What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Saquon Barkley, PHI (2 Viewers)

Sometimes I wish my redraft leagues drafted earlier. To me, it has sounded like Barkley was going to be ready week 1 for awhile. I'm guessing once he starts practicing it's going to be more commonly expected he'll be ready, and the ADP won't be nearly as nice. 

I keep saying, don’t believe the blurbs, watch for practicing. 

If Barkley is practicing in full soon, I’m taking him in the late 1st round. 

pundits have started to change their tune from “he may not have a big workload” to “his team isn’t very good”.

I see Jones as better than his 1st season, and the team has better weapons now, too. If Barkley is healthy he’s going to be a steal anywhere past 1.07. 

ETA his ADP is still around 2.11, so late 2nd he's a potential bargain. But I need to see him play, read that he's cutting, etc. If he's still gonna miss games, everything above is moot. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news to hear for me, sitting at the 8 pick in my main league which is non-ppr. 
Even better if it was PPR.

Suggestion: You should put it up to vote to get .5 PPR installed as a "trial" - "hey, if you don't like it, we can change it back next year" sorta thing. 

That's how I convinced my old redraft league to eventually get to full PPR. They loved .5 & unanimously voted in full the next season. But I digress.   :)  

Even better if it was PPR.

Suggestion: You should put it up to vote to get .5 PPR installed as a "trial" - "hey, if you don't like it, we can change it back next year" sorta thing. 

That's how I convinced my old redraft league to eventually get to full PPR. They loved .5 & unanimously voted in full the next season. But I digress.   :)  
In PPR I would feel totally fine taking Adams or Tyreek at 8. In standard, I prefer to start with one of the following: CMC, Cook, Henry, Kamara, Zeke, Jones, Chubb and now Saquon that he’s practicing. Also I like standard. It’s the only league really left that uses it so I feel it gives me a little edge since all fantasy podcasts are really geared towards PPR. Plus I don’t get the logic of getting a point for a catch. I know it came into place in the days of the workhorse RB where 10-15 RBs would get 300+ carries and it was used to even the playing field for WRs. But now RBs are catching the ball a lot more so it just seems to create these super RBs like CMC and Lev Bell and Kamara. 

Also I like standard. It’s the only league really left that uses it so I feel it gives me a little edge since all fantasy podcasts are really geared towards PPR. Plus I don’t get the logic of getting a point for a catch.
it’s a fair take. We implemented it due to the QB evolution so more of the 2-way RBs could be viable as QB & WR values were making them a bit of an afterthought. It went along with our roster adding a flex position, so making guys like Bernard & James White rosterable was the point. 

But I get why folks would prefer non-PPR. I have a friend who wants the least amount of scoring possible. I’ll never understand it, but each to their own. I played in his league a couple seasons. Games were like 72-65. 

The IDP i commission has scores like 237-220 and it’s much more exciting, but that’s just my preference. 

/topic derail 

it’s a fair take. We implemented it due to the QB evolution so more of the 2-way RBs could be viable as QB & WR values were making them a bit of an afterthought. It went along with our roster adding a flex position, so making guys like Bernard & James White rosterable was the point. 

But I get why folks would prefer non-PPR. I have a friend who wants the least amount of scoring possible. I’ll never understand it, but each to their own. I played in his league a couple seasons. Games were like 72-65. 

The IDP i commission has scores like 237-220 and it’s much more exciting, but that’s just my preference. 

/topic derail 

/Derail further

Unfortunately we have PPR and some games still go down that low while others in the same week jump into the 200's. Had a game last year where one team scored 39. All the players were active and only 1 got hurt. Was just a ridiculous week.

/Underail

/Derail further

Unfortunately we have PPR and some games still go down that low while others in the same week jump into the 200's. Had a game last year where one team scored 39. All the players were active and only 1 got hurt. Was just a ridiculous week.

/Underail

re-derail

In my league (and Philadelphia, thank you Trading Places) that would be worth $50 for the AWB  aka "butt" whoopin bonus. 

/derail 

re-derail

In my league (and Philadelphia, thank you Trading Places) that would be worth $50 for the AWB  aka "butt" whoopin bonus. 

/derail 

Intriguing concept. Toilet bowl winner gets like $10 in our league at the end if they end up the best of the worst (tournament of non playoff teams).

Intriguing concept. Toilet bowl winner gets like $10 in our league at the end of they end up the best of the worst (tournament of non layoff teams).
We try to keep teams invested in winning, active on the wire, etc

So in-season prizes like the AWB, single-game high score, seasonal points total, etc are good incentives. 

We also have an 8-team loser-bowl. 

/re-derail

We try to keep teams invested in winning, active on the wire, etc

So in-season prizes like the AWB, single-game high score, seasonal points total, etc are good incentives. 

/re-derail
Yea we have weekly high score and seasonal single game high score. $10 each week and then $50 for the year. 

MAQB: What Saquon Barkley's Return To Practice Means For The Giants

Excerpt:

It’s great news that Saquon Barkley was out at Giants practice on Monday—and the idea from here for the team will be making sure he stays out there. I’m told New York has a very gradual re-acclimation plan for its star tailback. The coaches haven’t ruled out his participation in preseason games or joint practices with Browns and Patriots, but that’d have to be based on his progress, and would only be done to get him a little taste of game speed prior to the regular season (which implies, of course, that his work would be limited). Barkley himself said that his return to the field is a “small step” with bigger ones coming. But for the Giants, having their bell cow back is a boon, and it’s just one more element that should help them get a pretty clear read on where Daniel Jones stands in the quarterback’s third year as a pro.

Saquon Barkley took eight live reps on Thursday, his first since tearing his ACL last season.

ESPN's Jordan Raanan wrote that Barkley "looked natural" and that Barkley "felt good," despite hating the no-contact red jersey. Barkley's next big hurdle will be returning to full contact. He has impressed every step of the way in his recovery, and looks increasingly likely not just to suit up for Week 1, but to return to full form early in the season. Barkley's presence in the early second round of fantasy drafts is shaping up as a cheat code for drafters on the back half of the board. 

RELATED: 

Devontae Booker

SOURCE: Jordan Raanan on Twitter

Aug 26, 2021, 2:35 PM ET

I won't promise that it will happen in every draft, but I got Barkley in round 2 of my draft last night, and couldn't be happier about it. 

What is everyone who has shares feeling for Week 1?  I think he gets cleared for full go status and starts, gets about 45% of the snaps and handles about 18 touches (16 rushes/2 catches on 3 targets) for about 55 total yards and maybe a short TD. I think Booker/Brightwell will get about 10-12 touches between them but overall I'm not drinking the kool-aid for him week 1 for starting him.

I have a few other flexible line-up options and I will look hard at those for week 1 given the matchups, but Man its been a long wait for a player I got last off-season to be the foundation of my RB stable....😕

I think it's more smoke and mirrors than lingering injury/slow rolling.

If I was the NYG why would I announce Barkley is back? Not much else opposing defenses have to plan for, so if I can withhold that info for as long as possible, I would.

I think he starts, and possibly on a pitch count due to not playing in a while, but overall I think it's overblown fantasy panic.

Picking 12.1 tomorrow, and he's been there in every mock I've done.

I've always been a RB/RB guy...but he scares me here.

Barkley/Mixon/Gibson/Harris?   Carson maybe?

Edit:  I'm also gun-shy about him as I owned him last year.

he made it to 2.10 in my draft on Saturday, and I’m not sure much has changed since then.

Hes the ultimate risk/reward at 2.01 IMO. Bad OL, coming off an ACL, QB is a coin flip (many would argue worse), and some see Garrett as OC as a less than inspiring factor as well. 

Reward: Once he has his game legs back, he’s a potential top 3 overall talent/points if he’s healthy. Even if he is on a snap count game 1, or even 1 & 2, he’s a 3-down back who can take a swing pass to the house  

I’m a bit more risk averse with my first couple of picks. To me it comes down to who’s on the board at the time. If I can have Taylor/Gibson, or Taylor/Kelce that’s what i’m gonna do. 

But I wouldn’t fault anyone for taking Barkley 2.01

If he’d made it to 2.12 I might have taken him on Saturday. He’s just so good when he's 100%. While the Giants aren’t awesome in many aspects, they’re arguably better than when he had his monster 2018 season. 

he made it to 2.10 in my draft on Saturday, and I’m not sure much has changed since then.

Hes the ultimate risk/reward at 2.01 IMO. Bad OL, coming off an ACL, QB is a coin flip (many would argue worse), and some see Garrett as OC as a less than inspiring factor as well. 

Reward: Once he has his game legs back, he’s a potential top 3 overall talent/points if he’s healthy. Even if he is on a snap count game 1, or even 1 & 2, he’s a 3-down back who can take a swing pass to the house  

I’m a bit more risk averse with my first couple of picks. To me it comes down to who’s on the board at the time. If I can have Taylor/Gibson, or Taylor/Kelce that’s what i’m gonna do. 

If he’d made it to 2.12 I might have taken him on Saturday. He’s just so good when he's 100%. While the Giants aren’t awesome in many aspects, they’re arguably better than when he had his monster 2018 season. 
Thanks

I think I'll have another Rum/Coke and hit a couple more mocks.

The Athletic's Dan Duggan expects Saquon Barkley (knee) to be in the lineup but "not have a full workload" in Week 1 against the Broncos.

Barkley practiced in full pads for the first time this week. His status for Week 1 remains up in the air, with most signs pointing to Barkley playing the Giants' opener on a snap count. The Giants have moved Barkley slowly and are taking a long-term approach to his recovery, as a second knee injury could put his career in jeopardy. Barkley "might never return to playing 83 percent of snaps like he did in his first two seasons," according to Duggan. Devontae Booker will form a timeshare with Barkley if the Giants limit his Week 1 workload.

RELATED: 

Devontae Booker

SOURCE: The Athletic

Sep 4, 2021, 10:36 AM ET

Yes…over the next few days I will be drafting 10th (out of 10) in two leagues.

One league we will be keeping 2 players after this year (new league).  That league I am hoping people let him fall to me.  The other is just redraft and I am hoping someone grabs him and leaves me with more options.

Yes…over the next few days I will be drafting 10th (out of 10) in two leagues.

One league we will be keeping 2 players after this year (new league).  That league I am hoping people let him fall to me.  The other is just redraft and I am hoping someone grabs him and leaves me with more options.
In a keeper league he’s kind of a no-brainer that late. From what I’ve read, a year 2 return from ACL is almost always better than year 1.

So you might steal him this year & reap the benefits next. I love it. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Saquon Barkley (knee) is "close to being fully cleared."

Barkley was cleared for contact last week, one of the final steps in his rehab. The Giants plan to watch him through Thursday to see how he responds, but barring a setback, they expect him to play in Week 1. How much of a workload the Giants give Barkley remains to be seen, with reports he may be on a snap count in his first game action since Week 2 of last season. Devontae Booker seems likely to have a role behind Barkley against the Broncos.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Sep 6, 2021, 8:52 AM ET

Who did you take at 1.12 and 2.1?  I have the same spot in my draft tonight.

urbanhack said:
Who did you take at 1.12 and 2.1?  I have the same spot in my draft tonight.
Chubb and Mixon....could have gone Ekeler, in fact should have.  

Don't drink and draft

Giants RB Saquon Barkley (knee) is questionable for Week 1 against the Broncos.

Barkley was limited in practice Friday — as was Kenny Golladay (hamstring) and Kyle Rudolph (foot) — but should be available on Sunday as the team's poor charade of masking his status comes to a close. A mid/low-end RB1 due solely for the workload he'll receive, Sunday is still a nightmarish matchup on paper for New York and Jason Garrett's offense as a whole. Unfortunately, Barkley is still most likely managers' best player to start at that position.

Sep 10, 2021, 3:23 PM ET

Saquon Bakrley (knee) wouldn't say if he'll play Week 1 against the Broncos. 

Barkley, coming off last year's season-ending ACL tear, is reportedly "close to being fully cleared," according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, but neither Barkley nor New York coaches will confirm he'll suit up against Denver on Sunday. If he's active, fantasy managers should expect Barkley to be on a snap count, perhaps relegated to pass-catching duties while Devontae Booker takes on the lead back role. ESPN's Jordan Raanan said it would take a "setback" for Barkley to be inactive against Denver. Barkley's Week 1 status is the stuff of legendary heartburn for managers who drafted him in the first or second round. 

RELATED: 

Devontae Booker

SOURCE: Zack Blatt on Twitter 

Sep 10, 2021, 1:26 PM ET

Not feeling warm and fuzzy about Barkley this week.  Not a great matchup and the knee, but I suppose this is not a time to get cute.

