What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Saquon Barkley, PHI (4 Viewers)

What about Houston? Singletary is a free agent. They have tons of cap space. Young QB that a veteran RB could help, and that they want to protect (PFF rated Barkley as the #1 pass blocking RB in the league last year).

It seems like it could make some sense and would be a great spot for fantasy.

What about Houston? Singletary is a free agent. They have tons of cap space. Young QB that a veteran RB could help, and that they want to protect (PFF rated Barkley as the #1 pass blocking RB in the league last year).

Their OL is also pretty putrid right?

I think it needs some improvement but Singletary had a significantly better YPC than Barkley last year, plus there are going to be so many more scoring opportunities playing with a high quality QB. If Saquon signs with Houston, he's a top 5 pick for fantasy IMO.

I'd guess at least a 75% chance he stays in NY.
I just don't get why he would want to stay on a team where he will never win a championship or even go on a title chase at. Giants have done nothing to improve their team since they drafted Barkley.
Maybe he likes NY?

I think the NYG know they don't have too many playmakers on offense, and he's probably their biggest priority among FAs, its him or McKinney, and Barkley is the centerpiece of the offense, even if many/most teams might prefer McKinney.

Considering the fact that no one is going to pay him bucks, I don't see how he would want to stay in NY. Recent interviews read like he's also finally gotten over that hump as well.

“They know that but once you get to this point, you go to your contract negotiation and you go through the tag process, you realize how much of a business it is."

Plus recently reacting to Cole Beasley trying to recruit him to Dallas. And his super cold responses about having to negotiate and possibly get tagged during the combine. I think odds are greater he leaves NYG than stays at this point. As another poster pointed out, now that money will likely be low balled regardless of where he goes, why not go to a team with a chance at playoffs? Or at least a team with a semi competent offense so he can stack numbers and try to improve his legacy? Despite acknowledging these teams are all similar in their business sense, it doesn't change the fact the Giants are the most recent to leave a bad taste in his mouth and the grass on the other side will look greener just because it's different.

Considering the fact that no one is going to pay him bucks
I think the Giants will offer him the most money for a variety of reasons ranging from their desperate need for him and to appease the lockeroom with respect to taking care of their own and for Schoen to try and alleviate some of the heat he's taking in the locker room for being a hard *** in negotiations.

IMO this will boil down to whether or not he's willing to take less to try and be on a team that has a more viable shot to win the SB. So far he's been one incredibly loyal solider to the Giants, overly loyal IMO.

My best guess is he'll return to the Giants but I'm like most people who would sure like to see him get a shot before it's to late to play on an actually good offense.

I think the Giants will offer him the most money for a variety of reasons ranging from their desperate need for him and to appease the lockeroom with respect to taking care of their own and for Schoen to try and alleviate some of the heat he's taking in the locker room for being a hard *** in negotiations.

IMO this will boil down to whether or not he's willing to take less to try and be on a team that has a more viable shot to win the SB. So far he's been one incredibly loyal solider to the Giants, overly loyal IMO.

My best guess is he'll return to the Giants but I'm like most people who would sure like to see him get a shot before it's to late to play on an actually good offense.
I didn't consider that as an option, but yeah, if the Giants do offer the most money I could see him staying at that point. But agree with ya that I'd like to see him elsewhere. Even if it's not an obvious upgrade over NY, I think it's time for a change before he hits his decline.

I didn't consider that as an option, but yeah, if the Giants do offer the most money I could see him staying at that point. But agree with ya that I'd like to see him elsewhere. Even if it's not an obvious upgrade over NY, I think it's time for a change before he hits his decline.
Honestly, pretty much anywhere would be an upgrade. Been a lot of talk about the Texans. If the money works, would love to see that. Passing game where defenses couldn’t cheat and a coach that wants to run the ball and be balanced.

Still like the Cowboys as a possibility too. Won’t cost much more than Pollard would.

Houston Texans seem like a good fit.
The Chargers were also mentioned above because Ryan Leaf of all people said that Harbaugh loves him. With Greg Roman on board as the OC, have to think there will be a commitment to the run. Whether that means Barkley or someone else, that's going to be a heck of a fantasy landing spot.

NFLN said that the Buffalo Bills could be a dark horse for him.. Terry Pegula, the owner of the Bills, who is also a Penn State alum and donor of the Football program, has said several times in last year that Barkley would look great in a Bills Uniform.

NFLN said that the Buffalo Bills could be a dark horse for him.. Terry Pegula, the owner of the Bills, who is also a Penn State alum and donor of the Football program, has said several times in last year that Barkley would look great in a Bills Uniform.
So he can watch Josh Allen run the ball all the time and split with some old guys like Fournette and Latavius?

