What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tony Jones Jr., NO (1 Viewer)

Debating on picking him up. Should I drop a WR6 (Elijah Moore) for him? Also carrying two TE and might dump Jonnu.

Redraft and definitely easier replaced or just as easily dropped. My only hesitation is I can keep Elijah as a rookie keeper next year.
If you need a RB, Jones now has the clearest path to playing time of all the backups, because the RB2 in NOLA plays a LOT. Like weekly flex-worthy a lot. If they get out to big leads a lot. They loved using Murray extensively if they had a lead. 

The need VS the rookie keeper is a question only you can answer, but IMO Jones is plenty valuable right now. 

If you need a RB, Jones now has the clearest path to playing time of all the backups, because the RB2 in NOLA plays a LOT. Like weekly flex-worthy a lot. If they get out to big leads a lot. They loved using Murray extensively if they had a lead. 

The need VS the rookie keeper is a question only you can answer, but IMO Jones is plenty valuable right now. 
I made the move. Moore was actually my WR7... haha. Made the call that much easier.

I picked up both him and ty'son in my first round of waivers in my dynasty league.  Feeling good about my depth at rb now even after losing Dobbins.

Drafting tonight. What round (12 team, 15 round league) you think he goes?

And him or Ty'son Williams?

Hard to say, read the board as people are drafting. The problem is that this is all speculation on his role, based on the Saints' history we think he should do well. We also don't know how he will do. I would shoot around the 10th or 11th round. Is he a better pick then Pollard around his ADP? 🤔 

I’d take him before Williams. the “Murray role” should be more valuable, IMO. 

As for the question specifically. I’d have to assume the Kamara owner will now target him in the same round Murray was going. So 10-12? 

I’d take him before Williams. the “Murray role” should be more valuable, IMO. 

As for the question specifically. I’d have to assume the Kamara owner will now target him in the same round Murray was going. So 10-12? 
As a Kamara owner, drafting this past weekend, I got Murray in the 13 and Jones in the 15th. Now that the roles are clarified, he should be going in the 10th. 

As a Kamara owner, drafting this past weekend, I got Murray in the 13 and Jones in the 15th. Now that the roles are clarified, he should be going in the 10th. 
Yeah, looking at Murray in my draft last Saturday he went in the 13 in an IDP, which is like the 10th in D/ST. Sounds about right.

Might have to go 9th depending on where in the draft order Kamara went relative to the non-kamara owner targeting Jones. 

I’m not holding pollard in a 12 team shallow league if I don’t own zeke. That’s a great way to clog a roster spot on exciting prospects. Tony Jones should be picked up over pollard if you don’t own zeke 
Don't really follow this logic.  If he's good enough for the Zeke owner why isn't he good enough for any other?  His value is his value.

In one particular redraft, I'm debating snagging Tony Jones. (already snagged him in 2 others)

The only people I could drop are CHUBA HUBBARD and TY'SON WILLIAMS .

Dropping Williams might be the play, but take a guess who I have as one of my starters, GUS EDWARDS. 

I post this not asking for advice, merely letting others know the kinds of decisions we are gauging making.

One thing for sure, there is only 3-4 "elite handcuffs" , where if something happens to the main guy, they look to get plenty of work and they automatically catapult to the top of everyones wire desire.

Tony Jones is now one of those.

TZM

I’m not holding pollard in a 12 team shallow league if I don’t own zeke. That’s a great way to clog a roster spot on exciting prospects. Tony Jones should be picked up over pollard if you don’t own zeke 
Pollard should have a sizable role in the Dallas offense. 

Jones should have a sizable role in the Saints offense.

Zeke struggled quite a bit last year. Kamara didn’t.  

pollard showed extremely well when Zeke was struggling. 

Jones is a practice squad guy with 3 NFL carries Ro his name.

No way would I drop Pollard for Jones. 

In one particular redraft, I'm debating snagging Tony Jones. (already snagged him in 2 others)

The only people I could drop are CHUBA HUBBARD and TY'SON WILLIAMS .

Dropping Williams might be the play, but take a guess who I have as one of my starters, GUS EDWARDS. 

I post this not asking for advice, merely letting others know the kinds of decisions we are gauging making.

One thing for sure, there is only 3-4 "elite handcuffs" , where if something happens to the main guy, they look to get plenty of work and they automatically catapult to the top of everyones wire desire.

Tony Jones is now one of those.

TZM
I know ya weren’t asking for advice, but I love ya so here it is: don’t drop Chubba for him, but Williams is a pretty easy drop even with Gus.

if Gus goes down you get a RBBC of Bell & Williams. 

If Kamara goes down, BOOM! Jones. 

I’m on the Tony Jones side of this one. McCarthy said something vague about not giving Zeke as many carries but he hasn't actually done that. Payton has had a second useful back in the mix before. They’re both high end handcuffs but I feel better about Jones having stand alone value. 

I am all aboard having drafted him earlier tonight - but pump the brakes a little - if he just assumes the Murray role, i don't know that there is enough value there.  If you look at Murrays weekly results in 2020, there are only maybe 4 worthwhile starts there (being generous) 

If Kamara goes down, BOOM! Jones. 

This is key, and it always was.   He is now one of the elite handcuffs, except NOW he is going to get you some production anyway.

(if I ever dropped anyone, it wouldn't be Chuba Hubbard either, hes in a very similar heavy workload scenario if CMC gets injured).

Just for kicks, here is my roster of RBs in that league I mentioned.   (we can only start two, no flex, standard scoring) 

RB 1 RB2  Austin Ekeler, Gus Edwards

Bench backs (we have 7 bench spots)   Damien Harris, Zack Moss, Javonte F'N Williams, Melvin Gordon , Chuba Hubbard, Ty'Son Williams. 

As you can see, I essentially load up on RBs. Those guys that litter their benches with wr4-wr5 types amuse me.    :lol:

When I read about the Bell news earlier, it didn't scare me off of Ty'Son Williams, but it might just be a scenario I would rather avoid.

I'll end up with Tony Jones there too I'm sure.

TZM

The power back touches per game in the Kamara era:

2017 Ingram- 18

2018 Ingram- 13.25

2019- Murray 11.25

2020- Murray 11.26

Pollard touches per game last year: 8.0. 

There’s some noise in the data for sure. Kamara was a rookie when Ingram had 18 touches per game. And Murray had a couple starts due to injury mixed in there during 2019. But Pollard’s numbers are also off because he had an 18 touch start mixed in last year as well. Without that he’s at 7.4 touches per game. I feel pretty good that the second back in NO will get 10-12 touches. We haven’t seen that yet in Dallas is all I’m saying.

Don't really follow this logic.  If he's good enough for the Zeke owner why isn't he good enough for any other?  His value is his value.
Because insurance is more valuable to the policy holder who can’t afford to lose their starter if it goes down? What value is he to me on a 5 bench 12 team league when I’m running stars and scrubs? Tried trading him but to no avail. I gotta unearth flex options with my build and don’t wanna lock into another handcuff when I already have cmc and Hubbard. It’s all contextual of course/ other teams can hold onto him if they can afford it, but I gotta find some immediate impact guys and don’t think Tony pollard is that barring injury 

I think Tony Jones can be that, considering he got a veteran released and it’s not the first time the saints churn value out of UDFA rbs (Pierre Thomas?)

Last edited by a moderator:
The power back touches per game in the Kamara era:

2017 Ingram- 18

2018 Ingram- 13.25

2019- Murray 11.25

2020- Murray 11.26

I don't think it's complete to compare TJJ to Ingram/Murray. I believe TJJ is a MUCH more dynamic back than those two, and more comparable to Kamara's skillset (not suggesting he is as good, but that he has simillar attributes).

Compound that with the notion that the Saints may rely on backfield passing targets more this year than in the past - to acclimate the complete makeover of their passing game after the loss of Brees, Thomas, Cook, Hill and Sanders - and we could see Kamara get his usual load AND a heavy load for TTJ in tandem.

Lastly, I suspect that if TJJ does get a 1b-ish share of RB looks/touches - let's say 12-15 p/g - that he will do more with those opps than Ingram/Murray would have and did in years past.

Get hype TJJ owners! Saints Film Room: Tony Jones, Jr. | Breaking down the All-22

I don't think it's complete to compare TJJ to Ingram/Murray. I believe TJJ is a MUCH more dynamic back than those two, and more comparable to Kamara's skillset (not suggesting he is as good, but that he has simillar attributes).

Compound that with the notion that the Saints may rely on backfield passing targets more this year than in the past - to acclimate the complete makeover of their passing game after the loss of Brees, Thomas, Cook, Hill and Sanders - and we could see Kamara get his usual load AND a heavy load for TTJ in tandem.

Lastly, I suspect that if TJJ does get a 1b-ish share of RB looks/touches - let's say 12-15 p/g - that he will do more with those opps than Ingram/Murray would have and did in years past.

Get hype TJJ owners! Saints Film Room: Tony Jones, Jr. | Breaking down the All-22
Ingram caught 58 in a year there…I’m here for it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Crowder is out this week. Moore could end up being the big waiver add next week. Who’s your number 5?
would like to pick up Jones but have to drop R. Moore(PPR) AZ.  really tempted as RB is such a hard spot to fill & AZ has a lot of weapons as far as WR.

While I don't think Moore can be a league winner a guy like Jones could be.

{contemplating}

would like to pick up Jones but have to drop R. Moore(PPR) AZ.  really tempted as RB is such a hard spot to fill & AZ has a lot of weapons as far as WR.

While I don't think Moore can be a league winner a guy like Jones could be.

{contemplating}
I don’t get it.  Nothing about his profile screams him being a good player.

Users who are viewing this thread