What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (1 Viewer)

Okay.. I didn't realize using my last bench spot on a fluid rb situation is bad but thanks for the insight.

Okay.. I didn't realize using my last bench spot on a fluid rb situation is bad but thanks for the insight.
Barber isn’t good, but Jones is worse. With that said I see no problem with holding and hoping. It’s not like he’s stuck behind Prime Adrian Peterson.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a good example of why you shouldn't get emotionally invested in any particular fantasy football player.

Looked good week 1, coach said he wanted to get him more carries, but didn't get a chance to adjust due to short week. Expect that bump in carries to come this week. But yeah, the smart thing is to write off a RB after his injury plagued first season. He's real cheap right now, seems like stash and wait is easily the smart call

Looked good week 1, coach said he wanted to get him more carries, but didn't get a chance to adjust due to short week. Expect that bump in carries to come this week. But yeah, the smart thing is to write off a RB after his injury plagued first season. He's real cheap right now, seems like stash and wait is easily the smart call
Had a spot open up today due to Alshon being ruled out and taking a flier on Jones. I like these games within the game... it’s what makes fantasy football interesting.

Barber isn’t good, but Jones is worse. With that said I see no problem with holding and hoping. It’s not like he’s stuck behind Prime Adrian Peterson.
Not true at all, he is just in a horrible situation.  If they actually fed him the ball he would be a top back.  Dude is like MG, has HOF feet no blocking. If he was playing behind Gurleys  Ol he would have 2000 yards. 

Ronald Jones rushed 14 times for 80 yards, catching his only target for 41 receiving yards in Tampa Bay's Week 3 loss to the Giants.

Jones was the superior runner in Tampa Bay's backfield on Sunday, totaling 121 yards and 5.7 YPC on as many touches as Peyton Barber (13/48). It's the second time Jones has out-performed Barber in three opportunities despite stubbornly sticking as team's backup, highlighted by his 41-yard screen play out the gates. At this rate, it's only a matter of time until the second-year pro is named Tampa Bay's starter. There's still a chance he plays second fiddle in Week 4, making him a RB3/FLEX option against the Rams at this time.

Sep 22, 2019, 9:03 PM ET

This is going to be a see-saw between Jones and Barber all year long.

Jones has value as a back who will have a floor of carries, but Barber will continue to cap his value, and vice versa.

The hope is that Jones runs away with the job, but I think we see the approach we'll see -- split carries.

This is going to be a see-saw between Jones and Barber all year long.

Jones has value as a back who will have a floor of carries, but Barber will continue to cap his value, and vice versa.

The hope is that Jones runs away with the job, but I think we see the approach we'll see -- split carries.
If they continue to be separated by well over a yard per carry, I don't think that status quo will remain.

13+ points on my bench today. Looks like he had a better YPC than “started” Barber on the same # of carries.

so is he good again? Or is he still terrible? 

I guess we’ll have to wait tp find our! 

meanwhile I’ve got some BYEs coming up & RoJo is feeling pretty BYE-worthy 

Congrats to those that sold high on Jones after week 1 and sold high on Barber after week 2 because after this week, it's become clear to everyone that this a full blown unpredictable RBBC situation and neither guy is more than a RB3/RB4 in 12 team leagues. 

I thought $9/500 was a good investment in dynasty. Others here disagreed.  :shrug:

Congrats to those that sold high on Jones after week 1 and sold high on Barber after week 2 because after this week, it's become clear to everyone that this a full blown unpredictable RBBC situation and neither guy is more than a RB3/RB4 in 12 team leagues. 
You say “RB3” like that’s not valuable. 

When in fact most of us are thrilled if he a RB3. That’s BYE week/flex value right there.

IMO Jones will continue to force his way to more work - I just watched the game. He looked aignificantly better than Barber. Low bar, I realize. 

I think you’re a little premature declaring this situation settled. 

We’ve all got our takes though. 

You say “RB3” like that’s not valuable. 

When in fact most of us are thrilled if he a RB3. That’s BYE week/flex value right there.

IMO Jones will continue to force his way to more work - I just watched the game. He looked aignificantly better than Barber. Low bar, I realize. 

I think you’re a little premature declaring this situation settled. 

We’ve all got our takes though. 
Sure there's value for bye week coverage, but it doesn't move the needle much if you want to win your leagues. In standard size 12 team redraft leagues, you can usually find a RB on the waiver wire who can give you some respectable points for bye week coverage, especially when some owners might drop as bench RB to cover bye weeks at other positions like QB/TE.

Also, keep in mind that if this RBBC continues, you'll have to guess which which week one of these guys will have the better numbers to really get true RB3 value, if you're just chasing points then so far you've actually had a rough season since Barber was named starter in week 1 and disappointed, Jones laid an egg in week 2after a nice week 1, and now Barber this week had a very pedestrian stat line after looking like the lead back in week 2. 

They won't be playing the Giants every week so I'm expecting significantly less than 130 rushing yards from that duo most weeks. If some believe Jones has a solid shot at taking over as lead back then he's definitely a strong buy/hold for you guys. 

Part of winning your league means high ceiling BYE week coverage. 

Jones should be able to cover that. 

I’m less optimistic about Barber 
On a "good Jones" day, he's an excellent bye week fill in. On a "bad Jones" day, he's a dud. That's why RB3 is more his ceiling, not his expected return on any given week. If you use him to cover a bye, you're hoping it's a good week. He's probably among the best options if you're looking for upside, but his higher ceiling comes with a low floor right now imo.

None of my leagues have rbs on the waiver who can go for 100+ yards 

This is still to early to call.  Rojo impressed in week 1. Arians planned to give him more touches in week 2 but he hurt his toe after an impressive 12 yard carry and was held out for the rest of the game. Week 3 he again impressed and outplayed Barber. Arians is not an idiot. Over the next few games if this continues Barber May remain the starter but Jones will get more touches and be the more valuable back.  The packers are using an RBBC but everyone is going to start Aaron Jones even if he’s getting 12-15 touches. I view this as a similar situation rt now.  Jones is like Aaron jones.  And Barber is like the Jamaal Williams.  Had jones scored yesterday he’d be the #1 ww target this week.  Yet again after he was in week 1 and then he was dropped by a gazillion teams after his bad week 2. 

This is still to early to call.  Rojo impressed in week 1. Arians planned to give him more touches in week 2 but he hurt his toe after an impressive 12 yard carry and was held out for the rest of the game. Week 3 he again impressed and outplayed Barber. Arians is not an idiot. Over the next few games if this continues Barber May remain the starter but Jones will get more touches and be the more valuable back.  The packers are using an RBBC but everyone is going to start Aaron Jones even if he’s getting 12-15 touches. I view this as a similar situation rt now.  Jones is like Aaron jones.  And Barber is like the Jamaal Williams.  Had barber scored yesterday he’d be the #1 ww target this week.  Yet again after he was in week 1 and then he was dropped by a gazillion teams after his bad week 2. 
This is the post everyone should be reading right now.

Not true at all, he is just in a horrible situation.  If they actually fed him the ball he would be a top back.  Dude is like MG, has HOF feet no blocking. If he was playing behind Gurleys  Ol he would have 2000 yards. 
My opinion is not true?

I see nothing special at all about him. Admittedly, bulking up this offseason has actually helped him because he was slow and not shifty anyway. He runs straight ahead at full speed as soon as he gets the ball, and for some reason tries to jump over people even when it's not in the open field. I can't see him being a top back anywhere except for maybe Dallas where he could run through gaping holes.

On a "good Jones" day, he's an excellent bye week fill in. On a "bad Jones" day, he's a dud. That's why RB3 is more his ceiling, not his expected return on any given week. If you use him to cover a bye, you're hoping it's a good week. He's probably among the best options if you're looking for upside, but his higher ceiling comes with a low floor right now imo.
The same can be said about any RB. 

Chris Carson was expected to have a monster day by everyone. He had 4.9 points. Todd Gurley had like 7 points yesterday. 

And like all RBs, it’s about touches. As long as Jones keeps himself in the 10-14 touch range, he’s BYE-worthy. 

And considering he looked much better than Barber for the 2nd time this year, I wouldn’t be surprised to see his snap count rise at Barber’s expense. 

My opinion is not true?

I see nothing special at all about him. Admittedly, bulking up this offseason has actually helped him because he was slow and not shifty anyway. He runs straight ahead at full speed as soon as he gets the ball, and for some reason tries to jump over people even when it's not in the open field. I can't see him being a top back anywhere except for maybe Dallas where he could run through gaping holes.
He looked pretty special on his 40+ yard reception. He looked kinda quick, too. 

Hes also now averaging 5.3 YPC, which seems pretty solid.  :shrug:

He looked pretty special on his 40+ yard reception. He looked kinda quick, too. 

Hes also now averaging 5.3 YPC, which seems pretty solid.  :shrug:
I know what I see on the field (I did miss the reception but watched almost the entire game). He's a straight ahead runner that gets a decent head of steam when he has space - and does run stronger than last season. I would worry about injuries with him since he's tall for a RB (6'1"?) and runs recklessly - not sure why he tries to jump guys in a pile, but he did it often.

Is he better than Barber? Maybe but that's a pretty low bar. I will say if I was the Bucs I'd give him more carries than Barber because he at least has a chance to develop while Barber is a backup level talent. 

