What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (4 Viewers)

Awards season time. Obviously a strange year...includes all movies including streamed. I haven't seen a single one of these. :kicksrock: The National Society of Film Critics (picked Parasite last year):
I’ve see 5 Bloods, half of Small Axe (it’s sort of like a movie anthology) and Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom. Five Bloods is outstanding. Small Axe is great so far but doesn’t feel like a singular movie. Ma Rainey was ok. Felt way too stagey though. 

Been TRYING to keep a pace with movies.  It really is what makes me happiest for lounge time vs gaming, watching TV, and farting around with dfs.  Would love to get in 150-200 new movies this year.  @Ilov80s mini countdown made me jealous and want to do one.  

So far I have watched: 

Dog Day Afternoon 

I'm No Angel 

Thought Crimes- the Cannibal Cop documentary 

Werewolf (on Criterion Channel) 

Peanut Butter Falcon

The ones that "count" need to be new or just watched 1 time years ago.  I also watched The Prestige for the dozenth time the other night as well.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Added a couple more this week - a Coen double feature as I rewatched No Country for Old Men and watched Inside Llewyn Davis.     I think next up will be a couple PTA movies with Hard Eight and Inherent Vice, then probably back to the Criterion queue.  

We watched A Night in Miami on Amazon.

Felt like I was watching a play...in a good way. Awards season will jump on some amazing performances- Malcolm and Jim Brown in particular- along with the writing and direction, both of which kept this tense and taught and highlighted while humanizing these essentially mythological characters. Crazy if these guys were all actually friends and hung out like this.

Felt like I was watching a play...in a good way. Awards season will jump on some amazing performances- Malcolm and Jim Brown in particular- along with the writing and direction, both of which kept this tense and taught and highlighted while humanizing these essentially mythological characters. Crazy if these guys were all actually friends and hung out like this.
I’ve heard good things so this motivates me more to watch it soon. Thx.

Added a couple more this week - a Coen double feature as I rewatched No Country for Old Men and watched Inside Llewyn Davis.     I think next up will be a couple PTA movies with Hard Eight and Inherent Vice, then probably back to the Criterion queue.  
Saw Llewyn Davis for first time a few weeks ago. Liked it but do not think I'll need to rewatch.

Film is a good lesson regarding the long term effects of the choices you make in life or how much you put in leads to how much you get back. 

Bullitt - Watched this tonight for the first time. I love Steve McQueen so its embarrassing I've never seen it before. It was terrific. the tension just builds and builds but nobody overacts. They are all just calm professionals - no yelling or screaming. And the car chase scene - one of the best I've seen. Especially with the fantastic cars - 68 Mustang GT and a Dodge Charger. Highly recommend the movie.

One final thought - as a child of the 70s/80s, it was weird to see Norman Fell acting so serious. I always think of him as Mr. Roper.

ETA: Airport security was much different pre-9/11.

Last night's movie has me fired up to see more Steve McQueen. I've seen 5 of his movies but haven't seen The Cincinnati Kid, Thomas Crown Affair, The Getaway, etc. 

Last night's movie has me fired up to see more Steve McQueen. I've seen 5 of his movies but haven't seen The Cincinnati Kid, Thomas Crown Affair, The Getaway, etc. 
The Cincinnati Kid is entertaining and has a great cast including Ann Margret looking her finest  :wub:

New (old) movies coming soon to the UK and US. First time released outside Japan.

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/the-invisible-man-appears-the-invisible-man-vs-the-human-fly-arrow-us-blu-ray-preorder/?eid=A9397616742841511948514273zzzzz64b482bdaf506a888b01b4eb6f89bc290dd0128cd95a17ef5194d733b1d0261947&utm_campaign=ARROW VIDEO - January NEWSLETTER A 2021&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_content=&utm_medium=email

JUST ANNOUNCED

HE HAS NO FACE! NO HEAD OR NECK! IT'S THE INVISIBLE MAN!

Finally released outside Japan for the very first time, these unique riffs on H.G. Wells’ classic character are two of the earliest examples of tokusatsu (special effects) cinema from Daiei Studios, later the home of Gamera.

In The Invisible Man Appears, written and directed by Nobuo Adachi in 1949, a scientist successfully creates an invisibility serum, only to be kidnapped by a gang of thugs who wish to use the formula to rob a priceless jewel.

