad either and wouldn't be shocked if he went for 1250 in Miami for years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, Gio easily.
I can see an argument in redrafts if you think BJGE won't step aside quietly. In keeper leagues? Not close, IMO.
I thought by the notion of the OP it was a dynasty/keeper question.
I wasn't sure. Figured it couldn't hurt to address both scenarios. I think it's also important to realize that the Dolphins have a bottom 1/3 of the league O-line. Cincy has a tough, nasty line. Gio figures to have an easier path to big yardage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bernard may be this year's offensive rookie of the year. I was thinking he would run away with it, but now I'm starting to think Lacy may have something to say about it. Never the less this kid's potential is through the roof after seeing he has a nose for the endzone. Not always about power at the goal line, finesse works just as good.

Watching a lot of the Bengals game and it is just a matter of time before Gio is the man in Cinci.

BJGE is awful!

Yep, 14 carries for 25 yards for BJGE. He's such a stiff. How long can they possibly want to keep watching that garbage?

I'm hoping you guys are right Gio. I didn't get to see any of that game only the highlights on NFL.com and I was disappoint that they gave BJGE the ball inside the Red Zone instead of Gio.

I'm afraid our coaching staff is quite stubborn with this sort of thing :(

BJGE's touchdown may be enough for him to keep getting too many carries :(

-QG

I think it was his first carry - he came close to busting a long one but ran into his own guy about 6 yds downfield - it will come

The difference in Giovani and BJGE is so stark that it boggles the mind. However, deference to the veteran may have cost the Bengals this game.

You can't trot out a goalline back and keep an explosive talent off the field. That makes no sense.

Marvin will be feeling the heat for that one. Time to take the training wheels off. Get this guy involved.

The difference in Giovani and BJGE is so stark that it boggles the mind. However, deference to the veteran may have cost the Bengals this game.

You can't trot out a goalline back and keep an explosive talent off the field. That makes no sense.

Marvin will be feeling the heat for that one. Time to take the training wheels off. Get this guy involved.
Is offensive personnel Marvin's call or Gruden's call?

Be patient guys. The AFC North is way down this year and the Bengals have as good of a shot as anyone to win it. Marvin Lewis is watching the games too. They lost a close game that may end up costing them big-time later on. Part of that was because their leading ball carrier could only muster 2+ yards per touch. The coaching staff is only going to be loyal for so long. Eventually, they're going to play their best players. They already lost one game. They can't afford many more because they're getting nothing from their ground game.

I'd say this is the norm rather than the exception, smart to "work" a rookie in. BJGE is pretty reliable around the goal line and runs hard. Rookies, in this scenario, are almost always over rated while experience is under rated. It's like buying a new car, it's great, burt after a couple months you still find yourself sometimes using the old truck, huh, what do ya know, it works good. One guy in my league (large keeper) traded Chris Johnson for Gio, imo hurts his chances this year, could be a good move long term.

i shouldn't have rushed him into my lineup.. that was a mistake

wont cut him, but will need to stash him probably for 6 weeks before he emerges....

Guys, BJGE is not going away this year unless he gets injured.
He's not going away, true. But he's a poor talent and always has been. BJGE will be the goalline back and will likely start the game. But Giovani will slowly be worked into the lineup.

This Sunday, he was worked into the lineup far too slowly.

I think this game may be exactly what Bernard owners needed (at least the one that didn't start him this week ;) ).

Close loss, that COULD have been a win with a better running game. Lewis may be stubborn, but I don't think he's dumb.

BJGE had three straight negative yardage carries on first downs in the 3rd quarter. This whole business of "He's very reliable, at least he doesn't go backwards." just isn't true. The dude doesn't have it.

He's not going away, true. But he's a poor talent and always has been. BJGE will be the goalline back and will likely start the game. But Giovani will slowly be worked into the lineup.

This is the problem with Bernard owners. You are convincing yourself BJGE is worse than he really is. BJGE is never going to be confused with an elite or top back but to say he is a poor one is just as misleading. He's an average to above average RB. The guy does have 2 1,000 yd seasons and both were not complete seasons. He's a good compliment to Bernard as a tough, reliable downhill runner. He will continue to get most GL work and continue to eat heavily into the carries. BJGE is also not as bad as his stat line from week one suggests.