NFL Week 1 fantasy football questions and answers: 32 reporters give advice on Julio Jones, Ravens running backs, more

Excerpt:

Over or under 17.5 touches for Saquon Barkley?

Under. That's a high number considering the way the Giants have handled the Barkley situation since the start. Joe Judge has been adamant about taking a long-range view with their star running back and mentioned Wednesday he can't possibly stress that enough. The Giants also have to be cognizant of playing two games in four days. A range of 10 to 15 touches seems more likely. -- Jordan Raanan

Not feeling warm and fuzzy about Barkley this week.  Not a great matchup and the knee, but I suppose this is not a time to get cute.
I'm sitting him for Raheem Mostert. That said, that has a lot to do with Mostert's matchup(Det) and isn't me just wanting to sit Barkley.

Feeling the same...have 2 other options but they just aren't the talent of Barkley (Gaskin and Ty'son)

I'm sitting him for Raheem Mostert. That said, that has a lot to do with Mostert's matchup(Det) and isn't me just wanting to sit Barkley.
Same boat here. Kind of hoping Barkley has a big-ish week so I can trade him at max value (inherited a keeper team and he was on it). I don't want to be on this ride with this NYG offense.

ESPN's Jordan Raanan reports Saquon Barkley (knee) has been medically cleared and will play Week 1 against the Broncos.

Barkley was listed questionable, but the expectation all along was that he would play against Denver. The question now is how much the Giants will allow him to play. In a tough matchup in Week 1's lousiest game on paper and with a questionable workload, Barkley should be considered a high-upside, low-floor RB2.

Sep 11, 2021, 10:18 PM ET

I'm in the I'd rather sit him than risk it boat. Fantasy life said he won't be on a pitch count but not sure how much I want to risk with that. I've got Gibson at start 1RB and  can start Hock (premium TE league) in my Flex in Barkley's place. 

If I didn't have those options I would prolly have gone with Barkley. 

I'd really like to see how he does this week and then go from there. 

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I'm going to start Najee Harris and Darrell Henderson and bench Barkley.  I think the Giants are going to get blown out early and I don't see more than 8-10 touches for Barkley.

It's the far more risky play to start him today.  If you need upside I get it but the odds of cashing in on that and a normal floor for him are low.  If G-Men get blown out from the get go like many expect then they should minimize reps to next to nothing to get him that extra rest since they have a quick turnaround for the Thurs night game next week

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Saquon Barkley (knee) "will be eased in and used sparingly" Week 1 against the Broncos.

We've heard these types of reports before where a player will have a reduced workload and then goes out there and racks up 20 touches, but signs have pointed to this for Barkley for months. While he's been medically cleared, the Giants aren't going to push Saquon as an every-snap player until he gets his legs back under him. We'd still expect Barkley to get the "money" touches if the Giants sniff the goal line Sunday. But with the workload concerns and the nature of this low-scoring, slow-paced game make Barkley a risky RB2. Devontae Booker is Barkley's backup.

RELATED: 

Devontae Booker

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 12, 2021, 8:49 AM ET

Saquon Barkley (knee) is active for Week 1 against the Broncos.

Barkley will be "eased in and used sparingly," according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. Kenny Golladay (hamstring) and Kadarius Toney are also active, with Kyle Rudolph expected to start in place of Evan Engram (out, calf). The Giants' inactives are WR Collin Johnson CB Josh Jackson, CB Sam Beal, LB Justin Hilliard, and LB Quincy Roche.

Sep 12, 2021, 3:10 PM ET

Saquon Barkley rushed 10 times for 26 yards and caught 1 pass for 1 yard in the Giants' Week 1 loss to the Broncos.

The good news is Barkley started, looked healthy, and played 47% of snaps in his first game in over a year. Devontae Booker had just four carries behind Barkley. The Giants didn't get anything going offensively in the second half, leading to a negative game script and fewer plays for Barkley. The plan was always to move Barkley slowly, but his workloads should increase as the season moves along.

I just don't understand the gameplan. They never design passes for him. Gamescript shouldn't affect him. I'm not worried about his health. He should be out there for 75% of the snaps soon.

Glad I benched him but the good news is he did look healthy, moved his lower body just fine. There will be better days :)

Users who are viewing this thread