Eight years later, Mitsuo Murayama’s exciting The Invisible Man vs. The Human Fly tells the story of a series of mysterious murders where the only clue is strange buzzing noise at the scene of the crime…

Containing both The Invisible Man Appears and The Invisible Man vs. The Human Fly, this set is released in the UK on 15 March and in the US and Canada on 16 March.

Been TRYING to keep a pace with movies.  It really is what makes me happiest for lounge time vs gaming, watching TV, and farting around with dfs.  Would love to get in 150-200 new movies this year.  @Ilov80s mini countdown made me jealous and want to do one.  

So far I have watched: 

Dog Day Afternoon 

I'm No Angel 

Thought Crimes- the Cannibal Cop documentary 

Werewolf (on Criterion Channel) 

Peanut Butter Falcon

The ones that "count" need to be new or just watched 1 time years ago.  I also watched The Prestige for the dozenth time the other night as well.  
What’s the Werewolf movie? 

What’s the Werewolf movie? 
It was actually pretty good.  It's an indie Canadian movie about a couple dealing with coming clean and their struggles and going the opposite ways with their recovery.   Nothing groundbreaking, but I liked how it was shot and it sucked me in.  It was just one that stuck out as I was scanning.  

Last night the edibles were kicking in and I finally watched The Last Waltz, so I need to add that to my ongoing list. :wub:   I also rewatched Hard Eight.   

It was actually pretty good.  It's an indie Canadian movie about a couple dealing with coming clean and their struggles and going the opposite ways with their recovery.   Nothing groundbreaking, but I liked how it was shot and it sucked me in.  It was just one that stuck out as I was scanning.  

Last night the edibles were kicking in and I finally watched The Last Waltz, so I need to add that to my ongoing list. :wub:   I also rewatched Hard Eight.   
HERE is the link to imdb's Werewolf page.  

The Cincinnati Kid is entertaining and has a great cast including Ann Margret looking her finest  :wub:
Poker journalism, and perhaps games journalism, began when the legendary  Mike Caro soiled nine pages of a 1980s startup industry rag with an impassioned & exacting explanation of how the climactic hand of The Cincinnati Kid would and could never be played as shown. I can't revisit the film, as i recently did after a long hiatus, without that seminal diatribe echoing in my head, but it is my favorite McQueen (non)performance and Ann Margret is the Greek goddess of things that'll knock you off your game.

The Murderers Are Among Us/Die Mörder sind unter uns

One of the first "rubble" films produced in post-war Germany finds it already dealing with the issues of forgiveness, reconciliation, and guilt admission. It's a slow burning film, but finishes with a flourish.

I had no idea Hildegard Knef (Neff in America) was so popular and connected. 

Loved it. Managed to be very entertaining while essentially being a discussion of very heavy race related topics impacting the Black community.

Loved it. Managed to be very entertaining while essentially being a discussion of very heavy race related topics impacting the Black community.
And did a great job translating those issues that were so prevalent in the early 60s into equally relevant (sadly) 2021. The more I think on the movie, the more the writing really stands out. And full credit to the director for allowing the writing and acting to take center stage...they could have messed this up by trying to do too much. 

Eta...and damn-that scene with Bridges..

And did a great job translating those issues that were so prevalent in the early 60s into equally relevant (sadly) 2021. The more I think on the movie, the more the writing really stands out. And full credit to the director for allowing the writing and acting to take center stage...they could have messed this up by trying to do too much. 

Eta...and damn-that scene with Bridges..
Agreed on the issues but it did it without being forced. Obviously this isn’t a literal conversation/event that happened. They wouldn’t have likely interacted in such a direct manner. Brown, Ali, Cooke and Malcolm are larger than life characters through which these ideas can be expressed. Yet somehow it still felt personal and intimate. The man who wrote this 1 act play and script also wrote Soul which is supposed to be fantastic. Heck of a year for Kemp Powers.

Agreed on the issues but it did it without being forced. Obviously this isn’t a literal conversation/event that happened. They wouldn’t have likely interacted in such a direct manner. Brown, Ali, Cooke and Malcolm are larger than life characters through which these ideas can be expressed. Yet somehow it still felt personal and intimate. The man who wrote this 1 act play and script also wrote Soul which is supposed to be fantastic. Heck of a year for Kemp Powers.
Yeah...it was taking these mythological people and allowing us to see their intimate humanity and closeness with each other (true or not...doesn't matter to me). 

We saw Soul...it lacks the power of the characters behind it, but still nicely done. Kemp is clearly somebody to watch.

Trying to catch up on 2020 movies and possible Oscar films. I’m a big Charlie Kaufman fan but I’m Thinking of Ending Things was a tad too much for me. I was digging it about 2/3 through and then it kind of lost me. I think I get what the movie’s “twist” was but it’s truly a puzzle where you have to put all the pieces in place yourself. It’s interesting and has one of the best awkward meet your partners parents for the first time and dinner scenes ever filmed but it’s sooooo strange. 

Ilov80s said:
Trying to catch up on 2020 movies and possible Oscar films. I’m a big Charlie Kaufman fan but I’m Thinking of Ending Things was a tad too much for me. I was digging it about 2/3 through and then it kind of lost me. I think I get what the movie’s “twist” was but it’s truly a puzzle where you have to put all the pieces in place yourself. It’s interesting and has one of the best awkward meet your partners parents for the first time and dinner scenes ever filmed but it’s sooooo strange. 

Kaufman's like a 60s bebop master who becomes so obsessed with groundbreaking that he forgets the whole point of his art is to swing first, ask questions later. if it don't swing, it aint jazz -

Kaufman's like a 60s bebop master who becomes so obsessed with groundbreaking that he forgets the whole point of his art is to swing first, ask questions later. if it don't swing, it aint jazz -
Yeah I was reading he didn’t really like Adaptation (which I thought was genius) because he felt it explained too much of what was going on and he wanted to make sure to avoid that it again. This newest one is is like being handed an unmarked box of puzzle pieces. I think I can make out what it is but I’ll never be sure if the pieces even were all meant to together. 

Awards season time. Obviously a strange year...includes all movies including streamed. I haven't seen a single one of these. :kicksrock: The National Society of Film Critics (picked Parasite last year):

Best Picture:

WINNER: NOMADLAND (52 points)

RUNNERS-UP:

FIRST COW (50 points)

NEVER RARELY SOMETIMES ALWAYS (41 points)

Director:

WINNER: Chloé Zhao, NOMADLAND (58 points)

RUNNERS-UP:

Steve McQueen, SMALL AXE (41 points)

Kelly Reichardt, FIRST COW (30 points)

Actress:

WINNER: Best Actress: Frances McDormand, NOMADLAND (46 points)

RUNNERS-UP:

Viola Davis, MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM (33 points) S
Sidney Flanigan, NEVER RARELY SOMETIMES ALWAYS (29 points)
Actor:

WINNER: Best Actor: Delroy Lindo, DA 5 BLOODS (52 points)

RUNNERS-UP:

Chadwick Boseman, MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM (47 points)

Riz Ahmed, SOUND OF METAL (32 points)

Supporting Actress:

WINNER: Best Supporting Actress, Maria Bakalova, BORAT SUBSEQUENT MOVIEFILM (47 points)

RUNNERS-UP:

Amanda Seyfried, MANK (40 points)

Youn Yuh-jung, MINARI (33 points)

Supporting Actor:

WINNER: Best Supporting Actor: Paul Raci, SOUND OF METAL (53 points)

RUNNER-UPS:

Glynn Turman, MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM (36 points)

Chadwick Boseman, DA 5 BLOODS (35 points)

Screenplay:

WINNER: Best Screenplay: Eliza Hittman, NEVER RARELY SOMETIMES ALWAYS (38 points)

RUNNERS-UP:

Jon Raymond and Kelly Reichardt, FIRST COW (35 points)
Charlie Kaufman, I’M THINKING OF ENDING THINGS (29 points)
Non-Fiction Film:

Cinematography:

WINNER: Best Cinematography: Joshua James Richards, NOMADLAND (47 points)

RUNNERS-UP:

Shabier Kirchner, LOVERS ROCK (41 points)
Leonardo Simões, VITALINA VARELA (34 points)
Foreign-Language Film:

WINNER: COLLECTIVE (38 points) Runners-up:

RUNNERS-UP:

BACURAU and BEANPOLE (36 points)

VITALINA VARELA (32 points)

Non-fiction Film:

WINNER: TIME (46 points)

RUNNERS-UP:

CITY HALL (28 points)

COLLECTIVE (22 points)
I haven't seen a ton of these yet.  Nomadland is at top of my list but not streaming anywhere last I checked.  Of those listed above, I've seen:

Da 5 Bloods - I reviewed here before.  Thought movie was flawed but very good, but any award given to Delroy Lindo for his performance will be well-deserved.

Never Rarely Sometimes Always - Wow, this was a rough watch.  It reminded me quite a bit of the similarly awkwardly titled 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days from several years ago, in that they both involved a pregnant young woman and her female friend trying to get an abortion.  The latter had more profound emotional impact as it was even more devastating than the current movie (with the stakes being higher in Romania where the procedure was illegal), but there were similar themes throughout.  I'm not sure any guy will understand the emotional impact of this movie, but no matter who you are I think you'll understand how astonishing the performance of the lead actress was.  There's a scene that gives the movie its title that is simply astounding.  The director/screenwriter treated this with such delicacy and sensitivity.  An amazing movie but not for everyone.

Connection - winner above for best foreign language and a runner-up for best documentary, but in my mind it should win the latter prize, too (though I have not seen City Hall as it's not yet available to stream).  I've never seen a movie like this.  It captures a time and series of events in an unheard of way, and the events depicted literally took down a government.  If you like documentaries at all, I can't recommend this highly enough.  Blown away.

Time - ehhhhhhhh.  I see this won best documentary award hands down.  It's a well-made movie and structured extremely well, combining home movies and current documentarian footage over the course of 20 years.  It's an achievement, cinematically.  The problem I have with it is that I found the main focus, a woman named Fox Rich, pretty unlikable.  That would be OK (I love many movies with unlikeable protagonist) except that the entire conceit of the film is that she is a heroine.  I found her admirable in some ways - very strong - and her children even more so, but I simply didn't root for her, which seems a necessary element of the movie.  The underlying premise that she forcefully states, which is that the prison system is an extension of slavery, is one that I have some sympathy for, but there wasn't anything presented that made one believe this.  It was as if we were to believe it by sheer force of her personality.  I wanted more.

Not on the list above, but I also recently watched the well-received Kajillionaire, which seemed set up as a slam-dunk love for me, with Miranda July as the writer/director and several actors whom I love.  And I hated it.  Hated.  Couldn't even make my way through the whole thing.

Never Rarely Sometimes Always - Wow, this was a rough watch.  It reminded me quite a bit of the similarly awkwardly titled 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days from several years ago, in that they both involved a pregnant young woman and her female friend trying to get an abortion.  The latter had more profound emotional impact as it was even more devastating than the current movie (with the stakes being higher in Romania where the procedure was illegal), but there were similar themes throughout.  I'm not sure any guy will understand the emotional impact of this movie, but no matter who you are I think you'll understand how astonishing the performance of the lead actress was.  There's a scene that gives the movie its title that is simply astounding.  The director/screenwriter treated this with such delicacy and sensitivity.  An amazing movie but not for everyone.
I was just coming in to post that I watched this one last night, and echo basically all you wrote.   Exactly like you said - 4 Month, etc..  was a harder watch and I would say a little better movie.   That said I was glued to the screen here for such a simple movie (simple in the basic plot over the course of a couple days, not the emotions of the movie).   Mostly because of the lead actress doing a fantastic job of always being in the background and not showing much emotion, and then making the scene where the title comes from that much more of a gut punch.  There are reasons she is as guarded as she is.  

As for the bolded, I am sure you are right.  One of my other takeaways that I thought about after the movie was over was how it did a great job of conveying the constant barrage of male creepiness if not downright threatening behavior.  Dumb dude comments that we make would be on the lines of "well, I wish somebody would tell me I am hot like that" or things on those general lines.  While watching this I just felt a weight of everything going on around them, not even to do with the abortion, from the leering manager to gross dad/step dad, to being called a slut, to dude constantly trying to get them downtown, to man on subway taking his junk out.  

Like you said, not for everybody, but I am glad I got around to watching it.  

I was just coming in to post that I watched this one last night, and echo basically all you wrote.   Exactly like you said - 4 Month, etc..  was a harder watch and I would say a little better movie.   That said I was glued to the screen here for such a simple movie (simple in the basic plot over the course of a couple days, not the emotions of the movie).   Mostly because of the lead actress doing a fantastic job of always being in the background and not showing much emotion, and then making the scene where the title comes from that much more of a gut punch.  There are reasons she is as guarded as she is.  

As for the bolded, I am sure you are right.  One of my other takeaways that I thought about after the movie was over was how it did a great job of conveying the constant barrage of male creepiness if not downright threatening behavior.  Dumb dude comments that we make would be on the lines of "well, I wish somebody would tell me I am hot like that" or things on those general lines.  While watching this I just felt a weight of everything going on around them, not even to do with the abortion, from the leering manager to gross dad/step dad, to being called a slut, to dude constantly trying to get them downtown, to man on subway taking his junk out.  

Like you said, not for everybody, but I am glad I got around to watching it.  
Great post.  I agree with everything you said.  I’m glad you saw and appreciated the movie.  I might have been wrong about men not getting it entirely, since you seem to have!

I haven't seen many of these, but would say Riz Ahmed was fantastic in Sound of Metal, which was easily the best 2020 movie for me and is streaming on Prime now.

Watched First Cow last night. Director Kelly Reinhardt made Meeks Cutoff and FBG Movie Club’s Wendy and Lucy. First, it’s not for everyone. It’s slow and takes a lot mod time really building the grimy world of the uncivilized Pacific Northwest in the 1800s. However if you are patient with it like one might be with a Malick film, you’ll find a tense buddy film that’s absolutely charming despite the bleak world it inhabits. It looks gorgeous and should be in the running for best cinematography even though it’s not at all flashy. I haven’t seen many movies from 2020 but the hit rate is high. 

I haven't seen a ton of these yet.  Nomadland is at top of my list but not streaming anywhere last I checked.  
There's just one problem in appreciating this sure-to-be-Oscar-nominated film: How the heck, if we weren't able to catch it at a prestigious film festival before everything shut down due to a dang pandemic, are we able to see it? Finally, we have our answer. Per Variety, Searchlight Pictures will debut the film in theaters on February 19, 2021 (after a brief IMAX run), with a simultaneous day-one Hulu release 

Watched First Cow last night. Director Kelly Reinhardt made Meeks Cutoff and FBG Movie Club’s Wendy and Lucy. First, it’s not for everyone. It’s slow and takes a lot mod time really building the grimy world of the uncivilized Pacific Northwest in the 1800s. However if you are patient with it like one might be with a Malick film, you’ll find a tense buddy film that’s absolutely charming despite the bleak world it inhabits. It looks gorgeous and should be in the running for best cinematography even though it’s not at all flashy. I haven’t seen many movies from 2020 but the hit rate is high. 
I was going to watch this one last night, but only saw it available as a Showtime add-on to Hulu or Prime.  Where did you watch?

I was going to watch this one last night, but only saw it available as a Showtime add-on to Hulu or Prime.  Where did you watch?
Showtime. My wife and I share accounts with 2 other couples so between us all we basically have every major streaming service without having to pay for all of them. 

Sound of Metal -  LOVED this one.  I think I am on my 12th movie of the year or so, and this one shot to the top.   Great acting and performances - mainly Riz Ahmed and Paul Raci.   Everybody needs a Joe in their lives.   There is a pretty big flaw in the plot (IMO), but the rest was so well made and the movie avoided areas with relationships that I think a lesser movie would have fallen for.    Can't say enough good things about this one.  

The top of my list so far is Sound of Metal, Peanutbutter Falcon, and Never Rarely Sometimes Always.   Good set of new movies that so far an older movie hasn't been able to displace.  

Sound of Metal -  LOVED this one.  I think I am on my 12th movie of the year or so, and this one shot to the top.   Great acting and performances - mainly Riz Ahmed and Paul Raci.   Everybody needs a Joe in their lives.   There is a pretty big flaw in the plot (IMO), but the rest was so well made and the movie avoided areas with relationships that I think a lesser movie would have fallen for.    Can't say enough good things about this one.  

The top of my list so far is Sound of Metal, Peanutbutter Falcon, and Never Rarely Sometimes Always.   Good set of new movies that so far an older movie hasn't been able to displace.  
I think I’ll check that out this weekend. I went with an older Antonio Banderas/Pedro Almodovar movie last night (Matador) and it was awful.

Any recommendations for a movie night with wife (streaming from home, I should mention)? She rejected stuff like One Night in Miami, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, or something from my Fellini set because she has limited taste.

I sense she’s in the mood for a comedy — Jo Jo, Parasite, and Death of Stalin would describe recent stuff that both of us liked.  I realize not every movie can be like those, but any ideas on some under the radar picks from recent flicks?

ETA: Ended up watching Bill & Ted Face the Music. All that is really has going for it is nostalgia, and Anthony Carrigan was pretty good in his role. Otherwise, meh.

Don Quixote said:
Any recommendations for a movie night with wife (streaming from home, I should mention)? She rejected stuff like One Night in Miami, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, or something from my Fellini set because she has limited taste.

I sense she’s in the mood for a comedy — Jo Jo, Parasite, and Death of Stalin would describe recent stuff that both of us liked.  I realize not every movie can be like those, but any ideas on some under the radar picks from recent flicks?
I know this is way late but have you seen Palm Springs? That is the best comedy I have seen this year. 

Watching La Dolce Vita again and I don’t even know what to say at this point. It’s probably the most spot on movie for painting the liberal west between  WW2 and COVID. Depression and despair never was so lavish or fun.

To live outside of time detached.

Oh, and I'm not sure George Lucas' American Graffiti wasn't "inspired" by TLPS in the same way as he was "inspired" by many others - plagiarized them wholesale.

The Last Picture Show

Yeah, that's probably the saddest movie I've ever seen. And rather than it being about just Texas, it now feels like it could be about America as a whole.
Great movie and just an incredible heater Bogdanovich and Polly Platt were on to start their film making careers. It’s also very easy to see how Bogdanovich fell for Cybill Shepherd.

Watching La Dolce Vita again and I don’t even know what to say at this point. It’s probably the most spot on movie for painting the liberal west between  WW2 and COVID. Depression and despair never was so lavish or fun.

To live outside of time detached.
I’m almost up to La Dolce Vita in the Fellini set. Looking forward to that one a re-watch.  

Currently in the middle of the “trilogy of loneliness.”  Watched both La Strada and Il Bidone last week with Nights of Cabiria up next. It had been awhile since I had seen La Strada — Anthony Quinn just outstanding, and that Nino Rota music is timeless.

Il Bidone was a new one for me.  It is a pretty simple story about con men, but pretty well done. Broderick Crawford’s performance was a standout. Probably the least well known of those three films, but I think that is more because of the reputation of the other two, as a pretty good flick in its own right.

I’m almost up to La Dolce Vita in the Fellini set. Looking forward to that one a re-watch.  

Currently in the middle of the “trilogy of loneliness.”  Watched both La Strada and Il Bidone last week with Nights of Cabiria up next. It had been awhile since I had seen La Strada — Anthony Quinn just outstanding, and that Nino Rota music is timeless.

Il Bidone was a new one for me.  It is a pretty simple story about con men, but pretty well done. Broderick Crawford’s performance was a standout. Probably the least well known of those three films, but I think that is more because of the reputation of the other two, as a pretty good flick in its own right.
I watched 8 1/2 the next day. I was a little mentally distracted so maybe that clouded it but I walked away like LDV more than 8.5. I had only seen each 1x prior and my opinion was reversed. I didn’t quite feel the magic of 8.5 the second time where LDV made more sense and felt much more cohesive on a 2nd viewing.

I watched 8 1/2 the next day. I was a little mentally distracted so maybe that clouded it but I walked away like LDV more than 8.5. I had only seen each 1x prior and my opinion was reversed. I didn’t quite feel the magic of 8.5 the second time where LDV made more sense and felt much more cohesive on a 2nd viewing.
I'm interested to see how both hold up for me.

I started Nights of Cabiria last night, and about halfway through -- I want to hold total judgment until I finish, but it is fantastic so far. It reminds me a lot of City Lights (Masina is pretty Chaplin-like, and it has the same tragi-comic feel). It does seem a transitional film for Fellini, where it still holds some of the neorealism elements of his earlier films like I Vitelloni and La Strada, but also some of the beginnings of the auteur flashes that would come out more in LDV.  

(ETA: Fellini said City Lights was an influence for him; so, the resemblance is not an accident.)

I'm interested to see how both hold up for me.

I started Nights of Cabiria last night, and about halfway through -- I want to hold total judgment until I finish, but it is fantastic so far. It reminds me a lot of City Lights (Masina is pretty Chaplin-like, and it has the same tragi-comic feel). It does seem a transitional film for Fellini, where it still holds some of the neorealism elements of his earlier films like I Vitelloni and La Strada, but also some of the beginnings of the auteur flashes that would come out more in LDV.  

(ETA: Fellini said City Lights was an influence for him; so, the resemblance is not an accident.)
I really need to see that one.

Users who are viewing this thread