What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenyan Drake, LV (2 Viewers)

My understanding was that boots are used for super minor things all the time as a legit precautionary measure. 

I'm not saying that applies here just because that's how the coach said it, but it's at least possible that there is some overreaction going on. Boots help one to heal quickly, even from minor stuff. Or so I had it in my mind. 

I only own one redraft share and don't really care much. Just thought people were sounding a little panicky.

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said Kenyan Drake (foot) is "close" to returning to practice in full.

Kingsbury knows how important Drake and DeAndre Hopkins are to the offense, so he's essentially just put them on ice during training camp practices and allowing their bodies get back to 100%. That seems very close to happening, which means they should be practicing next week as they lead up to the season opener against the 49ers. Drake should be ready for a full workload in Kingsbury's beautiful rushing scheme, one that vaulted into every-week RB1 status late last season. Expect that to happen again in 2020 with Chase Edmonds waiting for his call as Drake's clear-cut insurance.

SOURCE: AZCardinals.com

Sep 1, 2020, 9:02 PM ET

Any walking boot update?  Homers? 
@joshweinfuss

Kenyan Drake said he was out of his walking boot in “like two days.” So, that wasn’t an issue. But he got sick the last week of camp.

3:15 PM · Sep 7, 2020·TweetDeck
@Kyle_Odegard

7h

RB Kenyan Drake, WR DeAndre Hopkins and WR Larry Fitzgerald were all participating in open portion of Cardinals practice.

Cardinals RB Kenyan Drake (foot) was not listed on the team's injury report.

Drake sported a walking boot in late August and missed portions of practice thereafter, but not being included on the team's initial injury report only suggests optimism ahead of Week 1. The Cardinals are confident in backup Chase Edmonds, as they should be, but Drake displayed special traits last season while picking up Kliff Kingsbury's scheme on the fly. It's not an easy matchup against the 49ers, but Drake likely lands as a top 15 option prior to kickoff.

Sep 9, 2020, 8:44 PM ET

Kenyan Drake rushed 16 times for 60 yards and one score, catching both of his targets for five yards in Arizona's Week 1 win over the 49ers.

Drake played a pivotal role in Arizona's Week 1 upset, tucking his head and rushing forward for the game-winning touchdown from one-yard out before sealing the deal with two carries and a first down to put Kyler Murray in position to kill the clock with kneels. Chase Edmonds was more involved than expected, totaling 45 yards and a touchdown on nine touches, but Drake still out-carried his teammate 16 to 6 as Arizona's lead back. Drake will rank as a low-end RB1 next week against Washington with Edmonds filing in as FLEX play with standalone value.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't think Edmonds would be so involved, looked like a Kareem Hunt sort of situation.

Do we see this as a norm going forward?

My guess is that this is more of a 70/30 split going forward.  They may have been taking it easy on Drake with him spending recent time in a boot.

18 for 73 on the ground today (4.1 avg), 1 for 6 through the air.

That big breakout game is still coming I guess.
Murray was horrid today. Should have had 5 picks. As was Kliff.  Terrible play calling and decisions.  Line was poor as well. Trifecta. I haven’t seen holes like last year 

Kenyan Drake rushed 18 times for 73 yards in the Cardinals' Week 3 loss to the Lions, adding a six-yard reception. 

Perfectly serviceable, but fantasy players were expecting a lot more vs. a Lions run defense that got blown out of the building in Weeks 1 and 2. Drake has been sorely lacking for big plays through three contests, averaging a modest 4.05 yards per carry and notching a long run of 16. Drake has just five receptions, a deeply disappointing total. Thus far, Chase Edmonds has not been meaningfully cutting into Drake's work, but you have to wonder how much longer that will continue. Drake has another plus RB2 spot for Week 4 in the Panthers. 

Sep 27, 2020, 7:56 PM ET

Lots of toilet bowl contenders like me drafted this guy.  It's been painful to watch.  Terrible O-line play and schemes.  I have no idea what Arizona is trying to run other than let Kyler Murray scramble.  Last year AZ was right there with Baltimore with RPO effectiveness.  This year nothing.  And this guy Kingsbury is supposed to be an offensive genius? The injury is just added salt to the wound.

Kenyan Drake rushed 13 times for 35 yards in the Cardinals' Week 4 loss to the Panthers.

He was not targeted, and it might be time to panic as this was a season low in yardage for Drake against what was considered a favorable matchup. That turned out not to be the case, as Carolina held a 28-7 lead in the 3rd quarter and Drake was scripted out. The running back then went down hard on one of his final touches, but was able to walk off the field. Drake is a RB2 against the Jets in Week 5, even if your trust in him as evaporated.

Oct 4, 2020, 5:23 PM ET

What is everyone doing with this guy? I have him and Edmonds and was tempted to just start Edmonds next week but luckily I can shift Josh Kelley into the mix now. 

Something happened from when he was a world beater last year to now - just hard to pinpoint because the threat of Murray should be nothing but a positive for Drake.

Something happened from when he was a world beater last year to now - just hard to pinpoint because the threat of Murray should be nothing but a positive for Drake.
I just watched some film. The offensive line is not playing well, and has Drake looking for the edge now on almost every play. In doing so, he's missing big gaps up the middle when they are there. He looks fine physically, but needs to get his head right.

I see it as those 4 TD's in week 15 and 16 blinding the truth. He also had that Thursday nighter, not much in between. Maybe this is who he is. 

I see it as those 4 TD's in week 15 and 16 blinding the truth. He also had that Thursday nighter, not much in between. Maybe this is who he is. 
To be fair, in his 8 games with Arizona last year, his rushing totals were 123-643-8, for a gaudy 5.2 YPC. He probably overachieved in a good situation last year and not as bad as he's shown this year. Likely somewhere in between. 

I probably have moved Gibson ahead of him on my teams pecking order.  Not that anyone cares....

To be fair, in his 8 games with Arizona last year, his rushing totals were 123-643-8, for a gaudy 5.2 YPC. He probably overachieved in a good situation last year and not as bad as he's shown this year. Likely somewhere in between. 
To be fair, that was mostly accomplished in 3 games. Maybe he goes on another 2-3 game tear, who knows? 

Edmonds seems to have more "pop" out there, from what I have seen. 

Something I never thought I'd say: Maybe Gase was right? 😱

This is the best hope for Drake owners, right now. 

To be fair, that was mostly accomplished in 3 games. Maybe he goes on another 2-3 game tear, who knows? 

Edmonds seems to have more "pop" out there, from what I have seen. 
I would say 5, which is not an insignificant total, and he's had a few big games in the past even with Miami. 

But I agree that he is probably not the guy we thought he was down the stretch last year.

Drake just looks slow and sluggish this year - kind of how David Johnson looked last year. I'm not sure what the problem is, but he just doesn't seem to have any juice.

drake is getting 2/3 of the snaps but he only has 5 targets compared to edmonds 17 targets.

if you recall when drake came over last season it was right after edmonds got hurt and missed most of the end of the season. so this is really the first time they have both been healthy together. i hate selling low, but with so many RB injuries perhaps you can still get decent value from a desperate owner. was conisdering offering OBJ to the drake owner (who is weak at WR and has MG3 and kamara at rb with drake...) but i might now make that offer)

I've been holding Drake in dynasty since I drafted him, so I have a bit of an irrational attachment, but after a sting of disappointing games against great match ups I'm losing hope. 

Was offered a late 1st yesterday, would have laughed at that 2 weeks ago...

drake is getting 2/3 of the snaps but he only has 5 targets compared to edmonds 17 targets.

if you recall when drake came over last season it was right after edmonds got hurt and missed most of the end of the season. so this is really the first time they have both been healthy together. i hate selling low, but with so many RB injuries perhaps you can still get decent value from a desperate owner. was conisdering offering OBJ to the drake owner (who is weak at WR and has MG3 and kamara at rb with drake...) but i might now make that offer)
Sort of. They actually did play together for several games last year - Edmonds only missed three games, although David Johnson was still there, too. But after they made the trade for Drake after Edmonds got hurt, Drake was obviously running hot and Edmonds (and DJ) was an afterthought. Not so much any more. 

Kenyan Drake rushed 18 times for 60 yards and one score, catching his lone target for two yards in Arizona's Week 5 win over the Jets.

Coach Kliff Kingsbury gave Drake the team's first two carries on the opening drive but Drake only mustered three yards up the gut. Chase Edmonds received the next carry and exploded through the middle for a 29-yard touchdown. Drake also received one target, bringing his total on the year to six, and looked every bit the part of his 3.2 yards per touch, saving his fantasy day with a two-yard goal line score. Edmonds, who got eight touches, has to be in consideration to overthrow Drake soon. The latter will be a usage-based RB3 in next week's contest against Dallas.

- Rotoworld

Kenyan Drake rushed 20 times for 164 yards and two touchdowns in the Cardinals' Week 6 win over the Cowboys Monday night.

He failed to catch either of his two targets in the passing game, dropping one on a third down. Drake has seen next to zero involvement in the passing game this season, and this was his first 100-yard outing of the year after struggling his way to 3.7 yards per carry Weeks 1-5. Drake's first touchdown was a one-yard goal-line walk-in in the second quarter, and the second was a meaningless 69-yarder late in the fourth quarter when the Cowboys simply had already given up. It all still counts in the box score, though. Drake has looked bad much of the season, so this was a much-needed breakout. He gets a home date with the Seahawks in Week 7.

Oct 19, 2020, 11:24 PM ET

Here just to see if the "take away that 1 play and he..." or the "you can't take away that 1 play" side is more convincing this week.

I was one of those peeps who won his matchup this week due to that garbage time Drake TD and I'm not giving it back as I've lost plenty of games over the years having same #### happen to me...lol

That said, before the garbage time TD, Drake did look better tonight than he has all year. So there is some positive mojo to take out of tonight. And I for one wouldn't trade him and won't as it would not be crazy to think Drake could go on a nice little roll with Seattle a bye, Miami, Buffalo and Seattle again coming up. He's a firm hold for me and it appears the coaching staff trusts him and is going to roll with him despite how well Edmonds has played this year.

Users who are viewing this thread