What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (3 Viewers)

He's my #2 at this moment  :shrug: .  Still tier2 but he leads that group from a talent perspective for me based purely on watching clips of his games.  Not sure what you're missing but I see every possible trait when I look at him, besides the ideal size.  That can be corrected if he weighs in higher than expected and whatnot at the combine, but there are RB's with success at his current listed size so it doesn't concern me that much.  
I honestly dont kno. Maybe I was just so truly turned off of darnold this year, that by osmosis, i didn't like jones. 

Gotta watch again. 

Only watched his tape from 3 games so far, but it appeared that his line was pretty bad, and he was able to avoid contact in the backfield and still manage to get positive yards when they played tough defenses. Also, he had good hands and was wide open on a lot of plays where Darnold just didn't look for him. Need to watch more to be able to judge him better, but right now he's definitely top 5 for me, and if the Steelers let Leveon go, and draft Jones, he'll be my #2 (100% because I'm a homer) (also, this has been mocked several times).

Only watched his tape from 3 games so far, but it appeared that his line was pretty bad, and he was able to avoid contact in the backfield and still manage to get positive yards when they played tough defenses. Also, he had good hands and was wide open on a lot of plays where Darnold just didn't look for him. Need to watch more to be able to judge him better, but right now he's definitely top 5 for me, and if the Steelers let Leveon go, and draft Jones, he'll be my #2 (100% because I'm a homer) (also, this has been mocked several times).
I’ve watched two more of his games this week. This is pretty spot on the things that he can do with the ball in his hands with that offensive line play is ridiculous. DARE I say I’ve seen him do things that would make Barkley blush!

He’s challenging Penny for that #2 spot with Sony close behind.

Tex

The least hyped top RB in this class.  Should be more recognition coming his way in the next couple months.  

Now that I have watched more of him (being in the northeast I just don’t watch as much PAC 10) I am real impressed...I like how he runs...has an NFL game...my guess is by the time rookie drafts happen you are gonna have to be in the top 4 to have a shot at him...

According to NFL Draft Scout, Ronald Jones II had the third best fumble rate of any prospect in the class.

Jones ranks behind only Darrel Williams (358) and Demario Richard (238) with a fumble rate of 207.7. If you're curious what that number means, it means that he fumbled once for every 207.7 touches. Ball security is something scouts obviously want to see from tailbacks, and the fact that Jones not only possesses tremendous talent but the ability to hold onto the football bodes well for the former USC star. He currently projects as a Day 2 selection.

Source: NFL Draft Scout 

Feb 12 - 12:53 PM

A compelling stat for those who play in leagues where fumbles result in negative points for your scoring system.

USC RB Ronald Jones arrived at the NFL Combine at 5-feet-11 and 205 pounds.

What stands out most is Jones' 8 3/4 inch hands, but Jones certainly does not have a fumbling problem as he possesses the third best fumble rate in the class. Jones has earned plenty of comparisons to Jamaal Charles in recent week, and this weigh-in is very similar.

Source: Charles Robinson on Twitter 

Feb 28 - 11:30 AM

Jones's weighin of 5'11.0", 205 lbs., 28.6 BMI is definitely better than nfldraftscout's estimate of 5'11.6", 200 lbs., 27.4 BMI. If he runs close to their predicted 4.39 forty then it will be a good combine for him.

Big Jones fan here. I'd much rather have Jones at the top of round 2, than Barkley at the top of 1. Though if/when he runs a sub 4.4 forty, I wouldn't be shocked if Jones snuck into round 1. 

Big Jones fan here. I'd much rather have Jones at the top of round 2, than Barkley at the top of 1. Though if/when he runs a sub 4.4 forty, I wouldn't be shocked if Jones snuck into round 1. 
Ive pretty much seen jones as a top 6 pick. If hes available.in round2 something went all sideways

I guess at this point you got to take Jones off your draft board- too injury prone. The guy can't even run in a straight line without getting hurt. 

(Ronald) Jones has been battling a hamstring injury the last 2-3 weeks but wanted to battle through it to run - @RapSheet

I guess the silver lining is he may drop further down dynasty draft boards now.
That's going to be fascinating.  Those that want to h8 are going to doubt his weight (added too much/wasn't in shape) and criticize his 40 (wasn't in shape because of weight gain/wouldn't have run fast anyway) while those that want to believe are going to have to cling to a whole lot of nothing concrete.  I was very undecided on him coming in and once I saw his weight the first thing I thought was "if he carries that well through the 40 and 3-cone that's going to bode well for him".  Very disappointing I don't get to see that now.

Any agent who has his skill position client run the 40 at the combine if he is hurt is not doing his job...that is not something to gut out if you are not 100%...if you are hurt you wait to run it when you aren’t hurt...

Last edited by a moderator:
That's going to be fascinating.  Those that want to h8 are going to doubt his weight (added too much/wasn't in shape) and criticize his 40 (wasn't in shape because of weight gain/wouldn't have run fast anyway) while those that want to believe are going to have to cling to a whole lot of nothing concrete.  I was very undecided on him coming in and once I saw his weight the first thing I thought was "if he carries that well through the 40 and 3-cone that's going to bode well for him".  Very disappointing I don't get to see that now.
Or maybe he'll run at his pro day.

Any agent who has his skill position client run the 40 at the combine is not doing his job...that is not something to gut out if you are not 100%...if you are hurt you wait to run it when you aren’t hurt...
It really makes no sense especially because yesterday he said he'd hold off on the bench until his pro day. Why push yourself to do the 40 with a bad hamstring but not the bench? Kind of an odd decision making process.

It really makes no sense especially because yesterday he said he'd hold off on the bench until his pro day. Why push yourself to do the 40 with a bad hamstring but not the bench? Kind of an odd decision making process.
He is a player who has a lot of value tied up in his 40 time...no one thinks you are a wus for not running it if you are banged up as long as you eventually do it...this was a horrible business decision...

Seems like he probably knew he could run a fast 40 that would massively boost his draft stock and wanted to take a shot.  I don't think pulling up lame during the run is necessarily any worse than not running it for his draft stock, but he had a chance to make millions of dollars more if he believed he could turn in a fast time.

Pro day 40's always come with a huge asterisk so if he thought his 40 time was a strength, doing it at the combine would have made a much bigger difference than at his pro day.

I can’t imagine him pulling up lame at the combine hurts him and that’s coming from someone who isn’t particularly a big RoJo fan. He participated to appease the knuckleheads in NFL front office that closely resemble the personality of Chuck Pagano. Just cliches, machismo and ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there reports anywhere on his 10 yard split? It looks like he was more than 10 yards into his run when he pulled up, so his 10 yard split could give us a legit level-playing-field comparison with other RBs.

Are there reports anywhere on his 10 yard split? It looks like he was more than 10 yards into his run when he pulled up, so his 10 yard split could give us a legit level-playing-field comparison with other RBs.
Good point but no I don't have that info and obtaining 10 yard split info is usually frustrating to obtain.  I had posted in another thread a few days ago that I saw a list of top 10 10 yard splits at the combine but still can't find a list that shows the time. I've mulled over manually doing it but doubt it would be very accurate.

He did have a 36.5" vertical so I'd assume it was good - great.  Sure would be good to know if someone could find that.  I had no luck searching for about 20 minutes.  But from this Steelers site, it appears nobody had it recorded other than OL and DL.  Maybe they didn't have it working properly til the linemen went?  

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018-nfl-scouting-combine-results-tracker/

This was all I could find and I don't know this person at all but he is saying he had him at 1.6: https://twitter.com/lifesyourcup/status/969970278678720512

Again I don't know that person who tweeted that in the least but I did read through their twitter feed and seemed to know what they are saying.  Was good research for me if nothing else because I had no idea that Kerryon Johnson had run his 40 till I read that guys twitter feed.

I tried to watch video of some players and obtain their 10 yard split times but I was wildly inaccurate on all of them.  Almost all times I see posted for players they look to be in more the 8- 9 yard range, the step before hitting the 10 yard line. Big fail for me basically.

This was all I could find and I don't know this person at all but he is saying he had him at 1.6: https://twitter.com/lifesyourcup/status/969970278678720512

Again I don't know that person who tweeted that in the least but I did read through their twitter feed and seemed to know what they are saying.  Was good research for me if nothing else because I had no idea that Kerryon Johnson had run his 40 till I read that guys twitter feed.

I tried to watch video of some players and obtain their 10 yard split times but I was wildly inaccurate on all of them.  Almost all times I see posted for players they look to be in more the 8- 9 yard range, the step before hitting the 10 yard line. Big fail for me basically.
That would be extremely slow. Like a best case scenario 4.55-4.60 40

According to http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/40yarddashassessment1.html That would be an awful 40 time of 4.7 or worse.  And we know he ran faster than that, with him being a little gimpy.  

According to http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/40yarddashassessment1.html That would be an awful 40 time of 4.7 or worse.  And we know he ran faster than that, with him being a little gimpy.  

That would be extremely slow. Like a best case scenario 4.55-4.60 40
No disprespect but I've looked at 10 yard split times vs 40 times of some of last year's RB class and can't say I agree with these assessments. 

Gallman was one that timed exactly at 1.6 and he ran a 4.57 40. Can likely find several examples that support the 4.55-46 range or higher so for sure can find a lot of examples that would support these numbers.

On the other hand at his pro day Foreman was 1.63 in 10 yard with a 4.46 40. Fournette and Dalvin were both really close with each at 1.59 and they ran the 40 in 4.49 and 4.51.

If the 10 yard split had a direct correlation to the 40 I'd not care about it but for me it's one of the big numbers I look at with RB's, along with the slightly less key 20 yard split. It's more a measure of how fast a player accelerates to me and that's critical because RB's make most of their living inside those first 10-20 yards.

Either way good chance his hamstring was bothering him so can't really put much into anything he ran.

I have no idea the correlation between the 10 yard split and 40 but I completely agree with you.  It measures the explosiveness off the line for the first 10 yards and the more explosive you can be, it makes sense that you'd run a faster 40.  I just found that little explanation to be intriguing because they talk about the ideal technique in comparison to the 40 and that it would be slower if it wasn't technically sound.  No clue how accurate their numbers are for the ranges they use.  

Users who are viewing this thread