What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ty Chandler, MIN (1 Viewer)

Less competition for Chandler in Minnesota. Or, Hunt’s about to get signed there.

@FieldYates
The Vikings have released RB Myles Gaskin.
EDIT:

Disregard the above:

It's a procedural move, and he's not going anywhere. He would revert to the practice squad tomorrow and be elevated to the active roster for Sunday's game against the Buccaneers.

Last edited:
Ty Chandler rushed three times for zero yards in the Vikings’ Week 1 loss to the Buccaneers, adding one reception for 18 additional yards.

Chandler ceded the majority of backfield carries to Alexander Mattison in Week 1, first entering the game in the second quarter. He hardly saw any snaps the rest of the Vikings’ loss to the Buccaneers. Chandler is Mattison’s handcuff heading into a Week 2 matchup with the Bears.

- Rotoworld

Minny is too hit or miss with the RBs. sometime you're the bug sometimes you're the windshield. today, minny's backfield was the bug.
their defense sucks too, should be brought up on charges letting baker damn mayfield toast you like that? wow.

I'm hearing speculation that the Vikings might pivot to Chandler due to Mattison's underwhelming output.

Anything to see here before it happens and the price jumps? I can't tell if the speculation is based on anything coming out of MN, or just the "assumption of rational coaching" on the part of fantasy pundits.

I'm hearing speculation that the Vikings might pivot to Chandler due to Mattison's underwhelming output.

Anything to see here before it happens and the price jumps? I can't tell if the speculation is based on anything coming out of MN, or just the "assumption of rational coaching" on the part of fantasy pundits.
link?

That sounds more like someone trying to wish it into existence on Twitter/x. Whether it be a fan of the team or a FF player, I don't see any reports from the team on Chandler at all. And his usage is non existent right now.

link?
I mean . . . I'd have to link you to the Audible podcast. More than one of them. Still want it? I'll try to dig it up and give you a time stamp, but . . . might take a little time.

link?
I mean . . . I'd have to link you to the Audible podcast. More than one of them. Still want it? I'll try to dig it up and give you a time stamp, but . . . might take a little time.
No need makes sense.

Bloom is pals with Charch who was saying the Vikings GM/coaches like Chandler during preseason.

In my view this opinion is pretty obvious, they drafted him and likely planned to let Cook go after last season around that time as well.

Doesnt mean anything though, they liked Mattison as their starter this season too and the offensive line still sucks.

Bigger news is the Vikings did sign a guard recently who couldnt hurt. At least it shows they realize they need to do something to improve their offensive line.

My baseless speculation is they’ll rally around Mattison after the hate messages he received, and try to put him in position to succeed as much as possible for at least the first half of the Chargers game. If it’s still not happening for him, maybe we see a change in the second half of that game.

My baseless speculation is they’ll rally around Mattison after the hate messages he received, and try to put him in position to succeed

Narratives are fun and I created the same one in my head as you.

It's a big game for Mattison and if he can't get going in his first plus matchup of the year it will be concerning for his value going forward and make Chandler considerably more intriguing. I'd add that Hunt signing in Cleveland, considering their past interest, is already a good outcome for Chandler's potential value/role. As obviously if Mattison can't get it going they won't have much choice but to turn to Chandler, I don't see anyone left on the streets who is a threat.

I would love to be wrong about this, but based on my view of how the Vikings have been managed with the new GM and coach I am not optimistic about Chandler being any good either.

I don't think it takes any inside information to deduct that Mattison's slow start opens the door for Chandler to see some added opportunity. I also agree that based on what we are seeing it's tough to see Chandler doing much better.

The Vikings did sign Dalton Risner. Who has been a decent guard in the past. Of course one has to wonder why he was still a free agent at the start of the season.

It would not be hard for him or a lot of players to be better than Ed Ingram though, who at this point looks like a bad pick for a 3rd round lineman.

Ezra Cleveland has been up and down. Sometimes he has played well. Other times not. When he plays bad it usually seems to be when Darrisaw is out. He overcompensates for that when he cant trust the left tackle play.

Garrett Bradbury also up and down. Usually bad, although he did seem to play better last season. Schlottman likely not better than Bradbury either.

Focus seems to be more on pass blocking than run blocking which makes sense for what they want to do. Neither aspect has been good.

The Vikings got cute and traded Lowe to the Patriots for a 6th round pick and likely wish they hadnt done that now.

The scouting report on Risner is that he's better in pass blocking than the run, but have to think any change is a good thing.

