What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (8 Viewers)

I haven't had a chance to see Whale yet, but I'm an Arronofsky fan - so it's inevitable. Anyone who watched TRUST on FX knows that Brendan Fraser has developed into a fantastic dramatic actor. If you want to hear a great interview, check out Marc Maron's WTF podcast with Fraser. Very heavy at times, but well worth the listen.

You People on Netflix was pretty good. Jonah Hill/Eddie Murphy etc. Definitely a flick you can watch with your wife.

Man, this movie COULD have been great.

The first 30-45 minutes were crackling with excellent dialogue and acting. But Lord does this movie have some flaws. First, Eddie Murphy and Julia Louis Dreyfus - two of America's finest comic actors - are reduced to monochromatic cyphers who's only function is to propel the plot forward. All that loud, cringy **** with race and culture becomes so Johnny-one-note, Mrs. Dogg gave up. I am glad I finished the movie - as the emotional impact of the end was worth waiting for. But someone should have tapped Hill on the shoulder and begged him to write better material for Murphy and Dreyfus.

Wow, All Quiet on the Western Front is a lot to take in. Crushing moving to watch, but haven't decided how I'd rate it.

Just watched this. I mean - its an exceptionally well made movie. And certain shots are (its weird to use this word for this movie) beautiful.

But holy moly is it horrifying. War is very bad.

You People on Netflix was pretty good. Jonah Hill/Eddie Murphy etc. Definitely a flick you can watch with your wife.

Man, this movie COULD have been great.

The first 30-45 minutes were crackling with excellent dialogue and acting. But Lord does this movie have some flaws. First, Eddie Murphy and Julia Louis Dreyfus - two of America's finest comic actors - are reduced to monochromatic cyphers who's only function is to propel the plot forward. All that loud, cringy **** with race and culture becomes so Johnny-one-note, Mrs. Dogg gave up. I am glad I finished the movie - as the emotional impact of the end was worth waiting for. But someone should have tapped Hill on the shoulder and begged him to write better material for Murphy and Dreyfus.

I liked it. Jonah is a solid actor and the main girl was pretty easy on the eyes
Some of its a bit cringy, but overall enjoyed it

Wow, All Quiet on the Western Front is a lot to take in. Crushing moving to watch, but haven't decided how I'd rate it.

Just watched this. I mean - its an exceptionally well made movie. And certain shots are (its weird to use this word for this movie) beautiful.

I highly recommend reading the book, the movie kind of made a mess of it. The movie is certainly horrific but I don't think it comes close to capturing the horror of the book and of the actual war itself. Unreal that people lived through WW1, the Great Depression and WW2. A good reminder of how safe and simple our lives are.

Tar - Just finished watching this. I saw someone wrote above that he or she had watched it twice. I can't imagine doing that.

Everything said about it is accurate. Cate Blanchett is brilliant. Its a fantastically made film with so much subtlety (I especially liked the sounds of the movie and how that showed how she lived). It was also very different than I expected. I didn't know the story so I went into it thinking it would be Whiplash on a grander scale. It was not that. It was very well done. And not very fun to watch. That's why I can't imagine watching it again.

Re: All quiet on the Western Front.
should be required watching/reading for all young kids. war has been held as a high honor for those that serve. it is an honorable pursuit, but in the end it is just a bunch of fat politicians & war mongering generals sending a bunch of young kids who know no better, into pure hell. all for the sake of what? real estate? saving face? sorry for the diatribe, but we lost 58,000 kids in Vietnam over politics. That is just Americans.
Beer got the better of me on this one.
Later dudes & dudettes.

Tar - Just finished watching this. I saw someone wrote above that he or she had watched it twice. I can't imagine doing that.

Everything said about it is accurate. Cate Blanchett is brilliant. Its a fantastically made film with so much subtlety (I especially liked the sounds of the movie and how that showed how she lived). It was also very different than I expected. I didn't know the story so I went into it thinking it would be Whiplash on a grander scale. It was not that. It was very well done. And not very fun to watch. That's why I can't imagine watching it again.
Well to put it in context, I also watched Black Swan and Requiem for a Dream 2x in a short span when I first saw them.

It wasn't fun in a traditional sense but it was so well made and I had some good laughs throughout. She's just such a heel. Similar to how one might laugh at a crappy politician. It's serious and not actually funny but the person is so ridiculous that you can't help but get a kick out of their brazen fockery. Also, the first watch I had no clue where the movie was going so that really got my attention. The 2nd watch was cool to see how they set everything up and delivered. The writing is incredible, there are so many little subtle scenes and offhand comments that foreshadow or have a double meaning.

First time watch of The Doors last night. What a mess of a movie but no doubt Kilmer is some perfect casting. My biggest question with the movie is why? What were they trying to say or examine?

It wasn't fun in a traditional sense but it was so well made and I had some good laughs throughout. She's just such a heel. Similar to how one might laugh at a crappy politician. It's serious and not actually funny but the person is so ridiculous that you can't help but get a kick out of their brazen fockery. Also, the first watch I had no clue where the movie was going so that really got my attention. The 2nd watch was cool to see how they set everything up and delivered. The writing is incredible, there are so many little subtle scenes and offhand comments that foreshadow or have a double meaning.

I liked how the film grew increasingly fragmented mirroring the character's loss of control of her situation. The first hour was very deliberately paced which kind of bothered me at the time but in retrospect this decision made more sense.

The 1984 Sergio Leone film 'Once Upon a Time in America' was epic. A little interesting facts about it's lengthly run time:

When filming was completed, the footage ran to a total of eight to ten hours. Director Sergio Leone and editor Nino Baragli trimmed the footage to around six hours, with the plan of releasing the film as two three-hour movies. The producers refused this idea, and Leone had to further cut the film down to three hours and forty-nine minutes.

Is there any hope of seeing the full, original 8 to 10 hour footage?
Having painfully gotten through War and Peace (Russian) I would much rather watch an 8 or 10 director's cut of OUATIA. That movie suffered from being so chopped up.

The 1984 Sergio Leone film 'Once Upon a Time in America' was epic. A little interesting facts about it's lengthly run time:

When filming was completed, the footage ran to a total of eight to ten hours. Director Sergio Leone and editor Nino Baragli trimmed the footage to around six hours, with the plan of releasing the film as two three-hour movies. The producers refused this idea, and Leone had to further cut the film down to three hours and forty-nine minutes.

Having painfully gotten through War and Peace (Russian) I would much rather watch an 8 or 10 director's cut of OUATIA. That movie suffered from being so chopped up.
I’ve always been interested in War and Peace. Sounds like maybe not worth it in your opinion?

My biggest question with the movie is why? What were they trying to say or examine?

The Lizard King, obviously.

I don't really know that Oliver Stone would say he was trying to do anything other than present Jim Morrison as he saw him. And your question was the main critical question that most reviewers asked or lamented: What exactly was Stone trying to say? Here are some of them from Rotten Tomatoes.

"Morrison is played with uncanny authenticity by Val Kilmer. The performance is utterly convincing without being terribly illuminating."

"The movie is weighed down by its enchantment with the mythology, as opposed to the reality, of Morrison's life -- a mythology that needs to be explored, not simply reproduced on the wide screen."

"While it has its moments, taken by itself, The Doors amounts to little more than an impressionistic look at a boy and his death wish."

Perhaps he saved his message/probity for Hugo Chavez or something...

LOL.

My biggest question with the movie is why? What were they trying to say or examine?

The Lizard King, obviously.

I don't really know that Oliver Stone would say he was trying to do anything other than present Jim Morrison as he saw him. And your question was the main critical question that most reviewers asked or lamented: What exactly was Stone trying to say? Here are some of them from Rotten Tomatoes.

"Morrison is played with uncanny authenticity by Val Kilmer. The performance is utterly convincing without being terribly illuminating."

"The movie is weighed down by its enchantment with the mythology, as opposed to the reality, of Morrison's life -- a mythology that needs to be explored, not simply reproduced on the wide screen."

"While it has its moments, taken by itself, The Doors amounts to little more than an impressionistic look at a boy and his death wish."

Perhaps he saved his message/probity for Hugo Chavez or something...

LOL.
I was generally entertained but was surprised how much it managed to both depict him as better and worse than he actually was. I read Doors members complain that the movie didn’t capture his human side and only seemed to be interested in his alter ego “Jimbo”. While it also glossed over some of the ****tier things he actually did do. Morrison is a fascinating person and I would have thought there was a story around him as a real human or maybe even exposing him as even more of a toxic POS. Instead it just seemed to want to recreate the mythology everyone already knew.

I’ve always been interested in War and Peace. Sounds like maybe not worth it in your opinion?

Bondarchuk's use of color is visually stunning and the battle scenes are among the greatest ever filmed. It's been a while but I remember it was a struggle to get through and the director casting himself as Pierre was a terrible decision

The 431 minute runtime is a tall mountain but if you think about it, it's roughly equivalent to a 10 episode streaming series nowadays.

I don't know how I missed this movie, barely remember it coming out but watched "The Other Guys" this weekend. This is one of Will Ferrell's funniest movies. There were a handful of scenes that were killing me.
Very underrated.... One of my favorites

I tried watching that one too. Gave up after a couple of hours. Whatever was interesting about the book just didn't quite make it into this production.

I believe there is a much shorter War and Peace starring Audrey Hepburn and Henry Fonda. I can't imagine that is very good even if it was directed by the great King Vidor.

I believe there is a much shorter War and Peace starring Audrey Hepburn and Henry Fonda. I can't imagine that is very good even if it was directed by the great King Vidor.
Haven't seen that, but "short" and War and Peace just don't compute for me.

I tried watching that one too. Gave up after a couple of hours. Whatever was interesting about the book just didn't quite make it into this production.

Tolstoy's inner monologue doesn't translate to film
I like the book (or did, it's been decades since I read it) and this is a crucial missing element indeed. I've seen some more recently produced Russian shows (Sophia, Catherine The Great) and this older production seemed far behind those in terms of acting and directing, as well as being more of a veneer of adaptation rather than an in depth translation of the original material.

Users who are viewing this thread