What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Report: Drew Brees possible shoulder injury (1 Viewer)

Someone posted on Saintsreport that NFL network was talking about it on air as of about 10 min ago. Cannot confirm from work, but I assume true due to the Rapoport tweet.

I wonder if this injury will end up being like the Manning injury a few years back... NOS ends up punting the year, drafting their incumbent QB starter, and moving on from Brees.

I recall rumours this offseason about Brees being on the block following the Jimmy Graham trade

So this probably knocks the final leg out under any slim hope Cooks will perform like a WR2 this season, yes?
Yeah, plus the Saints were inexplicably using Cooks wrong. They wouldn't put him in the slot ... they just put Cooks outside and let the other team's #1 corner beat the mess out of him at the LOS. It was one thing when Patrick Peterson was doing it, but when the Bucs' CBs were doing it, too ... ugh.

So this probably knocks the final leg out under any slim hope Cooks will perform like a WR2 this season, yes?
Yeah, plus the Saints were inexplicably using Cooks wrong. They wouldn't put him in the slot ... they just put Cooks outside and let the other team's #1 corner beat the mess out of him at the LOS. It was one thing when Patrick Peterson was doing it, but when the Bucs' CBs were doing it, too ... ugh.
Or they just really suck and have to pass pass pass. Maybe the backup locks onto Cooks...who knows. He wasn't lighting it up with Brees.

Or they just really suck and have to pass pass pass. Maybe the backup locks onto Cooks...who knows. He wasn't lighting it up with Brees.
During the Cardinals-Saints telecasts, they showed some replays of Peterson obliterating Cooks at the line of scrimmage. I don't mean dirty play -- I mean Peterson jammed him legally so hard that Cooks couldn't release. Same thing was happening in the Buccaneers game.

Doesn't sound serious..

ESPN's Ed Werder reports a Monday MRI revealed Drew Brees avoided a serious shoulder injury in Sunday's loss to the Buccaneers.
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport previously reported the Saints feared Brees could miss "several games" with a significant injury to his right (throwing) shoulder. It appears those fears were allayed based on Monday's testing. Per Werder, Brees' ability to play in Week 3 against the Panthers will depend on his "response to treatment" for the shoulder injury. Through two weeks, Brees ranks 21st among quarterbacks in fantasy points. His receiver corps has been among the worst in football.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Sep 21 - 5:15 PM

Regardless of what's wrong with his shoulder, that offense is in trouble. Doesn't feel remotely close to the Brees/Payton orchestra I've seen the last ten or so years. It's severely watered down at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
During the Cardinals-Saints telecasts, they showed some replays of Peterson obliterating Cooks at the line of scrimmage. I don't mean dirty play -- I mean Peterson jammed him legally so hard that Cooks couldn't release. Same thing was happening in the Buccaneers game.
There are ways to plan around that.

Why aren't they doing anything different then? Cooks just isn't that good.

I'd like to point out that Luke McCown may no longer be a backup (per those annoying Verizon commercials). If Brees getting hurt would result in taking those commercials off the air, I'm all for it.

This offense will morph into Ingram runs, alternating to Spiller dump-offs.

This offense was intended to work with Cooks running deep and hopefully drawing safety help, Ingram pounding it and Spiller catching the dump offs. I can think of no other way to explain their offseason strategy.

Brees can probably execute that game plan with a bad shoulder as long as he doesn't get smashed into the ground too often. But I wouldn't hope for top-end QB1 stats anytime soon.

I'd like to point out that Luke McCown may no longer be a backup (per those annoying Verizon commercials). If Brees getting hurt would result in taking those commercials off the air, I'm all for it.
I wonder how much Verizon would want to make a follow up commercial after McCown craps the bed

I was beginning to think Cooks is too small for the NFL, until I realized he is nearly the exact same size as Antonio Brown and he doesn't seem to have the same issues. Whatever his issues are, he clearly isn't ready to be a #1 NFL receiver at this point in his career.

I was beginning to think Cooks is too small for the NFL, until I realized he is nearly the exact same size as Antonio Brown and he doesn't seem to have the same issues. Whatever his issues are, he clearly isn't ready to be a #1 NFL receiver at this point in his career.
Just one of my many draft mistakes this year, what Was I thinking drafting cooks so high?

Antonio Brown is light years ahead of cooks as far as route running, game iq, hands, toughness, ability to separate, get open and make big time plays. It's not even close guys.

I just want to say that was a hell of a game by Brees if he had a strained cuff or whatever it ends up being. First of all he had the heads up play of the game when he ran back and covered up the ball near his own goal line. Then he continues to keep the Saints close, they had a shot from the 30 or so to win it. Ingram had a fumble to kill one drive, and Snead fumbled to kill another, and Josh Hill dropped a pass that would have been a big gain for a first, which led to a missed FG. I wouldn't bet against him under any circumstances, he was just the Lone Ranger out there Sunday.

Payton is saying they will know more about Brees' status on Wednesday.

I'm hearing Brees is set to have surgery Wednesday, so I guess they will know more. I can't source anything, but someone who knows someone who.... says the medical paperwork is already done to have surgery.

My guess is it's cartilage. Could just be a scope to check out what they see on an MRI. If they find more or need to clean out something torn we find that out when we find out.

Antonio Brown is light years ahead of cooks as far as route running, game iq, hands, toughness, ability to separate, get open and make big time plays. It's not even close guys.
One guy said they are the same size.

Right -- my point was that the Saints aren't planning around that.

