What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Cordarrelle Patterson, PIT (1 Viewer)

For reference and potentially of interest to Patterson owners, I just flipped him and CEH for Saquon Barkley.

ETA: FBG's trade analyzer said this was a huge mistake for me too, but I did it anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flash said:
Our commish is changing his position on MFL to RB.

I don't have him but I don't disagree with it
Did your league vote on it, or is he just doing it? 

What are other leagues doing where he is listed as a WR?

Is Patterson a late bloomer, or did the Vikings just not know how to use him?
Great question. It's not just the Vikings who never found a way to use him more often. Even the great Belichick didn't use him quite like this.

He's always been an explosive playmaker. You'd see it every once in a while when he'd go in at RB for Peterson or run a wildcat or reverse, and he's arguably the greatest kickoff returner the NFL has ever seen. Yet he's not a punt returner, and he was never used all that much as a receiver.

I'd really like to know what the difference is now, because every time I'd see him I'd think, "Why don't they get this guy the ball more often?"

Throwing out a theory in that it takes more than just physical talent to get on the field and sustain touches in the NFL. It's quite possible CP doesn't study/grasp the playbook as much as he should and he makes wrong reads or practices poorly. Even in this breakout season, he's not getting heavy snap counts compared to his output. He was out of the game on the potential game winning drive. There's something that holds him back. 

But whatever,  I'm just enjoying the ride while it lasts :)

just want to correct myself for a statement I made earlier... snap numbers came out and Patterson did not take a single snap at WR, which is asinine to me. You WR corps are barren after Ridley and you can't split Patterson out wide once? It's not like he can't run screens out wide as opposed to lining up in the backfield and motioning, or vice versa. He's going to bust in a big way one week if he continues to only play 30-ish percent of the snaps.

just want to correct myself for a statement I made earlier... snap numbers came out and Patterson did not take a single snap at WR, which is asinine to me. You WR corps are barren after Ridley and you can't split Patterson out wide once? It's not like he can't run screens out wide as opposed to lining up in the backfield and motioning, or vice versa. He's going to bust in a big way one week if he only plays 30-ish percent of the snaps.

In ATL he's been playing RB, HBack, Slot WR/TE, Wildcat. I don't recall any highlight plays from him as a Split End or Flanker, but I could be off on that. Definite worries on only ~30% of snaps tho. That said, he was literally an inch away from two 3-TD games in the first four to start 2021. Discount that all you want, but the eye in the sky supports the fantasy breakout side of this debate. He does need more snaps tho, to keep this train accelerating. Buy/sell high question rests on that particular detail IMO.

In ATL he's been playing RB, HBack, Slot WR/TE, Wildcat. I don't recall any highlight plays from him as a Split End or Flanker, but I could be off on that. Definite worries on only ~30% of snaps tho. That said, he was literally an inch away from two 3-TD games in the first four to start 2021. Discount that all you want, but the eye in the sky supports the fantasy breakout side of this debate. He does need more snaps tho, to keep this train accelerating. Buy/sell high question rests on that particular detail IMO.
Actually that's the point I'm making. Football Outsiders and NFL Lineups have him as playing zero snaps at WR this year. basically, he starts out as a RB and motions out wide or to the slot. However, you can get more utility out of him if he starts out as a WR and motioning him elsewhere/using him in the WR screen game.

Actually that's the point I'm making. Football Outsiders and NFL Lineups have him as playing zero snaps at WR this year. basically, he starts out as a RB and motions out wide or to the slot. However, you can get more utility out of him if he starts out as a WR and motioning him elsewhere/using him in the WR screen game.

The highlights I've posted in this thread don't support this. Check them out. There are plenty of examples of him lining up on the slot, including last weekend's 1st TD.

If he starts as a WR, he will get a different coverage from the defense (DB v LB). I want to see if defenses adjust. They have 4 weeks of game tape in him now.

Start of the Week

Cordarrelle Patterson vs. Jets (London 9:30 a.m. ET, NFL): Patterson is the No. 3 running back in fantasy football (not a typo) after four weeks, yet started in just 31 percent of Yahoo! leagues last week. That won’t be the case anymore, as the veteran faces a Jets defense that has allowed the most fantasy points to running backs this season. That includes the second-most receiving yards (288) to the position.