This is the problem with Bernard owners. You are convincing yourself BJGE is worse than he really is. BJGE is never going to be confused with an elite or top back but to say he is a poor one is just as misleading. He's an average to above average RB. The guy does have 2 1,000 yd seasons and both were not complete seasons.He's a good compliment to Bernard as a tough, reliable downhill runner. He will continue to get most GL work and continue to eat heavily into the carries. BJGE is also not as bad as his stat line from week one suggests.
Statistically, and by anything my eyes told me, BJGE was one of the worst runners in the NFL last year. Week 1 looked about the same. He's not even good as his supposed "strengths". He's a mediocre goal-line runner and NOT a good early down runner. He puts you in a hole every series he kicks off.

His good seasons came in NE when the deck was stacked in his favor. The "plod straight ahead and get whatever you can reliably" worked there, on that team. It doesn't work everywhere.

Maybe it was in this thread or another one dedicated to the Cincy RBs, but statistically BJGE was, in fact, among the worst goal line backs in the NFL last year.

Of course, I'm not sure Lewis is poring over those stats but may be focused on a stout back that can push the pile. Who knows.

Maybe it was in this thread or another one dedicated to the Cincy RBs, but statistically BJGE was, in fact, among the worst goal line backs in the NFL last year.

Of course, I'm not sure Lewis is poring over those stats but may be focused on a stout back that can push the pile. Who knows.
He's easily in the bottom five of starting NFL backs. Ideal situation for Bernard and he took one step forward in game one. Green-Ellis had 15 touches for 29 yards (1.9 yards per touch). Bernard had 5 touches for 30 yards. More yards than Green-Ellis on ten less touches. 6 yards per touch. The picture became clearer for coach Lewis yesterday in their loss. It'll keep becoming more obvious.

He's easily in the bottom five of starting NFL backs. Ideal situation for Bernard and he took one step forward in game one. Green-Ellis had 15 touches for 29 yards (1.9 yards per touch). Bernard had 5 touches for 30 yards. More yards than Green-Ellis on ten less touches. 6 yards per touch. The picture became clearer for coach Lewis yesterday in their loss. It'll keep becoming more obvious.
I'm telling you BJGE getting the touchdown will muddy up Marvin's thinking more than you realize :(

-QG

And how long can you wait until Lewis has it become clear? No coach in his right mind is making massive changes after one week. What if BJGE has a good week next week?

And how long can you wait until Lewis has it become clear? No coach in his right mind is making massive changes after one week. What if BJGE has a good week next week?
I'd say if you drafted Bernard expecting him to be your RB1 or RB2 in the early part of the season, you made a mistake. Everyone knew that BJGE was going to be the starter.

I don't think there will be a 'massive change' at any point. It will be a slow phase out of Green-Ellis. By week four, his touches may be down to 10-12. After that, maybe an even split with Bernard. Eventually, Bernard getting the majority. It's all just conjecture at this point. A huge game by either would throw that timeline off. I'd predict that by week six, Bernard is getting 15 touches a game or more.

1) As long as it takes. I didn't start Bernard and don't plan to next week, but I think this game was a step in the right direction. Not just because of the running stats, but because of the loss. It is ENTIRELY possible the Bengals win that game with a more productive running game.

2) The change doesn't have to be massive. Putting a better runner in for two thirds of the work instead of one third of the work is not a massive change from an overall gameplan standpoint. It's not like he would switching offensive schemes.

3) Don't hold your breath. ;)

1) As long as it takes. I didn't start Bernard and don't plan to next week, but I think this game was a step in the right direction. Not just because of the running stats, but because of the loss. It is ENTIRELY possible the Bengals win that game with a more productive running game.

2) The change doesn't have to be massive. Putting a better runner in for two thirds of the work instead of one third of the work is not a massive change from an overall gameplan standpoint. It's not like he would switching offensive schemes.

3) Don't hold your breath. ;)
The bolded part is huge IMO

That was in the spotlight thread. I posted the stats on both of BJGE's supposed strengths - goal line running and early down running. He was well below average at both. For the early down work, he might have been dead last among guys who are still "starting" the following year. I remember he was right around guys like Turner.

With BJGE running for less than 2 ypg you can see why GB wasn't fed the rock. Give the most talented back the ball and you may win that game.

Users who are viewing this thread