What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenneth Dixon, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

What a bummer.  He looked so good coming out, had a relatively clean injury history and didn't seem like a steroid guy, and looked decent whenever he got a chance. Just non stop disappointment with this guy. 

(RotoWire) The Ravens cleared Dixon (knee) to resume practicing Friday.

Analysis: Dixon has already spent more than the minimum eight weeks on injured reserve, so he'll be eligible to return to the active roster at any point over the next three weeks now that he's back practicing again. With three veteran running backs already on the Balitmore roster, Dixon's role would be uncertain if he's ultimately activated from IR. The Louisiana Tech product did draw 28 snaps in Week 1 while Javorius Allen took 38 and Alex Collins handled 34, so there's a good chance Dixon factors into the mix in some fashion once he's ready to go.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/kenneth-dixon-cleared-to-practice-after-designated-return-from-ir

That report is dated November 16th BTW. I don't think he's practiced yet. By the time he starts practicing he'll be in a backfield with:

Alex Collins

Ty Montgomery

Gus Williams

Javorius Allen

Last edited by a moderator:
The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec speculated Gus Edwards' ankle injury could prompt the Ravens to activate Kenneth Dixon (knee, injured reserve).

Dixon resumed practicing two weeks ago, opening a 21-day window for him to be activated off injured reserve. That did not seem likely at the time given Baltimore's glut at the position, but injuries to both Edwards and Alex Collins could prompt a move. Dixon is certainly a name to watch in deeper leagues.

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter 

Nov 28 - 9:11 PM

Ravens are considering adding Kenneth Dixon to the active roster prior to Week 13 against the Falcons.

The team would have to make that move by 4:00 pm EST on Saturday. Dixon profiles as a pass-catcher, but could handle a fair amount of carries pending Gus Edwards' (ankle) health. Ravens are also expected to have Alex Collins and Ty Montgomery active. Dixon can be stashed as a speculative add for the fantasy playoffs, but he'll be hard pressed to separate from the rest of this group if active.

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter 

Nov 30 - 1:05 PM

He’s my handcuff to Gus.  A consolation since I lost Hunt and didn’t have Ware.  Some non playoff team stashed all the high value handcuffs

Might be more than a handcuff. the first game this year when he was healthy he had 13 carries and a touchdown. he had several very well executed run-pass option plays with current quarterback Lamar Jackson as well.

he offers something different from the current running backs on the roster. That is he can play all facets of the game. He is a good receiver out of the  backfield. he is also a more than capable runner between the tackles as he has the right size and has done it successfully before I'll be at on a limited basis due to injury and suspension.

the mere fact that the team designated him to return from IR when they already had four active running backs on the roster says that they have an element of trust in him and feel that he is a talented ### at they want to get on the field.

Gus Edwards currently has a somewhat tweaked ankle, and is not valuable in the past game. I think most teams in general prefer to have a running back who win in the game don't chip off the play calling to the defense based on their usage. When Gus Edwards is in the game you know the ball is only either going to him on the ground or will be a pass play in which case there is no need to cover him. This would not be the case with Kenneth Dixon.

right now he is a free ad and I am sure there are players at the end of people's rosters who will not make it in their lineups. he has the potential to become the lead running back in his backfield just in time for weeks 15 and 16 of the fantasy playoffs which is also coinciding with the very good schedule. including a game against the Buccaneers where they might prefer to have a receiving option rather than Gus Edwards on the field at most times as it could be a high-scoring game.

Dropped Winston for him. I have Mahomes so I won't need another QB assuming there's no injury. I currently have a lot of RBs but he was free so why not.

McCaffrey, Gordon/Ekeler/Justin Jackson, Spencer Ware, Kenyan Drake, McGuire, Burkhead, Malcolm Brown, and now Dixon. I guess I'm playing defense as well to keep these guys from going elsewhere.

Dropped Winston for him. I have Mahomes so I won't need another QB assuming there's no injury. I currently have a lot of RBs but he was free so why not.

McCaffrey, Gordon/Ekeler/Justin Jackson, Spencer Ware, Kenyan Drake, McGuire, Burkhead, Malcolm Brown, and now Dixon. I guess I'm playing defense as well to keep these guys from going elsewhere.
I decided to keep Winston and instead roll with three WRs (Beckham, Hill, and AB). Dropped David Moore for Dixon and keeping Winston to back up Newton.

Debating on whether to add him but would have to drop Damien Williams. Who is the better lottery ticket? 
Damien Williams has never been good. He has ware ahead of him another rookie Williams there too. Plus if ware gets hurt Charles and charcandrick west know the system and can be signed. 

Dixon can outright take over the backfield if he performs well. Gus did what he did in a great situation with a shiny new running an with little tape on that qb. He went against league worst defenses. He now has to face the Falcons the bucs KC and the Chargers. Will need to get the passing game to get going to keep up. Gus doesn't catch the ball......

