What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (1 Viewer)

At the end of the day, this is the tragedy of the KC backfield.

The Jonathan Taylor-D'Andre Swiftless backfield? The consensus top two guys who Kansas City just out-thought themselves to skip over in the draft? Yeah, it is a tragedy. Especially when I had the gosh darn 1.01 and it would have been slam dunk easy to take either that year if either had wound up in KC. Ay de mi.

Chiefs RB Ronald Jones has asked for his release.​

Signed to a one-year, $1.5 million deal this offseason, Jones has spent the year as a healthy inactive behind Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Isiah Pacheco and Jerick McKinnon. Jones is blocked in Kansas City but would likely find his way on a gameday roster if granted his release.
SOURCE: Ronald Jones on Twitter
Oct 29, 2022, 9:20 AM ET

He might want to be released. Makes sense since he’s not playing and signed an incentive laden contract.

But considering how many athletes like to send out cryptic tweets if I was Rotoworld I'd have probably held off on running with someone tweeting out late on a Friday they want a RELEASE as confirmation they want to be cut.

It’s official. He’s the backup to Pollard in DAL.

I was so looking forward to dropping him this off-season, too. 🥹

sigh

Cowboys signed Ronald Jones, formerly of the Chiefs, to a one-year contract.​

Jones played in just six games last season, finishing with a 17/70/1 rushing line that he achieved almost entirely in Week 18 against the Raiders. At this point it's hard to understand if he'd be behind Malik Davis in the pecking order, but he's a clear Tony Pollard backup either way and probably only carries fantasy value as injury insurance for Pollard. Unbelievably, Jones will not turn 26 until August.

I was so looking forward to dropping him this off-season, too.
There's still plenty of opportunities for him to drop to third (or fourth) on the depth chart. I mean he's been beaten out by a washed Fournette, a 31 year old journeyman, and a 7th round rookie in his last few stints.

There's still plenty of opportunities for him to drop to third (or fourth) on the depth chart. I mean he's been beaten out by a washed Fournette, a 31 year old journeyman, and a 7th round rookie in his last few stints.
Counter arguments.

Fournette was not washed yet when he beat him out. During that last season with Tampa at the trade deadline the Ravens, per their beat writer with The Athletic, made what they felt was a competitive offer for him but Tampa elected to keep him.

That 7th round pick looks like he slipped through the cracks, not a star but sure would be drafted way higher if they had a do over. At a point during the season ROJO expressed his frustrations on twitter and apparently asked for his release. Andy Reid addressed it a few days later and said he was not going anywhere, said something about he liked what he had seen from ROJO in practice and he ended up being active for the SB.

It sure has not been great for him on the field but Tampa declined a trade, Baltimore wanted him and KC would not let him go. That 2 of those 3 teams had him on the roster and did not want to give up on him is a solid sign as well as another team wanting to give up something for him.

I have zero percent investment in ROJO and have no plans to invest in him so from a fantasy angle I'm out. But I think he's got wide range of outcomes this year ranging backup to not making the team. My guess is he'll fall somewhere in between, as in I got him making the team but not being the primary backup. Key might if they end up bringing back Elliot, if that happens he's likely inactive or getting cut.

Counter arguments.

Fournette was not washed yet when he beat him out. During that last season with Tampa at the trade deadline the Ravens, per their beat writer with The Athletic, made what they felt was a competitive offer for him but Tampa elected to keep him.

That 7th round pick looks like he slipped through the cracks, not a star but sure would be drafted way higher if they had a do over. At a point during the season ROJO expressed his frustrations on twitter and apparently asked for his release. Andy Reid addressed it a few days later and said he was not going anywhere, said something about he liked what he had seen from ROJO in practice and he ended up being active for the SB.

It sure has not been great for him on the field but Tampa declined a trade, Baltimore wanted him and KC would not let him go. That 2 of those 3 teams had him on the roster and did not want to give up on him is a solid sign as well as another team wanting to give up something for him.

I have zero percent investment in ROJO and have no plans to invest in him so from a fantasy angle I'm out. But I think he's got wide range of outcomes this year ranging backup to not making the team. My guess is he'll fall somewhere in between, as in I got him making the team but not being the primary backup. Key might if they end up bringing back Elliot, if that happens he's likely inactive or getting cut.

Nevertheless...it's been years since he's offered anything to an NFL team or us fantasy players. I doubt that changes. It seems you ultimately agree with that since you have him as a third string/gameday inactive.

It seems you ultimately agree with that since you have him as a third string/gameday inactive.
The bolded is what I consider my most likely guess, but please don't omit the part where I said his range could include winning the backup job. If he does, I'd consider him fantasy roster worthy but right now he's not someone I'm interested in for fantasy.

For his sake I hope he has a better conditioning plan. He looked huge and lacking explosion last year. I don't know what his training plan was but he's one of those track guys and it looks like he focused to hard on gaining size. He lives in the Dallas area and one of the top training sites for draft prospects is in the area. He should go there and get retrained of off whatever crappy plan he was on last year because even when he lost the job in Tampa it was not due to lacking explosion, he was just a slopfest in the passing game.

Nevertheless...it's been years since he's offered anything to an NFL team or us fantasy players. I doubt that changes. It seems you ultimately agree with that since you have him as a third string/gameday inactive.
He could offer me a roster spot just by doing the same thing he’s been doing. It would be among his greatest contributions to my team since I drafted him in our start-up.
:whistle:

The bolded is what I consider my most likely guess, but please don't omit the part where I said his range could include winning the backup job.
I wasn’t trying to misquote you, sorry. I thought it was implied I was referring to your best guess - and obviously all of the rest of that is possible. I’m a bit hyperbolic with him because I was a “hater” from day one. He just always looked so undisciplined and awkward to me. He also ran in a way I figured he’d get hurt a lot, which hasn’t necessarily been the case, but then again it’s hard to get hurt when inactive.

Same old same old in my opinion. Jones is good enough to make the roster, and not good enough to make a major contribution. He could end up being the #2, so could Malik Davis, so could a rookie. That said, this isn't a bad landing spot. I'd rather have Jones at his price than Zeke at his.

I don’t think it’s a particularly bold take.. Dallas wants to run.
Pollard is not a between the tackles guy.
Rojo is but is likely merely an insurance policy against the draft not delivering one. Zeke is a good fit for Dallas if not for salary and injury/ age.

Cowboys RB Ronald Jones has been suspended for two games for violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Where do we start? Jones rushed 17 times for 70 yards and one touchdown last season with the Chiefs, with the majority of his work coming in a meaningless Week 18 game against the Raiders. Jones joined the Cowboys on a one-year, $1.23 million deal earlier this offseason and is competing for the right to play RB2 behind Tony Pollard. Jones is listed behind several players on the Cowboys’ unofficial depth chart and could face an uphill battle to make the roster with this suspension. RoJo truther and former Rotoworlder Pat Kerrane was unable to be reached for comment due to poor cell phone reception on his yacht.

Cowboys RB Ronald Jones has been suspended for two games for violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Where do we start? Jones rushed 17 times for 70 yards and one touchdown last season with the Chiefs, with the majority of his work coming in a meaningless Week 18 game against the Raiders. Jones joined the Cowboys on a one-year, $1.23 million deal earlier this offseason and is competing for the right to play RB2 behind Tony Pollard. Jones is listed behind several players on the Cowboys’ unofficial depth chart and could face an uphill battle to make the roster with this suspension. RoJo truther and former Rotoworlder Pat Kerrane was unable to be reached for comment due to poor cell phone reception on his yacht.
That’s not a great look for whatever performance enhancing substance he’s been using if Jones is the result.

I may just cut this bum. What a disaster of a #3 pick. Should have gone with my gut and picked Royce Freeman.
2018 was a different time.

My fav threads this time of year are the flashback threads because every single thread on the front page has a couple of people arguing that they are the next HUGE thing destined for greatness when we all know most of us are wrong most of the time

I may just cut this bum. What a disaster of a #3 pick. Should have gone with my gut and picked Royce Freeman.
2018 was a different time.

My fav threads this time of year are the flashback threads because every single thread on the front page has a couple of people arguing that they are the next HUGE thing destined for greatness when we all know most of us are wrong most of the time
Prediction for this years? I'm going Richardson. If only just because saying it will inevitably make some people very upset lol.

Users who are viewing this thread