What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (5 Viewers)

i had the great fortune to see Pacino live in The Basic Training of Pavlo Hummel in Boston in the spring of '72, while Godfather was still in theaters. both the squirrely, talk-thru-a-bad-tooth and the grandiose, "you're out of order, THE WHOLE WORLD'S out of order!!: energies were on full display. riveting, almost scary.

Never saw Al but in the mid-80s I saw his former gf Jill Clayborne sitting alone looking uncomfortable at the bar I worked at the top of a ski mountain in Colorado. 

Her solitary awkwardness made me a fan.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Caught a great guy-flick on Netflix.

Was not expecting Extraction to be good but it wasn't it was really good.

Highly recommended.  :thumbup:  

Caught Nomadland and couldn't help noticing the resemblance.

THIS  with  THIS
I thought it was a mixed bag. Good acting but painfully slow. Nice scenery. And If everyone was as nice as the migrants in the film, the world would be a really wonderful place. 

I thought that Minari also dealt very well with struggling people but was more emotionally involving and interesting and was much more deserving of best Picture than Nomadland. I also thought that Promising Young Woman was better, too.

Finally watched The Godfather.  It was definitely a quality movie but I don't see it as the greatest of all time or even in the top 10.  I had a hard time getting through the Brando mumble and since that has been done so much it was pretty cheesy and I had to step back and try and take away that "copy aspect" to get past it.  

I plan to do Godfather 2 soon as the story is interesting and well done.    

Has anyone see Bigger Than Life? 50s movie with James Mason and Walter Matthau, directed by Nicholas Ray. This is one of those movies that the French New Wave really praised as a masterpiece but American audiences didn't get it. It's very 50s melodrama, full on critique of the whole 50s Eisenhower era family BS. Mason kills it as a perfect dad who gets addicted to a prescribed drug and loses his ####. Holds up with the epidemic of pain killers now. Only hilarious part is they chose Cortisone as the drug- it must have been brand new because someone becoming psychotic over a cortisone addiction is so silly. 

I'm Thinking of Ending Things 

w.t.f.? 
LOL, let me know if you figure that one out. The dinner scene between the BF, GF and her parents (maybe) was amazing and the movie was super interesting but no clue what was going on. Also how funny were the TV scenes with Judd Hirsch? 

Finally watched The Godfather.  It was definitely a quality movie but I don't see it as the greatest of all time or even in the top 10.  I had a hard time getting through the Brando mumble and since that has been done so much it was pretty cheesy and I had to step back and try and take away that "copy aspect" to get past it.  

I plan to do Godfather 2 soon as the story is interesting and well done.    
does the ffa now automatically blank out fishing posts, it’s about damn time

Has anyone see Bigger Than Life? 50s movie with James Mason and Walter Matthau, directed by Nicholas Ray. This is one of those movies that the French New Wave really praised as a masterpiece but American audiences didn't get it. It's very 50s melodrama, full on critique of the whole 50s Eisenhower era family BS. Mason kills it as a perfect dad who gets addicted to a prescribed drug and loses his ####. Holds up with the epidemic of pain killers now. Only hilarious part is they chose Cortisone as the drug- it must have been brand new because someone becoming psychotic over a cortisone addiction is so silly. 
I'll have to check it out since I love James Mason in his prime.

James Mason has one of the all-time top-five voices in cinema history. 

Luv his pipes.  Your very next role, you'll be quite convincing I assure you.

does the ffa now automatically blank out fishing posts, it’s about damn time

hey gally don’t watch the first point break, total recall, or ghostbusters so that you’re not disappointed 
1.  He said it was a quality movie, liked the story, and was going to watch Part 2.  

2.  Are you equating Point Break and Total Recall to The Godfather? 

LOL, let me know if you figure that one out. The dinner scene between the BF, GF and her parents (maybe) was amazing and the movie was super interesting but no clue what was going on. Also how funny were the TV scenes with Judd Hirsch? 

I did my usual of passing out after about 45mins, but what I saw I will say that I really was intrigued by, and understood 0% of.   Nothing else, an amazing looking movie with great acting so far.  

even I would have trouble saying no to Charlie Kaufmann, who has done for screenwriting what Picasso did for painting, but somebody really should (though only because he's so much more entertaining when doing it for us instead of to us).

Finally saw To Live and Die in LA. Absolutely loved it. Anyone have any good neo noir recommendations that are a bit beyond the obvious?

Finally saw To Live and Die in LA. Absolutely loved it. Anyone have any good neo noir recommendations that are a bit beyond the obvious?

Deep Cover would top my list of obscure neo-noirs. Scanning wikipedia's very loose list for the genre, Alphaville, The Bedroom Window (Curtis Hanson before LAConfidential),  Big Easy,  Drowning Pool, Eyewitness, 8 Million Ways to Die, Gumshoe, The Late Show, Medium Cool, Le Samouri, Sea of Love, Someone to Watch Over Me, Straight Time, True Confessions, Vanishing Point,  Insomnia, The Man Who Wasnt There, Mulholland Drive, Out of Time, Reindeer Games, Sexy Beast, Suspect Zero, Tell No One.

Special credit to a guy who i believe really wanted to be the 21st C Bogie before Tony Stark found him in rehab. Robert Downey Jr did two great turns in neo-noirs - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang & The Singing Detective before giving up

And of course, i'll remind folks of the movie i'm always reminding folks about - The Long Goodbye, the true daddy of the genre

ETA: one of the reasons Deep Cover tops my list is that it was the fightin' fave of one of my Albq pals, a drunk named Steve who claimed to have gotten a DUI once on a rider mower, interrupted his wedding vows with a laughing fit (i, the best man, caused it by doing a Stevie Wonder headroll cuz the preacher peppered his remarks with the phrase "bringing sunshine into each other's lives" too much) and would run out on the field at Dukes games anytime i offered to put up the bail. if my gang were all bored in a bar, all we'd have to do is mention Deep Cover and Steve would breathe raves str8 into the face of anyone who hadnt seen it and fight anyone who'd say a word agin it. it was a good flick, but thinking of Steve while watching makes it great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't in the mood to fire back up the weird movie last night, so it was a combo of Predator/Predator 2 + Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.     Somebody else mentioned them, and I need to watch the 3 originals.   I remember loving the 1st, but pretty sure I didn't get past that one.  

Pig is available to rent on Prime. Watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, it's Nicolas Cage searching for his stolen truffle pig. No, it's not what you expect. 

Wasn't in the mood to fire back up the weird movie last night, so it was a combo of Predator/Predator 2 + Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.     Somebody else mentioned them, and I need to watch the 3 originals.   I remember loving the 1st, but pretty sure I didn't get past that one.  

One of my all-time favorites....

I assume you've seen Blood Simple?

I like @wikkidpissah 's recommendations of Le Samourai and Tell No One.
I have and I really like Le Samourai as well. Tell No One will be added to my watchlist. Ones I’ve seen that I really loved were:

Chinatown, Body Heat, Night Moves, Match Point, The Long Goodbye, Parallax View, The Long Goodbye. 

Saw this in the theatre when it came out - love this movie. Great car chase, great resolution. There's some really good acting in it, which makes some of the really bad acting (and there are a few examples of it in the film) look even worse and jarring. Also, the soundtrack was great to have in the headphones when skiing.

Saw this in the theatre when it came out - love this movie. Great car chase, great resolution. There's some really good acting in it, which makes some of the really bad acting (and there are a few examples of it in the film) look even worse and jarring. Also, the soundtrack was great to have in the headphones when skiing.
Yeah the Wang Chung soundtrack dates it but in a really good way. Some beautiful cinematography- I would love to see it on the big screen. Plus a heck of a find getting a super young Willem Dafoe in it.

Yeah the Wang Chung soundtrack dates it but in a really good way. Some beautiful cinematography- I would love to see it on the big screen. Plus a heck of a find getting a super young Willem Dafoe in it.
I really liked youngish John Turturro in it as well (along with the 2 leads).

The lack of sports on right now has me movie watching.

Escape from New York - Another one I have never seen. This may be an unpopular opinion but I think this is a movie that would be a lot better if made now. The special effects were quite primitive. So it was a fun movie to watch, but I'd love to see what James Cameron could do with it now.

Escape from LA - Figured I should follow it up with this. It was very campy. Were the special effects supposed to be that ridiculous? Is that like part of the camp? Overall, it made me laugh a few times. But I didn't love it.

Cold Dead Hands said:
Just watched the new Suicide Squad. Possibly the best DC movie. No kidding.
not sure if that is a bold statement, or just the very low DC bar to clear.  

That include Batmans for you? 

Ilov80s said:
I have and I really like Le Samourai as well. Tell No One will be added to my watchlist. Ones I’ve seen that I really loved were:

Chinatown, Body Heat, Night Moves, Match Point, The Long Goodbye, Parallax View, The Long Goodbye. 
Brick? 

Users who are viewing this thread