Keep in mind the last minute activation of Dixon was not because the coaches just realized in the past 24 hours that Collins is hurt and Dixon is better as seems to be assumed in the media. They probably had this planned out all week if not before.

Harbaugh explicitly said he would try to maintain ambiguity regarding who would play at QB and RB this week in last week’s post game interview (didn’t really work at QB due to Flacco’s health).  Nobody in the media listened to him but he was pretty clear.

So bottom line they’ve almost certainly been planning for Dixon to play tomorrow during their game prep this week, and the late Saturday announcement was just meeting the 4pm deadline and an attempt to throw the Falcons prep off.

Seems likely Dixon gets multiple chances tomorrow to show that what he can offer the team going into the final stretch.  He knows the offense, the playbook, and he’s physically ready to roll (all per Harbaugh).

Seems likely Dixon gets multiple chances tomorrow to show that what he can offer the team going into the final stretch.  He knows the offense, the playbook, and he’s physically ready to roll (all per Harbaugh).
While Dixon undoubtedly knows the offense, I'd be very surprised if Dixon were given more than a handful of carries after Edwards has been running so well these past few weeks. 

Edwards gives them the best chance to win.  I believe he is the only Balt RB that has put up 100 yards rushing and he has done so in consecutive weeks.  Why would you change that formula when you are in the playoff race?  The concern seems to be if ATL jumps out to a lead, will Balt abandon the run game giving the pass catching backs like Allen and Dixon more value?  LOL, Gus has not caught a pass.  

CanaBuc said:
Damien Williams has never been good. He has ware ahead of him another rookie Williams there too. Plus if ware gets hurt Charles and charcandrick west know the system and can be signed. 

Dixon can outright take over the backfield if he performs well. Gus did what he did in a great situation with a shiny new running an with little tape on that qb. He went against league worst defenses. He now has to face the Falcons the bucs KC and the Chargers. Will need to get the passing game to get going to keep up. Gus doesn't catch the ball......
I have no problem with this assertion in theory. I'm just wondering if Baltimore is a "take over" kind of backfield? I'm not a Ravens fan but it almost seems like you have to go back to Ray Rice to find someone who was "the guy". Since then it's been a serial rotation of guys + frustratingly unpredictable (from a fantasy POV) committees.

zamboni said:
While Dixon undoubtedly knows the offense, I'd be very surprised if Dixon were given more than a handful of carries after Edwards has been running so well these past few weeks. 
ATL getting healthier in the front 7 my guess is there’s more room passing than running as far as RB production today.

Also would like to see Dixon on some option plays like in week 1 less confident we will though right out of the gate.  

excited to see how it plays out.

ATL getting healthier in the front 7 my guess is there’s more room passing than running as far as RB production today.

Also would like to see Dixon on some option plays like in week 1 less confident we will though right out of the gate.  

excited to see how it plays out.
Added Dixon in both my leagues - hoping he gets some usage today so I might be able to use him in the playoffs. 

I can’t shake this feeling that harbaugh has a hard on for Dixon.  Ever since he was a rookie.  This kid has flashed in the brief appearances he makes hit is mostly injured or suspended.   Yet harbaugh has kept him around.  I feel like harbaugh wants Dixon to step in and take the job.  It’s why I felt nervous about owning Collins gong into this season until Dixon went down in week 1.  But now he’s back and Collins is on IR.  Edwards is a jag.  Harbaugh knows this.  In his first game action since week 1, Dixon I think hot what, 8 touches for 40 something yards?  And that was him shaking off the rust and getting back into game action.  Edwards definitely does not have a stronghold on the starting job and has a bum ankle.   I’m wondering if Dixon is a secret RB1 for the fantasy playoffs.  

I dont int think I have the stones to start him this week, but if I survive into week 15 in the 2 leagues I got him and his touches increase INC week 14 and he does some good things I may just roll him out in my flex for week 15.  

Any thoughts on Dixon in terms of keeper/dynasty value?

I just saw this stat on Twitter from @ScottBarrettDFB (senior fantasy analyst at Pro Football Focus, and an excellent follow):

Kenneth Dixon (rank by Missed Tackles Forced per Touch):

2018: 1st of 88

2017: DNP

2016: 1st of 66

2015: 4th of 114

2014: 5th of 108

Obviously Dixon was drafted in 2016, so 2014 and 2015 stats are based on NCAA action. Since turning pro he has missed a lot of time with injuries, suspensions, etc... so we are dealing with a smallish sample size. However... he's definitely flashed a 3-down skillset (catching 30 passes in 12 games as a rookie) and he could be a VERY good fit in Baltimore with Lamar Jackson at QB opening up running lanes. 

The Ravens never committed to Alex Collins (fumbles, too one-dimensional?) and now he's on IR and will be a restricted free agent this offseason. Gus Edwards flashed for a minute but has since been pretty unimpressive (not all that surprising from a undrafted FA rookie). Ty Montgomery is a nice 3rd down back but it seems like he won't hold up to consistent carries and he will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason. Buck Allen has been completely phased out and will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason. That leaves Dixon, who the Ravens have held onto despite his off-filed issues and constant injuries. Just this week Harbaugh told the media his role will grow going forward. Could just be coach-speak, and all signs still point to some form of a committee, but if Dixon continues to impress and Collins/Montgomery/Allen are all gone next year, there could be a big opportunity for him. Of course the Ravens could draft a RB and muddy the waters considerably, and given Dixon's lack of availability in the past that might be wise, but for a cheap stash and hold I really like this guy. 

I’ll reiterate what I said above before week 14: Dixon is harbaugh’s guy.  Harbaugh has serious man love for him.  Even back in 2017 there is a video with harbaugh outright proclaiming “I’m a Kenneth Dixon fan” and gushing about what a good guy he is and how he wants to be great.  

Harbaugh wants Dixon to grab the reigns and run away with this job.  Edwards is nothing more than an undrafted small bump in the road.  He’s a JAG.  He runs hard and that’s about it.  A good complimentary and maybe gl back.  But harbaugh knows that Dixon has the potential to be special if he stays healthy and off of suspension.  

Even after Collins had that bigbyear last year we all had the feeling that harbaugh just wouldn’t fully comity to him.  Proof of that is the workload given to Edwards even before Collins went down.  It was the kind of workload Collins owners have been screaming for for the last year.  And then some undrafted no name comes in and gets it.  

Coaxhes have preferred guys and us ff players need to recognize that.  Harbaugh drafted Dixon and has a man crush on him.  And we now have 2 weeks of data showing increasing usage and he is outperforming Edwards.  

Then harbaugh says after week 14 that he “knew that Dixon’s role would grow and it will continue to grow”.  He’s basically sending out the message.  Dixon should get at least 50% of the rb snaps vs the bucks this weekend.  And, if the trend of the  last 2 games continues, should vastly outperform Edwards.   

Ravens are now one of the most run heavy teams in the league now with ljax at qb.  A rb on that team that gets 12-13 touches is a valuable flex player.  

Moving forward, I see no reason why Dixon can’t be tanned as their fb of the present and future in Balt providing that he stays healthy and continues to impress harbaugh for the remainder of this season.   These last 3 regular season games and the playoffs will give him enough audition time to seize the job.  We will see.  

I have Dixon locked and loaded in one redraft and one dynasty league. 

With Collins seemingly unlikely to be back next year, unless the Ravens go out and sign or draft someone to be a legit threat, it could come down to Dixon vs Edwards as the starter next year, too. There's some really sneaky value there if he can stay on the field... obviously a big if, but that's an equally big opportunity.

With Collins seemingly unlikely to be back next year, unless the Ravens go out and sign or draft someone to be a legit threat, it could come down to Dixon vs Edwards as the starter next year, too. There's some really sneaky value there if he can stay on the field... obviously a big if, but that's an equally big opportunity.
Will there ever be a ravens RB that really has value?

It's been since Ray Rice that I'd ever consider drafting a BAL RB.  Offense is usually pretty solid, but RBs just always seem to be roll players rather than features in that offense, and there is always some kind of RBBC.  And they never seem to have a big name guy on their roster.

Not much talent in the free agent pool this offseason: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/running-back/

Here's a link about the upcoming RB class.

Not much talent in the free agent pool this offseason:
I should have opened up the link about upcoming draft class before I responded to say and the draft class is weak as well.  I'd deleted this post if I could.

Weak FA and draft RB class for sure.

It's been since Ray Rice that I'd ever consider drafting a BAL RB.  Offense is usually pretty solid, but RBs just always seem to be roll players rather than features in that offense, and there is always some kind of RBBC.  And they never seem to have a big name guy on their roster.
The potential is there. Using data dominator, the RB position ranks 14th in fantasy points... just behind PIT. The reason the Baltimore RB seems worthless is because they've never had one guy for 16 straight games.

Dixon has always appealed to me because he's built like a workhorse but with the hands and pass blocking to play all three downs. It's been cheap to carry him on my IR, but it sure would be nice if he finally paid off in 2019.

Or the draft class
Agreed. Probably won't see anyone going in the 1st round.

Agreed. Probably won't see anyone going in the 1st round.
If a bet existed with an over/under on when the first RB in the draft would be taken as pick 48 I'd take the over without hesitation.

On a Dixon related note I kind of compare this to the RB draft class the year he came out, just without Elliot.  Which sans Elliot is the worst incoming rookie draft class for RB's I can recall.

If they go with Lamar they likely need a good stable of RB's because they are going to get heavily used.

Unfortunately the Lamar effect is bittersweet for RB's, what he giveth in running lanes he taketh away with limited receiving work. This is a tricky one for me because I like Dixon's talent and upside but don't like to invest in RB's that don't factor  much in passing game.

Okay I have both Gus and Dixon in my standard league.  Do I play both?  If I do I'd be sitting Michel.  Someone tell me what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread