What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (1 Viewer)

I hope they get Duke Johnson. Dude deserves a shot at starting somewhere. I like Ronald Jones a little bit, but not as much as I like Duke. They would be a good combo, and then throw in Peyton Barber and you got a solid trio.

Disagree here, he's a sunk cost at this point if you drafted him high.  If you own him you just ride it out, if he makes something of himself then great your patience paid off, if he continues on his current trajectory you cut bait after this year.  The amount you'd get for him from a "blip" isn't worth it.
I see your point for sure. In my dynos there always over pay for RBS.  A late first or even second wouldnt take much of a "blip" for playoff teams needing rb help around here. To me that's enough of a sell high. I'm not sure what you would consider being a sell high trade for him. But hes gone if I can get a second for him.

RONALD JONES RB, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

Speaking Tuesday, Bucs coach Bruce Arians said he expects a "good battle" between Ronald Jones and Peyton Barber to be the team's starting running back.

Arians' comments were peppered with praise for Jones. The Bucs media has been giving Barber the upper hand, but no-filter Arians keeps complimenting Jones. 25-year-old Barber has proven himself to be a textbook grinder. Second-rounder Jones, at least in theory, still has untapped upside. "He's an explosive player," Arians said. "He's going to make big plays like that for us." For what it's worth, Arians also said Tuesday that regardless of who earns No. 1 duties, both players will get touches.

RELATED: 

Peyton Barber

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter

Jul 30, 2019, 6:38 PM ET

I’m on board. Bruce Arians is an offensive genius and he’s been praising the kid.

It’s telling to me that they didn’t bring in a back to compete. Jones knows this year is all or nothing.

If you can succeed in a Bruce Arians lead offense, you never had it.

It's good to see Jones & Ellington getting the hype.  That way Barber will continue to be undervalued.

It's good to see Jones & Ellington getting the hype.  That way Barber will continue to be undervalued.
Good luck with Barber. He’s on my do not draft list. You can have him Round 12 if you want. I’ll take a 2nd kicker.

Barber started all 16 games last yielded 871 yards / 3.7 ypc and 6 touchdowns. Barber now has 397 career carries for 3.8 ypc. That’s not a guy I’m targeting. That’s Edgerinn James collecting a paycheck in Arizona bad.

With Jones I can justify him struggling with the playbook or not getting along with them team. Also the sample size is so small at 23 carries. That’s the equivalent of one bad game on a run heavy team.

Give me the unknown with upside over the known mediocre output.

Last edited by a moderator:
Used some of the recent good news on him to trade him to the guy with Barber for a (hopefully) high 2nd round rookie pick in 2020 (10 team league).  Fingers crossed I get the ~#12 out of it next year. 

Good luck with Barber. He’s on my do not draft list. You can have him Round 12 if you want. I’ll take a 2nd kicker.

Barber started all 16 games last yielded 871 yards / 3.7 ypc and 6 touchdowns. Barber now has 397 career carries for 3.8 ypc. That’s not a guy I’m targeting. That’s Edgerinn James collecting a paycheck in Arizona bad.

With Jones I can justify him struggling with the playbook or not getting along with them team. Also the sample size is so small at 23 carries. That’s the equivalent of one bad game on a run heavy team.

Give me the unknown with upside over the known mediocre output.
I've seen him go in the 8th in an FBG draft recently.

ETA nevermind I got this mixed up I saw him go in the early 9th in June. Same draft Jones went in the 7th by a different owner. Weird.

MMQB's Albert Breer reports the Bucs have worked on restoring Ronald Jones' confidence this offseason.

Jones has reportedly improved from last year's brutal rookie season, but he still has some work to do before leaping Peyton Barber on the depth chart. In the first preseason game, Barber saw more first-team snaps, though that could begin to flip if Jones begins to make plays. Bruce Arians said the plan is for both Jones and Barber to receive touches in 2019.

SOURCE: Albert Breer on Twitter

Aug 14, 2019, 2:42 PM ET

This is how I picture the Bucs making that pep talk to Jones:

"You’re good enough, you’re  smart enough, and doggone it, people like you."

Ronald Jones contributed seven yards on two carries in the Buccaneers’ second preseason game Friday against the Dolphins.

Jones wasn’t targeted in the passing game. He and backfield-mate Peyton Barber were only in on the opening drive as Dare Ogunbowale and Andre Ellington saw the bulk of Tampa Bay’s rushing work in Friday night's victory. Jones had one nice gain, breaking off a 10-yard burst, which he promptly followed up with a three-yard loss. Beat writers have spent the offseason fawning over the 2018 second-rounder’s rapid improvement, though that may be because he set the bar so low as a rookie. Inept in the passing game and unable to create yards for himself, Jones seems destined for a committee role alongside fourth-year plodder Peyton Barber.

Aug 16, 2019, 11:10 PM ET

ESPN's Jenna Laine reports Ronald Jones has been dealing with swelling in his knee this week.

Jones hasn't practiced since the Bucs' second preseason game. There's video of his left knee hyperextending perhaps on the opening kickoff against the Dolphins. He stayed in the game but managed just seven yards on two carries before seeing his night come to an end. The Bucs have been trying to prop up Jones this summer, but he's done nothing in the exhibition games to cause excitement. Dare Ogunbowale has run circles around Jones and is pushing for an increased role.

SOURCE: Jenna Laine on Twitter

Aug 20, 2019, 11:00 PM ET

Used some of the recent good news on him to trade him to the guy with Barber for a (hopefully) high 2nd round rookie pick in 2020 (10 team league).  Fingers crossed I get the ~#12 out of it next year. 
Same.  10 team keeper, the person that drafted Jones last year dropped him mid season.  I scooped him up.  Traded him and Corey Davis to that same owner for Stefon Diggs.

I think he may have avoided serious injury. He’s back at practice.  I reluctantly drafted him in the 9th or 10th rd in my 12 team standard league this year.  Very reluctantly.  But I feel like what other RBs can you name that go that late that will get 12+ touches guaranteed every week AND agave a chance to seize the lead RB job over the course of the season if they take advantage of their reps?  I’m not giving up yet.  I will hold through September and see what gives with him unless I hear he is badly injured or arians starts talking poorly about him.  

I think he may have avoided serious injury. He’s back at practice.  I reluctantly drafted him in the 9th or 10th rd in my 12 team standard league this year.  Very reluctantly.  But I feel like what other RBs can you name that go that late that will get 12+ touches guaranteed every week AND agave a chance to seize the lead RB job over the course of the season if they take advantage of their reps?  I’m not giving up yet.  I will hold through September and see what gives with him unless I hear he is badly injured or arians starts talking poorly about him.  
I'm not a Jones fan at all, but taking him that late is not a bad move because Peyton Barber is not exactly prime Adrian Peterson - but I do disagree with the bolded. There is absolutely no guarantee that he even gets half of those touches every week. If he continues down last year's path he may be inactive most weeks.

I'm not a Jones fan at all, but taking him that late is not a bad move because Peyton Barber is not exactly prime Adrian Peterson - but I do disagree with the bolded. There is absolutely no guarantee that he even gets half of those touches every week. If he continues down last year's path he may be inactive most weeks.
I think he was overwhelmed last year. Early this preseason he was looking very good. 

I happily spent a small amount on him in the auction ($10/500) - partly because Jones was much better in college than he showed last season, and partly because Peyton Barber is exactly as crappy as he showed last season.

if Jones did indeed dodge a bullet here, i can’t see Barber holding on to the starting job all season. He’s just not good at football. 

I think he was overwhelmed last year. Early this preseason he was looking very good. 

I happily spent a small amount on him in the auction ($10/500) - partly because Jones was much better in college than he showed last season, and partly because Peyton Barber is exactly as crappy as he showed last season.

if Jones did indeed dodge a bullet here, i can’t see Barber holding on to the starting job all season. He’s just not good at football. 
Agree 100% with all you've said.

The cost to draft/acquire RoJo vs. the potential pay-off is huge.

People are too quick to write him off based on last year and that's still the narrative around him right now as you can see by the recent comments above.

Let's give the kid another year of football.

From some things I have read, he may have had some issues with being motivated or something like that. Like 'Im R. Jones the 2nd', i'm great already. I should just be given the job.' Not sure if he has come to the understanding that in order to be the man, you do have to work your ### off in the NFL at all times.

Ronald Jones (knee) returned to practice this week after injuring his knee in the second preseason game.

Jones appeared to injure his left knee on the opening kickoff against the Dolphins but stayed in the game. He experienced some swelling the next couple days but quickly managed it. Jones is expected to play Friday night against the Browns as he competes with Peyton Barber for playing time.

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter

Aug 23, 2019, 12:07 PM ET

I have a hard time seeing him going from knee swelling to tearing it up in week 3 of the pre-season.  There was a time I thought he was a buy low.  The ship is on fire.  Save what you can and get off. 

According to ESPN's Jenna Laine, Ronald Jones has "had some busts" in blitz pickups this summer and is still working to improve his route running.

Jones was the talk of OTAs with many predicting he'd make a run at the starting job, though the hype has died down considerably this summer. The second-round sophomore is still working back from a hyperextended knee he suffered in last week's preseason tilt against Miami, a game where he totaled just seven yards on two carries. RBs coach Todd McNair worked extensively with Jones to improve his receiving technique this offseason after noticing he was using "odd angles with his hands." Despite making noticeable strides this summer, Jones remains very much a work in progress. Laine expects Jones and teammate Peyton Barber to both play "significant roles on Sundays," though the incumbent Barber is a better bet for fantasy relevance.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Aug 23, 2019, 3:46 PM ET

Time to get on board. Running hard and looking huge. The team will address the lack of an NFL QB which will help since everything else is in place.

I wasn't a believer before, and I'm not after 1 game.  I'd be tempted to shop him and see what I could get, but I doubt it's much.

I wasn't a believer before, and I'm not after 1 game.  I'd be tempted to shop him and see what I could get, but I doubt it's much.
Nope.  If you want to sell you have to wait until he fully takes over that job, Arians confirms it and he had a breakout game.  But at that point, why sell unless you’re getting a King’s  ransom?  He could end up being a league winner if things fall right for him.  

Nope.  If you want to seek you have to wait until he fully takes over that job, Arians confirms it and he had a breakout game.  But at that point, why sell unless you’re getting a King’s  ransom?  He could end up being a league winner if things fall right for him.  
I have a hard time seeing it. 

He's shown some flashes, sure.  But there's a ton of negatives.  The fact that you're sitting here posting he could be a league winner highlights the need to sell. 

People will often see week 1 results, and "realize they got it wrong."  I think you dangle the carrot for a decent receiver or a running back who disappointed. 

I think if Ronald Jones was some elite talent, we'd know it by now.  And furthermore, the passing game is a train wreck.  Not sure how many TD's there will be to go around.

He's shown some flashes, sure.  But there's a ton of negatives.  The fact that you're sitting here posting he could be a league winner highlights the need to sell. 

People will often see week 1 results, and "realize they got it wrong."  I think you dangle the carrot for a decent receiver or a running back who disappointed. 

I think if Ronald Jones was some elite talent, we'd know it by now.  And furthermore, the passing game is a train wreck.  Not sure how many TD's there will be to go around.
I’m not saying I THINK he will be a league winner.  I’m saying there’s a scenario out there where it can happen.  If he wins the starting job and keeps running like he did yesterday, he can be.  

Im also not saying don’t sell him.  I’m just saying that he is trending up but it’s still early.  You’d be selling low if you sell now.   Wait until he has a breakout game and you hear arians say he’s the starter.  Then you will be able to get much more if you still don’t believe and want to sell.  I think that’s coming and likely coming in September.  Barber is nothing special and arians wants to crown Jones.  He just needed to see that type of explosiveness in game action. We all did.  

Funny you ignore Jones' week one performance as an anomaly, but then infer the passing game is a trainwreck at the same time.  Game speed timing with WRs and TEs takes time.  Just ask Baker Mayfield, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger, Cam Newton, .....

Funny you ignore Jones' week one performance as an anomaly, but then infer the passing game is a trainwreck at the same time.  Game speed timing with WRs and TEs takes time.  Just ask Baker Mayfield, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger, Cam Newton, .....
I mean, how many weeks of Jameis turning over the football do you need to see to believe he's going to throw a ton of INT's?

I mean, how many weeks of Jameis turning over the football do you need to see to believe he's going to throw a ton of INT's?
Jameis throwing INT's is different than the entire passing game being a train-wreck.  Typically, that passing game is lethal in spite of the turnovers.  It looked to me like he wasn't quite fully comfortable in a new offense and his #1 WR was puking on the sidelines.  If you think that's how they'll look all year more power to you.

You can ignore Ronald Jones all you like, but he carved out a much bigger role for himself with his performance yesterday.  Peyton Barber looked noticeably slower by comparison.

Jameis throwing INT's is different than the entire passing game being a train-wreck.  Typically, that passing game is lethal in spite of the turnovers.  It looked to me like he wasn't quite fully comfortable in a new offense and his #1 WR was puking on the sidelines.  If you think that's how they'll look all year more power to you.

You can ignore Ronald Jones all you like, but he carved out a much bigger role for himself with his performance yesterday.  Peyton Barber looked noticeably slower by comparison.
I'm not ignoring him.  I'm trusting 18 months of information over 1 performance.  He may start.  I have hard time believing he couldn't pass Barber on the depth chart, and yesterday just flipped the switch.  The O-line isn't great in run blocking.  Winston will throw the ball away a lot. 

Right now, there's some shmuck out there that thinks he's going to run for 1,000 yards and they're sad they didn't draft him.  The reality isn't that.  If you can flip Jones for someone you were drafting higher than him--that's the play.

Users who are viewing this thread