What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (2 Viewers)

Notorious - 7.5 - Guy did a good job playing Biggy. My only problem is it paints Diddy out to be a saint. Maybe he was a good influence on him, but I think it being produced by Bad Boy may have somehing to do with it. Solid movie, but if you weren't interested in hip hop during this era it may not be for you.
might have to drink a 40 tonight and watch this illegally on my computer :lmao:
You gonna po' some out for yo' dead hommies?
Sure....the carpets stainproof

Burn After Reading

Loved this movie. It's basically Fargo meets the Big Lebowski. Brad Pitt was hillarious. As was John Malkovich. As was George Clooney.

I'm pretty surprised that nomarriage.com didn't sponser the movie.

I've never done internet dating before, but this I think this movie just inspired me to do so, just so I can get in a run at the end of every "date."

The only negative is that it's pretty short, only about an hour and a 1/2. But I guess that's also a positive since I didn't want it to end.

When comparing this to Juno, the last movie I saw, it's not even close. BAR >>>> Juno

4.5/5 stars

tried to watch two films last night...

"the rapture" with mimi rogers and a mulleted david duchovny. about a woman's conversion from a wild carefree life to that of a evangelic, born-again christian who awaits the rapture. felt very dated and not as psychologically deep as i had hoped. duchovny is as wooden an actor here as you will ever find. we turned it off after 40 mins or so.

"luther" with joseph feinnes as troublemaker martin luther. this film was financed by the lutheran church and it has an obvious bias because of that. feinnes tries to look thoughtful, serious and passionate but looks more ridiculous than anything. the script is wretched. the acting and directing amateurish. we turned this off after maybe 15 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Kingdom

Not bad. Garner's fight scene was the highlight. Her fight owed something to Patricia Arquette vs. James Gandolfini in True Romance. Still, pretty entertaining movie.

The Kingdom

Not bad. Garner's fight scene was the highlight. Her fight owed something to Patricia Arquette vs. James Gandolfini in True Romance. Still, pretty entertaining movie.
whenever people mention they have seen "the kingdom", i think they mean this. i am always a little disappointed when its not.

Saw Gran Turino yesterday.

Solid Eastwood work, as ever. Some great laughs. But. . . did anyone else get the feeling that it was a little obvious at parts? It was like watching "Good Movie for Dummies." Anyone else get that feeling?

Saw Gran Turino yesterday.Solid Eastwood work, as ever. Some great laughs. But. . . did anyone else get the feeling that it was a little obvious at parts? It was like watching "Good Movie for Dummies." Anyone else get that feeling?
Haven't seen Gran Turino yet, but Million Dollar Baby struck the same chord with me. Eastwood's direction is as solid as anyone's but sometimes it comes across as heavy handed and obvious.

The Kingdom

whenever people mention they have seen "the kingdom", i think they mean this. i am always a little disappointed when its not.
Sorry to disappoint.
i cannot recommend the series/movie strongly enough. it's a lot of fun. von trier's bark is much worse than his bite.

currently viewing The Assassination Of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Fordthis is the worst movie i have watched in years
Don't you mean it's the most overhyped movie you've watched in years? I am guessing you've seen far worse movies recently.I thought it was good. Slow, but good.
didn't realize it had hype. i don't think i remember when this came out. and, i really don't think i've seen worse in quite a while.
I can see why you'd think that movie is very boring. But I usually give a movie like this credit for trying to make something other than a pedestrian genre movie.
I think its a movie you either cant finish or really like. I loved it, but I recommended it to a friend who thought it sucked.I understand people finding it boring or slow, but I still cant equate that with bad.
This on my All Time Top 10 list. I can see people not having the taste for it, because of its length and lack of action sequences but it has some of the best character development, acting, and direction I've ever seen. Affleck deserved the Supporting Oscar over Javier Bardem in my opinion and I am by no means a hater of No Country For Old Men.

The Kingdom

Sorry to disappoint.
i cannot recommend the series/movie strongly enough. it's a lot of fun. von trier's bark is much worse than his bite.
Cool :shrug:

currently viewing The Assassination Of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Fordthis is the worst movie i have watched in years
Don't you mean it's the most overhyped movie you've watched in years? I am guessing you've seen far worse movies recently.I thought it was good. Slow, but good.
didn't realize it had hype. i don't think i remember when this came out. and, i really don't think i've seen worse in quite a while.
I can see why you'd think that movie is very boring. But I usually give a movie like this credit for trying to make something other than a pedestrian genre movie.
I think its a movie you either cant finish or really like. I loved it, but I recommended it to a friend who thought it sucked.I understand people finding it boring or slow, but I still cant equate that with bad.
This on my All Time Top 10 list. I can see people not having the taste for it, because of its length and lack of action sequences but it has some of the best character development, acting, and direction I've ever seen. Affleck deserved the Supporting Oscar over Javier Bardem in my opinion and I am by no means a hater of No Country For Old Men.
I'd need to see it again to understand how I'd rank it. Overall, it has the feel of a Terrance Malick movie - which is a good thing.

I'd need to see it again to understand how I'd rank it. Overall, it has the feel of a Terrance Malick movie - which is a good thing.
Strongly agree with the Malick comparison, although Thin Red Line is the only Malick movie I really thoroughly enjoyed.

Strongly agree with the Malick comparison, although Thin Red Line is the only Malick movie I really thoroughly enjoyed.
I liked The New World.

I might agree with you on supporting actor, but I thought Affleck was even better in Gone Baby Gone, so its hard for me to give it to him for this (and maybe voters thought the same way)I also thought Pitt was a scene stealer everytime he was there, and was seriously snubbed by not getting a nomination. The fact that his performance was better than Affleck's also makes it hard for me to give him BSA for Assassination.

"days of heaven" is one of my top 3 favorite films. "badlands" is very much a malick film, too, but less polished than his other work. first films are like that though. "thin red line" is better than "badlands" but it's a far more ambitious film.

Appaloosa

Wasnt sure what to expect exactly with this, and heard mixed reviews as well. In the end, I enjoyed it a lot. Its not quite a psychological western or a shoot 'em up, but its engaging and effective throughout. Sometimes you dont know when someone is going to raise their firearm or not, but thats part of the suspense and intrigue. I think Viggo Mortensen is 1 of the best actors going (watch Eastern Promises if you think otherwise), and he's good as usual in this, but Ed Harris (as a verbally challenged town marshall who seems sure of himself but needs reassurance) and Jeremy Irons (as a wealthy member of the community who may or may not have killed the previous marshall) are even better. I found the characters interesting and the actors engaging the whole way through, but if the viewer cant, they probably wont enjoy the movie due to limited action. Great scenery (loved 1 towards the end where theyre at some sort of pueblo-ish hotel), sharp cinematography, and I liked the music backing it. If I remember correctly it was written and directed by Ed Harris too.

3.8/5

"days of heaven" is one of my top 3 favorite films. "badlands" is very much a malick film, too, but less polished than his other work. first films are like that though. "thin red line" is better than "badlands" but it's a far more ambitious film.
Days of Heaven was definitely good.The Thin Red Line started good and went awful and boring the second half. It was a bad sign when I found myself saying "shut up" out loud to the TV during the voiceovers in the second half.

Mr. Mojo said:
Days of Heaven was definitely good.The Thin Red Line started good and went awful and boring the second half. It was a bad sign when I found myself saying "shut up" out loud to the TV during the voiceovers in the second half.
i felt that way about "the new world". it pained me a great deal to dislike that film as much as i did.

Smokin' Aces

Re-watched this on HBO and I regret it. Absolutely terrible. The director steals liberally from Guy Ritchie. But unlike Snatch and Lock, Stock the parts that are supposed to be funny are rarely funny. Furthermore, the "drama" is awful. This has aspirations of great pop art but it fails miserably.

Smokin' Aces

Re-watched this on HBO and I regret it. Absolutely terrible. The director steals liberally from Guy Ritchie. But unlike Snatch and Lock, Stock the parts that are supposed to be funny are rarely funny. Furthermore, the "drama" is awful. This has aspirations of great pop art but it fails miserably.
Totally agree. I went away thinking how funny it could have been.Only highlight was that Alicia keys was smokin' hot in it.

I thought Smokin' Aces was entertaining enough, but yeah, doesnt touch a Guy Ritchie flick

Still gotta check out RockNRolla

So I went to the Redbox on monday since you can get a movie for free, and right there above the screen they have a picture of A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints and are releasing it on Jan 20th, with a new cover apparently too.

Now thats 1 of my favorite movies of the last few years, and I know a lot of people (especially who rent movies at the Redbox) probably missed it when it came out on DVD about 2 years ago. In this aspect, Im glad theyre trying to give it more exposure.

What I dont like though is Im sure the only reason theyre doing it is because Shia LaBeauf is a megastar now after Disturbia, Indiana Jones, and Transformers, and RDJr is back on top of the hill after Iron Man...Love the movie, but this kind of marketing bothers me.

In other news, cant way to see that new RDJr and Jamie Foxx movie The Soloist...looks good

Smokin' Aces

Totally agree. I went away thinking how funny it could have been.Only highlight was that Alicia keys was smokin' hot in it.
I want to have Alicia Keys' baby.

Righteous Kill - Decent movie with a nicely thought out plot. Pacino and De Niro work well together. Honestly, I did not know how this was going to end...but it was a surprise to me at least. I would give it a 7 out of 10.

Righteous Kill - Decent movie with a nicely thought out plot. Pacino and De Niro work well together. Honestly, I did not know how this was going to end...but it was a surprise to me at least. I would give it a 7 out of 10.
Yes, we another person in the Righteous Kill fanclub!!

i saw trans-siberian recently based on the high praise on the thread, & my wife & i really enjoyed it... there are a few things i can say about it, but what i liked most is that it was very effective at building & maintaining suspense & kept you guessing what was going to happen next with some genuinely well crafted surprises & reversals...

without a spoiler, the scene where ben kingsley is looking at the female leads camera was one of the most "hitchcock-like" cinematic moments i can remember in a long time...
Hmm...I remember Rudnicki saying it was great a page or 2 back, and JDD basically agreeing, but thats all I saw. I did just watch this a few hours ago though.Personally, I found Transsiberian somewhat dragged out and boring. The 1st 20-25 minutes seemed utterly pointless, but my biggest complaint was the characters. I understand its a movie, but much of these characters actions bordelined on mentally disabled as the movie went on. I like Woody Harrelson too, but he did nothing for me here and just seemed totally miscast. Kate Mara was at least nice to look at, but thats about it.

I cant agree whatsoever with the suspense being built up throughout either. There wasnt even any suspense at all until Emily Mortimer and Carlos' scene in the woods, and that had to be 1 hour into the movie already. Once Woody was back with her and Kingsley came into the film, I thought it was pretty good and suspenseful (but still with just stupid thinking/actions, mostly on Mortimer's characters part), but to me that was too little too late to say it was more than 3.0/5.0.

I do agree that scene you mention Bob was excellent though.

I thought Mortimer did a fantastic job acting in this, but she was the lone bright spot. Ive come to expect more from Kingsley, but he was okay. I thought the scenery/backdrop was beautful and stirring and was used nicely to add to the suspense, but I still found too many things I didnt like about it to really recommend it to someone. You can certainly watch worse though.
wasn't me that mentioned this movie since I just saw it for the first time and had barely heard anything about it.I dug it. Some great suspense built up throughout the movie, plenty of plot twists and beautiful scenery, and I was even fine with the ending although I've seen people complain about it.

Hustle

British TV Series. Just got through the 2nd season on DVD from netflix. This show has grown on me. It's highly influenced by Oceans Eleven and is very stylized, with characters occasionally talking to the camera. The cons/plots are pretty ridiculous, but it's an entertaining show and strangely addictive.

The Verdict

Somehow never saw this 25 yr old or so Paul Newman film. Newman was fantastic...Charlotte Rampling was actually pretty hot before she was a grandma...and a few of those scenes were just fantastic and filled with emotion, especially when the nurse is being questioned/cross examined in court towards the end.

4.1/5

The Verdict

Somehow never saw this 25 yr old or so Paul Newman film. Newman was fantastic...Charlotte Rampling was actually pretty hot before she was a grandma...and a few of those scenes were just fantastic and filled with emotion, especially when the nurse is being questioned/cross examined in court towards the end.

4.1/5
My favorite Newman performance....

A few months behind on this, but finally watched Redbelt. Fun as an MMA fan to pick out the cameos. Even with the MMAmet treatment, this movie relied on fight movie cliches. I guess there's really no way around them. Enjoyable enough but not great. 3/5

Get Smart -- Better and funnier than I expected. Good popcorn movie. 3.5 / 5

The Verdict

4.1/5
My favorite Newman performance....
Strictly performance, its definitely up there...Probably 2nd after Cool Hand Luke and slightly ahead of Color of Money

A few months behind on this, but finally watched Redbelt. Fun as an MMA fan to pick out the cameos. Even with the MMAmet treatment, this movie relied on fight movie cliches. I guess there's really no way around them. Enjoyable enough but not great. 3/5
Pretty silly ending. Still, I am glad I watched it.

Smokin' Aces

You mean, like... give birth to it?

Smokin' Aces

You mean, like... give birth to it?
Either way.

Burn After Reading - Finally watched this. Probably the first time I've been truely let down by a Coen Bros. movie. An all star cast that disappointed at every turn.

McDormand - :lmao:

Pitt - :unsure:

Clooney - :thumbup:

Malkovich - Maybe 2 shining moments, but as a whole has been sooo much better in soooo many other roles.

Every time David Rasche spoke, I thought to myself that William H Macy must have been busy that week. The role was clearly written for him.

JK Simmons was the only one that entertained me, but he never fails to entertain me for some reason.

This week I watched:

X-Files: I Want to Believe. I wanted to like this movie, but didn't. Went too many places at once, the story wasn't interesting, Mulder and Scully don't have chemistry anymore, etc, etc... It was like one of the subpar episodes that had nothing to do with the story arc of the TV show, but you watched it anyway. Was made worse because it's stretched out for and hour and 40min instead of just 40 mins. Even fans of the show shouldn't watch this one. Probably give it a 4/10 or so.

Chris Rock: Kill the Messenger. Not as funny as his previos standup, but still can make me laugh pretty hard. Was filmed in 3 different locations and it really started to irritate me that they'd go between them so quickly and even in the middle of jokes. Still would recommend to anybody that likes his stand up stuff.

Pineapple Express. This movie gets funnier to me on repeat viewings. This is the 3rd time watching it now. I think it helps knowing how it turns into an over-the-top action movie towards the end. My favorite comedy I saw this year.

Paradise Lost: The Murders at Robin Hood Hills. Rewatching this 2 part documentary about the West Memphis 3. Still don't know how I feel about the case. Going to read the book Devil's Knot when it gets in from the library to see if there is more insight to it. Supposedly there is new DNA evidence suggesting that they couldn't have done it. Just revisting the case b/c I thought I read there was a part 3 coming out this year.

Paradise Lost: The Murders at Robin Hood Hills. Rewatching this 2 part documentary about the West Memphis 3. Still don't know how I feel about the case. Going to read the book Devil's Knot when it gets in from the library to see if there is more insight to it. Supposedly there is new DNA evidence suggesting that they couldn't have done it. Just revisting the case b/c I thought I read there was a part 3 coming out this year.
Great movies. I'd be interested in whether you glean anything more from the book (which I wasn't even aware of).

Great movies. I'd be interested in whether you glean anything more from the book (which I wasn't even aware of).
I think there are 2 main books on the topic - one on each side of the debate. The top 3 books on THIS page are on the topic. Devil's Knot is more pro-WM3, Blood of Innocents is more on the other side I think. Almost Home is Damien Echols' autobiography. I was poking around youtube and in a weird turnaround evidently John Mark Byers (creepy step-dad of one of the victims) is now sporting Free the West Memphis 3 tshirts and joining the cause. A lot of people thought he was a main suspect as well.

Anybody who hasn't seen the movies, I'd highly recommend checking them out.

We watched the first 20 minutes of Howard The Duck Last night. I thought it would be good for a laugh. It wasn't.

I'd forgotten how completely terrible that movie is.

Pineapple Express. This movie gets funnier to me on repeat viewings. This is the 3rd time watching it now. I think it helps knowing how it turns into an over-the-top action movie towards the end. My favorite comedy I saw this year.
I liked it a lot. I was surprised to read bad reviews of this one.

I need to see that.If you like crime documentaries (or just docs in general) I cannot say enough good things about Murder on a Sunday Morning. A riveting tale of a young boy accused of murder. Brilliant film.

Also, The Staircase is outstanding.

I need to see that.If you like crime documentaries (or just docs in general) I cannot say enough good things about Murder on a Sunday Morning. A riveting tale of a young boy accused of murder. Brilliant film.

I agree about Murder on a Sunday Morning. One of my favorites. :)

Watched Airplane! the other night. ### ####, that is one unfunny movie. At least now it is, sure didn't seem to age well. Had the :mellow: look on my face the whole time. Only time I laughed was when Otto got a BJ.

Saw Benjamin Button last night, and loved it. But, I'm a homo for those type of movies.

I agree about Murder on a Sunday Morning. One of my favorites. :mellow:
:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread