What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rent-a-Defense Week 1. Which offense looks the tastiest? (1 Viewer)

HurryUpSundays

Footballguy
TB D @ NYJ

KC D @ JAX

Indy D vs Oakland

STL D vs AZ

JAX D vs KC

T. Pryor and Geno Smith certainly seem quite appetizing at the moment.

Thoughts and/or others?

Pittsburgh, however, is on waivers in many leagues. Should they be? Have they fallen to waiver-wire/rent-a-defense level or not? I'm wondering how they stack up against TB and IND in week 1.

Tampa against the Jets.

Tampa has a better defense than the Colts do. Revis will have extra motivation playing against his former team. While it is possible the Raiders QB is worse than the Jets I just don't think the Colts have the players to take as much advantage as the Bucs do. The Bucs played some amazing defense in last seasons opening week against Carolina as well.

Pittsburgh, however, is on waivers in many leagues. Should they be? Have they fallen to waiver-wire/rent-a-defense level or not? I'm wondering how they stack up against TB and IND in week 1.
Not crazy about them.

I think they should be a good-to-excellent real world defense. They were at or near the top in points and yards allowed last year, and even though they lost a couple big names, I don't think they lost all that much production. Lots of veterans plus **** LeBeau should mean smart play and a return to their stingy ways.

But with the age in the secondary and a couple question marks in the pass rush, I'm not sure they have the kind of big play potential likely to make them a standout fantasy D.

They'd be firmly in the middle of my pack.

I really like the TB vs NYJ matchup, but I'm not sitting out that STL week 1 ARZ matchup at home.

It'll be Palmer's first week in the new offense, and Palmer's not exactly a guy known to be stingy with the picks under the best of circumstances. We're talking about a guy who threw three picks each of his first two weeks in OAK. Then, you've got a sack-happy defense against a decimated OLine. A chance that Mendenhall is less than 100% (even though he's apparently "fine", you never write off that chance when recovering). And of course the debut of Tavon as a return man.

All that, plus a season when STL and their fans have reason to have hopes and expectations for the first time in a while, and I'm expecting an electric atmosphere. Wouldn't shock me if the STL's came out really amped up and challenged for wk 1 defensive points crown.

Last edited by a moderator:
New england shouldnt be on waivers
true. I made sure to get NE in drafts. I can't imagine being either of the teams in their division and having to play a BB coached D with those QBs. In the NFL world, that must be scary. I figure the Pats have a good shot at being the top FF D this year.

Nice thing about Indy is that they have Miami at home in week 2 and then @ Jacksonville in week 4

Rams seem to have the best defense with a strong matchup vs Zona. While Tampa and the Colts have great matchups as well, those D's just don't scare anyone.

That Ram pass rush is going to decimate that Zona o line.

I picked up Tampa in both my leagues second to last round of the draft. They'll be dropped after week 1.

I've taken the Indy D in the last round of almost every draft. That gives me a couple of weeks to figure out what to do at the position.

sharkbait006 said:
What about Detroit vs Minnesota? Ponder is a joke and that Det defensive line made Brady look like a rookie.
Minny has a solid O line and AP running the ball. Ball control offenses generally limit D upside IMO.

I Would say the Bucs D is above average. Led the league in rushing yards yards allowed by the other team, their secondary sucked though. Que Revis island,if he plays at 100 percent I'd say it has a shot to be a pretty good defense this year. On top of that their schedule as a whole is pretty delicious.

Colts are the choice.

Wk 1 home against Oakland

Wk 2 home against Miami

Heck, drop them week 3 and bring them back week 4 when they Jacksonville and Week 6 for San Diego.

For me this is down to either TB or Indy. I'll go with TB as my pick. I think Indy has a slightly better matchup but TB is more talented than Indy.

I'm on board with Pittsburgh.

Week 1: Jake Locker at home to open the season

Week 2: Andy Dalton, who historically struggles with Pittsburgh.

Week 3: The Interception Machine at home on Sunday night.

Week 4: CHRISTIAN PONDER!

Week 5: Bye :(

Week 6: GENO SMITH / MARK SANCHEZ / BRADY QUINN!

Week 7: Flacco at home

Week 8: Proyer / Flynn / the newest, hottest free agent quarterback: Rusty Smith?!

Would not be suprised if this defense is top 10 and even top 5 by the mid-point. After that, all bets are off and you could either sell high or drop them if you're not sold. I'm confident the Steelers coaching staff can gameplan a defense for this schedule though.

For week 1, there might be better options like the Colts. I like the Browns as well. But Pittsburgh should be owned and started in all leagues IMO.

Indy.

The tie-breaker is that they are usually undrafted so you can wait until the final round of the draft and take them.

Geno Smith in 1 preseason game against the Giants played worse than Mark Sanchez has in his entire Jets career. Go with Tampa.

Geno Smith in 1 preseason game against the Giants played worse than Mark Sanchez has in his entire Jets career. Go with Tampa.
While I would agree with taking any team defense starting against a rookie's first game, don't you think the rest of that is a bit of hyperbole?

Despite coming off ankle injury, missing practice for a week & a half and playing in his first game, he still led a couple of nice TD drives. Sanchez on the other hand, in his fifth season can't even complete a screen pass without it mostly likely ending up a pick six. Do I even need to bring up the buttfumble game?

I Would say the Bucs D is above average. Led the league in rushing yards yards allowed by the other team, their secondary sucked though. Que Revis island,if he plays at 100 percent I'd say it has a shot to be a pretty good defense this year. On top of that their schedule as a whole is pretty delicious.
I don't think their schedule is a cakewalk.

Users who are viewing this thread