I think it needs some improvement but Singletary had a significantly better YPC than Barkley last year, plus there are going to be so many more scoring opportunities playing with a high quality QB. If Saquon signs with Houston, he's a top 5 pick for fantasy IMO.

Houston has put a lot resources into their line with mixed results. Its not a bottom 3 unit anymore like the Giants but they aren’t great either. Biggest problem is always health, Texans constantly shuffling guys around due to injuries.

Patrick Storm
“It’s a case of him [Saquon Barkley] communicating with top players including CJ Stroud about a desire to play here, it is mutual” -@AaronWilson_NFL

Aaron continues on to say that the Texans will keep their options open at RB heading into FA including bringing back Motor.

Scott Barrett
My concern here would be the same as it was with Dameon Pierce.

"He's a good runner, but he might not be a great fit for Slowik's Shanahan-influenced outside zone running scheme."

Man / Gap Concept Runs [2021-2023]

Dameon Pierce: 4.05 YPC
Saquon Barkley: 4.40 YPC

Zone Concept Runs [2021-2023]

Dameon Pierce: 3.44 YPC (18% worse)
Saquon Barkley: 3.71 YPC (19% worse)

@FantasyPtsData

Giants general manager Joe Schoen said using the franchise tag on Saquon Barkley is “not off the table.”

comments at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis come a day after ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported the Giants are unlikely to tag him for 2024 — a move that would pay Barkley around $12 million. Coming off a 1,242-yard season, Barkley in 2023 showed he can still be a lead back, and should draw interest from a handful of teams this offseason looking to bolster their backfields. Both parties seem ready to part ways. It would be a stunner if the Giants tagged Barkley, 27, in the coming days.

CBS’ Josina Anderson reports the Giants and impending free agent Saquon Barkley had a “good initial meeting” Wednesday.
“My understanding is, the team remains open to multiple options, including memorializing Barkley’s legacy as a Giant, pending an agreement on mutual terms,” Anderson added. We frankly have no idea what that last bit means, but it sounds like perhaps a multi-year deal is within the range of outcomes. The Giants aren’t going to open up the bank vault for a 27-year-old running back, but they may still value Barkley more than any other team.

Barkley to Houston???

If so, RIP to Saquon career.. Houston is a weird team for a RB to go. They averaged .8 yards per run before contact last year which was last in the league. There OL is ranked 25th in run blocking/

San Diego would be a much better choice for him IMO.

Barkley to Houston???

If so, RIP to Saquon career.. Houston is a weird team for a RB to go. They averaged .8 yards per run before contact last year which was last in the league. There OL is ranked 25th in run blocking/

I think either would be prime landing spots. Houston’s RB blocking may not have been great last year, but Singletary managed well and I’m sure they’ll beef up the line to help Stroud. And having a QB like Stroud with excellent receiving options in Collins/Dell is going to open a lot of running lanes. Plus Stroud is a big scrambler, so that could mean a lot of dumpoffs.

Putting the cart before the horse here, but Barkley owners should be very happy if Houston signs him.

Barkley to Houston???

What? You did see how Saquon performed in NY the past two years right? With ZERO O-line, very little help from the other skill positions and Jones at QB.

Houston has stars at the WR and TE positions and a QB who appears to be headed for greatness. Houton would be a HUGE upgrade for him.

100% agree, looks like we found the 1% who would not think so. Ascending offense and franchise QB…yes please for my RB. They are not going to sit on their hands with the oline either. They will do what they can to protect Stroud,

Barkley to Houston???

The Chargers were dead last in run blocking, part of the reason (along with having a health ankle) I think Ekeler might be a steal this offseason.

That said, if I were either team, I'd prefer Henry or Jacobs, or even Pollard if Barkley wants 10+ million and a long-term deal.

Barkley to Houston???

I think either would be prime landing spots. Houston’s RB blocking may not have been great last year, but Singletary managed well and I’m sure they’ll beef up the line to help Stroud. And having a QB like Stroud with excellent receiving options in Collins/Dell is going to open a lot of running lanes. Plus Stroud is a big scrambler, so that could mean a lot of dumpoffs.

Putting the cart before the horse here, but Barkley owners should be very happy if Houston signs him.
As a titans fan I hate it.
As a Barkley shareholder, I’m loving the idea.

It's amazing how valueless RBs have become post year 3 in the NFL. These guys are beat up by age 25, and the newer faster kid is ready to go. Kinda sad. I miss the Earl Campbell days where the RB dished out punishment.

It's amazing how valueless RBs have become post year 3 in the NFL. These guys are beat up by age 25, and the newer faster kid is ready to go. Kinda sad. I miss the Earl Campbell days where the RB dished out punishment.
I'm not sure that's totally true. More that Barkley isn't an elite player in my opinion. The following all got paid after year 3, and panned out:

Henry (great)
CMC (elite)
Chubb (great)
A. Jones (good)

There were also guys who got paid and didn't pan out:
Zeke (bad)
Mixon (not great)
Kamara (average)
Cook (not great)

Jury is out on Jonathan Taylor.

Paying Barkley feels more likely to fall into the latter category.

This is interesting:

The Texans are expected to explore scenarios where they sign more than one running back, per sources, perhaps rather than spend money on just one free agent runner like New York Giants star Saquon Barkley, who has made the AFC South champions his top potential destination and has been communicating with quarterback C.J. Stroud, per league sources.

Barkley to Houston???

Is yards before contact solely an OL stat? Seems like having 2 non-explosive RBs like Singletary and Pierce would help lower that number.

Barkley to Houston???

Is yards before contact solely an OL stat? Seems like having 2 non-explosive RBs like Singletary and Pierce would help lower that number.
Its not solely an OL stat, but its mostly an OL stat.

For comparisons sake, yards before contact last season, with yards after contact in parenthesis:
Barkley-.99 (2.91)
Singletary-1.12 (2.88)
Pierce-.55 (2.25)
Breida-.50 (2.20)

I'd feel comfortable saying the Texans OL is better than the Giants. I'd personally rather go after someone cheaper than Barkley if I were the Texans, but it would be an upgrade for Barkley.

Barkley to Houston???

Its not solely an OL stat, but its mostly an OL stat.

For comparisons sake, yards before contact last season, with yards after contact in parenthesis:
Barkley-.99 (2.91)
Singletary-1.12 (2.88)
Pierce-.55 (2.25)
Breida-.50 (2.20)

I'd feel comfortable saying the Texans OL is better than the Giants. I'd personally rather go after someone cheaper than Barkley if I were the Texans, but it would be an upgrade for Barkley.
Better OL
Better QB
Better WRs……

Spot on

Houston struggled mightily with Slowik's new blocking scheme for the first half of the year (plus they were missing multiple starters at the beginning of the season and throughout) but finally started pulling it together towards the 2nd half of the season. I'd be curious if there are any split stats on how they did run blocking 1st half vs 2nd and if the stats really bear that out. While they aren't a great run blocking team (but committed to trying to get better), they've got to be better than the NYG (PFF had them 30th overall but I can't see run vs pass blocking ranks.)

I mostly agree with the Giants there. There is a very small list of RBs worth that much, and they are all a lot better than Barkley.
But they gave Jones 40 million and EVERY other qb is better than he is.
They didn't have to pay either. 1 bad decision is better than 2.

I will say as an aside, I think the Daniel Jones conversation has swung a bit too far. He certainly wasn't worth 40 million (that was obvious at the time) but he's not awful. He's a fringe starter/bridge QB I think. He should be serving as a cautionary tale to Tampa Bay right now though, about a QB who suddenly put up 1 good season.

I mostly agree with the Giants there. There is a very small list of RBs worth that much, and they are all a lot better than Barkley.

I will say as an aside, I think the Daniel Jones conversation has swung a bit too far. He certainly wasn't worth 40 million (that was obvious at the time) but he's not awful. He's a fringe starter/bridge QB I think. He should be serving as a cautionary tale to Tampa Bay right now though, about a QB who suddenly put up 1 good season.
Jones plus the contract is pretty super awful

Jones plus the contract is pretty super awful
Agreed, I was just addressing the "Every other QB is better than he is" part. If Jones were still on his rookie deal, he'd be fine. Not great, but fine.

David J. Gautieri
If you’re going to invest in only 1 RB in dynasty – it should be Saquon Barkley.

ELITE prospect (2nd overall NFL Draft pick).

ELITE athlete (4.40 40, 41” vertical, 29 bench reps at 6’0”/233).

Proven NFL producer (multiple seasons with 1,300+ rushing yards).

Don’t let last year fool you.

NY started 3 different QB’s; ranked 29th in YPG & 30th in PPG; their o-line ranked 31st in run-block win-rate; & Saquon STILL finished as the RB9 (15.9 PPG) while dealing with an ankle injury (10 TD’s in 14 games).

He’s hit or paced for 50+ receptions & 70+ targets every season of his career.

His ceiling + floor is as high as any RB in the game – & he’s about to get a fresh start via Free Agency.

Yet he’s available in the 5th & 6th rounds of dynasty startups.

Users who are viewing this thread