What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Cordarrelle Patterson, PIT (2 Viewers)

Norv sucks. Look at Rivers after he left.
Look at Rivers while Norv was there. 2012 was an outlier in which he was sacked a career high--by a lot--49 times. Other than that, he put up monster numbers.

And 2012 was the only year of Norv's 6 in SD, in which the team wasn't top 5 in points.

Minnesota is currently 28th in the NFL in total offense. Clearly, something needs to change.
I would generally reserve the "great offensive mind" statement for guys that can adapt and change their system for the personnel they have onboard. Think Chip Kelly putting together a top 3 offense with a pocket passer when his whole career has been running offenses built around running QBs.

Norv seems like one of those guys who has a system, and while it's a good one, that's the system he's going to run. Personnel be damned. When he has great players at the positions that his system stresses, it works well. When he doesn't, well, you get Matt Asiata banging his head into the line of scrimmage with your two most talented receivers both playing positions they struggle in on your way to the 28th ranked offense in the league.
Of course Minny is awful on offense--look at the roster. Something does need to change; they need talent.

I'm fine with anyone who doesn't respect Norv the level that I do. And I'd agree--Chip looks brilliant right now and he has a chance to change the game much more than Norv has. I respect the hell out of Chip for having the stones to do what he's done--let alone it working.

As for him playing his guys at the wrong spots--CP's slot numbers are inflated due to a few plays which aren't sustainable. Jennings has played flanker/slot his entire career and been productive--it's his natural position.
:shrug:

Philly's roster looked pretty bad when Chip came onboard too.

Eagles heading into 2013: stud RB, below average veteran QB, young QB with talent that hadn't shown much yet, below average WRs, 15th in offense the year before.

Vikings heading into 2014: stud RB, below average veteran QB, rookie QB with talent that hadn't played yet, below average WRs, 13th in offense the year before.

Granted, Norv lost his stud RB early, but I don't think anyone is claiming the Vikes would be a top offense with Peterson in there right now. The Eagles finished 2nd in offense that year, the Vikings are currently 28th.

FunkyPlutos said:
Norv doesn't pass block...and neither does the Vikings' O-line.
Good point. The Minn oline is ranked as the worst, 32nd, pass blocking unit in the NFL right now. On top of it Bridgewater is ranked as the worst starting QB in the NFL. The only guys to have worse rankings are Cassel and Henne and neither are playing any more. Essentially, Minn has had the worst QB plY and oline play for the passing game all season. This offense is all sorts of F'd up right now. Ironically, Minn is ranked 8th for run blocking. So they are doing that well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Cordarrelle Patterson (hip) is active for Sunday's Week 7 game against the Bills.

Patterson will return to an every-down role after playing limited snaps last week. The Vikings inactives are TE Kyle Rudolph, FB Zach Line, RG David Yankey, LB Gerald Hodges, DE Corey Wooten, LB Brandon Watts, and OL Austin Wentworth.

Oct 19 - 11:40 AM

Rotoworld:

Cordarrelle Patterson (hip) is active for Sunday's Week 7 game against the Bills.

Patterson will return to an every-down role after playing limited snaps last week. The Vikings inactives are TE Kyle Rudolph, FB Zach Line, RG David Yankey, LB Gerald Hodges, DE Corey Wooten, LB Brandon Watts, and OL Austin Wentworth.

Oct 19 - 11:40 AM
I am not a big Cordarelle fan by any means. I don't own him on any teams--but I have to say that I think that he has already bottomed out. Bridgewater and him need time to develop chemistry and the reports seem to indicate that patterson is getting healthy. I don't see wr1 or wr2 material here---but I definitely would not be surprised if Patterson finishes the season out as a decently solid WR3 with a couple big games mixed in.

BUF has a stout run defense and a swiss cheese secondary. I think he at least has a shot to do something this week I just don't think anyone can/should trust him.

Rotoworld:

Cordarrelle Patterson had two catches for nine yards and a touchdown in Sunday's Week 7 loss to the Bills.

He was targeted four times. Patterson scored on a four-yard bubble screen in the second quarter, but it was an otherwise quiet game. He'll remain just a boom-or-bust WR4 in Week 8 against the Bucs.

Oct 19 - 5:21 PM

TBAY up next - If they gave him the ball I could see him carving this game up.

Tavon Austin had 5 carries last week - CPATT getting 1 a game? C'mon man!!!

In his rookie season he scored 9 TD's - I just don't know what is going so wrong this year. They need to get him the ball 6-7 times a game period.

If you're ever going to start him, you'd have to think this is the week to do it. And I am.
Over who?
At the flex over Crowell, Dixon, Jeremy Hill, Moncrief.
With Wayne out you have to look at Feeeeed Moncrief here now, right?
I wouldn't count on it. I think you will simply see a lot more 2 TE sets. Allen and Fleener compliment each other very well. Moncrief may see some snaps, but I wouldn't count on more than 4-5 targets for the game. I see more of an uptick for the TE's.

I have to think there's more to the hip injury than we know, tbh. He finished well last season and clearly has the talent to be better than what we are seeing now. I'm patient, but he's benched for Baldwin this week, and starting in another league where my team is about as horrible as any I've ever managed.

He's totaled 37 yards rushing/receiving over the past three games. I don't know any other player you would realistically consider starting after having 3 games like that, but best of luck to those of you who choose to roll with him. I hope he puts up a big game. If he doesn't show something this week I think it's finally time to move on.

He's totaled 37 yards rushing/receiving over the past three games. I don't know any other player you would realistically consider starting after having 3 games like that, but best of luck to those of you who choose to roll with him. I hope he puts up a big game. If he doesn't show something this week I think it's finally time to move on.
This. Plus, he sucked before the hip injury. He's just sucked all season and there's really no point in trying to justify it anymore..it is what it is. That being said I'm pretty much forced to start him this week, plus I also got destroyed by Sanders last night so I feel like swinging for the fences (other options are similarly as ####ty). If he does blow up, it will be a seriously flukish event, where he scores a return TD and probably a rushing TD, tallying all of his points on only a handful of plays. I'm cautiously optimistic, mostly because TB's secondary is hot garbage.

Rotoworld:

Cordarrelle Patterson left the stadium Sunday with a walking boot on his left foot.

"No, man, it's nothing serious. Just got banged up on kickoff," Patterson said. He had his best day as a wideout this season, catching six passes for 86 yards as the Vikings beat the Bucs in overtime. The boot appears precautionary, but it's something to monitor ahead of a nice Week 9 matchup against the Redskins.

Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press

Oct 26 - 9:37 PM

He got a lot more looks this week and looked....just ok. He had a really nice catch in traffic on the sidelines where he showed great hands. At the same time, his longest gain of the day came on a play where he was wide open and badly bobbled an easy pass, which probably should've been ruled incomplete (he stepped out of bounds while bobbling it) but the review wasn't quite conclusive enough to overturn it. He also drew a PI on one of the targets that was an incompletion.

Still not being used around the LoS. Got one carry on an end around, I'm still not sure why they won't just line him up in the backfield and give him the ball a couple times a game. The Vikes used to do that with Harvin even when they had Peterson, but they'd rather run Asiata into the back of the line than Patterson. They also ran 3 WR screens on the day, none of them targeting Patterson :wall:

Still probably not a lot to be optimistic about for the rest of this season with them still not getting him involved around the LoS. Teddy definitely seems to be looking his way first instead of Wright's now, though, so at least that's something.

Last edited by a moderator:
He got a lot more looks this week and looked....just ok. He had a really nice catch in traffic on the sidelines where he showed great hands. At the same time, his longest gain of the day came on a play where he was wide open and badly bobbled an easy pass, which probably should've been ruled incomplete (he stopped out of bounds while bobbling it) but the review wasn't quite conclusive enough to overturn it. He also drew a PI on one of the targets that was an incompletion.

Still not being used around the LoS. Got one carry on an end around, I'm still not sure why they won't just line him up in the backfield and give him the ball a couple times a game. The Vikes used to do that with Harvin even when they had Peterson, but they'd rather run Asiata into the back of the line than Patterson. They also ran 3 WR screens on the day, none of them targeting Patterson :wall:

Still probably not a lot to be optimistic about for the rest of this season with them still not getting him involved around the LoS. Teddy definitely seems to be looking his way first instead of Wright's now, though, so at least that's something.
It was a good game for him. He got open downfield and made some plays on deeper developing routes. On his run when he first took that handoff I thought to myself. Crap, that play is going nowhere. Somehow this guy still got that corner and made a sick cut to get upfield for 10 yds.

They simply have to get him the bal more at the LOS, like you said. He is crazy good with the ball in his hands. It jumps off the screen like few I've ever seen.

As a LongTimeSufferingVikingFan I am not sure what to think of him. This O looks pretty vanilla and I don't see it changing anytime soon. They are young, very young. The biggest thing I would like to see from CP is toughness. And of course improved route running.

He got a lot more looks this week and looked....just ok. He had a really nice catch in traffic on the sidelines where he showed great hands. At the same time, his longest gain of the day came on a play where he was wide open and badly bobbled an easy pass, which probably should've been ruled incomplete (he stopped out of bounds while bobbling it) but the review wasn't quite conclusive enough to overturn it. He also drew a PI on one of the targets that was an incompletion.

It was a good game for him. He got open downfield and made some plays on deeper developing routes.On his run when he first took that handoff I thought to myself. Crap, that play is going nowhere. Somehow this guy still got that corner and made a sick cut to get upfield for 10 yds.

They simply have to get him the bal more at the LOS, like you said. He is crazy good with the ball in his hands. It jumps off the screen like few I've ever seen.
The cut/burst combination on that play to pick up those 10 yards was absolutely filthy.

Guys-again, this was the Bucs. Of course he was able to get open. Who hasn't against this sorry excuse for a secondary? I need to see this against Washington, too, before I even consider believing. In meantime, I may offer him up for a low-level player like Jonas Gray (I have Vereen).

He has 7 targets and 1 reception for 9 yards so far. He let a gimme long TD ride over his head in one of the most embarrassing plays I've seen this year.

Users who are viewing this thread