What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (10 Viewers)

I havent watched many movies this month
Dressed to Kill 1980
Damascus Cover 2018
Cleaner 2008

I am leaving for 3 weeks so probably wont watch any movies in March

One False Move Carl Franklin made a neo noir/crime gem. This is a grimy *** violent flick. 3 murderers on the run, 2 LA detectives on the hunt and a local small town Arkansas police chief connects them both.

I watched this one as well this month. Great performances top to bottom and a very unique narrative structure.
Very cool movie. I wish Franklin had gotten more directing gigs. One False Move and Devil in a Blue Dress are a nice nenoir combo.

Killing of a Sacred Deer - that was interesting
I’m scared to watch that. He’s a heart surgeon. Is there a lot of heart surgery stuff? I had some heart operations as a kid and that stuff freaks me out way too much.

Opening scene is him performing surgery and you see closeup of beating heart (I think it’s the heart some sort of organ). You could just skip ahead like 60 seconds

...or just skip the entire movie because it's a ####ing bummer :-)

Decided to end the month with a few movies for Black History Month

' Round Midnight fantastic performance by real life jazz legend Dexter Gordon. The musical performances here by guys like Dex, Herbie Hancock, Bobby Hutcherson make this not just a good film about addiction, aging, legacy and companionship but also an essential jazz concert film.

Moonlight I feel the same as I did when I saw it in 2016 or 17. Well made, good movie but wasn't special to me like it seemed to be for a lot of people at the time. If we are talking the work of Barry Jenkins, I actually prefer The Underground Railroad and If Beale Street Could Talk

Love 'Round Midnight. Great documentation of some of the world's best musicians. As for Moonlight, I think the hype really killed the cool vibe of this movie. It's a slow burn, obviously, and when a movie gets this much praise, it can feel underwhelming watching what is, in fact, a beautiful film.

Next Goal Wins

Those that know me well know that I like dark, scary music. And while I enjoy a dark film as much as anyone, I never pass up the chance to see something sweet and wonderful. Watch this movie. DO IT NOW. It's free on Hulu, but pay the rental fee even if you don't have Hulu. Sincere, heartwarming, and kind, this movie is fantastic. So many modern TV shows in films shoehorn in a trans or gay character, and it can feel like a device more than a fully fleshed out human being. The trans character in this movie is lovely, and her story doesn't feel forced or exploitive.

Next Goal Wins

Those that know me well know that I like dark, scary music. And while I enjoy a dark film as much as anyone, I never pass up the chance to see something sweet and wonderful. Watch this movie. DO IT NOW. It's free on Hulu, but pay the rental fee even if you don't have Hulu. Sincere, heartwarming, and kind, this movie is fantastic. So many modern TV shows in films shoehorn in a trans or gay character, and it can feel like a device more than a fully fleshed out human being. The trans character in this movie is lovely, and her story doesn't feel forced or exploitive.
Is that the Taika Waitit thing about Rongren?

Watched “Napoleon” last night (Apple TV).

That was not good. Absurd dialogue and acting from Joaquin Phoenix in multiple scenes.

Great minds think alike :thumbup: Watched the same movie on the same night and had a similar reaction.

I think the story tried to cover too many events so the narrative was very disjointed. Phoenix seemed like he belonged in a different movie. It would have been better in the theater but it still wouldn't have been good.

Watched the original Kingsmen last night, had never seen it. Pretty sure I tried to get the wife to watch it awhile back and she said it looked dumb but of course “heard it was good” from someone

Anyway it was fun watch got pretty crazy towards the end

That was not good. Absurd dialogue and acting from Joaquin Phoenix in multiple scenes.

Great minds think alike :thumbup: Watched the same movie on the same night and had a similar reaction.

I think the story tried to cover too many events so the narrative was very disjointed. Phoenix seemed like he belonged in a different movie. It would have been better in the theater but it still wouldn't have been good.
Yep. It just felt like a bunch of random scenes but together.

I laughed out loud on a few occasions with some of his lines because they were so bizarre or the way he said them was just off.

“Fate brought me here to eat this pork chop!”

Can't I remember if I mentioned what a waste of time Napoleon was. Pretty disappointing
I thought it worked better as a comedy than a drama. He was such a little freak. The battle scenes were impressive as well. The story didn’t all connect well though. Felt like parts were missing.
Comedy would've been better, for sure. I did laugh at how much they showed him crying.... basically his only emotion. Felt like Phoenix phoned it in here.

And felt like I'd seen the battle scenes already and done better in The Patriot.

Totally agree about the narrative structure being a mess.

Yep. It just felt like a bunch of random scenes but together.

I laughed out loud on a few occasions with some of his lines because they were so bizarre or the way he said them was just off.

“Fate brought me here to eat this pork chop!”

The wife is convinced that with that performance Phoenix wanted out... Not just of the movie, but Hollywood entirely.

But totally agree here. They tried to cover so much- like a wiki page highlight reel- that there wasn't anything behind it. This happened, then this happened, then this happened, and Napoleon cried.

Slacker - Watched this today. Richard Linklater's first, low budget movie. It's not really a story as just following one Austin hippie slacker to the next througout a day in the late 80s. As an Austin resident since 2010, it was pretty entertaining. And makes so - ever so slightly - long for the old Austin. And you can see the promise of Linklater.

Slacker - Watched this today. Richard Linklater's first, low budget movie. It's not really a story as just following one Austin hippie slacker to the next througout a day in the late 80s. As an Austin resident since 2010, it was pretty entertaining. And makes so - ever so slightly - long for the old Austin. And you can see the promise of Linklater.
I should know. I'm a Medical doctor.

Saw this is in the theaters when it was released. Combination of the concept... Continual and ever changing movement from one person/protagonist to the next and the sort of charm built into each of them and their interactions... Made it all work in spite of itself. Enough so that I made a point of checking out his next couple movies just because he was involved.

Eta... Didn't hurt that those were Dazed and Before Sunrise.

Watched the original Kingsmen last night, had never seen it. Pretty sure I tried to get the wife to watch it awhile back and she said it looked dumb but of course “heard it was good” from someone

Original you mean Eggsy vs Samuel L ?

Original you mean Eggsy vs Samuel L ?

Yeah not the prequel or whatever
#2 was ok but I really liked this one

I hated the third/prequel whatever it was

I’m partway through watching as well, and feel the same. Usually love historical epics, but this one not really grabbing me. Disjointed narrative the problem for me too.

Movies I watched in February

One False Move (1991 - C. Franklin)
Five Graves to Cairo (1943 - B. Wilder)
Gandhi (1980 - R. Attenborough)
The Front Page (1974 - B. Wilder)
What's New Pussycat? (1965 - C. Donner)
Past Lives (2023 - C. Song)
Arise My Love (1940 - M. Leisen)
You Hurt My Feelings (2023 - N. Holofcener)
Cafe Society (2016 - W. Allen)
Showgirls (1995 - P. Verhoeven)
Johnny Dangerously (1984 - A. Heckerling)
If Beale Street Could Talk (2018 - B. Jenkins)
American Sniper (2014 - C. Eastwood)
Ace in the Hole (1951 - B. Wilder)
Shampoo (1975 - H. Ashby)
The Great McGinty (1940 - P. Sturges)
So Close (2002 - C. Yuen)
Falling for Figaro (2020 - B. Lewin)
The Last American Hero (1973 - L. Johnson)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956 - A. Hitchcock)
Rye Lane (2023 - R. Allen-Miller)
Captain Kidd’s Kid - short (1919 - H. Roach)
The Philadelphia Story (1940 - G. Cukor)
Hulk (2003 - A. Lee)
Set It Off (1996 - F. G. Gray)
Inside Man (2006 - S. Lee)
Seduced and Abandoned (1964 - P. Germi)
Fruitvale Station (2013 - R. Coogler)
Us (2018 - J. Peele)
Hoodlum (1997 - B. Duke)

I watched 30 movies in a month with 29 days. What can I say? It rained a lot. The unbolded titles have already been written up at length in the Billy Wilder DotM thread so I’ll just mention the bolded ones.

For Black History Month, I watched seven films by Black directors. One False Move is a taut thriller mostly set in a small Arkansas town. Everybody is great in it but Bill Paxton steals the show as Sheriff “Hurricane” Dixon. If Beale Street Could Talk was Barry Jenkins followup to his Oscar winning Moonlight. It’s beautifully and lyrically filmed as the sad story of the couple unfolds. Fruitvale Station tells a similar story of a young Black man descending into tragedy. Ryan Coogler’s cinema verite style is completely different from Jenkins’ with a lot of shaky handheld camera shots. Fruitvale Station really hit hard for me because of the familiar Bay Area setting and the kids reminded me of members of my extended family. On the lighter side, Rye Lane is a delightful romantic comedy with very colorful London settings. I don’t know why I didn’t write it up for the Wilder thread but its theme is similar to You Hurt My Feelings.

Set It Off is an awkward mix of comedy, action and tragedy with Queen Latifah, Jada Pinkett and Vivica Fox as unlikely bank robbers. It had its moments but it was pretty heavy handed. Inside Man is a much better heist movie directed by Spike Lee. I realized about 15 minutes in that I’d seen it before but I continued. It works better as a New York City movie than for its far-fetched robbery plot but it’s an enjoyable watch with Denzel and Clive Owen matching wits. Us was more creepy than scary for me. It’s not really a zombie but it kind of plays like one. I still don’t understand the whole Hands Across America business. Finally, there’s Hoodlum, a 30s gangster movie directed by Bill Duke about Bumpy Johnson the godfather of Harlem. It’s not a great movie but has some strong performances from Laurence Fishburne, Andy Garcia and (especially) Tim Roth.

I’d never seen Gandhi before but became interested after reading a book about the India-Pakistan partition. The epic scale of the film is still impressive but the slow pacing and portentous moralizing turned me off. What’s New Pussycat? is a mess with some 60s charm and a great cast but a mess nonetheless. I didn’t love Past Lives as much as @Ilov80s did but I have to admit it’s stayed with me more than most of the movies I’ve watched this month. Well, maybe Showgirls stayed with me more. It’s a classic of sorts that has to be seen to be believed.

American Sniper had some incredibly tense action sequences and was more nuanced than I expected. It’s not a movie I’ll ever watch again but I’m glad I saw it once. So Close is a silly Hong Kong action movie about a pair of female assassins. I must have been really stoned when I watched it because I can’t remember the plot two weeks later. Falling For Figaro is a English comedy about a woman who wants to become an opera singer. Joanne Lumley as her foul tempered mentor was the best thing about it but the movie lagged in the second half as her appearances became less frequent. Good music if you like opera. On the other end of the spectrum, The Last American Hero starred Jeff Bridges as a bootlegger turned NASCAR driver. Bridges was good as he always is along with a cast of great 70s character actors.

Hitchcock’s remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much isn’t as good as the original. Even the suspenseful bits go on for way too long. But I still felt compelled to finish it when I started watching it. Captain Kidd’s Kid was a silent Hal Roach two reeler starring Harold Lloyd. I’m not a big fan of Lloyd’s bland character but the slapstick was well done and we laughed a couple of times. Ang Lee’s Hulk is an original take on the superhero genre. I thought it was very entertaining and better than more recent MCU efforts in spite of its primitive CGI.

I’m partway through watching as well, and feel the same. Usually love historical epics, but this one not really grabbing me. Disjointed narrative the problem for me too.
Thank you, I was trying to describe the movie and it was just...wtf? through the whole thing. I know nothing of Napoleon and I feel like I know less now. They did him a disservice with this movie.

@Eephus nice list of movies, lots of ones I have mentioned really liking recently: If Beale Street, Rye Lane, Past Lives, One False Move. Nice to see we were generally on the same page

@Eephus nice list of movies, lots of ones I have mentioned really liking recently: If Beale Street, Rye Lane, Past Lives, One False Move. Nice to see we were generally on the same page

I've found the Director of the Month club has brought a little more focus to my viewing habits. I still watch weird stuff but it's probably more like 20% vs. the 40% it used to be.

Scrapper

Now I’m clearly a sucker for movies about kids- especially ones with some trouble as I love The Florida Project, Aftersun, The Kid, etc. but I highly recommend Scrapper on Showtime/Paramount. It’s a 2023 British movie about a 12 year old girl whose mom died and she goes about trying to fake social services into thinking her uncle moved in while she’s actually living alone. It’s funny, sentimental, sad, heartwarming. All that stuff. The kid playing little Georgie is a riot. She’s not an easy kid to deal with and is full of attitude but in a redeeming way. It’s a quick 90 mins and well worth your time if you like this kind of thing.

Time Trap (Netflix): Time travel movie that had some Goonies in it, some neat mechanics... it entertained me. I'm a sucker for time travel movies. It has a 6.2 IMDB rating - I would go higher than that because it seemed pretty consistent, had some surprises, and didn't take the typical ending.

Next Goal Wins

Is that the Taika Waitit thing about Rongren?

Yes.

Decided to end the month with a few movies for Black History Month

' Round Midnight fantastic performance by real life jazz legend Dexter Gordon. The musical performances here by guys like Dex, Herbie Hancock, Bobby Hutcherson make this not just a good film about addiction, aging, legacy and companionship but also an essential jazz concert film.

Moonlight I feel the same as I did when I saw it in 2016 or 17. Well made, good movie but wasn't special to me like it seemed to be for a lot of people at the time. If we are talking the work of Barry Jenkins, I actually prefer The Underground Railroad and If Beale Street Could Talk

As for Moonlight, I think the hype really killed the cool vibe of this movie. It's a slow burn, obviously, and when a movie gets this much praise, it can feel underwhelming watching what is, in fact, a beautiful film.
I thought the first 2/3 were excellent and the last 1/3 really dragged. Still a good film overall.

Greenland on Prime. I enjoyed this considerably more than I thought I would. For an end of the world disaster movie they focused only on regular old human stuff, no massive special effects like 2012 just a father and his family. Even the dramatic and violent parts were....kinda real? In a Hollywood way.

Eh, like I said. Emjoyed it.

Then I watched Damsal on Netflix. Millie Bobbie Brown is pretty good and will probably end up being this generations Meryl Streep. The dragon wasn't too stupid. Most of the other acting was. No complaints on this one. Not a 5 star movie by any stretch but for the genre was entertaining enough.

Greenland on Prime. I enjoyed this considerably more than I thought I would. For an end of the world disaster movie they focused only on regular old human stuff, no massive special effects like 2012 just a father and his family. Even the dramatic and violent parts were....kinda real? In a Hollywood way.

Yup. A sufficient thriller.
Then I watched Damsal on Netflix. Millie Bobbie Brown is pretty good and will probably end up being this generations Meryl Streep. The dragon wasn't too stupid. Most of the other acting was. No complaints on this one. Not a 5 star movie by any stretch but for the genre was entertaining enough.
I don't know if this is a compliment.

Time Trap (Netflix): Time travel movie that had some Goonies in it, some neat mechanics... it entertained me. I'm a sucker for time travel movies. It has a 6.2 IMDB rating - I would go higher than that because it seemed pretty consistent, had some surprises, and didn't take the typical ending.
REALLY liked this one. Was a sneaky good find imo and 100% agree with the bolded.

Wife and I enjoyed Greenland quite a bit. :thumbup:

We just reached Fast X.. Hadn't seen it since its theater run.
Man, forgot how intense it is..
Wife, who isn't a fan of :popcorn: movies even said at one point "I forgot how much this movie sucked you in"

Next Goal Wins

The documentary (same name) is my favorite sports documentary ever. I’m stubbornly avoiding the movie just because I can’t imagine a fictional re-telling does justice to the real story.

Next Goal Wins

The documentary (same name) is my favorite sports documentary ever. I’m stubbornly avoiding the movie just because I can’t imagine a fictional re-telling does justice to the real story.
Now I want to watch both!

Poor Things - maybe I am just an idiot, but this felt like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory crossed with Showgirls. And somehow this is Oscar worthy? Ok.

Gerard Butler always delivers.

Gerard Butler always delivers.
GEOSTORM!

Alright f-it, it's Banshees time

Happy St Patricks ☘️

ETA: Not sure 2022 was a great movie year but the Mount Rushmore of Banshees, EEAO, Tar and Aftersun are so strong for any year and that doesn't even include Babylon which is a sight to behold.

Last edited:
The Quiet Girl (2022)

The first Irish film to get an Oscar nomination for best foreign feature. This movie was absolutely lovely. Now it hit me right in my soft spot- young girl in a neglectful home, moves in with some distant relatives and experiences a loving home for the first time in her life. Given some of my recent life experiences, this thing was on a tee for me. But seriously, it's such a beautiful movie. Slow, sweet, well shot, well acted. An exceptional debut film. Had me in tears. It's on Hulu.

Watched "On the Line" with Mel Gibson. Wasn't too bad until the ending which came out of left field and was absolutely terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread