What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jonathan Taylor, IND (1 Viewer)

I saw a headline, paraphrasing, that he leads the league in touches inside the 20.

It's been two weeks - bad luck so far. Totally different conversation if he has 2 TDs, isn't it?
Is it?

he has been a non-factor in the passing game and the rushing yardage has not been there.  

Is it?

he has been a non-factor in the passing game and the rushing yardage has not been there.  
That yardage (and TDs) hasn't been there, but he had 6 receptions in week 1. 7 grabs between two games isn't bad. 56 over the season is no CMC, but it's solid PPR value.

I saw a headline, paraphrasing, that he leads the league in touches inside the 20.

It's been two weeks - bad luck so far. Totally different conversation if he has 2 TDs, isn't it?
It's a bit different if he converts some of those, but the fear is that he's not converting and they don't give him those chances as much.

BUY LOW

one of the few workhorses out there...his schedule gets real nice around week 6 so ideal buy low point would be around then.

Jonathan Taylor rushed 10 times for 64 yards in Indianapolis' Week 3 loss to the Titans, adding one reception for eight yards on three targets.

Another clunker for Taylor despite a nice YPC average, and one with some scary implications for him vis a vis the current state of the Colts. Indianapolis reached the red zone three times and Nyheim Hines outcarried Taylor 4-1 on those series, with most of the goal-to-go slate running through an overmatched quarterback playing hurt. In a game the Titans never led by more than a touchdown until the third quarter, it was baffling. With a Week 4 matchup against a game Miami defense, it may be time to think about Taylor as an RB2 instead of an RB1.

I think, going back to last year, that Frank Riech stinks. He has been criticized many times by multiple experts on how he calls plays. You have an average QB on two bad ankles and you give your stud RB 10 carries? How many times has Taylor started a game strong and then is forgotten? It's inexcusable. Frank has cost them a few games by doing this. He is always trying to be the smartest guy in the room.

Take notes how other teams use their RB's . 

I think, going back to last year, that Frank Riech stinks. He has been criticized many times by multiple experts on how he calls plays. You have an average QB on two bad ankles and you give your stud RB 10 carries? How many times has Taylor started a game strong and then is forgotten? It's inexcusable. Frank has cost them a few games by doing this. He is always trying to be the smartest guy in the room.

Take notes how other teams use their RB's . 
It’s a shame they extended him- lord knows why they did 

El bust O 
Sadly, this looks to be the case. When the backup RB is forcing a true timeshare and the one getting the high value red zone touches, there is no other way to describe the late 1st early 2nd ADP. I avoided this guy like the plague this year for a multitude of reasons. I made a bunch of other bad calls mind you, but this wasn’t on of them.

Sadly, this looks to be the case. When the backup RB is forcing a true timeshare and the one getting the high value red zone touches, there is no other way to describe the late 1st early 2nd ADP. I avoided this guy like the plague this year for a multitude of reasons. I made a bunch of other bad calls mind you, but this wasn’t on of them.
It just sucks that the problem isn't Taylor. It's coaching. Did they forget how he ran to end 2020? I don't see the Titans giving Henry 10 carries. Their coaches understand who their best player is. Frank obviously doesn't. 

Amazing. How do you seemingly learn from your mistakes last year, and then revert this year to making the same exact mistake? Perhaps being 0-3 will be a wake-up call but Reich sure seems to be clueless here.

They did give Taylor 3 straight carries from the 1 against the Rams and he didn’t score. Not sure if that is in the back of the coaches minds but he goes from a top 10 to a top 20 RB without top level TD opportunities. Sucks for those of us without better options. 

They did give Taylor 3 straight carries from the 1 against the Rams and he didn’t score. Not sure if that is in the back of the coaches minds but he goes from a top 10 to a top 20 RB without top level TD opportunities. Sucks for those of us without better options. 
Nobody running on the Rams. My problem is 100% Frank. Too many times Taylor has had 3 or 4 carries on an opening drive for 30-40 yards and ends the game with 10 or 12 carries. It's inexcusable. 

Those runs were seriously blown up. Taylor has no problem scoring in the redzone as the Colts are historically the worst redzone offense in NFL history right now. Can't make that up.

Taylor is far from the problem. Dude is electric and a hard worker. 

I’m ready to jump ship.  Any thoughts on potential targets (if he still has any trade value…)

El bust O 

He averaged 6.4 ypc yesterday.  The problem isn't Taylor and if the coaches can figure out that he is their best offensive weapon and start getting him 20+ touches a game he will be far from a bust.  Unfortunately, his talent makes you want to keep hoping but the coaching is so frustrating it is a cluster and you get stuck.  Ugh.

I'm guessing that the Colts will have to learn the stubborn way again to lean on Taylor like they did late last year, when he was going off. They must have amnesia but I suspect it will be a bumpy ride until then. I haven't lost complete faith because they leaned on him a ton last year, but Wentz and the O-line, as well as entire team taking a step back doesn't look great.

I had a bad feeling about him this year but couldn't resist the $28 keeper price tag. I thought I got a bargain. Instead, that $28 could've been used on mid-round breakouts : / 

This talk is exactly the same talk that was happening around this time last year.  If I didn't have him already I would be trying to get him on the cheap from an owner panicking just like they did last year.  The talent will eventually show through just like last year.  

Jonathan Taylor (knee) was limited in Wednesday's practice.

It's the first we've heard of any knee issue for Taylor, but the limited session would suggest he's going to be okay for Week 4 against the Dolphins. Taylor is tied for the NFL lead in red-zone carries but has gotten off to a real slow start. He needs to be downgraded to mid-range RB2 status in a horrid offense with an injury-riddled offensive line.

Sep 29, 2021, 4:13 PM ET

Seemingly flying under the radar is the news that Quenton Nelson got carted off during this past game and is likely to miss multiple games with a high ankle sprain. Chris Reed filled in pretty okay, but is obviously a downgrade from an All-Pro like Nelson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts and prayers that this is the week they play him in neutral script hopefully. Just unleash the guy 26 carries 140 yards 2 tds!

Seemingly flying under the radar is the news that Quenton Nelson got carted off during this past game and is likely to miss multiple games with a high ankle sprain. Chris Reed filled in pretty okay, but is obviously a downgrade from an All-Pro like Nelson.
Don't think Nelson's injury is flying under any radars. He's likely out this week, though still unofficial.

Jonathan Taylor (knee) remained limited in Thursday's practice.

Most of the information we have on this -- including from Doug Kyed's sources -- points to Taylor being active on Sunday. It would be surprising if this became anything important, but keep an eye on Friday's practice report just in case. If Taylor were to miss time, Nyheim Hines' share of the backfield would likely grow and make him a potential RB1 while Marlon Mack would probably get some snaps. Those are the only three backs to take carries for the Colts so far this year. 

Sep 30, 2021, 3:53 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Jonathan Taylor (knee) is expected to play in Week 4 against the Dolphins.

Rapoport added that Taylor had "a little fluid build up in his knee, but it was more nagging than anything else." That's maybe not the best thing for a running back to be dealing with this early in the year but if Taylor is active, the Colts are going to load him up with touches. Through three winless weeks, he has seen the rock 50 times. In a game with Miami that Vegas expects to be close, Taylor should push for 20 touches and RB1 numbers. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 3, 2021, 8:43 AM ET

How many times are reporter going to say "he'll be loaded up with touches"? Hasn't happened yet.

Maybe Frank remembers how well he did last year when he actually did get touches.

I'm ok with him getting 15 touches & 90-100% of the work inside the 5 ........  but without 20+ touches a game he isn't a weekly RB1 without a TD 

Jonathan Taylor rushed 16 times for 103 yards and a touchdown and caught 3 passes for 11 yards in the Colts' Week 4 win over the Dolphins.

The Colts' offense put on a middling performance but Taylor had no problem breaking a handful of long runs versus the Dolphins. His highlight of the day was a 23-yard touchdown run in the first half. Marlon Mack earned a surprising 10 carries after being shopped on the trade market all week. Despite his boost in volume, Taylor backers shouldn't be concerned. He entered the game with a knee injury and the bulk of Mack's work came in the closing minutes of the game. Taylor remains an RB1 versus the Ravens next week.

Isn't O-line in bad shape at the moment?
Lost their RT in week 2, lost Nelson last week and now Nelson is on IR. There was a scare with Center Ryan Kelly coming out yesterday but turns out it was an equipment issue and not an injury thankfully.

The Ravens have given up 34, 31, 46, 47, 42, 56, and 48 yards to RBs this season.

I don't think Indy is as good as Denver at running (56, 48), so why would Taylor be an RB1 next week?

Broncos had moderate success and the power back like Javonte did have an impressive run. Yeah, the problem is it's on the road in primetime and Wentz is at Baltimore which is a tough place to play in general.

They would be wise to ride Taylor early and often in this one to settle the game down. Colts D looked decent and they were desperate for a win 

Jonathan Taylor rushed 15 times for 53 yards and one touchdown in the Colts' Week 5 loss to the Ravens, adding three catches for 116 yards and a second touchdown on four targets.

Taylor got the scoring started by catching a simple screen pass to the left on 3rd-and-15 and taking it 76 yards to the house on the opening drive. The Ravens really didn't have an answer for Taylor in the passing game, as he out-targeted backfield mate Nyheim Hines 4-1 in this one. Taylor's rushing score came from four yards out in the third quarter to give the Colts a 22-3 lead, one they would blow. Taylor now has three touchdowns over his last two games and is settling in as an every-week RB1/2 after a slow start. He gets a date with the lowly Texans in Week 6.

Oct 11, 2021, 11:58 PM ET

He should of had even more.

I'll keep saying it., Reich is not a good coach. 1st series Taylor goes nuts. 2nd series goes to Mack. Terrible. 

Don't see that happening on other teams with a great RB. 

He should of had even more.

I'll keep saying it., Reich is not a good coach. 1st series Taylor goes nuts. 2nd series goes to Mack. Terrible. 

Don't see that happening on other teams with a great RB. 
Mack was 5-47 on the ground and caught 1 for 7. Not bad. The offense scored 25 and could've been 32 if not for the missed kicks. The loss is on the defense.

We all want to see the RBs we drafted get 25 touches/game.  But spelling guys is not bad coaching, particularly when the back up is playing well. It's a long season and they need their best players to be available every week.

There are very few Derrick Henry's in the league and when they come around they generally don't last long.

I think star RBs in particular need to be vocal about deploying backfield help regularly lest they get used up before they even get a crack at their 2nd contract.

Mack was 5-47 on the ground and caught 1 for 7. Not bad. The offense scored 25 and could've been 32 if not for the missed kicks. The loss is on the defense.
Why were they playing Zone all game and literally not sending the house to Lamar? Make him process and read the blitzes. He literally had a field day with Andrews wrecking zone. 

We all want to see the RBs we drafted get 25 touches/game.  But spelling guys is not bad coaching, particularly when the back up is playing well. It's a long season and they need their best players to be available every week.

There are very few Derrick Henry's in the league and when they come around they generally don't last long.

I think star RBs in particular need to be vocal about deploying backfield help regularly lest they get used up before they even get a crack at their 2nd contract.

I'd love to see the fantasy points per touch metric for these guys that are being spelled, vs 25-30 touches and losing efficiency 

Also, great players make great plays. Taylor 70 yard TD's are well within his range of outcomes with his vision, top-end speed, and power. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread