What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joe Mixon, HOU (3 Viewers)

I don't disagree with the leveon comps but I've always said when talking to people abt him that I see more Matt forte in him. Decent but not great runner and really good receiver. I just don't think he's the runner that leveon is (don't think anyone will ever be). 
Which is really not much of a negative as there are not many on Leveon's level. I agree...he will have to become more decisive on runs that are not there and make the right reads in order to become a better runner. Heck of a pass catcher though.

I don't disagree with the leveon comps but I've always said when talking to people abt him that I see more Matt forte in him. Decent but not great runner and really good receiver. I just don't think he's the runner that leveon is (don't think anyone will ever be). 
Significantly more elusiveness/wiggle than Forte IMHO. 

Mixon rushed eight times for 31 yards in the Bengals' third preseason game.

Jeremy Hill once again got the "start," while Giovani Bernard was the second back in the game, but Mixon got snaps on the Bengals' opening drive. He was the offense's most impressive back, showing balance and explosion. He did commit a boneheaded fumble, failing to look the ball in on what may have been a miscommunication with Andy Dalton. Mixon looked to possibly be expecting a play fake. The No. 48 overall pick of the draft has 20 carries for 78 yards through three preseason games, adding three catches for 32 additional yards. Not scintillating numbers, but Mixon has had the looks of an imposing runner. Despite Hill's starts, Mixon is the Bengals' touch favorite. He boasts extreme upside, but could start slow if the Bengals insist on keeping Hill involved.

They called it boneheaded...
True enough but they also tried to pawn it off on Dalton: "what may have been a miscommunication with Andy Dalton. Mixon looked to possibly be expecting a play fake." The link was posted in the preseason observations - Mixon just totally missed it with his own hands right in his breadbasket. 100% him.

And I say this as someone who likes Mixon.

True enough but they also tried to pawn it off on Dalton: "what may have been a miscommunication with Andy Dalton. Mixon looked to possibly be expecting a play fake." The link was posted in the preseason observations - Mixon just totally missed it with his own hands right in his breadbasket. 100% him.

And I say this as someone who likes Mixon.
Who cares. I've never seen a rb out of the league because they couldn't take handoffs successfully.

I have a sense Mixon's current value is dropping and now what? Scoop at a lesser ADP or hold even further for another round? Seems he has become the least unsure of the crop of talented rookie RB's? I picked him up and he may have to start while Zeke serves his time. Not exactly thrilled right now. I keep reading glowing references to his talent and then the full blown RBBC three-headed monster appears.

Just watched a ton of video of this guy and my word, he's just oozing with talent. Also watched some of Hunt.

I don't think there's a comparison between these two. 

Really want Mixon. Think this guy is going to carry people to championships 2nd half of the season.

There's def some similarities between Bell & Mixon. He's shown some flashes, but he doesn't really look like the guy yet.

Mixon can pound it like Hill and be the CoP if Gio isn't the same guy coming off ACL. There's not a clear path for him to be a 3-down back but I could see him earning more of a share as the season goes on.

Redraft PPR where is Mixon going these days??? 

Thinking of trying for him 3.01... 

I wouldn't spend that. I got him at 4.05 and its the pick I regret the most right now. Love the talent and jumped on him during hole in the draft but this feels more and more like a full on RBBC while they gradually ease this guy in all year. Painful for owners. 

You should be able to get him there. Most of the ppr drafts I've done over the past month had him go in the 4th/5th. That was before the Hill injury, but I'm not clear how hurt Hill is. I think the ADP trend for Mixon has been down the past month. Competition for carries and one of the worst o-lines in the NFL primary reasons. Still considering him #1 in a rookie dynasty draft, but I'm not expecting much this year. That line looks as bad as advertised.

I wouldn't spend that. I got him at 4.05 and its the pick I regret the most right now. Love the talent and jumped on him during hole in the draft but this feels more and more like a full on RBBC while they gradually ease this guy in all year. Painful for owners. 
Wait I'm sorry... I mean 3.12 or 4.01.... 

I am expecting to go WR/WR or WR/RB depending on who is there for 1/2... then Round 3 and 4 I am hoping TE and either RB or WR round 4... targeting Abdullah/Mixon for my Round 4 pick... Liking Mixon there if he's available. Would be my RB3 (Keeping Ajayi round 7 and Crowell Round 9, Diggs round 6 for WR...)

Ajayi/Crowell/Mixon could be a great lineup to have... 

Wait I'm sorry... I mean 3.12 or 4.01.... 

I am expecting to go WR/WR or WR/RB depending on who is there for 1/2... then Round 3 and 4 I am hoping TE and either RB or WR round 4... targeting Abdullah/Mixon for my Round 4 pick... Liking Mixon there if he's available. Would be my RB3 (Keeping Ajayi round 7 and Crowell Round 9, Diggs round 6 for WR...)

Ajayi/Crowell/Mixon could be a great lineup to have... 

Yeah if you have to start two RB I can see the appeal of that set of RB. Although I'd rather have Ajayi/Crowell/Abdullah just based on opportunity 

Yeah if you have to start two RB I can see the appeal of that set of RB. Although I'd rather have Ajayi/Crowell/Abdullah just based on opportunity 
Yeah I'm thinking long term being able to keep Mixon. I would agree on your assessment of Abdullah. Figuring one of those should be there when I pick... crossing my fingers

I got him at #51 which is a shock (ADP is 40.) Bet that fumbled exchange - which for all we know might have been on Andy, in slow mo it looks like he didn't stick it in there - plus Gio looking decent his first game back contributed to people letting him slide. In that Tier 3/4 RB thread he's consistently behind Fournette, CMC, Cook, Crowell, Hyde, Hunt, et al.

Hes my RB3/Flex option & after Week 3 I'll have Martin. Hope to stay patient with him & see him blossom in the second half. Kid has a world of potential.

There's little doubt he's one of the most talented RBs in the league right now. Agree with others the opportunity might not be there for huge Year 1. Any time the Bengals are giving to Hill outside of goalline work only holds back the offense.

Redraft there's safer options out there at his ADP. Keeper leagues I'd rather be too early than too late with him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There's little doubt he's one of the most talented RBs in the league right now. Agree with others the opportunity might not be there for huge Year 1. Any time the Bengals are giving to Hill outside of goalline work only holds back the offense.

Redraft there's safer options out there at his ADP. Keeper leagues I'd rather be too early than too late with him. 
If I'm Marvin Lewis and I think Mixon is the guy that can lead me to the promised land I'd lean on him. Would think Cinci fans would call for his head.

S. Payton can afford to get cute with his RBs. Don't think Marvin has that luxury.

• Smile
Reactions: One
If I'm Marvin Lewis and I think Mixon is the guy that can lead me to the promised land I'd lean on him. Would think Cinci fans would call for his head.

S. Payton can afford to get cute with his RBs. Don't think Marvin has that luxury.
Marvin Lewis is the new Jeff Fisher...

I don't think Marvin Lewis thinks once, let alone twice, about what the fans want him to do.

They've all been on the hot seat at some the last two years except the hoodie. Cowher was a choker until he got a qb then he was a genius.
Has Marvin ever been on the hot seat? 0-7 playoff record.

Perennial ineptitude is one thing. 49ers, Jets, Jags, Rams - no reason for hope short term. But to have enough talent to make the playoffs & win division titles, only to go one and done every year (4 times at home), that's gotta hurt.

Has Marvin ever been on the hot seat? 0-7 playoff record.

Perennial ineptitude is one thing. 49ers, Jets, Jags, Rams - no reason for hope short term. But to have enough talent to make the playoffs & win division titles, only to go one and done every year (4 times at home), that's gotta hurt.
Andy Dalton. Worst choker ever. There's stats out there to back it up.

Last season I dealt the #1 overall pick in our dynasty rookie draft for a bounty of picks in 2016 and 2017. Basically, I traded Zeke for those picks. 

I ended up with the #2 pick and the #6 pick this year, and drafted McCaffery (2) and Mixon (6). 

It'll be interesting who has the better year: Zeke (and his suspension) or McCaffery and  Mixon. 

As long as this guy isn't throwing over hand Big Macs at chicks on his bye week,  he is going to light it up.  The talent delta btw him and the depth chart will force lewis' hand.  And early.  Wish I had him.  

Took him in the fifth and regret nothing at this point. Hill will keep being Hill and Gio is most likely just a 3rd down guy. I think the cream will rise to the top by the 4/5th game and he'll be unleashed. He's just too talented.  

NOTE: Later comment revised to "Wait I'm sorry... I mean 3.12 or 4.01.... "

In two recent drafts he went 5.07 (#55 in a 12 team) and 5.12 (#60 also a 12 team). In the one where he went 5.07 I took Hill at 12.06 at #138. Hill is the starter and will be the starter unless he falters, gets injured or the Bengals are out of the race late in the season and Lewis decides to give Mixon and audition for 2018. Lewis isn't one to give the reigns to a rookie unless he doesn't have better options and with Hill and Bernard he has options. 

1. Lewis doesn't think/know that Mixon can lead him to the promised land. He's a coach that leans on and trusts vets and until those vets prove a liability he's going to stick with them. Hill didn't have a good 2016 but has looked decent in preseason and Lewis still thinks he has promise. This is Hill's job to lose plain and simple.

2. Lewis doesn't give one iota about what Bengals fans think. I've been a season tix holder for 20+ years and know Lewis and his MO quite well. Like him or not he is not going to bow to fan pressure or outside perception.

His highlight reel from OU are so entertaining to watch.  Extreme lateral quickness, wicked jump cuts, powerful stiff arm, and another gear burst even at top speed. 

The screen pass he had in the preseason game against the Bucs tells me all that will translate even in the NFL.  Kid is going to be special and I'm so excited to watch him this year.  

As as others have said, he might start semi-slow but will be THE rookie back to own by mid season. 

Yeah I like Fournette better still but Mixon is def growing on me. Fournette comes with more injury baggage but Mixon is one bad off the field decision away from getting Ray Riced......most people aren't valuing that part correctly.......watched his preseason plays and he looks good though. 

In my 12 team Super-flex, PPR, WR/TE combined Mixon went 5.11 as the #20 RB off the board.  C.Hyde (5.10, to me), L.Miller (5.9), K.Hunt (5.5) & McCaffrey (5.4) went ahead of Mixon and B.Powell (6.01), J.White (6.04), M.Ingram (6.05) & C.J. Anderson (6.06), Abdullah (6.11) and E.Lacy (6.12) all went after Mixon.

Personally I liked Ingram, Abdullah and maybe Lacy all ahead of Mixon at 5.11, but that's just me.

Yeah I like Fournette better still but Mixon is def growing on me. Fournette comes with more injury baggage but Mixon is one bad off the field decision away from getting Ray Riced......most people aren't valuing that part correctly.......watched his preseason plays and he looks good though. 
His incident was 3 (or 4?) years ago.

What he did was awful, but the kid has been a mouse and by all accounts a model of good behavior since.  I'd say your statement here exaggerates the risk somewhat.

matuski said:
His incident was 3 (or 4?) years ago.

What he did was awful, but the kid has been a mouse and by all accounts a model of good behavior since.  I'd say your statement here exaggerates the risk somewhat.
No, the risk remains, and time won't cure this one.  Video is forever and if he has another violent incident of any kind it's over for him. 

Users who are viewing this thread