I begrudgingly moved on from this dynasty spot, adding Demario Douglas. Ideally, I would have liked to stick this out a bit longer. It's not exactly a mortal sin for a team to have a punchless running attack against Tampa and Philly. But no, I don't have a lot of faith in this offensive line, coach, or GM to do a 180. They're the pass happy offense we thought they were. I still think that Chandler can get more opportunity and be useful for fantasy. I generally play for ceiling with these end of roster bench spots and I chose to keep Likely, Zeke, McLaughlin, Vaughn on roster ahead of Chandler. Chandler probably has the better chance of becoming a useful 7-9 ppg player than any of them except Zeke, but it's hard to tell the story where he ascends to a must-start fantasy RB2. I might be wrong, but feels like it would be a mess of a committee if Mattison were to get knocked out. I'm a little surprised that Mattison has dominated usage over Chandler as much as he has through two weeks.

And with that I return Chandler to the waiver wire.

Yep. Ty Chandler, welcome to the watch list. Will leave this backfield to the Mattison and Akers owners. Can't say I'd be very excited about either compared to where they were sitting coming in to this season. I just don't think these fields will be very fertile for RB success.

As I just said in the Mitchell thread Chandler scored off a wildcat play that was a complete surprise to the Saints defense and he didn't do much else.

Vikings run blocking has not been good all year. So I am skeptical of increased workload for Chandler helping much.

If Jefferson is back, which is possible then maybe Chandler has more room to run in that scenario.

I went back and checked the game log.

Chandler had one run of 11 yards and another run of 13 yards besides the TD so maybe he deserves more credit than I thought.

I just was remembering how often he was stopped later on in the game. Which he was. But not as much as I was thinking previously.

Chandler had one run of 11 yards and another run of 13 yards besides the TD so maybe he deserves more credit than I thought.

I just was remembering how often he was stopped later on in the game. Which he was. But not as much as I was thinking previously.
It doesn’t count of course but he also took a 30-yarder to the house but got it called back due to a penalty by Brian O’Neill. And I seem to remember the Saints defense being fairly tough against the run in general. The Colts the only team that have given them any trouble in that regard this season. The Vikings play the Broncos who are the worst run defense in the NFL at this point in the season.

Last edited:
As I just said in the Mitchell thread Chandler scored off a wildcat play that was a complete surprise to the Saints defense and he didn't do much else.

Vikings run blocking has not been good all year. So I am skeptical of increased workload for Chandler helping much.

If Jefferson is back, which is possible then maybe Chandler has more room to run in that scenario.
Gotta love a RB getting a successful wildcat snap in the RZ though. That's points baby! More of that against a bad Denver run defense and we're golden.

Gotta love a RB getting a successful wildcat snap in the RZ though. That's points baby! More of that against a bad Denver run defense and we're golden.
It's a new wrinkle the Vikings put on tape because of Dobbs speed being a more credible threat.

There was a designed run with Dobbs with Chandler leading the way.

It's good to see the Vikings innovating and adding new plays tailored to Dobbs strengths. I really like seeing that.

That said they may not run Wlidcat again this season.

It doesn’t count of course but he also took a 29-yarder to the house but got it called back due to a penalty by Brian O’Neill. And I seem to remember the Saints defense being fairly tough against the run in general. The Colts the only team that have given them any trouble in that regard this season. The Vikings play the Broncos who are the worst run defense in the NFL at this point in the season.
This is a good point.

I keep being skeptical of the Vikings and they keep pleasantly surprising me.

It's a new wrinkle the Vikings put on tape because of Dobbs speed being a more credible threat.

It's good to see the Vikings innovating and adding new plays tailored to Dobbs strengths. I really like seeing that.

I've been down on the Vikings RBs all season but Dobbs' rushing ability gives them a new wrinkle and could open up lanes they didn't get with immobile Cousins. True, they may not run the wildcat, but they may not have to. Watch the game summary from last week's Buffalo/Denver game and you'll see how bad this Broncos rush defense is. Murray looked 5 years younger out there and Cook actually got over 100 despite 2 fumbles. I'd lean starting every RB against Denver from here on out.

I've been down on the Vikings RBs all season but Dobbs' rushing ability gives them a new wrinkle and could open up lanes they didn't get with immobile Cousins. True, they may not run the wildcat, but they may not have to. Watch the game summary from last week's Buffalo/Denver game and you'll see how bad this Broncos rush defense is. Murray looked 5 years younger out there and Cook actually got over 100 despite 2 fumbles. I'd lean starting every RB against Denver from here on out.
Interesting.

I have heard Denvers been improving but I have not paid attention to their last game vs the Bills at all.

I agree with your point about Dobbs. The Saints started spying him after he scored that TD run on them. What a fantastic play by Dobbs there. I can't say enough good things about how he did that. Climbing the pocket getting the defense to focus to the left side of the field (for them) then spin move and back running to the left. The fake pointing downfield and then a juke to beat Taylor (who was spying him) to the corner.

Just a remarkable sequence of great moves to fake out the defense on that play.

It definitely gives defenders more to worry about.

If Jefferson plays too.. it's going to be another threat to deal with and Chandler is going to be the least of their concerns.

Starting Chandler in 1 league where I have Higgins out & a couple guys on BYE. Timing couldn’t have been better & given Mattison’s somewhat pedestrian numbers this year, it’s possible that he gets Wally Pipp’d with a good showing by Ty.

Starting Chandler in 1 league where I have Higgins out & a couple guys on BYE. Timing couldn’t have been better & given Mattison’s somewhat pedestrian numbers this year, it’s possible that he gets Wally Pipp’d with a good showing by Ty.
I don’t think they were ever sold on Mattison since Cook left.

Has Mattison been ruled out?

Assume Chandler is only in play if Mattison can't answer the bell.

Has Mattison been ruled out?

Assume Chandler is only in play if Mattison can't answer the bell.
He is in concussion protocol. It seemed like Osborn was cleared and he had a full practice but they still didn't play him. I kind of thought they might.

I also read Purdy was the only player in the NFL to play the week after having a concussion in the NFL. Not sure if that is still the case or not but it seems teams give players with this injury at least one game off whether they clear protocol or not now.

So Mattison is likely out.

I will check Mattisons practice status, but as I said Osborn didn't play even though he was cleared.

FWIW Mattison had a limited practice today. So he has not cleared protocol yet.
Completely unrelated but whenever I read your screen name I subconsciously think I’m seeing “Biakabutuka”. Pretty sure I had him in one of my Yahoo leagues back in 1999. What a time that was.

Thanks for the update. I have Chandler penciled in as my flex but I may back out of it if Mattison gets cleared between now and Sunday.

Completely unrelated but whenever I read your screen name I subconsciously think I’m seeing “Biakabutuka”. Pretty sure I had him in one of my Yahoo leagues back in 1999. What a time that was.

Thanks for the update. I have Chandler penciled in as my flex but I may back out of it if Mattison gets cleared between now and Sunday.
That is where the name comes from. I was a big fan of Biakabatuka back in the day.

When I drafted him as a rookie people were like who? And they could not pronounce his name. So I got a lot of laughs out of that.

That is where the name comes from. I was a big fan of Biakabatuka back in the day.

When I drafted him as a rookie people were like who? And they could not pronounce his name. So I got a lot of laughs out of that.
Oh nice! I remember making it a point to memorize how his full name was spelled too. Tshimanga “Tim” Biakabutuka.

Oh nice! I remember making it a point to memorize how his full name was spelled too. Tshimanga “Tim” Biakabutuka.
we used to call people biotchabatukas. carry on.

we used to call people biotchabatukas. carry on.
Yeah Lil John can't pronounce it either.

I thought that if he hasn't cleared it yet, then he can't participate at all...
Huh. Maybe.

Limited practice means individual drills.

There are steps in completing concussion protocol. I don't know all the details of that.

He likely did need to clear some parts of it to do limited practice. There would be more steps to do full practice.

Eta - there are 5 steps of the protocol. Light practice would be steps 2 to 4 which is light cardio to individual drills and the player is evaluated after each step to see if any signs of concussion symptoms are found after the light practice. The final step allows the player to do full practice which is team activities which includes contact with tackling dummies and so on. Then they evaluate again for concussion symptoms after this before clearing the player to play if they found nothing.

So Mattison is in step 2-4 right now. Full practice would be next then final evaluation to clear him to play.

Last edited:
Huh. Maybe.

There are steps in completing concussion protocol. I don't know all the details of that.

He likely did need to clear some parts of it to do limited practice. There would be more steps to do full practice.

Eta - there are 5 steps of the protocol. Light practice would be steps 2 to 4 which is light cardio to individual drills and the player is evaluated after each step to see if any signs of concussion symptoms are found after the light practice. The final step allows the player to do full practice which is team activities which includes contact with tackling dummies and so on. Then they evaluate again for concussion symptoms after this before clearing the player to play if they found nothing.

So Mattison is in step 2-4 right now. Full practice would be next then final evaluation to clear him to play.
Limited practice won't put him on the field this week. I highly doubt Mattison will get cleared on Saturday. It's rare for a player to clear the initial week of a concussion. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it is unlikely.

Huh. Maybe.

Limited practice won't put him on the field this week. I highly doubt Mattison will get cleared on Saturday. It's rare for a player to clear the initial week of a concussion. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it is unlikely.
I agree.

Just trying to answer FunkyPlutos question.

Yes Mattison cleared the initial step to be allowed limited practice which has no risk of contact from other players. But that he is still in the protocol which is 5 steps to clear.

The 5th step is full practice with 11 on 11 and while they are not tackling to the ground, there is some contact there and players flying around who could bump into him at high speed still.

We have the example of Osborn from last week who was cleared for full practice, so he was almost through all 5 steps but he still did not play vs the Saints.

Mattison isn't that far along in the protocol yet.

Users who are viewing this thread