What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (3 Viewers)

Forgetting Sarah Marshall >>>>>>> Get Him To The Greek

Russell Brand was funny in FSM but pretty annoying in GHTTG

The Lego Movie.

Totally funny as hell. Maybe we were collectively in a goofy mood, but the nonstop dorky jokes had the whole simsarge family rolling

"First law of the sea. Never place your rear end on a pirates face" Totally  :towelwave: out of context. In the movie tho?  :lmao:    :lol:    :lmao:    :lol:

The Lego Movie.

Totally funny as hell. Maybe we were collectively in a goofy mood, but the nonstop dorky jokes had the whole simsarge family rolling

"First law of the sea. Never place your rear end on a pirates face" Totally  :towelwave: out of context. In the movie tho?  :lmao:    :lol:    :lmao:    :lol:
Not sure why I saw that but it’s a movie I would never in a million years watch and it sucked me right in. So much fun.

Not sure why I saw that but it’s a movie I would never in a million years watch and it sucked me right in. So much fun.
I think it's one of the best animated/kids movies to come out recently.   I am pretty sure I liked it a lot more than my kid did though.  

The other underrated one from that time frame is Rango, but I am aware that is a less popular opinion.  

also, @Ilov80s or other pod listeners.  I saw Rewatchables has Fight Club out.  I've been thinking about that movie lately, so it's probably time to do a rewatch on my end and listen to that one.    Also, the Gladwell pod Revisionist History is doing a deep dive on Little Mermaid/Disney movies that is interesting.   Not sure that pod is in your rotation though.  

also, @Ilov80s or other pod listeners.  I saw Rewatchables has Fight Club out.  I've been thinking about that movie lately, so it's probably time to do a rewatch on my end and listen to that one.    Also, the Gladwell pod Revisionist History is doing a deep dive on Little Mermaid/Disney movies that is interesting.   Not sure that pod is in your rotation though.  
I do need to rewatch it, I didn’t like it nearly as much as the general consensus of the time. I was right in the target audience too.

I do need to rewatch it, I didn’t like it nearly as much as the general consensus of the time. I was right in the target audience too.
I think it is a bit of a Rorschach test for people.  Do you think it's disgusting and promotes that type of thinking and violence, or is it a take down of that type of thinking?  I haven't watched it in a bit, but I think it's taken on slightly different meaning for me as I watch it in my old age. 

t-minus 10 minutes (do non-SpaceAge people even know what that means anymore?) to recapturing my youth - seeing my favorite boyhood movie - Captain Sindbad - on TCM for the first time since 1966. is there a better feeling than that kind of anticipation?!

t-minus 10 minutes (do non-SpaceAge people even know what that means anymore?) to recapturing my youth - seeing my favorite boyhood movie - Captain Sindbad - on TCM for the first time since 1966. is there a better feeling than that kind of anticipation?!
i was not disappointed. twas as sloppy as most low-budget flix of that age, but dont think i need to say more than that i believe William Goldman - greatest screenwriter of all time who wrote the book & movie The Princess Bride - musta seen Captain Sindbad backinaday.

simsarge said:
The Lego Movie.

LOVE the Lego Movie. 

KarmaPolice said:
Spoiler for the Rewatchables Fight Club podcast: Bill thinks Helena Bonham Cater wasn't good - which is just an awful take. 

KarmaPolice said:
I think it is a bit of a Rorschach test for people.  Do you think it's disgusting and promotes that type of thinking and violence, or is it a take down of that type of thinking?  I haven't watched it in a bit, but I think it's taken on slightly different meaning for me as I watch it in my old age. 
Fight Club isn't a movie that glorifies violence. It's a movie about Buddhism. 

Not sure I've seen that, although The Golden Age of Sinbad is AMAZING.

i was not disappointed. twas as sloppy as most low-budget flix of that age, but dont think i need to say more than that i believe William Goldman - greatest screenwriter of all time who wrote the book & movie The Princess Bride - musta seen Captain Sindbad backinaday.
I jumped in about a half hour into it and instantly noticed Guy Williams from Lost In Space.  Leapt right into the scene of the woman in the tight-bright spider costume.  I can see how this film could make an impression on a 12 year old boy.  Lots of tight costumes on the dancing girls and the colors were bright-vibrant and ran the gamut, just splashed all over.  

If Goldman based parts of Princess Bride on Cap-Sind then whoever scored Captain Sindbad based that score on THIS ... I noticed it right away.

If Goldman based parts of Princess Bride on Cap-Sind then whoever scored Captain Sindbad based that score on THIS ... I noticed it right away.
and, as anyone who remembers the shpiel in the Music Masterpieces record ad - the longest running commercial in TV history - knows well, "Strangers in Paradise" came from the Polovetzian Dance #2 by Borodin

ETA: having written a song which mines from traditional "Bali Hai"-type themes for the tropical effect, it's really hard to steal the feel without aping a coupla notes. oddly, the secondary phrase is just as compelling but would hold up as non-plagiarized. copyright law must not have been as strong then - the producers got away with not having to pay the Sinbad people by putting a "d" in the middle of his name and lifted a very popular musical theme

Last edited by a moderator:
and, as anyone who remembers the shpiel in the Music Masterpieces record ad - the longest running commercial in TV history - knows well, "Strangers in Paradise" came from the Polovetzian Dance #2 by Borodin...
Lol, shades of after school TV and that commercial are burned into some corner of my mind as I knew it by heart.  

I noted the theme and that it came 7 years after Stranger In Paradise, love the tune so probably a past life familiar with the Borodin version.

Yer boyhood movie had so many plot twists that I was impressed by whoever wrote it.  I noted the marriage similarities to Princess Bride but Blood Simple the movie TCM had on right after made me think of another Coen Brothers flick Miller's Crossing as I saw an old 30s movie that mirrored quite a bit.  Can't recall that old movie but its uncanny so Ethan must have seen it. 

Aha just looked it up and its one of the frequently asked questions.

FAQ

The movie was/is >>>

The Glass Key

Lol, shades of after school TV and that commercial are burned into some corner of my mind as I knew it by heart.  

I noted the theme and that it came 7 years after Stranger In Paradise, love the tune so probably a past life familiar with the Borodin version.

Yer boyhood movie had so many plot twists that I was impressed by whoever wrote it.  I noted the marriage similarities to Princess Bride but Blood Simple the movie TCM had on right after made me think of another Coen Brothers flick Miller's Crossing as I saw an old 30s movie that mirrored quite a bit.  Can't recall that old movie but its uncanny so Ethan must have seen it. 

Aha just looked it up and its one of the frequently asked questions.

FAQ

The movie was/is >>>

The Glass Key

i have 8 mint, sealed pulp paperbacks (Hammett, Cain, Chandler, etc) that i fell onto while tagging along to flea markets & estate sales with a lady friend. they are worth 4 figs (was close to 5 before the internet book boom). oddly, The Glass Key (which is a fairly awful movie) was deemed the most valuable when i had them appraised.
The Glass Key is a pretty mediocre movie but I really liked the book and I find Dash the least enjoyable of the big pulp authors. I find his movies (Thin Man, Maltese Falcon) tend to be much better than his books. 

Mostly fluff lately:  T2, Woodstock 99, Fight Club, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Death Race.   Tonight I was thinking about T3 for a re-watch.  

Caught this originally at an art-house theatre, loved it.  The original Swedish version is the best IMHO.  The one with Daniel Craig is fine but THIS version is fantastic.

Noomi Rapace gives one of the best performances of this millennium.  I've got the next one in the series lined up to watch tonight.  

If you haven't caught the original Swedish version it 'should' be at your local public library and its worth seeking out. 

Caught this originally at an art-house theatre, loved it.  The original Swedish version is the best IMHO.  The one with Daniel Craig is fine but THIS version is fantastic.

Noomi Rapace gives one of the best performances of this millennium.  I've got the next one in the series lined up to watch tonight.  

If you haven't caught the original Swedish version it 'should' be at your local public library and its worth seeking out. 
I’ll have to check out the original, my dad has also been telling me about that for a few years. The Fincher one is pretty meh.

We all went to see shamalamadingdomgs Old because 10yo floppinha got to pick. In the theater even.

But at least its over.
So I'm guessing its not that good then? My buddy wants to see it because Shamaylayn is from our area but honestly the last movie I saw of his I was anything impressed by was SIGNS 

DJAC went and saw a movie by himself for the first time today that Younger DJAC wouldn't have. The movie theatre theres two and closes one is 10 mins away and uber there and back. 

Saw Snake Eyes Origins today. Very good and Henry Golding was great. This is a reboot of the HASBRO Toy franchise so get the thoughts of Channing Tatum and Rock as GI Joes out of your head. This is the first movie in what seems like a new reboot with a follow up film in the works. Real easy story telling but I just wish a bit more Japanese was spoken in the actual film. The action scenes especially with Golding were pretty cool. Fight and hand to hand and sword combat was good. Didn't like the Snakes in the film as I got a huge fear of them but it's only two scenes. Overall as a fan of the GI Joe franchise I was highly satisfy.  

I think these are the types of comedies I keep going back to - where the sideline characters are funny too.  Love Hader, so that helps a lot here.  Also love the newlywed couple.  
Even when I was watching 30 Rock regularly, that dude always annoyed me. But I'm probably in the minority. 

Even when I was watching 30 Rock regularly, that dude always annoyed me. But I'm probably in the minority. 
I find uncomfortable sex scenes very funny in general.  ie the one with Segal and the woman that kept saying "hi", or the scene in Bad Words if you've seen that flick..

Black Widow

Pretty good all around. The funny bits were funny and the touching scenes were well done. If you watch this movie considering the female sex slave market metaphor I assume the filmmakers intended, it's pretty moving. 

i have 8 mint, sealed pulp paperbacks (Hammett, Cain, Chandler, etc) that i fell onto while tagging along to flea markets & estate sales with a lady friend. they are worth 4 figs (was close to 5 before the internet book boom). oddly, The Glass Key (which is a fairly awful movie) was deemed the most valuable when i had them appraised.
You mentioned William Goldman and oddly enough the night before you posted that I re-watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Hammett automatically makes me think of Phillip K. **** and Minority Report where one of the pre-cogs was named Dashiell.

When I think pulp detective writers crossing over to film I go to Billy Wilder's 'forced' co-writer Raymond Chandler (Double Indemnity).  The story of their tumultuous relationship is epic.

Your estate score is pretty cool. 

yeah, Chandler, Kurt Vonnegut & Thomas Berger are my favorite novelists (wasnt much on school so the heavy stuff has eluded me). Hammett's snideness doesnt come thru in films the way it does on the page, whereas Cain watches better than he reads. Chandler is godly in how his characters conjugate the truth and that comes thru in any medium.

my favorite thing about Chandler and movies is that the best Philip Marlowe line ever was written was by the great William Faulkner in his script for The Big Sleep, "Yeah, she tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up".

not only would i have liked to been a fly on the wall on the Double Indemnity set, but w Hitchcock on Strangers on a Train. I really believe that flick was a metaphor for gay encounters when that was "illegal", something Chandler's talent would have been up to but it all happened when he was at his most boozy & unstable. great screenplay, whether it was Hitch or he -

Watched the other two films of the original Swedish trilogy 

The Girl Who Played With Fire

and

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest

All three made in 2009 and the possibly the best movie trilogy of all time as each film is very good, very consistent with the same characters and place without being derivative.

:thumbup:

Serpico - Had never seen it so I watched it tonight. Pacino was such a great actor at one point. Really good, gritty movie. Great story. It makes you so angry at some point. Serpico went through a lot of crap to do the right thing.

Users who are viewing this thread