SI

CP struggled with route running in MN.  He was a stud with the ball in his hands, but he had issues getting the timing down with the QB's he's played with.  Atlanta maybe dumbed it down?

CP struggled with route running in MN.  He was a stud with the ball in his hands, but he had issues getting the timing down with the QB's he's played with.  Atlanta maybe dumbed it down?
his stuff seems much less based on timing, which I imagine is the part he wasn’t good at. They’re just asking him to get open, either in the flat or corner. 

The Frankman said:
I haven't watched all his snaps or anything,  but by starting him in the backfield they're trying to get him matched against a LB. If they start him out wide he'll be more likely to have a corner on him.  I think this is smart not dumb. Of course with his success teams might be more likely to adjust to this.  

Ridley not on the trip to London.  Gage also out.

As a guy with Pitts and Patterson…hoping they get fed this weekend but that London trip freaks me out 

So with Ridley out there will be extra emphasis on defending him--but he'll also get extra looks.  Net positive or negative?

I haven't watched all his snaps or anything,  but by starting him in the backfield they're trying to get him matched against a LB. If they start him out wide he'll be more likely to have a corner on him.  I think this is smart not dumb. Of course with his success teams might be more likely to adjust to this.  
Smaller quick corner vs. a bigger slower LB. It's just exploiting a different mismatch (speed vs. power) but it's still a mismatch. I mean right now they have no WRs outside of Olamide Zaccheaus, Tajae Sharpe and Christian Blake.

Smaller quick corner vs. a bigger slower LB. It's just exploiting a different mismatch (speed vs. power) but it's still a mismatch. I mean right now they have no WRs outside of Olamide Zaccheaus, Tajae Sharpe and Christian Blake.
Yeah I think they'd definitely prefer him vs. the bigger but slower guys. If he goes against the quicker,  smaller guys he'd rely more on his route running to get open.  Reading through this thread it seems like that has not been his strength.  So, they probably want him vs. the slower guys so his athletic ability can be enough. 

CP is an RB in our redraft league and I’ve been offered Ridley for him. Can’t see CP keeping up these numbers given his snap count. 

I have been offered D. Montgomery or Elijah Mitchell for CP in my 0.5 PPR  12 team league.  I have Jeff Wilson on IR......  debating it.....

I have been offered D. Montgomery or Elijah Mitchell for CP in my 0.5 PPR  12 team league.  I have Jeff Wilson on IR......  debating it.....
id wait until after the Jets game ,no Ridley or Gage could mean more targets than usual for CP....THEN  see what you can get.

Those 2 guys will still be there if you want them

Cordarrelle Patterson rushed 14 times for 54 yards and caught 7-of-9 targets for 60 yards in Week 5 against the Jets.

Patterson led the Falcons' backfield in carries for the first time this season. He also continued to be heavily involved in the pass game, with his nine targets behind only Kyle Pitts (10). The centerpiece of Atlanta's offense, Patterson is showing no signs of slowing down, posting over 100 total yards or a touchdown in every game since Week 1. Patterson's role will keep him in the RB2 mix for a matchup with Miami after Atlanta's Week 6 bye.

Oct 10, 2021, 1:40 PM ET

I am on board. My team is solid but struggling to get wins so I had to get crazy. I moved Aaron Jones for CPat and Chase Claypool. The RB/WR eligibility in Yahoo really helps for C-Pat as byes come. This is a really old school league that doesn't have a flex so every week I have had trouble figuring out whether to bench Jones, Gibson or Swift. Now I can start Gibson, Swift and CPat. It was a bold move but at 1-4, I had to do something. 

I am on board. My team is solid but struggling to get wins so I had to get crazy. I moved Aaron Jones for CPat and Chase Claypool. The RB/WR eligibility in Yahoo really helps for C-Pat as byes come. This is a really old school league that doesn't have a flex so every week I have had trouble figuring out whether to bench Jones, Gibson or Swift. Now I can start Gibson, Swift and CPat. It was a bold move but at 1-4, I had to do something. 
Only problem is CPat being on bye for your must-win game.

This week is no more must win then the week after. All my players have to have a bye at some point.
I don't agree. I think when you're 1-4, you sell out to win this week, then you sell out to win next week, then again the week after. The cardinal sin of fantasy football is losing a must-win game with assets on your bench. I would look to trade CPat for an upgrade to your lineup this week.

I don't agree. I think when you're 1-4, you sell out to win this week, then you sell out to win next week, then again the week after. The cardinal sin of fantasy football is losing a must-win game with assets on your bench. I would look to trade CPat for an upgrade to your lineup this week.
So I am supposed to make trades every week to avoid bye weeks? I feel fine with my team this week. I’m actually having trouble deciding who to start at my 3rd WR spot (where CPat would go) because I have so many good matchups. At this point my advantage is my depth when injures and bye weeks come. I traded Jones for CPat and might not have even played Jones this week if he was on my team.

So I am supposed to make trades every week to avoid bye weeks? I feel fine with my team this week. I’m actually having trouble deciding who to start at my 3rd WR spot (where CPat would go) because I have so many good matchups. At this point my advantage is my depth when injures and bye weeks come. I traded Jones for CPat and might not have even played Jones this week if he was on my team.
Then I’d trade that depth for better starters this week. Because your depth won’t matter if you don’t win this week. I’ve started 1-4 twice before in about 60 leagues played over 25 years. I’ve only missed the playoffs twice in those 60 leagues, and both times came down to the final week of the regular season. This is how I’ve done it when starting 1-3 or worse. I sold out to win every week. One of those times, after a 1-3 and 2-5 start, I barely took a rag-tag group into the playoffs after selling off all my big-name players and diluting my team multiple times to win the next game and get into the postseason, and I won the title. Because anything can happen if you get there, but you’ve got to do whatever it takes to get there first. That’s my philosophy when my team starts poorly.

Shrugs said:
Then I’d trade that depth for better starters this week. Because your depth won’t matter if you don’t win this week. I’ve started 1-4 twice before in about 60 leagues played over 25 years. I’ve only missed the playoffs twice in those 60 leagues, and both times came down to the final week of the regular season. This is how I’ve done it when starting 1-3 or worse. I sold out to win every week. One of those times, after a 1-3 and 2-5 start, I barely took a rag-tag group into the playoffs after selling off all my big-name players and diluting my team multiple times to win the next game and get into the postseason, and I won the title. Because anything can happen if you get there, but you’ve got to do whatever it takes to get there first. That’s my philosophy when my team starts poorly.
I hear you and I certainly am planning to try a bigger move to send 2-3 players for 1 but nobody was biting. I’m 3rd in points scored, just have been unlucky with matchups but 7 teams make the playoffs and I can very easily jumpy right back into the playoff mix. 

Patterson is a tough call for me.  Had the chance to acquire him for Pollard.  I passed.  

pollard is depth/insurance for Zeke, and theoretically, Patterson would become my WR2.  But I can’t help but think he’ll come back to earth and will cause me a weekly WDIS at WR2 & I’ll lose the Zeke cuff.  

probably the wrong decision, but I’d imagine I’m not the only ff manager thinking this way.

Patterson is a tough call for me.  Had the chance to acquire him for Pollard.  I passed.  

pollard is depth/insurance for Zeke, and theoretically, Patterson would become my WR2.  But I can’t help but think he’ll come back to earth and will cause me a weekly WDIS at WR2 & I’ll lose the Zeke cuff.  

probably the wrong decision, but I’d imagine I’m not the only ff manager thinking this way.
Guess it depends on your record and other players. But cuffs are overrated if you can get a guy who will start for you, and it sounds like as your WR2 no less.

It would be between him and Lockett.  I guess I just don’t trust Patterson.

And cuffs aren’t really over-rated in my league.  Deep benches; the best available RB are Jordan Wilkins and Benny snell.  If you lose a RB & don’t have a replacement in your bench, you’re in trouble.

A week off and where are we with Patterson? Sounds like some just aren't trusting his breakout and perhaps a regression to the mean? Or, he's one of those league winners and continues to shine. The game between ATL @ MIA seems like offensive scoring will go back and forth. Will it be more of a Ridley and Pitts game over Patterson? Tua to Waddle and Gesicki. I'd say both TE's will be heavily involved. 

Vegas has this game @ 47.5 and MIA at home -3 = 25.25 vs 22.25

I feel like this game will go over unless FG's become popular.

A week off and where are we with Patterson? Sounds like some just aren't trusting his breakout and perhaps a regression to the mean? Or, he's one of those league winners and continues to shine. The game between ATL @ MIA seems like offensive scoring will go back and forth. Will it be more of a Ridley and Pitts game over Patterson? Tua to Waddle and Gesicki. I'd say both TE's will be heavily involved. 

Vegas has this game @ 47.5 and MIA at home -3 = 25.25 vs 22.25

I feel like this game will go over unless FG's become popular.
I've been starting him in my flex since Week 3 and haven't thought twice about it. Hoping this game goes like you're expecting. Had to also pivot to Tua (Herbert on bye, Wentz potentially rough weather).

We also get return yardage points, so Patterson's rushes mixed in with his receptions make him score pretty nicely even if he doesn't get a TD. I'm really not concerned about breaking down his usage stats. Going by the eye test, this guy has always looked like an explosive play-maker to me. Now he's got a situation that's working for him. 

I've been starting him in my flex since Week 3 and haven't thought twice about it. Hoping this game goes like you're expecting. Had to also pivot to Tua (Herbert on bye, Wentz potentially rough weather).

We also get return yardage points, so Patterson's rushes mixed in with his receptions make him score pretty nicely even if he doesn't get a TD. I'm really not concerned about breaking down his usage stats. Going by the eye test, this guy has always looked like an explosive play-maker to me. Now he's got a situation that's working for him. 
I was fortunate to acquire one share of Patterson a while back and have been extremely thrilled at his production. I tried to trade for him in all my other leagues to no avail. My only dilemma this week is to start Patterson or C Hubbard in my DraftKings lineup in which I have a good start going in with D'Earnest Johnson scoring 27.8 at $4,800. Patterson is $6,300 and Hubbard $6,100. 

I wonder what will happen the rest of the year. As it was last week, Davis got the meaningful RB snaps at the end of the game at RB. Was that his chance to prove himself, or will the same thing happen if they are up by a lot going forward, if they are up. Until that point in the game I would have said Patterson took the #1 job, but the #1 back doesn't come out at a time like that do they?

I was fortunate to acquire one share of Patterson a while back and have been extremely thrilled at his production. I tried to trade for him in all my other leagues to no avail. My only dilemma this week is to start Patterson or C Hubbard in my DraftKings lineup in which I have a good start going in with D'Earnest Johnson scoring 27.8 at $4,800. Patterson is $6,300 and Hubbard $6,100. 
Well since I'm facing Hubbard I'd go with him, lol. 

I wonder what will happen the rest of the year. As it was last week, Davis got the meaningful RB snaps at the end of the game at RB. Was that his chance to prove himself, or will the same thing happen if they are up by a lot going forward, if they are up. Until that point in the game I would have said Patterson took the #1 job, but the #1 back doesn't come out at a time like that do they?
I guess since he's my flex normally, with Chubb and Aaron Jones as my regular RBs, it doesn't bother me too much. Patterson is not a classic RB for sure. But he's a versatile weapon on a bad team without a great OL or RB. He's got a veteran QB and Ridley/Pitts to draw attention and clear space. He gets matchups against LBs when he's a RB. Sometimes he's a slot WR or even a throwback wing in old-school offenses that can exist with a traditional I-formation or single-set RB. Game script will usually play in his favor also, so he'll get his touches. They aren't going to line up and wear down defenses all game with Davis, and I wouldn't want Patterson doing that anyway. Just think it's a perfect storm for a team to finally put his talents to use. He's never NOT been explosive in my eyes.

I am dropping Davis.  Seems Falcons are moving forward with Patterson.  Davis is worthless without volume.  He didn't even get the goal line looks when the Falcons were leading.

Users who are viewing this thread