What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Replace Cowher with Gruden in 2002 poll (1 Viewer)

do it or not?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BGP

Indians Fever
Hypothetical scenario for Steelers fans.We are going into the 2002 season. Gruden is on the outs in Oakland. You have the power to fire Bill Cowher and replace him with John Gruden. The twist is that you are guaranteed of winning the super bowl that season if you do this. If not, then everything plays out as it already has.Do you do it?Basically, what I'm wondering about here is how important is Bill Cowher himself to Steeler fans. I'm really not trying to bash anyone with this question. I'm genuinely curious about how the Steeler fans perceive their club. Is Cowher a must-have?

We trade Cowher for a guaranteed Super Bowl for Pittsburgh? Hell, I think even Cowher would sign up for that one. Mark me down for the guaranteed Super Bowl.

For a ring? I'd do it in a heartbeat, although I think it's a pretty silly assumption to say that Gruden coaching makes Pittsburgh a lock for SB ring.

No way. Cowher is the man. Kudos to Pitt for being one of the only organizations in football to stick with a good head coach through ups and downs. :thumbup: I really think Cowher will get a superbowl win if Big Ben stays the QB for at least 5 more years. Remember, the best QB Cowher has ever had was Neil O'Donnell. Let me repeat, Neil O'Donnell. Cowher consistently fields competetive teams with players who are motivated to play for him. His guys love him, and so do his fans and his organization. But, even a great coach usually needs a great QB. I know, everyone is going to bring up Billick/Dilfer. But, remember that they beat an above-average NY Giants squad with Kerry Collins. Cowher's superbowl runs have ended against some GREAT teams. Dallas' dynasty beat them. Elway's Broncos beat them. NE's dynasty beat them twice. The last time Pitt really choked against a cruddy team was vs. San Diego in 1994, when Cowher was still learning the ropes. I believe in Cowher and would not trade him for any coach in the NFL. He consistently puts out winners.

No way. Cowher is the man. Kudos to Pitt for being one of the only organizations in football to stick with a good head coach through ups and downs. :thumbup: I really think Cowher will get a superbowl win if Big Ben stays the QB for at least 5 more years. Remember, the best QB Cowher has ever had was Neil O'Donnell. Let me repeat, Neil O'Donnell. Cowher consistently fields competetive teams with players who are motivated to play for him. His guys love him, and so do his fans and his organization. But, even a great coach usually needs a great QB.

I know, everyone is going to bring up Billick/Dilfer. But, remember that they beat an above-average NY Giants squad with Kerry Collins. Cowher's superbowl runs have ended against some GREAT teams. Dallas' dynasty beat them. Elway's Broncos beat them. NE's dynasty beat them twice. The last time Pitt really choked against a cruddy team was vs. San Diego in 1994, when Cowher was still learning the ropes. I believe in Cowher and would not trade him for any coach in the NFL. He consistently puts out winners.
So, you you would trade a Super Bowl win for years of 'what ifs'? Interesting. And Cowher is as much to blame as anyone for him not having a very good QB until now. No one told him he HAD to stick with Kordell Stewart year after year after year.

And as much as I rag on Cowher here for his many home playoff losses, I actually like Cowher and think he is a very good coach. He just needs a Super Bowl victory to solidify his place amongst the greats. With his track record and years of consistency, a Super Bowl win would place him in elite status of NFL coaches. Without that SB win, though, he still comes up a bit short.

Hell no. No other coach in the NFL would have won a Super Bowl let alone make it to five AFC Championship Games with QBs the likes of O'Donnell, Kordell and a rookie. Imagine what Cowher will do when Roethlisberger is in year 4/5/6/7/8 and the Steelers have their typical D on the other side of the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread