What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB J.K. Dobbins, LAC (9 Viewers)

The Baltimore beat writer over at The Athletic (among others) have been saying Dobbins going on the PUP List is a possibility since last Winter. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

The Ravens brain-trust are some of the best liars in the business and they are borderline paranoid about releasing ANY news. At this time of year don't listen to anything Harbaugh, De Costa, or the rest say at press conferences unless it's really specific ("specific" = "he passed away yesterday").

Let's see what training camp and the preseason holds.

The Baltimore beat writer over at The Athletic (among others) have been saying Dobbins going on the PUP List is a possibility since last Winter. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

The Ravens brain-trust are some of the best liars in the business and they are borderline paranoid about releasing ANY news. At this time of year don't listen to anything Harbaugh, De Costa, or the rest say at press conferences unless it's really specific ("specific" = "he passed away yesterday").

Let's see what training camp and the preseason holds.
I guess RayGQ and the other guy are just guys making a prediction of the PUP designation.  I happen to know that RayGQ is one of the most in the know guys for fantasy (especially devy content) that there is on the internet.  I'm not saying he's in the know for every player, but I trust him more than most.  Besides, watching video of Dobbins on the sidelines instead of participating is a tell tell.

I guess RayGQ and the other guy are just guys making a prediction of the PUP designation.  I happen to know that RayGQ is one of the most in the know guys for fantasy (especially devy content) that there is on the internet.  I'm not saying he's in the know for every player, but I trust him more than most.  Besides, watching video of Dobbins on the sidelines instead of participating is a tell tell.
I'm sorry for my lack of understanding - are you agreeing or disagreeing with what I posted?

Jeff Z over at The Athletic posted an article this morning about several Ravens coming off of season-ending injury. Since it's behind a pay wall, I won't quote the entire blurb on Dobbins. Here are the last three sentences (these are the author's words, not anyway who works for the Ravens):

Publicly, the Ravens insist he’s on track and say they expect him to be a factor in 2022. It’s probably highly unlikely, though, that Dobbins plays in the preseason. Him starting camp on the physically unable to perform list is a logical expectation.

I agree with you.  Someone earlier stated we shouldn't be listening to the two guys I posted a video discussing Dobbins.
Because those are fantasy football analysts discussing speculation- it wasn’t “news” and that was my point.

Could Dobbins start the season on the PUP list? Sure, it’s a possibility. But we knew that already - two fantasy guys discussing adds nothing imo.

Because those are fantasy football analysts discussing speculation- it wasn’t “news” and that was my point.

Could Dobbins start the season on the PUP list? Sure, it’s a possibility. But we knew that already - two fantasy guys discussing adds nothing imo.
OK thanks.

Dr. Chao and some lady who writes fantasy related  medical write ups for The Athletic are all saying the same thing. That he has a good chance of starting season on the PUP, will take a longer time to be effective and not 100% until 2023.

Dr. Chao and some lady who writes fantasy related  medical write ups for The Athletic are all saying the same thing. That he has a good chance of starting season on the PUP, will take a longer time to be effective and not 100% until 2023.
I think that is the way that fantasy managers should prepare themselves for 2022. Even if Dobbins plays, Baltimore might have him on a pitch count. Not seeing him play during TC and the preseason means you'll be flying blind with what he's able to do. The good thing is that he was at OTAs, though he didn't take part in any of the team drills. Gus Edwards wasn't there at all.

I think that is the way that fantasy managers should prepare themselves for 2022. Even if Dobbins plays, Baltimore might have him on a pitch count. Not seeing him play during TC and the preseason means you'll be flying blind with what he's able to do. The good thing is that he was at OTAs, though he didn't take part in any of the team drills. Gus Edwards wasn't there at all.
Why didn’t the Ravens do more to build up their RB room I’m your opinion? Mike Davis was their only singing and they waited until Round 7 in the draft. I suppose they were able to make Freeman look viable last year though.

I don’t doubt that Dobbins may start on the PUP but when I do let doubt creep in, it’s because a smart organization seems to think he’ll be healthy. That’s the odd disconnect here

Why didn’t the Ravens do more to build up their RB room I’m your opinion? Mike Davis was their only singing and they waited until Round 7 in the draft. I suppose they were able to make Freeman look viable last year though.

I don’t doubt that Dobbins may start on the PUP but when I do let doubt creep in, it’s because a smart organization seems to think he’ll be healthy. That’s the odd disconnect here
They're rolling the dice a little that either Edwards or Dobbins (or both) will get a good part of the way there this season. They are already better-set with the Davis signing, though. He'll have been there through all of the preseason, whereas last year they had to scramble last-minute right before week one. Plus, the OL went to #### early on in 2021 - it looks a little more prepared to weather the inevitable problems that arise during the season in 2022. (Now watch every single one get hurt by July 20th)

I agree that PUP seems to frighten people more than it should sometimes. But Dobbins being on that list at the start of camp isn't - to me - a big deal. I expect that to happen and I also don't expect him to play in any preseason game no matter how healthy he is. Same with Edwards. 