My guess is it's cartilage. Could just be a scope to check out what they see on an MRI. If they find more or need to clean out something torn we find that out when we find out.
I've heard many times that his 2006 surgery required "12 anchors" to stabilize his throwing shoulder. My assumption (not a doctor) is that "anchors" there meant sutures and not pins, staples, or something like that. I worry that one or more of those anchor sites maybe compromised, even without a tear.

Payton is saying they will know more about Brees' status on Wednesday.

I'm hearing Brees is set to have surgery Wednesday, so I guess they will know more. I can't source anything, but someone who knows someone who.... says the medical paperwork is already done to have surgery.
And I heard from a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-guy that Jeff George was seen house-hunting in New Orleans this morning.

Sean Payton's weekly conference call with local media came and went. No helpful info.

Payton on Brees: He’s day to day. We will include any update on our injury list #NOvsCAR

— New Orleans Saints (@Saints) September 23, 2015

Sean Payton: "From an injury standpoint, there's nothing I'm going to say at all." This could be a short teleconference.

— Evan Woodbery (@TheSaintsBeat) September 23, 2015

Payton, on preparing 2 QBs: It's not like we've got a zone-read package with one and a drop-back pass package with the other.

— John DeShazier (@JohnDeShazier) September 23, 2015

Payton on who's taking the reps: I'm not going to say any of that either

— Katherine Terrell (@Kat_Terrell) September 23, 2015

Payton was asked about "if you have to go with McCown.." He interrupted and said "We're not going to discuss hypotheticals on a Wednesday"

My guess is a multiple week absence to let it heal properly. Second opinions don't usually yield immediate playing time after an injury.

I'm not sure why it should matter at this point if Brees' injury is short or long term. They could easily go 0-5 and at that point why not see what Grayson has? They will have a high pick again next year with a bunch of QBs coming out and if Grayson isn't the long term answer they should probably figure that out before the draft. This is a bad team on both sides of the ball, even with Brees.

My guess is a multiple week absence to let it heal properly. Second opinions don't usually yield immediate playing time after an injury.
This is also my no-proof spidey-sense take. The James-Andrews stuff fed to Ed Werder was smoke-screen, I think. I don't believe Brees came make all the throws right now (esp based on the TB game performance).

Sean Payton's weekly conference call with local media came and went. No helpful info.

Payton on Brees: He’s day to day. We will include any update on our injury list #NOvsCAR

— New Orleans Saints (@Saints) September 23, 2015

Sean Payton: "From an injury standpoint, there's nothing I'm going to say at all." This could be a short teleconference.

— Evan Woodbery (@TheSaintsBeat) September 23, 2015

Payton, on preparing 2 QBs: It's not like we've got a zone-read package with one and a drop-back pass package with the other.

— John DeShazier (@JohnDeShazier) September 23, 2015

Payton on who's taking the reps: I'm not going to say any of that either

Payton was asked about "if you have to go with McCown.." He interrupted and said "We're not going to discuss hypotheticals on a Wednesday"

The only take you can get from this, is Payton is on the rag.

@JasonLaCanfora: Brees says he has every intention of playing Sunday
For those who want to read a little more from Brees' 9-23 press conference, see here.

One thing I found notable is that Brees admitted than in the past, he had weeks where he wouldn't throw for four or five days to rest his shoulder. Then he'd come back to play Sunday.

I think he might (read might) skip a week. But this game is now practically the whole season. If they were 2-0 I'd say he would be resting. The problem is he really can't take another blow like that, and he really wasn't hit, just caught from behind while throwing.

Doomsday scenario is losing Brees for the season. But at 0-2, and Sean Payton's offense looking very much vanilla, why bother running Brees out there to throw wounded ducks and take more punishing sacks? They are in no man's land having to force Brees to gut out the pain. I think inevitably they will have to shut him down as the Saints season goes down the tubes. And except for Brandin Cooks, their entire draft from last year was brutal. Saints major rebuild is coming soon.

He was actually hurt in the Bucs game but he wasn't throwing ducks, he ain't Billy Kilmer. The long throw was most notably bad though. And he threw just that one deep pass, except for the last play of the game where he evaded the rush and chucked one from the 40s into the back of the end zone. His receivers and lacking Graham and a full go Spiller were a bigger problem IMO.

The Carolina game poses problems - especially Kuechly & the rush - but then their offense isn't much. If there was a game where the Saints could afford to pound it and dump it off this Is it. Spiller being fully in gear would help a lot.

He was actually hurt in the Bucs game but he wasn't throwing ducks, he ain't Billy Kilmer. The long throw was most notably bad though. And he threw just that one deep pass, except fir the last play of the game where he evaded the rush and chucked one from the 40s into the back of the end zone. His receivers and lacking Graham and a full go Spiller were a bigger problem IMO.
Chances his situations improves?

I'm hoping spiller will be a huge X factor he needs to get it going, my team is garbage without him playing well...

Decent. He's been on the radio, he's been frank. He said he realizes the injury is not something to mess with and he will put it first. It's a question of the rehab which he must do in-week. Sounds to me like he needs a week off at least. Payton was being coy but Brees was straightforward IMO. But I think we all know this team always has lofty goals and if they start McCown they're likely 0-3 and those goals are mostly finished.

Decent. He's been on the radio, he's been frank. He said he realizes the injury is not something to mess with and he will put it first. It's a question of the rehab which he must do in-week. Sounds to me like he needs a week off at least. Payton was being coy but Brees was straightforward IMO. But I think we all know this team always has lofty goals and if they start McCown they're likely 0-3 and those goals are mostly finished.
First of all, am I wrong to suggest his receivers haven't been getting open (or catching the ball)? And what are the chances his targets start performing better? At least a healthy involved Spiller offers some optimism.

I don't think this season's lofty goals are the same as the lofty goals of the last few years.

Users who are viewing this thread