What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jonathan Taylor, IND (2 Viewers)

I’ll never forget when listening to Adam Levitan’s podcast before the draft. He was taking CMC #1 even though a lot of people touted injury history as the main reason he should be behind Taylor. He said you can’t predict injuries. What happened to both last year had no bearing on this year. Doesn’t matter if Taylor had never missed a practice or game. Anything can happen so don’t factor health history in the decision. He was absolutely right.

Awesome. This means he will not have his salary escalate for next year so I will be able to keep him.

(sarcasm.....I am currently battling for a title and this will hurt my chances tremendously. Ugh)

NOTE: There is a running joke in our league because we have one owner that roots for his players to not perform so they won't escalate at the detriment of his team in the current year.....even when he is in contention.

Colts placed Jonathan Taylor (ankle) on injured reserve.​

The move to IR officially ends a deeply disappointing 2022 campaign for Taylor, a top-two fantasy pick in every redraft league last summer. Zack Moss and Deon Jackson will share the Colts backfield in Taylor's place. Behind a disaster of an offensive line, Taylor's yards per carry fell from 5.5 in 2021 to 4.5 this season. He managed a mere four touchdowns in 11 games after scoring 29 combined touchdowns on the ground in his first two NFL seasons. Nearly every one of Taylor's peripheral stats fell in 2022, including his yards per rush after contact and his breakaway rate. Taylor ends his third NFL season with 861 rushing yards, 13th among running backs. His 143 receiving yards ranks 43rd among backs. Taylor, 24 in January, should remain a first-round pick in 2023 fantasy drafts.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Dec 20, 2022, 10:48 AM ET

As a fan… I’d be ok with the rest of the team sitting out the remainder of this season too.

Hope that JT can bounce back next year.

once a RB needs an surgery like this, they're usually finished. I wouldn't touch JT with 10ft pole. this from a guy who drafted him #1 2022 season. never ever ever again.
give me nick chubb all day and twice on sundays.

Colts RB Jonathan Taylor said he'd be willing to play out the final year of his contract without an extension.​

This season marks the final year of Taylor's rookie contract, with the fourth-year back set to earn a base salary of $4.304 million. Taylor nursed an ankle injury throughout the majority of last season and underwent ankle surgery in late January. After leading the league in rushing in 2021 (332-1811-18), Taylor managed just 861 yards and four touchdowns in 11 games while playing on an injured ankle and running behind one of the worst offensive lines in the league. He's expected to be ready for training camp and should have top-five fantasy upside in Shane Steichen's offense.
SOURCE: James Boyd on Twitter
Apr 19, 2023 at 6:04 PM ET

Kind of concerned the RB targets evaporate and GL TD's are stolen. Hoping for more efficiency and Chubb production I guess.

I'm with you in contrast to the above-noted article.

You have the vulture aspect and the aspect of very little threat in the passing game.

For me in redraft he's in a tier with about 5-6 other RBs sitting in the 4th tier if we're going to be that

CMC/Eke- hyper efficient pass catchers in good offenses with limited carries

Saquon/Bijan- Studly bellcows with passing work

Jacobs/Henry-no brainer RB1s for your team.

Pollard/Najee/Taylor/Rhamondre/Chubb/Hall (assuming a decent recovery, if not drop a tier). All have a wart or two.
Cook, Mixon, Sanders, Gibbs and Akers each could bump into that tier, depending on how things are working out.

Kind of concerned the RB targets evaporate and GL TD's are stolen. Hoping for more efficiency and Chubb production I guess.
Agree with this. Taylor is probably an avoid for me this year. I have him around RB10. I'd have the likes of Stevenson and Mixon ahead of him as it stands right now.

Vehemently disagree here. This guy is lucky that he isn't suspended and he's been on a downward trajectory regardless. Taylor, while coming off of surgery, has no such character doubts and was last seen leading the league in yards just over a calendar year ago.

For me in redraft he's in a tier with about 5-6 other RBs sitting in the 4th tier if we're going to be that

Pollard/Najee/Taylor/Rhamondre/Chubb/Hall (assuming a decent recovery, if not drop a tier). All have a wart or two.
Cook, Mixon, Sanders, Gibbs and Akers each could bump into that tier, depending on how things are working out.
No Walker or Etienne, even in that lowest tier?

Vehemently disagree here. This guy is lucky that he isn't suspended and he's been on a downward trajectory regardless. Taylor, while coming off of surgery, has no such character doubts and was last seen leading the league in yards just over a calendar year ago.
Bengals might be the best offense in the NFL, and Mixon has no competition for work. Like Taylor, he's a year removed from a 16+ TD season.

I'm not really seeing a downward trajectory. He's essentially been the same guy his entire career, he just saw less work last year, which shouldn't be the case again, as much as I like Chase Brown.

It likely won't matter anyway, as Taylor will be long gone by the time I'd be ready to take him. Taylor just isn't a guy that I'm gonna have any shares of next season. Don't like the offense, don't love the player, very worried about Richardson. Truth be told, Richardson is probably the only player on the Colts that I'm likely have any interest in at his ADP.

ETA: Taylor and Dalvin Cook are 2 RBs I'd avoiding anywhere near their ADP.

You have the vulture aspect and the aspect of very little threat in the passing game.
There are a wide range of possible outcomes. It seems very likely that the presense of Richardson should improve Taylor's efficiency, and it's not like receptions have been a huge boon his FF value so not a ton to lose there. Richardson should obviously vulture some TDs, but the RBs in Philly still accounted for 17 of them last year so if he's healthy and Richardson is decent he could have a pretty big year. It could also be a dumpster fire if Richardson sucks out loud.

There are a wide range of possible outcomes. It seems very likely that the presense of Richardson should improve Taylor's efficiency, and it's not like receptions have been a huge boon his FF value so not a ton to lose there. Richardson should obviously vulture some TDs, but the RBs in Philly still accounted for 17 of them last year so if he's healthy and Richardson is decent he could have a pretty big year. It could also be a dumpster fire if Richardson sucks out loud.

Let's not kid ourselves, Richardson may turn into something but he's going to suck pretty badly this year. From a fantasy perspective he might be productive because of his legs but I would be amazed if he got to 3000 yards

Defenses are going to put 9 in the box against indy...redirection might help taylor but we also don't know how good he is going to be out of the gun and running option plays.

No Walker or Etienne, even in that lowest tier?

Etienne, who already didn't show particularly well, has a bruiser to compete with. Walker is essentially in a split backfield now

Let's not kid ourselves, Richardson may turn into something but he's going to suck pretty badly this year. From a fantasy perspective he might be productive because of his legs but I would be amazed if he got to 3000 yards

Defenses are going to put 9 in the box against indy...redirection might help taylor but we also don't know how good he is going to be out of the gun and running option plays.
Sucking pretty badly is certainly within that wide range of possible outcomes. I would say that 3000 yards passing would be a very good outcome this year, but even getting somewhat close would be enough. Lamar has only topped that once and that hasn't stopped the Ravens RBs from putting up big numbers, and Taylor is far better.

I'm mildly optimistic based on his coach. Richardson is extremely raw but if he can coach him up to at least not be terrible passing I think Taylor could be in for a good season.

Sucking pretty badly is certainly within that wide range of possible outcomes. I would say that 3000 yards passing would be a very good outcome this year, but even getting somewhat close would be enough. Lamar has only topped that once and that hasn't stopped the Ravens RBs from putting up big numbers, and Taylor is far better.

I'm mildly optimistic based on his coach. Richardson is extremely raw but if he can coach him up to at least not be terrible passing I think Taylor could be in for a good season.

Yea it's a possibility...it's just a lot of risk from a fantasy perspective for a top rb prospect.

Colts owner Jim Irsay said Jonathan Taylor (ankle) is “healed up” ahead of training camp.
Taylor was sidelined during the Colts minicamp after undergoing an “arthroscopic debridement” to clean up an ankle injury he suffered last season. While Irsay’s comments suggest Taylor is trending in the right direction heading into camp, we’d obviously like a more concrete stance on a player of his caliber. Still, we’d expect him to be ready for camp and Week 1, barring any setbacks. Taylor should be a high-end RB1 across all formats, especially on a Colts offense that’s expected to be run heavy this season.

Colts placed RB Jonathan Taylor (ankle) on active/PUP list.
Taylor can be activated off the PUP list at any time. The veteran running back underwent an “arthroscopic debridement” earlier this offseason to clean up an ankle injury that plagued him in 2022 and will likely be activated in the coming days. For now, we’ll continue to treat Taylor as a running back who could finish as a high-end RB1 season in Shane Steichen’s offense.

You will or have already read he got put on the PUP list but I think it's contract related....and might get ugly.
Quoting myself here but this did in fact get ugly. I'm going to guess in a few days we will hear that Taylor's agent has requested a trade, might have already done so.

Not that anything will come out of it because I just don't see anyone giving up enough to make it worth the Colts while to lock down Taylor for next two years because he's due a little over $4m this year and any team trading for him would be expected to extend him. Not impossible but seems hard anyone wants to give up enough to make it work.

You will or have already read he got put on the PUP list but I think it's contract related....and might get ugly.
Quoting myself here but this did in fact get ugly. I'm going to guess in a few days we will hear that Taylor's agent has requested a trade, might have already done so.

Not that anything will come out of it because I just don't see anyone giving up enough to make it worth the Colts while to lock down Taylor for next two years because he's due a little over $4m this year and any team trading for him would be expected to extend him. Not impossible but seems hard anyone wants to give up enough to make it work.
Man, it felt so great to be a Taylor owner 1 preseason ago.

Wait, what am I talking about? I don't want Taylor to KC. Just makes them better, and the Jets are going for it this year.

Keep Pacheco and feed him.
I don’t like the idea of the Chiefs trading for Taylor either. They clearly don’t need him and Veach needs to stockpile draft picks at this point to keep this roster young throughout Mahomes career.

He’s done a great job in the draft and I want him to have as many swings at the plate that he can get.

Users who are viewing this thread