What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ty'son Williams, BAL (1 Viewer)

Louis Riddick

@LRiddickESPN

What’s happening to the RB room with #Ravens is brutal and makes you sick. Injuries suck. In every way. Opportunity comes for those next in line - the nature of the game. Remember the name Ty’Son Williams. #34. This young man has size, quicks, speed, big time breakout ability.

Have to see who they sign, but if not a big threat, could be a boon to Williams’ playing time if the coaching staff doesn’t want to overwork Gus and risk him getting hurt as well.

Hill getting hurt and McCrary getting claimed by Denver makes it near certain that they will sign somebody.  Gurley and Bell are most likely, but probably next Monday…

I think it’s referring to Williams, not Bell. 

“him” is a little nebulous. 
I assumed he meant Williams.

I just can’t see spending 20% of a ww budget on a guy who might get 40% of the carries (unless Gus gets hurt) especially before the season has started. And in a team that is very likely to sign another RB

I assumed he meant Williams.

I just can’t see spending 20% of a ww budget on a guy who might get 40% of the carries (unless Gus gets hurt) especially before the season has started. And in a team that is very likely to sign another RB
Ah - yes, that too. When I first read it I thought he meant Bell, so it made more sense for Williams. But I agree that’s way too much. 

Williams have more upside than Gio in ppr?
Arguably, maybe. 

IF Baltimore doesn’t bring in someone better, Williams is the presumed next in line to a maybe not too bad Gus. 

Bernard is mired in a very capable RBBC, albeit with the receiving role locked up. 

I’m not saying I’d drop Bernard for Williams if that’s the question, but just looking at a path to relevance, if Gus tweaks something, Williams is going to see a lot of work. 

That’s all as of right now. And it all goes out the window of Baltimore signs someone competent. 

Ah - yes, that too. When I first read it I thought he meant Bell, so it made more sense for Williams. But I agree that’s way too much. 
There’s risk with Williams of course, but I don’t think it would be outrageous for some one to spend 20% of their budget for Edwards’ level production from last year and of course there’s a chance for more if Edwards goes down or if he shows to be better in a secondary role than as the lead back. This is the best rushing offense in the league.

Arguably, maybe. 

IF Baltimore doesn’t bring in someone better, Williams is the presumed next in line to a maybe not too bad Gus. 

Bernard is mired in a very capable RBBC, albeit with the receiving role locked up. 

I’m not saying I’d drop Bernard for Williams if that’s the question, but just looking at a path to relevance, if Gus tweaks something, Williams is going to see a lot of work. 

That’s all as of right now. And it all goes out the window of Baltimore signs someone competent. 

agree with this.  I guess it depends on your roster but I view Williams as a lottery ticket with high potential upside if things break right: team that runs a TON, great training camp, a backup to a backup (Gus Edwards is fine but he's not a great talent)...so if Edwards goes down or Williams plays better he could have a very high ceiling vs Gio who may have a higher floor but there's is ZERO chance he can help win your league.  

If you need more of a reliable flex player maybe stick with Gio but if you want lottery tickets on your bench spots (like me) it's not even close.

Don’t disagree. He looked terrible in KC. 
Watched every play. He didn’t look toast. Wasn’t arguing that he was great. He looked like a mediocre back with above average skills as a receiver. Given a consistent workload in Baltimore, it’s not hard to see him having some value there given the lack of proven production for Edwards as a receiver and Williams in general. 

Watched every play. He didn’t look toast. Wasn’t arguing that he was great. He looked like a mediocre back with above average skills as a receiver. Given a consistent workload in Baltimore, it’s not hard to see him having some value there given the lack of proven production for Edwards as a receiver and Williams in general. 
I just don't think Bell's style fits what the Ravens do.  Gus is much better as the battering ram and letting Lamar play off of that for the open spaces.  Bell and his dancing style seems like a bad fit in that offense - especially when you consider he has fallen off quite a bit in his abilities.  

You saw something different than most analysts and NFL personnel people (there’s a reason why he’s still a free agent) - but if you’re still a believer in Bell then that’s good for you as you can get him very cheap.

Put me in the camp that if they lose Edwards to injuries they just run way less....

Lamar isn't exactly Mahomes as a passer...the Ravens have had their offensive philosophy a long time and I don't think injuries will change the way they think they need to play to win.  If push comes to shove they'll make a trade / sign someone as the season wears on.

I see their zone blocking system as more of a 1-cut and go back for the preferred RB style. 

That’s the opposite of Bell’s game. Not sure if it was in response to PIT’s weak OL, or simply Bell’s run style, but he’s pretty much the opposite of that with his hesitation step.

it was a bad fit in KC & I suspect it’s an even worse fit in Baltimore. 

I’m not sure why they even brought him in, TBH. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You saw something different than most analysts and NFL personnel people (there’s a reason why he’s still a free agent) - but if you’re still a believer in Bell then that’s good for you as you can get him very cheap.
I saw the same thing they saw. Mediocre back not worth the potential headache. I’m not trying to buy Bell; I’m worried about Williams’ role. Hence posting in the Williams thread. 

I saw the same thing they saw. Mediocre back not worth the potential headache. I’m not trying to buy Bell; I’m worried about Williams’ role. Hence posting in the Williams thread. 
Sure. Obviously if they sign Bell, it would have some effect on Williams’ role. No one really knows how good Williams will be when the real season starts. I’m pretty sure Bell is cooked but even with that it’s not impossible he’s better than Williams.

Sure. Obviously if they sign Bell, it would have some effect on Williams’ role. No one really knows how good Williams will be when the real season starts. I’m pretty sure Bell is cooked but even with that it’s not impossible he’s better than Williams.
Or, at the very least, siphons carries at whatever level of competence. 

At this moment, Williams is the presumed RB2 for the run-heaviest team in football, with only Gus in front of him. 

A bell signing would hurt both of their values because of the potential for splitting the workload even further. 

So to me it doesn’t really matter what Bell has left. If he’s signed, Williams value takes a hit (and possibly Gus) 

Washed or not, Bell has enough pedigree to potentially top the depth chart. From there, his ability to perform will determine how it shakes out, but there’s a non-zero chance it tanks the value of Gus & Williams at least early in the season. 

Hill getting hurt and McCrary getting claimed by Denver makes it near certain that they will sign somebody.  Gurley and Bell are most likely, but probably next Monday…
If they sign Gurley would you expect him to be the bell cow and Edwards revert to change of pace? 

I own no Edwards but did grab Williams at 16:1 as a flyer.  Wondering if it would be a good move to dump him and take Gurley NOW before a deal is struck and get ahead of the curve.

If they sign Gurley would you expect him to be the bell cow and Edwards revert to change of pace? 

I own no Edwards but did grab Williams at 16:1 as a flyer.  Wondering if it would be a good move to dump him and take Gurley NOW before a deal is struck and get ahead of the curve.
Gurley is a shell of his former self. I doubt he’s ever going to be a bell cow back again because his chronically arthritic knees can’t handle that workload. 

He (or whomever) would absolutely hurt Williams & Edwards value merely by siphoning carries.

But it would likely be short-loved, as Gurley is pretty washed at this point. It would be shocking to see him come back to anything resembling dominance. 

Gurley is a shell of his former self. I doubt he’s ever going to be a bell cow back again because his chronically arthritic knees can’t handle that workload. 

He (or whomever) would absolutely hurt Williams & Edwards value merely by siphoning carries.

But it would likely be short-loved, as Gurley is pretty washed at this point. It would be shocking to see him come back to anything resembling dominance. 
the only thing Gurley did decent last year was getting 9 short yardage TDs...other than that he was useless.  I was a big fan of his and hoping he could still play but the Rams let him walk and then his 3.5 ypc last year indicate he's done.

Lamar isn't exactly Mahomes as a passer...the Ravens have had their offensive philosophy a long time and I don't think injuries will change the way they think they need to play to win.  If push comes to shove they'll make a trade / sign someone as the season wears on.

They might make a trade for sure or they might run lamar more or the offense might just suffer

I just don't think this guy is anything to be excited about.  In the absence of all the other backs I don't see him being the solution

they aren't bringing in Leveon Bell.  that would be bananas.  He's pretty much toast as a player and is a distraction.  even if they did, he's not taking any touches away from the top two unless there are further injuries.

Jamesinaz said:
OK, leaving Gurley for the waiver wires.  My opinion on Bell was similar.  Not the same guy as his heydey in PIT.
Agreed.  I would look to either Gore or Peterson before Gurley or Bell.  At least you know what you are getting.  

Users who are viewing this thread