Sure there's value for bye week coverage, but it doesn't move the needle much if you want to win your leagues. In standard size 12 team redraft leagues, you can usually find a RB on the waiver wire who can give you some respectable points for bye week coverage, especially when some owners might drop as bench RB to cover bye weeks at other positions like QB/TE.

Also, keep in mind that if this RBBC continues, you'll have to guess which which week one of these guys will have the better numbers to really get true RB3 value, if you're just chasing points then so far you've actually had a rough season since Barber was named starter in week 1 and disappointed, Jones laid an egg in week 2after a nice week 1, and now Barber this week had a very pedestrian stat line after looking like the lead back in week 2. 

They won't be playing the Giants every week so I'm expecting significantly less than 130 rushing yards from that duo most weeks. If some believe Jones has a solid shot at taking over as lead back then he's definitely a strong buy/hold for you guys. 
Jones tweaked his ankle in week 2 after a 12 yard gain and limped to the sideline. Context helps.

I know what I see on the field (I did miss the reception but watched almost the entire game). He's a straight ahead runner that gets a decent head of steam when he has space - and does run stronger than last season. I would worry about injuries with him since he's tall for a RB (6'1"?) and runs recklessly - not sure why he tries to jump guys in a pile, but he did it often.
I think he looks a lot like he did in college. 

Is he better than Barber? Maybe but that's a pretty low bar..
I said the same above. 

I will say if I was the Bucs I'd give him more carries than Barber because he at least has a chance to develop while Barber is a backup level talent. 
That’s what many have said over the course of this topic. 

No one’s calling him the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders. But he can be productive. 

My opinion is not true?

He has vision and speed, and good feet what he doesn't have is a coach who will actually use him.  He has less than 60 carries for his entire career.  So kind of foolish to write him off, when anytime he has over 10 carries he averages more than 5.5 yards/carry.  

Yes this is complete hyperbole but I’m going to type it anyway as food for thought...

Joe Mixon

32 rushes for 88 yards (2.8ypc)

7 receptions for 51 yards, 1TD

Ronald Jones

31 rushes for 164 yards (5.3ypc)

2 receptions for 59 yards, 0TD

Both are young and play behind horrible O-lines. One guy is considered a #1 RB and the other is barely flex-worthy.

Is he better than Barber? Maybe but that's a pretty low bar. I will say if I was the Bucs I'd give him more carries than Barber because he at least has a chance to develop while Barber is a backup level talent. 
I've mentioned this before, but RoJo has some nice headroom left because he's essentially not even using his superior hip flexibility (like in college). It's almost like the Bucs told him to be a tougher runner or something & he's concentrating on that.

If RoJo can incorporate his natural escapability traits back into his game with what he's shown so far, his ceiling will go way up. That's the enticing part as an owner or if you're interested in acquiring him.

This is still to early to call.  Rojo impressed in week 1. Arians planned to give him more touches in week 2 but he hurt his toe after an impressive 12 yard carry and was held out for the rest of the game. Week 3 he again impressed and outplayed Barber. Arians is not an idiot. Over the next few games if this continues Barber May remain the starter but Jones will get more touches and be the more valuable back.  The packers are using an RBBC but everyone is going to start Aaron Jones even if he’s getting 12-15 touches. I view this as a similar situation rt now.  Jones is like Aaron jones.  And Barber is like the Jamaal Williams.  Had jones scored yesterday he’d be the #1 ww target this week.  Yet again after he was in week 1 and then he was dropped by a gazillion teams after his bad week 2. 
Aaron Jones looks like he will get 12-15 touches AND the goal line opportunities which is an important distinction. 

I honestly don't know if RoJo being used inside the five.

Aaron Jones looks like he will get 12-15 touches AND the goal line opportunities which is an important distinction. 

I honestly don't know if RoJo being used inside the five.
fair enough...but as I was saying in the post you quoted:  it's still to early to judge how this will all fall out.  IF I had to bet, I'd say Rojo is the starter and getting most of the work by midseason barring injury.  but it's anyone's guess...

Per Rotoworld

Ronald Jones rushed 19 times for 70 yards and one touchdown in the Bucs' Week 4 win over the Rams.

He added a 12-yard catch and dominated backfield touches 20-9 over Peyton Barber. Dare Ogunbowale pitched in four touches, but Jones was the star of this backfield in his return to the L.A. Coliseum after playing college ball for USC. Jones could have had an even bigger day but had multiple long runs called back on penalties. Jones has 35 targets the last two weeks and is settling in as an RB3 with some upside if the Tampa offense starts firing on all cylinders like today. Jones will be start-able next week at the Saints.

Users who are viewing this thread