What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reggie Bush - AFS (After Fresno State) (1 Viewer)

Yesterday may be the reason Young returns to UT next year instead of entering the draft. He obviously isn't ready for the NFL.
After one poor performance? :loco:
Eh one poor performance, but now this gets REALLLLLLY interesting. Anyone note how low Leinhart ranked in the QB voting... what did he come in 4th? (the guy actually has rushed a bunch in, for the record). Anyways... Vince Young... the Aggie game was one of FEW games on which most EVERY college fan/voter got to see... 11 carries for 19 vs an unranked Aggie team (which I think is still an okay team, but many across the land think is equal to ______ (insert 5th place team in your local conference here). Passing was nearly non-existent.

fUCLA and SC will/could be a shootout, and if Reggie carries the team (which Coach Pete will CERTAINLY let him try), then it could over ppl, plain AND simple. Vince carried the Longhorns this year, but Reggie sure is fun.

Besides, ask the state of Florida... the best player doesn't win. ;-)

The Heisman is a joke.  I don't know why people get in arguments over it each year.
Because it is one of many aspects that make college football what it is. Love it or hate it, the Heisman is an award that the winner will and should be proud of.
Never said any winner should not be proud. They have all been special players. I just question some of the voters and what they take into account.
All I did was answer your question.. " I don't know why people get in arguments over it each year."
Thanks, but I already knew that. The answers I'm looking for I won't find here. It was more a statement than a question, hence why I didn't use a "?".
I understand the statement, but vehemently disagree with it. The Heisman is no more of a joke than any MVP award or any individual achievement award that isn't based purely on stats (like rushing titles or other stat leaders). Maybe a little more than the Lombardi or Butkis because it calls on a voter to compare the uncomparable - QB to WR to RB to CB to G, (BTW, is it possible for a OL to win it?) but so do all MVP awards. One thing the Heisman most emphatically does not do is predict future NFL success.
The Heisman is supposed to be given to the most outstanding player in NCAA football. In truth, it's given to the great offensive player from an outstanding team 95% of the time. For this reason, and others, I just cannot take this award as serious as others do.It might be my own flaw, but I'm OK with that.

Colin, you cite the 4 game pedestrian stretch. And USC still won. Why? They have other weapons. He doesn't need to be great every game.

The Heisman is the best player, not the best stats, but the BEST PLAYER. I don't even think Young is the best QB, that goes to Leinart. And, he's (Leinarts) not even the best player on his team.

If it was an MVP award, Young would win, because Texas would not be the team they are if he weren't there. He is the Most Valuable Player to his team. But, it's not. It's the best player, and that's clearly Reggie Bush.
:goodposting:

Fresno = Top 20

:lmao:
True, now. Fresno blew it last night. Then again, we could say this about every team in the Big 12 except Texas. I can not believe how bad this Conference is right now. I actually think the Big Least is better than the Big 12 and that is sad.

Guys - lay off Colin - if it is anything contrary to "Longhorns rule," he believes you are wrong. ;)I don't think it is really up for debate any more - IMO, Bush sealed the Heisman, and he deserves it. He didn't have simply one of the greatest performances this year - he had one of the greatest performances by any college player - - ever. 500+ all purpose yards, and your main competition for the award shytes the bed a week before the season ends - not much left to talk about.And, Colin - yes, FSU was undefeated and a top-20 team when USC played them - and they deserved that ranking. OSU has been a non-entity all year. FSU almost WON that game, they gave USC all they could handle offensively and the FSU defense held USC's offense in check. You really need those Longhorn colored goggled removed.Now, I believe the Longhorns will win the nat'l champ. this year OVER USC - that doesn't change the fact that the USC squeaker over FSU was significantly more impressive than the crap-fest Texas put out there v. OSU. Texas was FLAT - and it started at QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fresno = Top 20

Have one of the best records over last few years vs either ranked or BCS teams, can't recall, but was shocked myself when I saw it. Hell, they played SC close. Besides teams often have a hiccup game. Look at Stanford, almost beat Notre Dame, yet lost to UC Davis. What gives...how does Notre Dame JUST have to win that game, to UC Davis-losing Stanford... and get in the BCS automatically. A crime... they should fall 2 to 3 spots in the rankings, no matter what.

Fresno = Top 20

Have one of the best records over last few years vs either ranked or BCS teams, can't recall, but was shocked myself when I saw it. Hell, they played SC close. Besides teams often have a hiccup game. Look at Stanford, almost beat Notre Dame, yet lost to UC Davis. What gives...how does Notre Dame JUST have to win that game, to UC Davis-losing Stanford... and get in the BCS automatically. A crime... they should fall 2 to 3 spots in the rankings, no matter what.
Focus, please.Fresno state deserved their ranking - and ND deserves a BCS spot.

I am as much an anti-Domer as there is, but this year, they proved they deserve to play with the big boys - more than the 'canes do, and I am a 'canes fan.

Agree completely.  You should ring in on Capella's Bush thread in the FFA -- lots of divergent opinions there.  Dowling and others believe Young should and could get the Heisman over Bush.  I absolutely do not see it, and I am amazed that others can. 

Really?It's funny how everyone, in the media and elsewhere, was saying that Vince Young needed to "answer" Reggie's 500 total yard performance in order to stay in the race. Never mind that these kids have games to win, aside from worrying about the Heisman. Odd thing is, Vince already had a 500+ total yard performance earlier in the season. He ran for 267 yards including TDs of 80 and 8 yards. He passed for 239 yards and 2 TDs. Quick return yards: zero.

Was there a call in the media for Reggie to "answer" in order to stay in the Heisman race? No. Indeed, Vince's 500 yard performance didn't even register a blip on the media radar. All that could be heard was an uproar about Texas having "played down" to come from behind to beat lowly Okie State. When SC comes back against ASU, or is only up 28-21 on Arizona in the 4th, those are "gutsy" wins.

The same week, Reggie Bush went 97 yards on 17 carries against WSU. Nice stats, to be sure, but not earth-shattering by any means. Then it took Reggie 3 more weeks to "answer" Vince's huge game. Reggie had a nice game against WSU, but it certainly was not in the spectacular range. Stanford was very nice, but still not an "answer". Against Cal, he wasn't even the top rusher on his own team...not to take anything away from LenDale White. I think he's an outstanding back. When Reggie got his 500 yard game, it was "unprecedented", "phenomenal", and we heard claims that the Heisman was locked up unless Vince Young did something, and quick...because, you know, Vince hasn't done...anything...this year. Right?

So, Vince was expected to go out, in an intense rivalry game, in one of the loudest stadiums in the country, and "answer"...despite the fact that he'd already had his huge game(s). He didn't have a great day by his standards, but not a bad one by most, either, and Texas did put up 40 points and win a hard-fought game. Not an "answer", though.

Then Fresno St, the team that so many SC fans were raving about after they gave the Trojans such a hard time in the Coliseum...the team they said was a "great team" promptly came out and lost to that powerhouse....Nevada. In doing so, they gave up 38 points and 478 total net yards, 289 on the ground.

Nevada's top rusher gained 146 yards and 3 TDs on 16 carries. That's 9.1 yards per carry, folks. Who is this guy? I'm sure you've all heard of the Wolfpack's second best rb, junior RB, Robert Hubbard, right?

What's the point?

The point is that it's ridiculous to use a moment in time to award an honor like the Heisman Trophy, which is supposed to be based on a season's worth of accomplishment.

Reggie Bush will likely win the award, and he will be deserving.

What is irritating is the way the media, in particular, and some fans, want to make this about one game...like following a stock ticker. "Player A had a commanding lead after week 6, but he stepped out of bounds on the 5 yard line while the Player B threw an unexpected TD, so he slipped back...to third"....and how people want to make it look like one of the guys is a gridiron god and the other one sucks. They're both gods on the football field. Either could win and it would not be an injustice.

It's all so ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fresno = Top 20

You're rather neglecting to take into account what a trap game it was. End of the season, eyes on a possible BCS bid. Your opponent has done very poorly this season... and is playing for the last time in extremely storied stadium, that they scheduled to be destroyed the moment the stadium cleared. Bringing back in all of their alumni to ratchet up their emotion for the game.Yeah, it was a poor game by ND, further fueled by the injury to their kicker that cost them 8 points that would have otherwise easily kept the game out of Stanford's reach. And had they lost they'd deserve to take a big plummet. But if you're going to say they should drop ND for playing a poor game and still being good enough to win, you might as well drop Texas and LSU a few spots, and USC should be down around 10th after some of the games they've had.

Agree completely.  You should ring in on Capella's Bush thread in the FFA -- lots of divergent opinions there.  Dowling and others believe Young should and could get the Heisman over Bush.  I absolutely do not see it, and I am amazed that others can. 

HE wasn't even the leading rusher on his team through the first two months of the season! I'm not saying he isn't a special player, and I certainly realize he is valuable to his team. But being a highlight reel doesn't make you the best player in the country. In his 4 games previous to Saturday, his statline is as follows:54 carries, 343 yards (or 85 pg), 2 TDs

11 receptions, 89 yards (22.25 ypg), 2 TDs

He's not in the Top-50 of Div 1 in kick or punt returns.

That is a MONTH out of his season. The notion that one game would make the difference is absurd. To paraphrase/edit a question in a CNNSI CFB Mailbag, I'm surprised he got 500+ yards with so many of you hanging from his jock.

Conversly, Vince YOung's WORST game (Rice) featured 10/17 passing and no TDs. But, hey, by the way, he had 77 yards on 8 carries. For those of you with a short memory, Young had 506 yards against Oklahoma State including 267 on the ground. As an added "better than" to Bush, he didn't get caught from behind twice inside the 10 on his big game.

The fact that some people think its an open and shut case for Bush either (a) havent been watching Texas play or (b) are enamored with highlight reels. Come to think of it, I'd be willing to wager that MANY people slobbing on Bush didn't make it through all 4 quarters of the game against Fresno but rather caught the highlights the next day. I'm not hacking on that, b/c the game was late, but come on.

Bush's best play of the year was not last Saturday, it was pushing Matt Leinart across the line against Notre Dame.

The Longhorn average margin of victory this season has been 35.4, including beating Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech.

The Trojans average margin of victory is 27, with quality wins against Oregon, Notre Dame, and Fresno.

More: Texas averages more rushing yards a game than USC, but they don't have two 1st round RBs. Interesting.

The great part about this is we can discuss it all day long and it's unlikely anyone's opinion will change.

The worst part is you myopic Bush jock-hangers are going to have me rooting for Texas in the Rose Bowl, which will be akin to eating glass with a side of acid. :X
Just admit you are going to take him in any dynasty league you are in 1st. You would not take Young b4 Bush I would hope.

Fresno = Top 20

Focus, please.Fresno state deserved their ranking - and ND deserves a BCS spot.

I am as much an anti-Domer as there is, but this year, they proved they deserve to play with the big boys - more than the 'canes do, and I am a 'canes fan.
You can't be serious....about any of that.

Users who are viewing this thread