What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Travis Etienne, JAX (3 Viewers)

I guess he didn't read the Bryce Love book.
No, he didn’t and I get why he’s returning but he’s taking a huge chance here. This makes my draft a lot easier for 2020. Akers moves up to that 5th spot.

Tex

Sucks. I hate seeing young people make bad decisions. He now loses a year of earning, risks injury, and delays his payday 1 year (or 2 if he is a 1st rounder next year vs a 2nd rounder this year). For what? So $15M man Dabo Swinney can have a bit better chance to pad his resume? 

Last edited by a moderator:
What an idiot.  This is a major mistake.  It's all downside.  Every single (financial) aspect of it is downside.

Nothing to gain.  Millions at risk. 

Eta: read a good point that there is a chance for a CBA change that helps RBs.  Seems like a long shot though. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Etienne was the one Elite RB who I said would probably return for another year and someone didn’t believe me.

Tex

😡 grrrr whyyyyyy???? This draft looks like it sucks at RB now.  

Lose Najee, Hubbard and now Etienne.  Not nearly as deep anymore.  

Just another reason we can declare 2020 as the year of the WR instead of the godly class it was looking to be.  

Things always get pushed a year.  

Bizarre move.  Can't really see him improving his draft stock much.  The NFL knows who he is right now.  Another year isn't going to change anything.  

Big Red Flag.  A top RB staying for senior season makes no sense.  Maybe he got feedback the NFL didn't think highly of him.  

He was the best RB  prospect in he class in my opinion. Its basically last year's class now. A clear #1 in Swift(Jacobs) a proven multi year staring RB, with minor question marks in Taylor(Montgomery), an underrated prospect who will likely rise up draft boards all spring in Moss(Sanders) and a guy the fantasy community seems to love despite his numerous question marks in Dobbins(Henderson)

If I really wanted to stretch this narrative, I could see Ke'Shawn Vaughn being the Devin Singletary and Cam Akers being the Damien Harris.

He was the best RB  prospect in he class in my opinion. Its basically last year's class now. A clear #1 in Swift(Jacobs) a proven multi year staring RB, with minor question marks in Taylor(Montgomery), an underrated prospect who will likely rise up draft boards all spring in Moss(Sanders) and a guy the fantasy community seems to love despite his numerous question marks in Dobbins(Henderson)

If I really wanted to stretch this narrative, I could see Ke'Shawn Vaughn being the Devin Singletary and Cam Akers being the Damien Harris.
bolded bad on so many levels

Fantasy wise, its a great thing if he comes out healthy. He's got a good head on his shoulders. Wants his degree and unfinished business at Clemson. Whoever gets him in FF will get a really good RB with the desire needed to succeed.

Bizarre move.  Can't really see him improving his draft stock much.  The NFL knows who he is right now.  Another year isn't going to change anything.  

Big Red Flag.  A top RB staying for senior season makes no sense.  Maybe he got feedback the NFL didn't think highly of him.  
The potential RBs and WRs next year are just as good as this year. I don’t see much drop off at all. Also, with LSU and Georgia’s young team getting back and winning the championship next year will be even tougher. 

Tex

😡 grrrr whyyyyyy???? This draft looks like it sucks at RB now.  

Lose Najee, Hubbard and now Etienne.  Not nearly as deep anymore.  

Just another reason we can declare 2020 as the year of the WR instead of the godly class it was looking to be.  

Things always get pushed a year.  
still love the top3...and sprinkle in akers...need to look at moss more...the wrs from picks 4-9 might be a sweet spot

Surprised like many by his and some other top RB's decisions to remain that I can't help but at least wonder if they have got some feedback that something might be done to help out RB compensation with the new CBA that would hopefully be in place when they enter the league next year. I've heard this absolutely nowhere so just spitballing, just seems so odd to me that the top position players are remaining in school happens to be the top position that wear and tear is negatively viewed so struggling to make sense of it.

Yes but if you have 1.4 you were feeling good about grabbing the last left over from Swift, etn, dobbins, taylor. now you're missing out completely unless someone falls in love with jeudy
Depending on landing spots, which is the case for everybody,  Lamb and Jeudy might be the 2 best fantasy guys in this draft. If I had 1.4 I'd be hoping RB's went ahead of me. Lamb and Jeudy might be the 2 best WR prospects of the last 5 years, with the caveat that even the biggest Michael Thomas fans didn't see him being at this level.

I think there is a very strong case for WR at 1.1.

Eta: read a good point that there is a chance for a CBA change that helps RBs.  Seems like a long shot though. 
I just posted something similar before seeing you already had. I'd not read it myself but was just thinking it out loud. Something sure seems up with these RB's returning however. 

I was just looking at Josh Jacobs pay vs Montgomery, so comping a late one vs early third which to me is in range of his best case next year and worst case this year. Maybe those of you here don't believe that is his best/worst case but for a moment at least let's look at this premise.

If he went late one next year and got similar pay as Jacobs entering the 2024 season he'd  have pocked $8.42M, have guaranteed contract in 2025 for $3.72M and his team would have 5th year option on him.

If he came out this year and went in range Montgomery went as what I'm terming "worst case" at end of 2024 season he'd have made $4.015M and be a UFA. If you want to use someone like Miles Sanders as worst case draft position instead then this number crops up to around $5.6

Not sure if that changes anyone's thinking, can't say it does for me because so many variables but if he was a mid to late second this year and vs being a late first next year you could at least make the case that after 4 years from  he'd be a little ahead  by remaining in school but still seems like a stretch to me to conclude that based on the current CBA he's making a good financial decision to return.

Depending on landing spots, which is the case for everybody,  Lamb and Jeudy might be the 2 best fantasy guys in this draft. If I had 1.4 I'd be hoping RB's went ahead of me. Lamb and Jeudy might be the 2 best WR prospects of the last 5 years, with the caveat that even the biggest Michael Thomas fans didn't see him being at this level.

I think there is a very strong case for WR at 1.1.
If every RB who could come out came out Lamb and Jeudy would continue to be in my Big 4 as they have been since December when I started putting initial top list together.

Surprised like many by his and some other top RB's decisions to remain that I can't help but at least wonder if they have got some feedback that something might be done to help out RB compensation with the new CBA that would hopefully be in place when they enter the league next year. I've heard this absolutely nowhere so just spitballing, just seems so odd to me that the top position players are remaining in school happens to be the top position that wear and tear is negatively viewed so struggling to make sense of it.
It's been suggested on Twitter that the CBA might play a factor into some of these guys returning to school

Fantasy wise, its a great thing if he comes out healthy. He's got a good head on his shoulders. Wants his degree and unfinished business at Clemson. Whoever gets him in FF will get a really good RB with the desire needed to succeed.
Why is it better than him coming out now and someone getting him this season?

With these owners???? Lol they’re not giving up so much that it would cause someone to miss a year of salary and no matter how you calculate it, it’s a year’s salary.

Tex

Who is advising these RBs. These are horrific financial decisions. Obviously there’s more to life but for a RB you’re only going to get one crack at a big contract and delaying that a year hurts those chances tremendously- and that’s not even accounting for a college injury next season which would be a disaster.

my guess is he was given a grade as the RB4, late 2nd rounder. He figured he could be a 1st next year, which is a big difference for a first. 14 carries a game isnt going to put too much wear.

I agree, it's stupid, but the above is probably the crap he was fed
He’s either a first round prospect or he’s not - nothing he does next season in college should change that - the downside far outweighs the upside.

2nd round rookie pick.should make more than 500k, no? Montgomery made 750k-ish this year as a 3rd round pick

I'm not familiar with booster money amounts... is it conceivable that he found 1 million dollars in his mailbox? 
Depending on where in 2nd round, bonus of 1.3 to 3.5 mill guaranteed.

Is the school allowed to insure him against future earnings loss?  Or is that an NCAA infraction?  Agreed it seems a really bad decision in his case.

Why is it better than him coming out now and someone getting him this season?
What I'm saying is you don't always know a players character which makes FF drafting hit or miss for a lot of owners. I'll go way back to when Robert Meachem declared. They asked him why and his dumb answer was "I'm cashing in". Well he was a bum because he was not devoted. As soon as he said that, i crossed him off my list. I took high character Greg Olsen over him.

Seems this move by Entienne is the opposite. He want to finish the job at Clemson rather than just 'cash in'. next year if one has to decide between him and some 'came out of nowhere junior RB', you take Entienne because you know he will work at it.

It's why I took DK Metcalf #1. The guy is a student of the game and those are the guys that usually last the longest.

He’s either a first round prospect or he’s not - nothing he does next season in college should change that - the downside far outweighs the upside.
I can't personally say this is true. A lot of his game is sort of similar to Ronald Jones last year at USC. Explosive backs who are not overly big but many people have said is terrible in pass protection and a poor route runner.  If he can take big advancements in pass pro and route running I do think his stock could take jump that is big enough to vault him into the first round, assuming he's not now.

Saying all that I posted yesterday comping the pay of 2nd/3rd round picks Miles/Montgomery vs Josh Jacobs and even if his draft position was as low as Miles/Montgomery and the next year he improves it to where Jacobs went I still struggle to see where it makes sense especially with so many risks and variables involved. But I do think his draft stock can pick up next year, just not enough to make losing that year of income and delaying that second contract a year.

my guess is he was given a grade as the RB4, late 2nd rounder. He figured he could be a 1st next year, which salary is a big difference for a first. 14 carries a game isnt going to put too much wear.

I agree, it's stupid, but the above is probably the crap he was fed
Not near enough to make up for the extra year in salary + earlier more lucrative second contract at a younger age.

lod001 said:
What I'm saying is you don't always know a players character which makes FF drafting hit or miss for a lot of owners. I'll go way back to when Robert Meachem declared. They asked him why and his dumb answer was "I'm cashing in". Well he was a bum because he was not devoted. As soon as he said that, i crossed him off my list. I took high character Greg Olsen over him.

Seems this move by Entienne is the opposite. He want to finish the job at Clemson rather than just 'cash in'. next year if one has to decide between him and some 'came out of nowhere junior RB', you take Entienne because you know he will work at it.

It's why I took DK Metcalf #1. The guy is a student of the game and those are the guys that usually last the longest.
Big negative for being stupid. It’s like Microsoft offering you a million dollar job and turning it down to finish your degree. Very, very dumb. You can finish your degree anytime but that million dollar job may never come again. Money doesn’t buy happiness but is buys you the choice of doing anything and living anywhere in the world. 

Did he get an evaluation that suggested maybe he wouldn't be drafted as highly as he expected?  Really struggling to understand his decision.

Users who are viewing this thread