What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Conner, ARZ (1 Viewer)

I'm not in any new leagues, so I'm not drafting other than rookie or devy drafts, but I would think in a startup he is going too early for my liking.  The guy has an injury past and is probably due and is getting older and isn't much in the receiving game, is TD dependent, averaged 3.7 yards per rush, so if I were drafting in a startup he wouldn't be on my team.  In dynasty he is definitely a sell without question.  If I were a rebuilding team I would trade him for an early 2nd in 2023 and not hesitate.  
I own him in only one FFPC league where I’m Super Win Now, so I have him rostered as cheap startable RB depth in case any of my 3 main RBs go down (Henry, Harris, AJones) but, man oh man, did Conner save my butt last year when Henry went down. 
i drafted Conner in the 12th round of our startup draft last year as one of the last “what the heck, maybe he starts and plays well” RBs on the board, and I’ll gladly hold him until he doesn’t make my Keep 16 cut line over the next couple of off-seasons. 

If it was that easy more backs that have done it in the past would have repeated - most did not. 
Some did though, and almost none of them had playcallers like Kingsbury. The Cards have the 3rd most rushing TDs in the NFL since he took over, despite not having an elite RB. Conner led the NFL in GL carries last year, and Drake did the year before, and that was despite both missing some time in those seasons. It'd be something of an upset if Connor didn't again this season. I'm not arguing Conner as a top-5 overall RB, but his TD production is almost a lock to be among the league leaders. Its pretty bankable in my eyes, and the only real issue if he misses a month or more of the season, which is baked into his price. 

In general, I think people are underrating the Cardinals offense. This was the best offense in the NFL last year until several injuries struck. Now they have a full year of Ertz, the addition of Hollywood, and a potential 2nd year breakout from Rondale Moore, and they'll have a fresh legged Hopkins in game 7, I think this could very well be the best offense in the NFL, and Connor will benefit the most from it, as he'll see no loaded boxes, and ones that are likely to have at least 1 guy spying Murray. Plus, the defense looks mediocre at best (with really bad being a possibility) so they could be point chasing quite a bit, which could/should add more receiving work going Conner's way. 

If by some chance Connor does stay healthy, a top-5 season is on the table in my opinion. I'm certainly not worried about the likes of Darrell Williams or Eno Benjamin. 

Some did though, and almost none of them had playcallers like Kingsbury. The Cards have the 3rd most rushing TDs in the NFL since he took over, despite not having an elite RB. Conner led the NFL in GL carries last year, and Drake did the year before, and that was despite both missing some time in those seasons. It'd be something of an upset if Connor didn't again this season. I'm not arguing Conner as a top-5 overall RB, but his TD production is almost a lock to be among the league leaders. Its pretty bankable in my eyes, and the only real issue if he misses a month or more of the season, which is baked into his price. 

In general, I tTDhink people are underrating the Cardinals offense. This was the best offense in the NFL last year until several injuries struck. Now they have a full year of Ertz, the addition of Hollywood, and a potential 2nd year breakout from Rondale Moore, and they'll have a fresh legged Hopkins in game 7, I think this could very well be the best offense in the NFL, and Connor will benefit the most from it, as he'll see no loaded boxes, and ones that are likely to have at least 1 guy spying Murray. Plus, the defense looks mediocre at best (with really bad being a possibility) so they could be point chasing quite a bit, which could/should add more receiving work going Conner's way. 

If by some chance Connor does stay healthy, a top-5 season is on the table in my opinion. I'm certainly not worried about the likes of Darrell Williams or Eno Benjamin. 
A lot of what ifs.  I don't play redraft, but if a guy is averaging 3.7 yards per carry and is TD dependent and isn't that much in the passing game, how in the hell do you draft him at his current ADP in redraft?

100%. We only get to lock in one keeper but the other options on my squad are thin (either not worth it or too pricey)

that’s partly where you lose me. That “if” should be in flashing neon lights, as it’s doing all the heavy lifting here. 

I agree with the conclusion here, but the premise is a bit off - he’s seems like he’ll be priced as a low-end RB1. 

That’s why @Gally & I are suggesting he would have to hit his ceiling to justify his draft price. If that changed by the time I’m drafting redraft, and I could get him in the 4th, I’d be interested.

I see him more as an early 3rd or (gasp!) late 2nd round pick. There are just too many other players I’d rather have thereZ 

that’s a bargain, and you’d be crazy to not hold at that value. 

I don't disagree with you in terms of where he's being drafted being risky. I've just never been an injury worrier. RBs get injured. I'm more concerned about the guys behind him. But at the end of the day its six in one hand half a dozen in the other. I don't see his value going any higher, and if it does that's when I'd back off. 

Conner is going to have a solid year (as long as he stays healthy which no one can predict for anyone), the back that I think is going to wreck a lot of people's drafts is Swift. 

the back that I think is going to wreck a lot of people's drafts is Swift. 
That’s certainly the narrative many are  going with.

Conner has missed 17 games in 4 years. 4.25/season. He’s 27. 

Swift has missed 8 games in his 1st two seasons. 4/season. he’s 23.

Feels like it’s a bit early in Swift’s career to make that assumption, while it seems right about the correct part of Conner’s career to consider him an injury risk. :shrug:  

In general, I think people are underrating the Cardinals offense. This was the best offense in the NFL last year until several injuries struck. Now they have a full year of Ertz, the addition of Hollywood, and a potential 2nd year breakout from Rondale Moore, and they'll have a fresh legged Hopkins in game 7, I think this could very well be the best offense in the NFL, and Connor will benefit the most from it, as he'll see no loaded boxes, and ones that are likely to have at least 1 guy spying Murray. Plus, the defense looks mediocre at best (with really bad being a possibility) so they could be point chasing quite a bit, which could/should add more receiving work going Conner's way. 

Eh, the rushing TDs by the Cards is skewed some by Kyler's 20. I'm not sure what you're using for GL carries (JT had the most attempts by far from inside the 5), but I think that's more of an argument for reversion than anything- seems fluky, not something that Kingsbury is purposely scheming up as you can't really control how many opportunities you get down there. I would back up the truck to take the field against Conner for GL carries this year.

Your 2nd paragraph I don't see as a positive- if they have way more offensive weapons, that's more people to score as well, and if their defense is bad and they are chasing points, while that may mean more receiving work (it may not), it's more likely to mean fewer rushing TDs.

To me it really boils down to simply not thinking he's a very good RB. He averaged 5.5 rushing TDs per year in his career before last year, so 15 was much more about all of the stars aligning for him. Sure, a top 5 season is on the table if everything goes right again, but that's the case for any RB on a good offense. The odds of it happening are extremely low, and while I wouldn't necessarily be "worried" about Williams or Benjamin, one or both could very easily crater his value in fantasy.

James Conner had ten rushes for 26 yards and a touchdown in the Cardinals' Week 1 loss to the Chiefs, adding five catches for 29 yards.

Conner was subbed out for Eno Benjamin in the fourth quarter, but functioned as a the unquestioned RB1 when the game was (somewhat) competitive. As he did throughout 2021, Conner got all the inside-the-ten action, including a short carry for a touchdown in the first half. Conner drafters should be very much encouraged by his Week 1 role and involvement in an Arizona offense that could be chasing points for much of the 2022 season. Conner will be a borderline RB1 option in Week 2 against the Raiders.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Anyone have thoughts on him? I have been anti-Conner for a couple years but I got a pretty sweet redraft offer for him. What is the general feeling her on his outlook for the season?

Anyone have thoughts on him? I have been anti-Conner for a couple years but I got a pretty sweet redraft offer for him. What is the general feeling her on his outlook for the season?
I took him in the mid third over Etienne because of, as the blurb above says, "his involvement in an Arizona offense that could be chasing points for much of the 2022 season."

I felt his role was much more defined and prominent than the other RBs who were going around when he was.

I took him in the mid third over Etienne because of, as the blurb above says, "his involvement in an Arizona offense that could be chasing points for much of the 2022 season."

I felt his role was much more defined and prominent than the other RBs who were going around when he was.
Makes sense and he is very involved but as @habsfan said, can he keep scoring TDs like this? Take away the TDs and he is pretty inefficient. I am torn on this.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that RB James Conner's ankle injury "is not considered long-term or serious."​

Conner departed in the third quarter against the Raiders and was replaced by Darrel Williams and Eno Benjamin in a split workload. His status for Week 3 against the Rams remains somewhat unclear but he does not appear to be at risk of missing an extended period of time. Conner's practice status will be closely monitored this week.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Sep 19, 2022, 12:36 PM ET

Kliff Kingsbury said James Conner (ankle) is "day to day."​

Conner was spotted getting some reps in at practice earlier in the day. He will likely go down as a limited participant, but all signs point to him playing in Week 3. Conner suffered the ankle injury in the third quarter of Arizona's Week 2 win over the Raiders and was unable to return. Darrel Williams and Eno Benjamin shared the backfield after he went down. Williams would seemingly earn the start if Conner is unable to go and is worth stashing in deeper leagues.
SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter
Sep 21, 2022, 1:14 PM ET

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said RB James Conner (ankle) is a game-time decision for Week 3 against the Rams.​

Conner practiced again on Friday; it's likely a limited practice given the game-time decision tag. Conner would have RB2 appeal if he weren't on a snap count. We would speculate him closer to the doubtful side of questionable based on how some of his game-time decisions went last season. If Conner were not able to play in Week 3, Eno Benjamin and Darrel Williams split snaps roughly evenly while Conner was down in Week 2.
SOURCE: Paul Calvisi on Twitter
Sep 23, 2022, 1:05 PM ET

Hmmm... have him in my flex currently. Could've moved Amari in there but reports as of yesterday were looking good. Might hold the course and pivot to Dortch off waivers if things go south on Sunday AM (no Eno no Wiliams avail and I wouldn't really feel confident starting them anyway).

Hmmm... have him in my flex currently. Could've moved Amari in there but reports as of yesterday were looking good. Might hold the course and pivot to Dortch off waivers if things go south on Sunday AM (no Eno no Wiliams avail and I wouldn't really feel confident starting them anyway).
I would have just as much confidence in Williams as Dortch.

I would have just as much confidence in Williams as Dortch.
Opponent's got him unfortunately.

I only have options from the early games: Rhamondre and Garrett Wilson being the most viable.

Not sure what to do here (in Guillotine league). Wait for the GTD in Conner or play Hines in the early game. :(

Got a real bad feeling about Conner this weekend. GTDs always feel like traps. If he does play, he risks re-injury/further injury and/or pitch count saps his value. Not a great match up anyway against LAR, most likely are going to be playing from behind. Could be a lost game early on so even if he does start if it gets out of hand they'll most likely put him on ice.

Got a real bad feeling about Conner this weekend. GTDs always feel like traps. If he does play, he risks re-injury/further injury and/or pitch count saps his value. Not a great match up anyway against LAR, most likely are going to be playing from behind. Could be a lost game early on so even if he does start if it gets out of hand they'll most likely put him on ice.
Sadly I think I'm going to have to bench him due to no good back ups with similar time slots. I could grab dorch but I'd rather not use my bench on players with limited value. I also agree with what you said about the matchup.

Sadly I think I'm going to have to bench him due to no good back ups with similar time slots. I could grab dorch but I'd rather not use my bench on players with limited value. I also agree with what you said about the matchup.
Doing the same. Had him in flex but moving him out for G Wilson.

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said he'd like to get James Conner more involved on offense.​

Conner scored 18 touchdowns last season and was re-signed over Chase Edmonds, but he's yet to top 60 total yards in a game through three weeks and has scored just once. The Cardinals also haven't been playing with many leads, and that obviously plays a factor. "He's one of our best players, got to give your best players the ball, and I think we'll do that," Kingsbury said Wednesday. Week 4 against the lowly Panthers presents a get-right opportunity for Conner.
SOURCE: Kevin Parrish on Twitter
Sep 28, 2022, 2:44 PM ET

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said he'd like to get James Conner more involved on offense.​

Conner scored 18 touchdowns last season and was re-signed over Chase Edmonds, but he's yet to top 60 total yards in a game through three weeks and has scored just once. The Cardinals also haven't been playing with many leads, and that obviously plays a factor. "He's one of our best players, got to give your best players the ball, and I think we'll do that," Kingsbury said Wednesday. Week 4 against the lowly Panthers presents a get-right opportunity for Conner.
SOURCE: Kevin Parrish on Twitter
Sep 28, 2022, 2:44 PM ET
Gee Kliff. Good idea…

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury believes James Conner is "OK" after injuring his ribs in Sunday's loss to the Eagles.​

"We're checking everything out," Kingsbury said. "It's something in the rib area and they're just being very cautious with him right now." Conner, who dealt with rib issues last year, was reportedly already playing with extra chest protection before he went down on Sunday. "Just being very cautious" suggests Conner could still miss Week 6 despite the "OK" proclamation, but RB2 desperate fantasy managers can hold out hope he will still get cleared for a soft matchup with the Seahawks. With Darrel Williams (knee) also ailing, Eno Benjamin is again the next man up.
SOURCE: Josh Weinfuss on Twitter
Oct 10, 2022, 12:15 AM ET

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said James Conner (ribs) is "day to day."​

Kingsbury noted Conner knows the system well, so he can suit up on Sunday after missing some practice time. He did not have an update on Darrell Williams, who is also banged up. If both can't go, Eno Benjamin will inherit the starting role. While the backfield is currently in flux, Benjamin should be rostered in all leagues. If he does draw the start, he will slot in as a low-end RB2.
SOURCE: Bo Brack on Twitter
Oct 12, 2022, 3:43 PM ET

PFN's Aaron Wilson reports that James Conner (ribs) is expected to miss Week 6 and "perhaps additional time."​

Eno Benjamin is expected to take most of Conner's role, while Wilson says that Keontay Ingram is "expected" to be active this week. Arizona signed Corey Clement to the practice squad with Conner and Darrel Williams ailing. This has been a snakebit season for Conner's fantasy managers, as he's been dinged up often and would be sitting out a game against Seattle's flailing defense.
SOURCE: Pro Football Network
Oct 13, 2022, 2:57 PM ET

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said James Conner (ribs, questionable) will be a game-time decision for Week 7 against the Saints.​

The good news is we'll know Conner's status before any other games kick off this week, giving fantasy players ample time to find a replacement if needed. Eno Benjamin played 87% of the snaps and handled 18 touches in Conner's absence last week and would be a fine RB2 if Conner needs to sit again.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Tyler Drake on Twitter
Oct 19, 2022, 3:25 PM ET

What do we think Conner's outlook is going forward? Do we think Eno has supplanted him completely, or do we think he will still be involved somehow? Also is he back this week?

What do we think Conner's outlook is going forward? Do we think Eno has supplanted him completely, or do we think he will still be involved somehow? Also is he back this week?
No, Eno didn't supplant Conner completely. When Conner is healthy he's going to be the lead back. I could see a 60/40 split (with Conner taking majority) to preserve both. At the very least, I'd imagine Conner is the goal line/red zone back.

Is he back this week? That's to be seen, but I feel like there were rumblings last week that he was close to playing so if I had to guess I think we see him back in some capacity this week.

Eno takes the job soon, conner is another oft-injured player that never overcomes the name 'potato chip'.
get Eno now while he's still not well known.Cards offense seems like it's about to take flight here. no pun intended.

Eno looks like he's running in quicksand.
Lol did you not watch the game last Thursday
Actually didn't see him last week. Saw a little from the week before and was not impressed. I know he had a better game this week but didn't think he suddenly got faster. Does everyone really think he'll keep the bulk of the carries when Connor is back? Seems unlikely

Eno looks like he's running in quicksand.
Lol did you not watch the game last Thursday
Actually didn't see him last week. Saw a little from the week before and was not impressed. I know he had a better game this week but didn't think he suddenly got faster. Does everyone really think he'll keep the bulk of the carries when Connor is back? Seems unlikely
I don't know how the split will work out but have you watched Conner? If Eno's running in quicksand then Conner's running in cement.

A few weeks ago I listened to a Phoenix based podcast that opined Benjamin would have the job for good. I'm inclined to believe Eno will be the lead.

That said, IIRC Edmonds played a ton of snaps a year ago and got most of the third down/between the 20s work. Cardinals aren't really throwing to backs much this year but I think there's a good chance Conners remains the preferred goal line back.

James Conner (ribs) returned to practice Wednesday.​

Conner has missed the Cardinals' previous two games with the rib injury. Darrel Williams, who was back at practice on Wednesday, has also been sidelined for a pair of games. In their absences, Eno Benjamin has stepped into a three-down role. Benjamin has 27 carries and seven catches in his pair of starts. With both backs on track to play in Week 8, fantasy managers can send Benjamin back to the waiver wire.
SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter
Oct 26, 2022, 2:32 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread