What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James White, NE (1 Viewer)

Ive been really disappointed in his targets.  With this being Newtown's first year in the offense I was expecting his targets to be much higher and provide good redraft value.

:sadbanana:
Same, going in I was happy with him a late round good floor RB. I can't carry the dead weight any longer ... just sent him packing

also, hope you're well JAA

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
James White rushed five times for 18 yards and two touchdowns in the Patriots' Week 12 win over the Cardinals, "adding" one reception for -1 yards. 

White turned a pair of pitches into scores; one from seven yards out, the other from one. He was out-touched 14-6 by Damien Harris, though the Pats' current 1-2 ceded zero handles to an active Sony Michel. White entered this afternoon with at least four catches in two of his past three games. 4-5 will be a safe weekly receptions projection for White down the stretch. White will have FLEX viability for Week 13 against the Chargers.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports James White (foot, questionable) is expected to play in Week 15 against the Dolphins.

White has been practicing on a limited basis since Wednesday so this news doesn't come as much of a surprise. Pelissero added that White could play a larger role in the New England offense with Damien Harris out this week. Still, White is a pass-catching back who doesn't see many targets on a weekly basis. He has one game over four receptions since Week 6. He's nothing more than a low-floor RB4 this week.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Dec 20, 2020, 8:39 AM ET

James White (foot) is active for Week 15 against the Dolphins.

With Damien Harris (foot), White could be needed for more work on the ground. Sony Michel will obviously take the lead between the tackles, with J.J. Taylor mixing in. White remains an unappealing FLEX for the fantasy semifinals despite Harris' absence. 

Dec 20, 2020, 11:39 AM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Bucs are among the teams inquiring about free agent RB James White. 

In what would be the most predictable scenario of free agency, White could reunite with Tom Brady in Tampa. White served as a reliable check down option for Brady in New England, where White saw 219 targets over Brady's final two seasons as a Patriot. The Bucs signing White would complicate things for Ronald Jones as an every-down back. White would certainly strip Ke'Shawn Vaughn of any fantasy value in 2021. 

RELATED: 

Ronald Jones

, Ke'Shawn Vaughn

, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

, New England Patriots

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Mar 16, 2021, 11:03 AM ET

Patriots re-signed RB James White to a one-year, $2.5 million contract. 

White will return to the Patriots after seeing his usage decline in 2020. New England's backfield is shaping up to be a fantasy nightmare, as per usual. White won't have much fantasy relevance unless the team struggles with backfield injuries or shifts to a more pass-heavy approach in 2021. Don't count on the latter. 

Mar 24, 2021, 12:25 PM ET

Faust said:
Patriots re-signed RB James White to a one-year, $2.5 million contract. 

White will return to the Patriots after seeing his usage decline in 2020. New England's backfield is shaping up to be a fantasy nightmare, as per usual. White won't have much fantasy relevance unless the team struggles with backfield injuries or shifts to a more pass-heavy approach in 2021. Don't count on the latter. 

Might as well have walked over to the toilet and flushed $2.5 million.

Maybe, maybe not.  Perhaps I'm just tired of him.
You mean you have him on your team and don’t like him on the Pats. I can see this sentiment, because RBs under Belichick are tough to predict. But for real football I think White is very good for the Pats. 

You mean you have him on your team and don’t like him on the Pats. I can see this sentiment, because RBs under Belichick are tough to predict. But for real football I think White is very good for the Pats. 
I don't have White in any league.  He's just taking up the space another player could have.  Is he done yet?

I don't have White in any league.  He's just taking up the space another player could have.  Is he done yet?
Who would you have replace him? Since his contract is only one year he wouldn’t be keeping Pats from drafting a guy. So he really only keeps JJ Taylor from playing time this season. Not sure who else he is keeping from playing time. Maybe Duke Johnson could have been signed. James White knows the system and is like by Patriots and fans. He has not messed up and in fact made big plays. The td run to beat Atlanta in the Super Bowl in OT is my favorite memory of his. You would think you of all people would like him for that play... he showed great contact balance. 😀

Some of your posts are weird and unnecessary.
I thought White took a big step backwards last year.  Am I wrong?   121 yards and 3.5 average.  While he did garner 49 receptions (his calling card), 373 yards wasn't anything special and he's 29 years old now.  You can call that weird and unnecessary if want, but the James White I saw on the field showed a downward trend and I think it will continue.

I thought White took a big step backwards last year.  Am I wrong?   121 yards and 3.5 average.  While he did garner 49 receptions (his calling card), 373 yards wasn't anything special and he's 29 years old now.  You can call that weird and unnecessary if want, but the James White I saw on the field showed a downward trend and I think it will continue.
IMO, you can't hang the lack of production and Cam Newton's lack of experience in the system on White. White wasn't great, but there was a definite disconnect with he and Newton. Maybe they can fix that, maybe they can't. I would vote "unlikely White does much better" if there were different options to vote on.

This has nothing to do with White, just in general.  Carry on.

James White caught 6-of-7 targets for 42 yards in the Patriots' Week 1 loss to the Dolphins, adding four carries for 12 additional yards. 

White's six grabs tied Jakobi Meyers for the team lead, while his seven targets tied Nelson Agholor for second. Mac Jones confirmed summer observations that he seemed primed to lock onto White as a safety valve like Tom Brady before him. White's ceiling was never the highest to begin with, and isn't going to rebound to its Brady levels, but he could offer a more stable PPR floor than 2020 with the Pats primed to pass more post-Cam Newton. He gets the Jets in Week 2.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports James White suffered a hip subluxation in Week 3 and is "out indefinitely."

Rapoport added that a stint on injured reserve would make sense for White. With White out, the Patriots were forced to use Brandon Bolden as their pass-catching back versus the Saints. Bolden played on 33 snaps and saw four targets. J.J. Taylor, who was made active over Rhamondre Stevenson, was targeted twice on 10 snaps. Stevenson should be expected to be active going forward but the third-down role is entirely up for grabs. Taylor and Stevenson can be stashed in deep leagues but the ambiguity of this situation makes all three players unappealing for now. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 27, 2021, 3:48 PM ET

A friend is a pa and he thinks a minimum of four weeks if it is a simple subluxation that went back in with no damage. An mri will be performed looking to see if there is any damage. This is my understanding. 

Done for the year.  Dangit always liked him.  
NBC Sports Edge:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports James White (hip subluxation) is expected to miss the remainder of the 2021 season.

White's initial prognosis had him sidelined "indefinitely" but Schefter is now reporting that further medical examinations make it likely that he is done for the year. Brandon Bolden took on White's role after he left in Week 3, playing 33 snaps and seeing four targets. J.J. Taylor was targeted twice while playing 10 snaps. Rhamondre Stevenson has been inactive since losing a fumble in Week 1 but should make his return versus the Bucs this week. The role of pass-catcher in this backfield is entirely up for grabs but the safest bet to earn it is Stevenson, who the team spent a fourth-round pick on this offseason. He's a worthwhile stash for fantasy teams in need of help at running back.

RELATED: 

Rhamondre Stevenson

, J.J. Taylor

Sep 29, 2021, 4:41 PM ET

Patriots re-signed RB James White to a two-year, $5 million contract. 

The deal reportedly has only $500,000 in guarantees per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero. White was lost for the season late in September to a hip subluxation, but should resume his role as third-down back in front of Brandon Bolden if he didn't leave any of his speed or skill on the operating table. It remains to be seen how that translates in fantasy with Damien Harris and Rhamondre Stevenson both rising last season, but White should still be a useful fantasy player.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Mar 15, 2022, 1:09 PM ET

I never understand why there isn't more interest in this guy. Whether you want a security outlet for a rookie QB that needs to build confidence(Lawrence, Wilson, Fields) or a pro-bowler with a terrible OL(Burrow) or a veteran with few receivers to get the ball out before he takes unneeded punishment(Ryan). White costs next to nothing. Seemed like a no-brainer in TB at this price.... just like last year. Weird.

If he is healthy and hasn’t lost a step this is a real nice addition to Harris and Stevenson…White plays a game that will be a big benefit to Mac…if the Pats don’t add anything at WR maybe they can run the wishbone.

If he is healthy and hasn’t lost a step this is a real nice addition to Harris and Stevenson…White plays a game that will be a big benefit to Mac…if the Pats don’t add anything at WR maybe they can run the wishbone.
Something tells me Harris & Stevenson owners are less than thrilled about it.

lol @ the wishbone. 

In all honesty they had to expect either this or signing someone like him…it is pretty much how BB likes his backfield…was hoping JJ Taylor would develop into a younger version of White but that did not happen.
You’re presuming FF owners logic driven. kind of a stretch. 

;)  

The way the market is for WR these days, if I were a GM, I'd load up on receiving backs for 15-20% of the cost vs. WR and have them all take on roles as receivers out of the backfield, lined up out wide, out of the slot, in motion, etc. Certainly, more cash effective than shelling out $10M-$20M on average receivers (or TE) that won't be all that productive. Cost per yard gained, RB are WAY cheaper than WR (except maybe guys like Kupp or Adams).

Patriots RB James White (hip) "likely won't be participating" in OTAs.

White is still recovering from the hip injury that sent him to IR in Week 3 and later required surgery. The Patriots' passing down back still has "awhile to go" to get cleared and isn't a lock to be ready for training camp. White's absence will open up reps for rookie Pierre Strong and J.J. Taylor this offseason.

SOURCE: ESPN

May 1, 2022, 10:17 AM ET

Not that I am happy about White's health, but it does make taking two RBs when you have far bigger holes more understandable. 

Isn't it time to move on from White?

Pre-draft I would say no because they had so many holes to fill other than RB and since JJ Taylor does not look like the answer it would be nice to squeeze one more year out of him...now that they drafted two more RBs that does not apply...the x-factor (besides his health) is his leadership...the Pats are losing more and more of the old guard so having players like White, Slater and McCourty around until some new leaders emerge might be a necessary bridge. 

Pre-draft I would say no because they had so many holes to fill other than RB and since JJ Taylor does not look like the answer it would be nice to squeeze one more year out of him...now that they drafted two more RBs that does not apply...the x-factor (besides his health) is his leadership...the Pats are losing more and more of the old guard so having players like White, Slater and McCourty around until some new leaders emerge might be a necessary bridge. 
Leadership for RBs is overrated.  They need to move on from White now that they've drafted two RBs.  

Leadership for RBs is overrated.  They need to move on from White now that they've drafted two RBs.  

Knowing how that locker-room has operated the past 20 years it would be tough for me to disagree more with what you just posted...it also has nothing to do with the position...he is not a leader because he is a RB.

Knowing how that locker-room has operated the past 20 years it would be tough for me to disagree more with what you just posted...it also has nothing to do with the position...he is not a leader because he is a RB.
I know, I was being a little sarcastic.   I just don't see the need for him any longer.

I know, I was being a little sarcastic.   I just don't see the need for him any longer.

If he is not the James White of old, I agree...with the injury lingering this long, being 30 and two RBs just drafted you gotta believe that could be a legit possibility.

While he wrote "leadership" I think he's folding in familiarity with the offense and reliability. 

While Harris/Stephenson/Pierre Strong might be the depth chart to actually start I don't think any of those guys have a 1:1 skill set with a healthy James White. In the 4th quarter and the Patriots are driving for the go ahead score I wouldn't be at all surprised to see White on the field for that last drive. He knows the offense, he has the trust of BB, and he had a 86% catch percentage last year. With a second year quarterback I can't think of many security blankets that are better than White if you have to get rid of the ball in the face of a pass rush.

I'll be more surprised if Kevin Harris makes the team than I am if James White makes the team. And I'm not even saying it's bad team-building to take a flyer on a RB in the 6th. White is coming off an injury and Harris has played in 27 games the past three seasons combined. Perhaps most importantly the RB position sustains so many routine injuries the more surprising question to me is why don't more teams go into training camp with 6+ RB's fighting for 4 jobs. I'm sure BAL whishes they were deeper at RB last year before the season even started.

I'm just not sure what the upside of moving on from James White in May actually is.

Patriots RB James White (hip) is a candidate to start the regular season on the reserve/PUP list.

White never advanced beyond on-field drills at minicamp. The Patriots have depth to play it slow with White, making it possible the 30-year-old won't be cleared for training camp next month. Short-term IR could also be an option for White, costing him four games instead of the six he would miss on PUP. 

RELATED: 

Pierre Strong

, Kevin Harris

, J.J. Taylor

SOURCE: CBS Sports Boston

Jun 18, 2022, 10:49 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread