What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (4 Viewers)

Star Trek: First Contact A

Son came over for dinner, pizza and we were going to watch something. TV show or movie we hadn't decided.

He has been working his way through ST:TNG and is somewhere in Season 3. We were going to watch a few episodes (I had seen each one at least 4 times, so didn't matter which one) but then i said, lets watch First Contact.

Had to explain Worf had moved to Deep Space Nine, Data's emotion chip and who the holographic doctor was. We both :lol: at drunk Troi and :clap: when the Plasma Torpedoes missed the Phoenix. But he loved it :thumbup:

A great night

Just saw The Drop

Another film based on a Dennis LeHane novel (Mystic River).

Interesting, thoughtful, slow developing but never boring. Really enjoyed it.

It was interesting hearing Tom Hardy and the guy from Animal Kingdom using good american accents.

Rented St. Vincent tonight. We are big Bill Murray fans and really enjoyed it. Super fantastic? No - but its still tons better than most anything out there.

4+ of 5.

Whiplash - Loved it. Simmons gets all the credit for his acting, and deservedly so (as I understand it he's a lock for tomorrow night), but I was also impressed with Miles Teller's acting chops as well, even if he is a little odd to look at (he may be the love child of Ed Norton, Chris Penn and Sylvester Stallone). He didn't fade into the background against the performance of Simmons IMO, which is no small feat. It's also probably part of the reason why Simmons is being so universally recognized, having a strong foil to play against brings out the best in a performance.

Highly recommend.

Just saw The Drop

It was interesting hearing Tom Hardy and the guy from Animal Kingdom using good american accents.
its on my netflix list...looking forward to seeing

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Peabody & Sherman - 5.5/10

I liked the cartoon as a kid. This movie is a trainwreck from a story perspective. But it's still worth watching because the jokes are very funny (if you like puns, anyway). To bad they're buried in such dreck.

Europa Report - 7/10

Filmed for the most part like a documentary this is a pretty solid space adventure/thriller about humanity exploring Europa to try to find life outside of Earth. It's slow at first and the whole movie feels a little emotionally detached (which I think is the point). But in an age where it's so easy to screw up science fiction with big budget effects and visuals (i.e. Jupiter Ascending) the minimalism of this film makes it stand out. It's definitely worth a watch.

Just saw The Drop

Didn't realize this is on netflix...thanks!
I looked. Its not.
Doh!

Just saw The Drop

I looked. Its not.
The Drop
2014 R 106 minsAverage rating: 3.5Rate 5 starsRate 4 starsRate 3 starsRate 2 starsRate 1 starRate not interested
Our best guess for you: 3.5 stars
Average of 3942 ratings: 3.6 stars
Ex-con Bob Saginowski resolves to start a new life away from crime, but his bartending job at a local tavern pulls him back toward trouble when the load of cash that gangsters are laundering through the bar mysteriously disappears.

Cast: Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace, James Gandolfini, more...

Added to your Queue on 2/7/2015 Manage Queue
In DVD Queue

Just saw The Drop

I looked. Its not.
I got it in the mail from Netflix. I don't have streaming.

The Theory of Everything - I came in expecting another saccharine, heavy handed, overcoming adversity with the love of a woman standard Hollywood film that a stoned monkey could write with his penis (are we allow to say penis in here?). At least it didn't disappoint my expectations.

This is pretty much a reboot of My Left Foot and like the vast majority of reboots it falls far short of the original.

Redmayne did a fine job and was a convincing Hawking and I guess he didn't go full ###### and all that (no doubt deserving of his Oscar nomination) but come on, was he really so spectacular as to to sweep the Emmy, BAFTA and the SAG awards? Bah! Come on aren't the voters smarter than that (rhetorical question, we all know they're not). I hope they got drunk and sentimental while voting for the Oscars and give it to Keaton like he deserves.

The more galling, and disheartening, aspect for me is that it was nominated for best picture. Nonsense.

Frankly my opinion is don't bother with this film.

The Theory of Everything - I came in expecting another saccharine, heavy handed, overcoming adversity with the love of a woman standard Hollywood film that a stoned monkey could write with his penis (are we allow to say penis in here?). At least it didn't disappoint my expectations.

This is pretty much a reboot of My Left Foot and like the vast majority of reboots it falls far short of the original.

Redmayne did a fine job and was a convincing Hawking and I guess he didn't go full ###### and all that (no doubt deserving of his Oscar nomination) but come on, was he really so spectacular as to to sweep the Emmy, BAFTA and the SAG awards? Bah! Come on aren't the voters smarter than that (rhetorical question, we all know they're not). I hope they got drunk and sentimental while voting for the Oscars and give it to Keaton like he deserves.

The more galling, and disheartening, aspect for me is that it was nominated for best picture. Nonsense.

I don't think it should have been nominated for Best Picture, but it was an amazing portrayal of Hawking's life. I loved his books as a kid and enjoyed learning the background of his life. Keaton was good, but was that character much of a stretch for him? Redmayne knocked it out of the park despite having to portray a unique and a very well known person.

I don't think it should have been nominated for Best Picture, but it was an amazing portrayal of Hawking's life. I loved his books as a kid and enjoyed learning the background of his life. Keaton was good, but was that character much of a stretch for him? Redmayne knocked it out of the park despite having to portray a unique and a very well known person.
He was quite good but, whatever, he aped a well documented person. How is that more of a stretch other than it required some impressive physical contortions? My feeling is that if Jim Carrey could do it then it probably isn't Oscar worthy. And, again, we've seen it before, it's virtually a remake of My Left Foot. Keaton, despite what some think isn't a desperate fading schizophrenic actor with delusions of grandeur. Give Mr. Mom his award!

Binky The Doormat said:
Rented St. Vincent tonight. We are big Bill Murray fans and really enjoyed it. Super fantastic? No - but its still tons better than most anything out there.

4+ of 5.
Watched this last night, loved it! Love Murray too and he was great in it. I didn't realize he was playing that much of a doosh. I dug his accent and everything about the part. I like Melissa McCarthy too but she really wasn't that good. I don't think she does well in dramatic roles. The kid was really good as was the Russian "lady of the night" 4/5

Hunger Games Mockingjay = 2/4, ©, 7/10

Worth seeing because it sets up part 2 however this book should have been one movie. Could have been a 2:45 long movie with fewer cinematic pictures shown with more dialogue and such. Other than being a money grab (with two parts), a decent script could have been written for one movie. I can't imagine the second part being any better than a 2/4 either.

Saw Birdman. It was o.k. Some really good acting, particularly by Keaton and Norton. But I don't know that in total its worthy of as much attention as it seems to be getting. There was one element of the plot that I thought probably could have been left out which would have made it a better film. Or maybe I just didn't get it.
This exactly.

The Fault in Our Stars:

Exactly how I thought it was going to be, which is a good thing. Right along with Perks of Being a Wallflower and Spectacular Now as far movies aimed for that demographic that deals with tough issues fairly well. I will fully admit, I cried. Thinking about what I would do if my son was in similar situations. 7/10

That said, not exactly sure what I am looking for, but are there any movies about teens that don't suffer from Juno syndrome where all the kids are well read and constantly dropping witty one-liners?
Definitely a tear jerker. It blows Boyhood away if you are looking for an emotional ride. It really pulls at you heart strings and is pretty well written. 8.5/10

Ender's Game. Everything from command school on was really, really good but everything before that was awful. Man they messed up battle school. So many parts of it that were over the top corny before a really well done 3rd act.

THE BELIEVER - Definitely see how that propelled Ryan Gosling into realtive stardom. Very good job by him. Thought it would have worked better if they downplayed the "we're Skinheads and we hate Jews" angle and instead went more with his situation; being a Jewish skinhead.

Life of Pi - 8/10

Really enjoyed it.

No really, this is a spoiler. Don't read if you haven't seen the movie....

It would have been only slightly above average had it not been for the twist ending, which I didn't see coming at all.

Oh never mind, this isn’t the correct thread. Someone bumped the old archived thread. All the new posts are in a different thread.

I
Ummmm...what happened to 2015-2022?
even if it is archived, where are last 8 years of posts? Wouldn’t you archive the older posts and not recent ones?
There’s two different threads. This was the 2005-2015 thread that has come back to life. The 2015-2022 is what I linked to.

I
Ummmm...what happened to 2015-2022?
even if it is archived, where are last 8 years of posts? Wouldn’t you archive the older posts and not recent ones?
There’s two different threads. This was the 2005-2015 thread that has come back to life. The 2015-2022 is what I linked to.

:thumbup:

Blind Side

Great story, I'm just not buying the intentions of it all. Pretty much everything you would expect from this type of Hollywood movie.

2.5/5
What do you mean?
What the parents did was a great thing for that kid, but I don't know if they would have done it if he wasn't the athlete he was.I don't want to come to any conclusions, but the story reaked of manipulation.
Sounds like it was worse than expected

Blind Side

Great story, I'm just not buying the intentions of it all. Pretty much everything you would expect from this type of Hollywood movie.

2.5/5
What do you mean?
What the parents did was a great thing for that kid, but I don't know if they would have done it if he wasn't the athlete he was.I don't want to come to any conclusions, but the story reaked of manipulation.
Sounds like it was worse than expected
or maybe not, now Oher’s own book from 2011 has popped back up and turns out he wrote about the conservatory deal back then :shrug:

Watched Barbie on MAX last night and bailed 40 minutes into it - I just didn't "get it" and I did not laugh once if it was supposed to be a comedy.

Users who are viewing this thread