What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Saquon Barkley, PHI (3 Viewers)

where is everyone on him this year?

I feel like he just solidifies my long held belief that you don't draft a rb high.  You take a top qb, a top ot or a top pass rusher otherwise you trade down.

where is everyone on him this year?

I feel like he just solidifies my long held belief that you don't draft a rb high.  You take a top qb, a top ot or a top pass rusher otherwise you trade down.
I assume you are talking the "real" draft and not fantasy.

I did trade 2 shares of him in my dynasty leagues over the last 6 months, but I'll be rooting for him big time. I hope he hasn't lost any of his speed or power. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Saquon Barkley (ACL) is on pace to start the 2021 season. 

By season's start, Barkley will have had about ten months to recover from the ACL injury he suffered in Week 2 against the Bears. He'll resume his role as the Giants' unquestioned workhorse back, with Devontae Booker giving Barkley a breather now and then. Barkley's fantasy floor should remain among the highest in fantasy thanks to his pass game involvement: Only three backs -- Christian McCaffrey, James White, and Alvin Kamara -- saw more targets than Barkley from 2018-2019. A mere five running backs had more receiving yards than Barkley during his first two seasons in the league. He'll once again be a no-brainer first round pick in all formats. 

RELATED: 

Devontae Booker

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Apr 28, 2021, 12:55 PM ET

Giants exercised the fifth-year option on Saquon Barkley's contract.

Despite injuries taking a toll on him over the past two seasons, Barkley remains one of the league's most valuable running backs. He topped 1,000 yards on the ground in each of his first two seasons and scored 17 rushing touchdowns in his first 29 games. Barkley also racked up 143 receptions for 1,159 receiving yards over that span. He missed 14 games due to a torn ACL last year but is set to return for Week 1 of the 2021 season. As long as he can stay healthy, Barkley's $7.2 million cap hit in 2022 is a manageable number for his caliber of talent, particularly as a receiver. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Apr 28, 2021, 5:41 PM ET

ESPN's Jordan Raanan reports the Giants could limit Saquon Barkley's snaps early in the season.

Barkley wasn't cleared for on-field work at OTAs but is working out at the team facility. The Giants plan to bring him along slowly, likely limiting him in the early stages of training camp. There's a chance Barkley, who had meniscus and MCL damage in addition to a torn ACL, could be held out or on a snap count the first few weeks of the regular season. The Giants added Devontae Booker, Corey Clement, and Ryquell Armstead as insurance if Barkley isn't ready for Week 1.

SOURCE: ESPN

May 30, 2021, 10:34 AM ET

How is the Giants OL?
The projected OL is young and inexperienced

LT – Andrew Thomas – 2nd year

LG – Shane Lemieux – 2nd year

C – Nick Gates – 4th but just his 2nd year at C

RG – Will Hernandez – 3rd year – 1st year at RG, previously LG

RT – Matt Peart – 2nd year

The projected OL is young and inexperienced

LT – Andrew Thomas – 2nd year

LG – Shane Lemieux – 2nd year

C – Nick Gates – 4th but just his 2nd year at C

RG – Will Hernandez – 3rd year – 1st year at RG, previously LG

RT – Matt Peart – 2nd year
They’ve invested a fair amount of capital in their line: 1st rnd (4th overall), 5th rnd, UDFA, 2nd rnd, 3rd rnd. BTW Hernandez is headed into his 4th year, last year on his rookie contract. Nate Solder hasn’t played RT since his rookie year with the Pats but he’ll be competing with Peart (the depth chart lists Kenny Wiggins but he’s a mouth breather.) He restructured after opting out and he just turned 33. Gave up 56 pressures and 11 sacks in 2019 so probably the end of the line for him.

Thomas gave up 57 pressures and 10 sacks as a rookie, both were league highs (lows.) Lemieux had a PFF grade on the low 30s which has to be one of the worst of any OL in the league. Hernandez lost his starting LG spot to him when he tested positive in October and never got it back, but he was a solid guy his first two years. The other guys are serviceable but overall the line was ranked 31st by PFF’s grading system and another bottom 8 season seems likely.

Personally I’m not buying the “we’ll be content to let Booker and Ryquell and CC shoulder the load early” narrative. Oh yeah, let’s roll out these trash bags and see if something good happens. Off season coach speak, mans gonna be seeing 80-85% of the snaps, same as day one.

Last edited by a moderator:
They’ve invested a fair amount of capital in their line: 1st rnd (4th overall), 5th rnd, UDFA, 2nd rnd, 3rd rnd. BTW Hernandez is headed into his 4th year, last year on his rookie contract. Nate Solder hasn’t played RT since his rookie year with the Pats but he’ll be competing with Peart (the depth chart lists Kenny Wiggins but he’s a mouth breather.) He restructured after opting out and he just turned 33. Gave up 56 pressures and 11 sacks in 2019 so probably the end of the line for him.

Thomas gave up 57 pressures and 10 sacks as a rookie, both were league highs (lows.) Lemieux had a PFF grade on the low 30s which has to be one of the worst of any OL in the league. Hernandez lost his starting LG spot to him when he tested positive in October and never got it back, but he was a solid guy his first two years. The other guys are serviceable but overall the line was ranked 31st by PFF’s grading system and another bottom 8 season seems likely.

Personally I’m not buying the “we’ll be content to let Booker and Ryquell and CC shoulder the load early” narrative. Oh yeah, let’s roll out these trash bags and see if something good happens. Off season coach speak, mans gonna be seeing 80-85% of the snaps, same as day one.
My bad on Hernandez you are correct this is his 4th year.

After the draft Gettleman was asked by the beat reporters why he didn’t address the OL in the draft and his response was something along the lines of…we (the Giants) obviously feel better about the young guys than the fans and media.

Looking on the bright side, the Giants did have some turmoil with the OL coaching last season. Marc Columbo was fired in the middle of the season. Andrew Thomas seemed to play better after Columbo left. They hired Rob Sale who is allegedly a good OL coach from the college ranks. They also hired NFL vet OL coach Pat Flaherty as a consultant.

Thomas was playing hurt all last season and had to have surgery after the season.

Judge was a bit unconventional last season rotating offensive linemen which gave Lemieux and Peart (especially Peart) some reps they might not have gotten without the rotating. Peart did reasonably well when he played last season

They also added guard Zach Fulton in free agency from the Texans, who is nothing special but is long time vet who MAY help the young guards and provide experience as a backup

Ah the giants o-line, will it never stop being a joke?

No, no it won't.

As for Barkley himself, how many years does he, as a running back, need to end up on ir before we fade him out of the top ten rbs due to him being injury prone?  How terrible do the giants need to be as a team before we agree that he'll have too many team induced 20 carry 25 yard days to fade him out of the top ten?  How crap does Danny penny have to be...

You can throw as many wr on the roster as you want, if teams don't have to respect the play calling, line, or quarterback then outside of Barkley making big plays he's not worth a top pick.

Ah the giants o-line, will it never stop being a joke?

No, no it won't.

As for Barkley himself, how many years does he, as a running back, need to end up on ir before we fade him out of the top ten rbs due to him being injury prone?  How terrible do the giants need to be as a team before we agree that he'll have too many team induced 20 carry 25 yard days to fade him out of the top ten?  How crap does Danny penny have to be...

You can throw as many wr on the roster as you want, if teams don't have to respect the play calling, line, or quarterback then outside of Barkley making big plays he's not worth a top pick.
He's ended 1 season on IR. Seems a bit overboard.

He's ended 1 season on IR. Seems a bit overboard.
I actually hope wgoldsph's sentiment prevails all summer. I'm going to be in a 14-16 teamer and if enough people think like that and I have a pick in the 13-15 range and I can get Barkley in the late 1st/early 2nd round, thank you very much. :D

You're completely right and I feel foolish.
Not my intent to make you feel foolish! He did have a big span of being injured and then playing ineffectively through injury year 2, so I get why it feels that way. I just think it's a risk that comes with the territory when you get a lot of touches. 

Not my intent to make you feel foolish! He did have a big span of being injured and then playing ineffectively through injury year 2, so I get why it feels that way. I just think it's a risk that comes with the territory when you get a lot of touches. 
You're all good, I just got swept up in my giants hate (and underlying Jason Garrett hate) and the fact that I spent a lot of my auction budget on Barkley last year. 

Giants head coach Joe Judge declined to offer a timeline for Saquon Barkley's return from his ACL injury. 

Judge said he's happy with how Barkley has "attacked" rehab after the devastating early-season ACL tear that ended Barkley's third NFL season. Judge said the team is "going to make sure that we take Saquon’s rehab at the correct rate for his individual body and injury." ESPN's Jordan Raanan in May reported the Giants might ease Barkley into his regular workhorse role early in the 2021 season. The expectation is for Barkley to resume every-down duties in New York's offense. Free agent signing Devontae Booker could have some role in the Giants' offense if Barkley were to have a limited role in September.

RELATED: 

Devontae Booker

SOURCE: Dan Duggan on Twitter 

Jun 8, 2021, 11:19 AM ET

Wish all these updates from faux medical reporters would mention how he is recovering from all 3 injuries, not just an ACL.

Two words: Unhappy Triad

Yes, there is a name when you tear all 3 - the ACL, the MCL, and the Meniscus.

-----

Shoudn't just report about the ACL though it takes the longest. The others need to be rehabilitated too.

Any PTs in the house to give a better guestimate on damage, atrophy, and recovery?

Riffraff said:
Wish all these updates from faux medical reporters would mention how he is recovering from all 3 injuries, not just an ACL.

Two words: Unhappy Triad

Yes, there is a name when you tear all 3 - the ACL, the MCL, and the Meniscus.

-----

Shoudn't just report about the ACL though it takes the longest. The others need to be rehabilitated too.

Any PTs in the house to give a better guestimate on damage, atrophy, and recovery?
Not a medical professional but just want to point out it was a partially torn MCL and strained meniscus. Two who came back from the terrible triad that immediately come to mind are Gronk and ADP.

Saquon Barkley was shown cutting and catching passes in a workout video.

Barkley's Instagram video showed him doing agility drills on the beach and stopping and starting with ease, a good sign that his recovery from ACL surgery is going well. Zack Rosenblatt of NJ.com noted that it was the best Barkley has looked in his videos so far. The Giants have made noises recently about easing Barkley's workload to begin the season, in a play to preserve the long-term health of their franchise running back. Barkley's ADP has taken a hit as a result. Entering a season where the offense must show significant improvement, however, it won't be long before a fully healthy Barkley resumes a workhorse role.

SOURCE: Fox Sports on Twiiter

Jun 22, 2021, 5:28 PM ET

Meh. He’s probably sick of being asked the question.

if he’s doing agility drills, I’m drafting him if I have a chance.
I hear you and that's entirely possible but there have been other stories about how cautious the Giants will be with him (as they should be).  If his snaps are limited to start the season, it's likely good for his longevity but not ideal for owners who are investing a top 4 or 5 pick in him in redraft leagues. Just something to monitor.

I hear you and that's entirely possible but there have been other stories about how cautious the Giants will be with him (as they should be).  If his snaps are limited to start the season, it's likely good for his longevity but not ideal for owners who are investing a top 4 or 5 pick in him in redraft leagues. Just something to monitor.
Oh I’ve been following along. 

the Giants will say all the right things. The player’s responses to annoying questions will be framed in the most inflammatory way by sites that want your clicks.

I’ll watch video & see how he’s looked in the preseason. 

players have come back from worse in shorter time-frames, and seeing him making cuts is worth 1000 articles and words of caution.

As we get closer to the season I expect these reports to get more optimistic.

I’m not sure he goes top 4 in PPR, but it’s possible. 5-6 is more likely & most folks drafting there are going for upside - his risk is baked into the cost. Without the risk he’s top 2, maybe even 1st. 

I suspect in many leagues he’ll fall to 7-12, as some folks are risk averse, were burned by him last year, or simply see him as “damaged goods”. If I’m anywhere past 6 & he comes to me, I’m likely taking the injury discount. 

If we're talking statistical performance, I try to stay away from RBs coming off of ACLs. The only RB that I know of to be somewhat in line of what he did the previous full season pre-ACL is Jamaal Charles. I remember Jamaal being very tentative and less aggressive for almost the entirety of his rebound season. He went from a 6.4 ypc (2010) to a 5.3 ypc (2012) but the 1 ypc dropoff was also influenced by an uptick of 55 more carries in 2012. Now Jamaal is the anomaly being the NFL career leader in rushing yards per carry so I would take that with a grain of salt.

Jamaal's running style was very finesse, he was more of a slitherer and long strider. He had more of a north to south running style and wasn't so dependent on stopping and planting counters and jump cutting. He was also built more svelte and didn't have to carry around as much weight as others. While his center of gravity is ideal, Saquon has a more robust and heavier frame to carry around. He has a much more violent running style where lateral agility has been a key to his success thus far. RBs that rely on the misdirection will put more torque and stress on the knees. I believe Saquon will be more of a north to south runner this season to help compensate for the ACL and would sense that he will gamble less and rather shred his knees he will be much more prone to fall forward for the 4-5 yard plunge. 

If one is drafting Saquon in the Top 5 this season, you are essentially expecting him to not miss a beat, which is possible given his genetics and cyborg physical makeup, but history suggests otherwise. It's Year 2 after ACL that I would be all in. I would be much more comfortable taking him in the backend of the first round. Just know that the upside is baked in to the cost so anybody drafting him in the top 10 will probably need to make up the difference somewhere else on his/her team if you're looking to get ahead of your competition.
Adrian Peterson would like a word about your analysis as he blew out both his ACL and MCL in Week 16 and then came back to rush for over 2000K yards the next season so anything is possible with the injury:

https://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/48583/adrian-peterson-best-acl-recovery-ever

Full disclosure - I have Barkley in Dynasty and fully expect him to be slow out of the blocks and have other options to at least smooth the wait. 

Adrian Peterson would like a word about your analysis as he blew out both his ACL and MCL in Week 16 and then came back to rush for over 2000K yards the next season so anything is possible with the injury:

https://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/48583/adrian-peterson-best-acl-recovery-ever

Full disclosure - I have Barkley in Dynasty and fully expect him to be slow out of the blocks and have other options to at least smooth the wait. 
In redraft I am looking to avoid. I think recovery time and effectiveness from injuries like this consist of a range of possibilities. ADP is at one end of the spectrum, basically a unicorn (which your article more or less asserts). I guess anything is possible but not everything is probable. Will Barkley be a unicorn too? Maybe...

Does anyone remember what the narrative was like surrounding ADP in July following his injury?  Was there still talk of him missing week 1 at this point in the offseason or were the reports already saying he had made a miraculous recovery and looked like he was at full speed?

FreeBaGeL said:
Does anyone remember what the narrative was like surrounding ADP in July following his injury?  Was there still talk of him missing week 1 at this point in the offseason or were the reports already saying he had made a miraculous recovery and looked like he was at full speed?
The thought train as the season approached, was that most fantasy experts were saying "caution drafting AP".   The majority of the speculation was that he "may miss a couple weeks, or he may possibly be eased in".

Most "smarts" in our leagues avoided him altogether that year.     🤣

TZM

habsfan said:
In redraft I am looking to avoid. I think recovery time and effectiveness from injuries like this consist of a range of possibilities. ADP is at one end of the spectrum, basically a unicorn (which your article more or less asserts). I guess anything is possible but not everything is probable. Will Barkley be a unicorn too? Maybe...
Oh I agree totally in redraft, and I had remembered ADP and his crazy comeback, definately a unicorn. Just wanted to pass along another look at it (injury recovery time and the next year). 

Giants announced Thursday that they place Saquon Barkley (knee) on the PUP list.

Barkley was expected to begin camp on the PUP list, with the Giants not rushing him back from his ACL injury last season. Barkley still looks likely to play in Week 1, although he may not be ready to handle his typical workload from the outset. His status will be monitored closely throughout training camp.

RELATED: 

Devontae Booker

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Jul 22, 2021, 5:04 PM ET

ESPN's Jordan Raanan reports the Giants plan to take a “long term” approach with Saquon Barkley (knee) this summer.

Raanan's source was coach Joe Judge, who shared the plan in a one-on-one interview. There's still reportedly a "chance" Barkley is ready for Week 1, which simultaneously entails a chance that he's not ready — an outcome that really wasn't in the cards until this very moment. Barkley's ADP has dipped to the end of the first round recently which, at this rate, remains too high for a player that could be sidelined for an unknown length of time to open the 17-game season. More details are sure to come throughout camp.

SOURCE: Jordan Raanan on Twitter

Jul 26, 2021, 6:02 PM ET

I have pick 4 in redraft. He's my target if there. For reference it's a redraft keep 1 league where CMC, Henry and Cook are kept.

Users who are viewing this thread