I don't really care about the FF side of it (unless I draft him), but I think folks that do should proceed with caution and am not sure that the situation will resolve itself completely this year. I fully expect the "Ravens RBs Are A Mess" threads to start by week 2.

It will be over a year since his injury when the season starts, which is plenty of time.  I can understand if he doesn't play in preseason but if he starts on the PUP that either means his recovery isn't progressing according to the normal schedule or the Ravens don't think they need him for the first month of the season.

They're rolling the dice a little that either Edwards or Dobbins (or both) will get a good part of the way there this season. They are already better-set with the Davis signing, though. He'll have been there through all of the preseason, whereas last year they had to scramble last-minute right before week one. Plus, the OL went to #### early on in 2021 - it looks a little more prepared to weather the inevitable problems that arise during the season in 2022. (Now watch every single one get hurt by July 20th)

I agree that PUP seems to frighten people more than it should sometimes. But Dobbins being on that list at the start of camp isn't - to me - a big deal. I expect that to happen and I also don't expect him to play in any preseason game no matter how healthy he is. Same with Edwards. 

I don't really care about the FF side of it (unless I draft him), but I think folks that do should proceed with caution and am not sure that the situation will resolve itself completely this year. I fully expect the "Ravens RBs Are A Mess" threads to start by week 2.
I 100% expect him to be on pre-season PUP. I was more concerned with him starting the season on PUP and missing 6 games. I could seen Davis leading the committee early with Dobbins picking up steam as the season progresses. Seems like maybe that’s what you’re saying as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're drafting mid-August, where do you take him?
It would depend on what the news has been. I draft late August though.

I have him on a dynasty team but it’s in rebuild mode so him being on the PUP would actually help me with that team - although I’d rather see him active all season.

It would depend on what the news has been. I draft late August though.

I have him on a dynasty team but it’s in rebuild mode so him being on the PUP would actually help me with that team - although I’d rather see him active all season.
That's the thing, though: I don't think there's going to be much news (or at least not much evidence) when most FF drafts take place. Unless something bad happens, that is. I mean, you'll get some beat writers saying his workouts look good or he looks tentative or whatever. And you'll get Harbaugh lying through his teeth and throwing smokescreens out there.

In a redraft, if what I suspect is going to take place happens, I wouldn't do anything earlier than a late round flyer.

I'm with you on your dynasty take.

There's certainly plenty of time to make a call on Dobbins (FF wise).  But why would the Ravens not have him on the sideline at OTA's?  Guy had surgery 9/10.  May 24-June 16 is the 8-9 month mark from that date.

Let's say he starts camp on PUP...he could be on PUP for a month and then be taken off two weeks prior to the seasons start.

That said, with Edwards and Mike Davis in the fold...this situation simply screams RBBC in 2022 where Dobbins/Edward/Davis split carries 160/160/80.

There's certainly plenty of time to make a call on Dobbins (FF wise).  But why would the Ravens not have him on the sideline at OTA's?  Guy had surgery 9/10.  May 24-June 16 is the 8-9 month mark from that date.

Let's say he starts camp on PUP...he could be on PUP for a month and then be taken off two weeks prior to the seasons start.

That said, with Edwards and Mike Davis in the fold...this situation simply screams RBBC in 2022 where Dobbins/Edward/Davis split carries 160/160/80.
Dobbins was there. He watched and also did some individual drills during the portions the media was allowed to observe. Edwards wasn't there at all.

TheDirtyWord said:

It's interesting you're worried about Dobbins but convienently pencil in Edwards as if he's full strength. And did you not watch Davis last year? Guy was stuck in mud. 

Dobbins might be deployed slowly out the gate. But I expect a ragging bull being let out of a cage the last 2/3 of the season. 

It's interesting you're worried about Dobbins but convienently pencil in Edwards as if he's full strength. And did you not watch Davis last year? Guy was stuck in mud. 

Dobbins might be deployed slowly out the gate. But I expect a ragging bull being let out of a cage the last 2/3 of the season. 
I had thought I had expressed a ‘chill’ attitude toward his not participating in OTA’s.

But why would the Ravens not have him on the sideline at OTA's?  

As for projections/workload, Ravens leading ball carriers since Lamar was drafted:

2018: Gus Edwards - 137
2019: Mark Ingram - 202
2020: Gus Edwards - 144
2021: Devonta Freeman - 133

Ravens notoriously spread the workload across as many as 3 RB’s.  3rd leading ball carrier from 2018-2020 had 60/58/72 carries.  Don’t know why that would change with an RB room coming off serious injury?🤷‍♂️

I had thought I had expressed a ‘chill’ attitude toward his not participating in OTA’s.

As for projections/workload, Ravens leading ball carriers since Lamar was drafted:

Ravens notoriously spread the workload across as many as 3 RB’s.  3rd leading ball carrier from 2018-2020 had 60/58/72 carries.  Don’t know why that would change with an RB room coming off serious injury?🤷‍♂️
I only see 1 season that really matters. 2019 is only one that could remind of this break in rush attempts. 

2018 a combination of Alex Collins, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Dixon. Lamar 147 attempts in 7 games. What a trifecta

2019. An older Ingram 202, Gus 133, Justice Hill 58, Lamar 176 in 15 games

2020. True RBBC but Dobbins 104 attempts in last 8 games. edwards 144, Ingram 72. Jackson 159 in 15 games

2021. A mess with going to #3 RB. Lamar down to 133 though. 

so I see about 210 attempts as about Min for Dobbins if healthy. This is easily the most talented back behind Jackson over your 4 year period. Ravens also trying to limit Lamar’s rushes. Is receiving core better also. 

I am very high on Dobbins without his ability to receive which Ingram did not. 

I only see 1 season that really matters. 2019 is only one that could remind of this break in rush attempts. 

2018 a combination of Alex Collins, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Dixon. Lamar 147 attempts in 7 games. What a trifecta

2019. An older Ingram 202, Gus 133, Justice Hill 58, Lamar 176 in 15 games

2020. True RBBC but Dobbins 104 attempts in last 8 games. edwards 144, Ingram 72. Jackson 159 in 15 games

2021. A mess with going to #3 RB. Lamar down to 133 though. 

so I see about 210 attempts as about Min for Dobbins if healthy. This is easily the most talented back behind Jackson over your 4 year period. Ravens also trying to limit Lamar’s rushes. Is receiving core better also. 

I am very high on Dobbins without his ability to receive which Ingram did not. 
I don't doubt Dobbins talent.  But what's the compelling event to give Dobbins a full workload coming off a pretty significant injury?  Gus Edwards has been a 130-145 carry guy (2018-2020).  Don't see why that changes assuming he's healthy.  Davis seems like a classic 'September' pick-up while both RB's ramp up.  And with Lamar toting it 10-12 times per game...I see that 210 # as a max, not a min. 2023 is a different story.

That's a sorry list. You're using Edwards and a washed Ingam/Freeman to make your point? 

I'd argue Dobbins showed his talent year one and we wouldn't be discussing RBBC or three-way back fields if he hadn't got hurt. But here we are.

That's a sorry list. You're using Edwards and a washed Ingam/Freeman to make your point? 

I'd argue Dobbins showed his talent year one and we wouldn't be discussing RBBC or three-way back fields if he hadn't got hurt. But here we are.
Yes, I’m using Gus Edwards…he of the career 5.2 YPC and an RB the Ravens signed to a 2 year/$9M contract last June 7 to make my point.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that RB J.K. Dobbins (knee) "is no sure thing" to be ready for Week 1.

Rapoport noted that Dobbins has not had any setbacks in his rehab and that his rehab is going well. However, Dobbins' knee injury was extensive. In addition to tearing his ACL, there was reportedly a meniscus tear and "damage to the lateral side." The nature of the injury puts Dobbins' early season availability into question—not just Week 1, but perhaps even the first few weeks of the season, per Rapoport. Gus Edwards, who is coming off his own ACL tear appears like a better bet to be back for Week 1. At this point, seventh-round rookie Tyler Badie is firmly in flier territory in fantasy drafts; he could have a meaningful early-season role if Dobbins isn't yet at full health. Dobbins' ADP has fallen in recent weeks, reflecting the growing pessimism that he will be ready for Week 1. He profiles as a risky but high upside bet, provided he can return to his pre-injury form.

RELATED: 

Gus Edwards

, Tyler Badie

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jul 18, 2022, 1:24 PM ET

Are my posts written in invisible ink?  :lol:

Dobbins was expected to go PUP at the beginning of TC. It's been discussed on this very page.
For sure, I think most of the interest here was the Dobbins-Rapoport angle. I was expecting PUP all the way. Dobbins is the one who went public a couple days ago saying he might not go on the PUP. I personally didn't believe Dobbins though.

Hopefully this lowers his ADP...currently a steal, but a downright robbery if he drops lower.  Free money.

For sure, I think most of the interest here was the Dobbins-Rapoport angle. I was expecting PUP all the way. Dobbins is the one who went public a couple days ago saying he might not go on the PUP. I personally didn't believe Dobbins though.
I didn't see Dobbins saying he wouldn't be on PUP to start TC. If he did, that was a dumb thing to say because it's been talked about for months and was pretty obvious to anyone who follows Baltimore. I thought the dustup with Rapaport was about starting the regular season there. But I'm old and my memory is failing me in my decline.

I didn't see Dobbins saying he wouldn't be on PUP to start TC. If he did, that was a dumb thing to say because it's been talked about for months and was pretty obvious to anyone who follows Baltimore. I thought the dustup with Rapaport was about starting the regular season there. But I'm old and my memory is failing me in my decline.
Dobbins tweeted this Monday

Okay I’m tired of being quiet… come to me for your source @RapSheet because I might not even go on PUP because that’s how good my rehab is going and I’m damn sure going to be ready for week 1

https://twitter.com/Jkdobbins22/status/1549085277901258753?cxt=HHwWgoC8wcq2uv8qAAAA

Users who are viewing this thread