What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (2 Viewers)

Free weekend of everything. Will be recording a lot. Last night's dvr selection..... P.C.U.

Haven't watched yet. Still. One of the funniest movies ever. Gutter is a tool!
Yep. I scanned the whole weekend and have like 10 movies recording. Got some dvr room but a bunch of shows are coming back soon.
i tried this before, but when the preview weekends ended, the movies i recorded on those channels didnt play. Maybe a Dish Network thing?
Recorded 14 movies this weekend. All work fine. I have Dish. I do this every time there is a free weekend.
weird. I guess i should try again.

Last time i did it, recorded something from Showtime during a free weekend- probably Homeland and a few movies. A few months later i went to watch them, and got a msg on the lines that i don't have that channel and gave me the # to subscribe. This was probably a couple years ago, fwiw.

The Man Who Fell to Earth - Actually an impressive performance by David Bowie but very dated and poorly edited. Trippy and freaky but not in a good way, imo.
nailed it.

eta: my folks took me to this in the theaters when it came out. I coudlnt' have been much more than 7 or 8. ####### nightmares
:lmao: wow
yeah. gb them for taking me to all manner of culcha in ways I can't imagine doing with my own kids. Hamlet at 5 (that went well) and this were up there. on the flip side, I really started to appreciate most of this crap later on... like around puberty.
My father took me and my brother to see 2001:Space Odyssey. It must have been a re-release because the original was in 1968 and I would have been 4. I was probably around 10. That's about as weird as it got for me.

The Man Who Fell to Earth - Actually an impressive performance by David Bowie but very dated and poorly edited. Trippy and freaky but not in a good way, imo.
nailed it.

eta: my folks took me to this in the theaters when it came out. I coudlnt' have been much more than 7 or 8. ####### nightmares
yeah. gb them for taking me to all manner of culcha in ways I can't imagine doing with my own kids. Hamlet at 5 (that went well) and this were up there. on the flip side, I really started to appreciate most of this crap later on... like around puberty.
My father took me and my brother to see 2001:Space Odyssey. It must have been a re-release because the original was in 1968 and I would have been 4. I was probably around 10. That's about as weird as it got for me.
jeebus. did he at least get you high first?

partents took me to see a bunch of Bergman and Kurusawa waaaaay too early, but just meant a little boring/over-the-head and too much reading of sub-titles more than weird. and that Monty Python thing- Jabberwocky? htat was ####### bizarre, IIRC, and not silly in the right ways.

I'm just realizing in this moment- with my own parental insight- that they were just cheaping out on baby-sitters more than exposing me to culture. :lol:

nailed it.

Jaws at 6 and Apocalypse Now at 9, gee thanks mom and dad.

nailed it.

yeah, those are 2 bad ones at those ages. Jaws at 9, maybe ok.

The One I Love: Twilight Zone-esque movie of a married couple (Mark Duplass / Elisabeth Moss) who go to a retreat in order to try and save their failing marriage. Completely not what I expected but overall I was pleasantly surprised.

4/5 STARS

nailed it.

:lol:

thank goodness they didn't the pop culture stuff. the exorcist and jaws would have been the end of me. I may have been just old enough to make it through Apocalypse because outside of the butchering of the water buffalo, I don't remember being too traumatized. oh. right. and the beheading. those things.

nailed it.

Went to Jaws when I was 5....saw it in the theater. Loved every second of it.

Saw Midnight Express, Animal House and Alien, The Shining all in the theater. Loved every second of it even though I did not understand half of what was going on.

Kids today are far too sheltered from good films and being raised like little wussies. It's called parental guidance. My parents guided me through the movie and everything was fine.

Some kids are mature enough...but some may not be...I guess it is case by case. I was broken in at an early age by my dad with horror and sci-fi.

Gothika - Hally Berry.

What a truly awful movie. I knew I hated all things horror related in this day and age. And this just did nothing for me at all. Don't even know why I bothered.

Check that, I know why.... when I clicked on it I thought I said Gattica and even though I hated that movie I figured, hell, I'll see where they are in the thing and maybe catch the end. But nope, Hally Berry getting chased by ghosts. This was the Sixth Sense only with her instead of Bruce Willis and the ending was so fricken dopey as to defy all chance of me liking it even if I liked the genre to begin with.

Blech. ........ holy hedoublehockeysticks this movie made $180 million dollars? Who the hell goes to see this? I need to make movies. That's where the money is.

wait... you hated Gattica?
I did. I was waiting for a big shootout with Jude Law but he just bbq's himself? C'mon man!

(In reality I didn't hate it. I just didn't love it and with its following that means that to everyone else's definition I hated it). I'm an enigma.

Before I Disappear 5/10 - Movie about a wayward (read: drug addicted and suicidal) uncle and his niece, tracking them both through a day and a night that she gets separated from her mother. A little Brooklyn-y, a little emo. Not really good unless you're looking for redemption stories. I'm an easy grader. I thought the leads were actually great in the movie, but the plot and the diabolical situation has been done a million times before. Still not too terrible a watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack Ryan - Not sure I get the hate. Nothing memorable but it was a fun enough ride.
That's just it about this film, it was a non-stop ride. The surprising part for me is that despite that fact I was just painfully bored.
? I'm about halfway through this and the only action scene is when he arrives in Moscow. There hasn't been a single other one the entire movie.

The Homesman C- Was surprised before i saw it that it had no Oscar Buzz. Well, now I know why.

It was a piece of crap. Other than Tommy Lee Jones, all the performances were over the top (Swank) or completely flat (everybody else)

But Tommy Lee Jones directing? :thumbdown:

Caught a couple Oscar noms, one I had seen before.

Birdman:

Loved this one. I really hope that this gets some awards, mostly for direction. Not exactly what I thought it was going to be, but it still delivered. Performances were great, and I am sure a lot of my love comes from my :boner: for long takes. I still can't get a peg on how many takes were in the film, but it is shot to look like it was done in a single take. So far this one, Whiplash, and Nightcrawler are my favorites of the year. 8/10

Grand Budapest Hotel:

Wife was curious about this one, so I watched it again (tried to). Liked it less the second time around. I just have to officially break up with Wes Anderson.

hey KP- I'm sure we've had this chat, but have you watched early Jarmusch? Stranger and Down by Law, specifically. the latter is one of my favorites; love how he frames his shots and then just lets the camera linger.

who else are the directors that do this? von Trier, IIRC... right?

Inherent Vice

(Not a rental, don't care)

I only recently watched The Grand Budapest Hotel, and I think it's apt to compare these two movies side by side.

Artists often create work that frames the universe through their own unique lens. Painters paint things that provide a certain order their internal strife. Writers express feelings and thoughts in a way that sometimes feel like draining venom from a snake bite. Wes and PT Anderson both make movies with their own unique stamp. Ultimately, the reason I prefer PT over Wes is that Wes' universe is meticulously OCD, whereas PT's movies are grounded in chaos. This chaos can be disarming to the viewer. However, so many movies are wrapped up tightly with no loose ends or subtext, I love seeing PT's movies because they do not conform to these hoary standards.

Vice is a funny, bizarre journey that reminds me of Cormac McCarthy's No Country For Old Men. Like No Country, the narrative seems cryptic and ripe with subtext. But unlike No Country, Vice is largely a comedy. I could go on and on about how great this movie is. But I can't say anything more eloquent than this: I'm glad there are directors like Wes and PT Anderson, because no one makes movies like they do.

I guess I am wrong for this thread if, how many or long takes matter, how they frame a shot and camera lingers matter. WFT, are you entertained or not. ;)

hey KP- I'm sure we've had this chat, but have you watched early Jarmusch? Stranger and Down by Law, specifically. the latter is one of my favorites; love how he frames his shots and then just lets the camera linger.

you know, you just listed a couple directors that i am not familiar with. I THINK i have seen a couple Jarmusch films and maybe one film from Lars?

you know, you just listed a couple directors that i am not familiar with. I THINK i have seen a couple Jarmusch films and maybe one film from Lars?
oh. definitely see Down by Law- long takes galore... and completely static- no tracking at all, IIRC. Jarmusch sets up the frame like a beautiful black/white photo and lets the characters inhabit it. love it. first time I saw roberto benigni and tom waites on film. I liked Breaking the Waves a lot... but oof, von Trier.

Have never enjoyed a Jarmusch or Von Trier film, but I prefer movies with at least a decent story or interesting dialogue/characters.

Have never enjoyed a Jarmusch or Von Trier film, but I prefer movies with at least a decent story or interesting dialogue/characters.
you see the ones I mentioned?

oh. definitely see Down by Law- long takes galore... and completely static- no tracking at all, IIRC. Jarmusch sets up the frame like a beautiful black/white photo and lets the characters inhabit it. love it. first time I saw roberto benigni and tom waites on film. I liked Breaking the Waves a lot... but oof, von Trier.
I love Benigni and Waites but DbL bored the heck out of me.

OTOH I loved von Trier's Meloncholia (lots of people hated it).

Kubrick often went with the long take. Milos Forman used the static shot beautifully in Cuckoo's nest. Terrence Malick probably deserves mention as well. If you are looking for a little off the radar for the use of lingering shots (more so even than Trier and Jarmusch) try Finnish director Aki Karuismaki, definitely not for everyone but I think Leningrad Cowboys Go America is freaking hilarious (although maybe it's more slow pacing then lingering shots).

Don't think I have, seen Ghost Dog, Only Lovers Left Alive and Coffee and Cigarettes. Are those worth it if these left me 'meh'?

I've only seen Melancholia from von Trier and liked it.

Nothing from Jarmusch but I do want to see Broken Flowers

Don't think I have, seen Ghost Dog, Only Lovers Left Alive and Coffee and Cigarettes. Are those worth it if these left me 'meh'?
I liked Ghost Dog, not C&C, and haven't seen Lovers.

But IMO, Down by Law is worth it for the visuals- I thought it was a beautiful film (again, because of how he framed every shot/scene). That said, as chaka touched on, it's not slam-bam exciting by any means.

I wish I was here was surprisingly good-might be more of a single dad or serious dad movie where the mood you're in matters here, but I enjoyed it.

Meh. Pretty formulaic. Same old bad guy. Same old Euroclub settings and overly fancy bad guy corporate environments and improbable but flashy computer systems. Same old.

Eta- talking about Jack Ryan

I wish I was here was surprisingly good-might be more of a single dad or serious dad movie where the mood you're in matters here, but I enjoyed it.
This is the Zac Braff kickstarter movie, right? I'm kind of excited to see what a movie is like without having to appease a publishing studio.

American Sniper. Not a pro war movie. Not an anti war movie. Just a really great "character movie".

I'll be curious if anyone else experiences the same thing I did, watching a full theatre exit in near silence.

I loved this movie and will probably join a very short list of films I see more than once in the theatre.

On The Rocks said:
American Sniper. Not a pro war movie. Not an anti war movie. Just a really great "character movie".

I'll be curious if anyone else experiences the same thing I did, watching a full theatre exit in near silence.

I loved this movie and will probably join a very short list of films I see more than once in the theatre.
presume this wouldn't be good for young kids, but how about a mature 12 year old?

I'm highly inclined to see it, near Fort Bragg would be an interesting experience.

On The Rocks said:

presume this wouldn't be good for young kids, but how about a mature 12 year old?

I'm highly inclined to see it, near Fort Bragg would be an interesting experience.
I think ok for a highly mature 12 year old. But certainly not for the run of the mill kid.

Monks: The Transatlantic Feedback 5/10 - A typically semi-hagiographic documentary about a band I think is one of the most overblown cult bands of the '60s, The Monks. Following them from their beginnings as the Torquays through their GI days and into avant-garde Germanic rock outfit, this documentary is basically the first-person account of the Monks. With footage. For garage rock aficionados and music historians. I did like it and made it though the film -- but it certainly is a bubble burster for those that would think that a whirlwind of creativity came from these American servicemen in Germany. They were largely a product of Germanic management and creative design, as evidenced by the interviews in the film.

I will admit, I never liked the band, and this answers why. The individuals, however, are more than sympathetic. And "Complication," the song, gets a good spin. The best scene is them on a Germanic American Bandstand-esque show. "What do we do with these guys?"

eta* Rotten Tomatoes page, which has this at 89% (?!) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/monks_the_transatlantic_feedback/

On The Rocks said:

I think ok for a highly mature 12 year old. But certainly not for the run of the mill kid.
hey i used to run around a mill as a kid...i would have loved a good war story

How to train your dragon with the kids. Funny, heartfelt and visually excellent. 9/10. Even if you don't have kids this is well worth renting and probably available in the bargain bin.

Catching up from the holidays.

Get On Up - :thumbup: Very entertaining for a biopic, especially if you dig James Brown.

Inherent Vice - :thumbdown: I've seen the raves here, but I just couldn't get into it.

The Drop - <_< A bar being used as a mob cash drop gets robbed. Decent acting, but

American Sniper - :thumbup:

John Wick - <_< So-so action movie with plot holes galore.

The Hobbit, 5 Armies - :thumbdown: They really shouldn't have tried to stretch it out to 3 movies. I was bored for most of it.

Whiplash - <_< I don't get the love for being able to drum fast. I recognize it's technically difficult, but it's not entertaining to listen to.

Time Lapse - :thumbup: Camera spits out pictures of the future.

What We Do In The Shadows - <_< Mockumentary about a group of vampire roommates. Had some funny moments.

Predestination - <_< Just a weird time travel movie.

Fury - :thumbup: Nothing special, but an entertaining enough WWII movie.

A Walk Among The Tombstones - <_< I can't even remember what it was about. Probably Taken 2 1/2.

Users who are viewing this thread