What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Religion is a cult (1 Viewer)

Could you expound on your feeling that it would be terrible to turn the power of science onto claims of supernatural miracles? In response to the prior poster, yes, I would like scientists (or at least objective analysts) to investigate claims of miracles, whether they are crying icons or the claims of healings due to these phenomena. I've had this one in mind, for example, considering the post of Matuski above: https://www.stgeorgechi.org/history/our-lady-of-cicero/

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you expound on your feeling that it would be terrible to turn the power of science onto claims of supernatural miracles? In response to the prior poster, yes, I would like scientists (or at least objective analysts) to investigate claims of miracles, whether they are crying icons or the claims of healings due to these phenomena. I've had this one in mind, for example, considering the post of Matuski above: https://www.stgeorgechi.org/history/our-lady-of-cicero/
Check out the work of Luigi Garlaschelli.  He is a chemist who has debunked several weeping icon/statue claims.  He has been in the news again most recently for work done on the Shroud of Turin.  The biggest obstacle is that owners/caretakers of such "miracles" usually will not grant permission for any testing to be done.  

I wouldn't say I've left religion behind.    I believe in a greater power and I live my life in a good way as a reflection of that.   The idea if I do bad things, than bad things will come back to happen to me, and vice versa....live a good life, and good things will happen.  At some level that I can't fully explain or comprehend (obviously), I feel that God has power over those good and bad things happening to me.

What I've left behind are all of the rituals that are engrained over time.... the idea that not attending church, eating a big burger on Fridays, etc are things that God looks at as "bad" and will come back around in a negative way to me.   

I try my best to just live life daily in a positive way that God would be proud of. With that I like to end each day thanking God for the good life that I have, asking for forgiveness for anything that I wish I wouldn't have done and to bless and provide good things to all the main people in my world that I love.   Guess you could call it more of a daily reflection than meditation.
You should ask for forgiveness for that stupid scale of yours.

;)  

I am all for it if you foot the bill. 

If God were actually proven then faith wouldn’t be necessary and life would be completely pointless. My soul lives forever but I had to take a 75 year detour here.....to believe in something we already then know exists.

Faith and the need for something to cling too created religion. Money and power corrupted it within minutes I’m sure. 

Religion = cult is what happens when the money and power is unchecked. 

Quite a brilliant scam really.

You were linked to a decades long million dollar challenge for anyone able to bring forth a credible "miracle".

My "scientific" approach to resolving these embarrassing efforts?   Let me take a hammer to that statue, or scissors to that painting.  

Can someone explain the thought process and walk me through how a painting or statue crying is a miracle at all?

What is the significance of an inanimate object dripping liquid?  Where am I supposed to go with that, even assuming I can get past the patent absurdity of it?  

Can someone explain the thought process and walk me through how a painting or statue crying is a miracle at all?

What is the significance of an inanimate object dripping liquid?  Where am I supposed to go with that, even assuming I can get past the patent absurdity of it?  
Because somehow (I dont know how) we have not shed all of the superstition and hocus pocus even after 2000 years of education and enlightenment.

That I can tell, this doesn't have anything to with the questions asked.
Of course it does but you would have to peel back that 2000 years to understand the perspective of someone who would be amazed by those things. Context doesnt matter if a crying statue is a sign that you better believe in God and you better do it right now.

You already know the answer.  It is the unexplained (at least presented to the masses as unexplained), and of course, anything unexplained must be from a supernatural origin.  If people want to see signs from a higher power, they will.  It fits and reinforces their paradigm.

You were linked to a decades long million dollar challenge for anyone able to bring forth a credible "miracle".

My "scientific" approach to resolving these embarrassing efforts?   Let me take a hammer to that statue, or scissors to that painting.  
This is how the churches avoid the analysis: we believe in the miracle and don’t feel compelled to submit this item to this challenge. They can hide behind the mystery. They may even be less than welcoming to an outsider who cones on-site for the analysis which, obviously, smells very fishy. But I think there are plenty of cases where the host institution would indeed allow for study at their site and those are the ones I’m saying should be studied. And, yes, I’m willing to pay my fair share as an earlier poster asked. I pay into a lot of things that I don’t like (see also: the Federal government) so even for those skeptics that don’t want to pay, I’m arguing that it’s just as appropriate for funding as some other subsidized enterprises.

This is how the churches avoid the analysis: we believe in the miracle and don’t feel compelled to submit this item to this challenge. They can hide behind the mystery. They may even be less than welcoming to an outsider who cones on-site for the analysis which, obviously, smells very fishy. But I think there are plenty of cases where the host institution would indeed allow for study at their site and those are the ones I’m saying should be studied. And, yes, I’m willing to pay my fair share as an earlier poster asked. I pay into a lot of things that I don’t like (see also: the Federal government) so even for those skeptics that don’t want to pay, I’m arguing that it’s just as appropriate for funding as some other subsidized enterprises.
Why would anyone spend money on this farce.

Users who are viewing this thread