What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Restaurants have gotten so expensive……also recycling and phone apps (1 Viewer)

I haven't read any of the details about this Wendy's thing. But, my guess is that peak prices are going to be consistent with the current prices and off-peak are going to be less. That's the only thing that makes sense to me. I can't imagine Wendy's locations are crazy busy during lunch.
I could see them doing this as a happy hour type deal - get the app and get notified of $1 fries or BOGO burgers.

1/2 price burgers at Sonic on Tuesdays after 5PM, 1/2 price drinks all the time when ordered from the app.

The frosty is the only thing worth going to Wendy’s for.

Spicy Chicken Sandwich works for me. :bag:
i can't remember the last time i ate there. i'll try this is i find myself at a wendy's
they also have a $4 deal. small burger, fries, nuggs and a drink. think it is still there. issue i have sometimes is that orders are usually incorrect. even the simplest orders have something wrong and i hate digging thru the bag and examining everything before i leave. also, my wendy’s employees don’t really resemble the commercial. the counter guy, who i’m sure is long gone, was pushing at least 700 lbs. he was soaked from sweat and had these sausage fingers. i couldn’t bring myself to even ask for an extra bbq sauce, he was already gasping for air and making him move slightly was heart wrenching.

Wendy's repeat customer fat shaming the Wendy's employee is a fun thread twist.
Sorry but I gotta say, the guy that films himself eating a Big Mac in one bite shaming any fast food is….something

i can't remember the last time i ate there. i'll try this is i find myself at a wendy's
they also have a $4 deal. small burger, fries, nuggs and a drink. think it is still there. issue i have sometimes is that orders are usually incorrect. even the simplest orders have something wrong and i hate digging thru the bag and examining everything before i leave. also, my wendy’s employees don’t really resemble the commercial. the counter guy, who i’m sure is long gone, was pushing at least 700 lbs. he was soaked from sweat and had these sausage fingers. i couldn’t bring myself to even ask for an extra bbq sauce, he was already gasping for air and making him move slightly was heart wrenching.

Sorry but I gotta say, the guy that films himself eating a Big Mac in one bite shaming any fast food is….something

That was a cheeseburger.

And a corndog.

But not a Big Mac. I'm not THAT good.

So, I should be asking for something they should be doing in the first place?
Not going to happen. Are any of you satisfied with that-one slice of each?

As long as the consumer rewards a below standard business practice
they'll keep doing it.
No. Lettuce is an abomination, and they should definitely be punished for including it.

"Sooooo, your Cobb Salad, can I get that without any lettuce? No? Huh, ok....kinda weird but how about the Chef's Salad? Can I do that with the lettuce on the side? Are you sure? Can you ask the Chef since it's his and not Waiter's Salad? No? Gosh....I'm going to need more time, y'all go ahead and order".
What kind of animal orders a salad?

So, I should be asking for something they should be doing in the first place?
Not going to happen. Are any of you satisfied with that-one slice of each?

As long as the consumer rewards a below standard business practice
they'll keep doing it.
How much e coli do you want?

People are getting sick of being gouged and then Wendy’s announces that. Lmao. Absolutely deranged idea.
Yeah, talk about late to the party. McDonalds says they’ve hit the limit on what customers are willing to pay and low income customers are priced out. Wendy’s………..hey we’ve got an idea.

The issue with our local Wendy's is the sharp reduction in staff from pre-pandemic levels. It went from a crew of 5-6 at dinner rush to a crew of 2 and maybe a third person occasionally. Once in a while, I've driven through and seen one person working alone -- cashier, fries, grill, all of it.
That’s pretty nefarious, if corporate cuts in staffing contribute to the busy periods, which are then up charged.

In other news, I paid ~$15 for a BBQ tempeh burrito.

Pretty tasty, and filling. And with a BMI pushing 22, I was the fattest guy in the vegan restaurant.

Wendy’s clarifies what they meant:

No, Wendy’s Co. says, there won’t be surge pricing on cheeseburgers and Frostys.

The fast-food chain has moved to clarify comments on its fourth-quarter earnings call earlier this month about an upcoming dynamic pricing test. The program could be in effect by 2025 as part of a $20 million investment in digital menu boards for US company-operated stores. The plan offers Wendy’s “more flexibility” to display featured items, but the company said it doesn’t intend to use that to hike prices at busy times.

“We have no plans to do that and would not raise prices when our customers are visiting us most,” Wendy’s said in a statement on its website Tuesday. “Any features we may test in the future would be designed to benefit our customers and restaurant crew members.”

Wendy’s came under fire on social media after comments that some interpreted as calling for Uber-like surge pricing when demand is high.

Wendy’s isn’t the first burger chain to use this menu technology. As far back as 2015, McDonald’s Corp. introduced digital menu boards that make item changes and promotions easier.

To be sure, companies can use the technology to raise prices. But Wendy’s says it’s focused on value, and digital menu boards would allow the company to easily “offer discounts” to its customers, “particularly in the slower times of day.”

Bloomberg has reached out to Wendy’s for further comment.

People are getting sick of being gouged and then Wendy’s announces that. Lmao. Absolutely deranged idea.

Just another reason to avoid.

The only time I would ever go to Wendys, McDonalds, Burger King or any places like that is if I am traveling and desperate.

Culvers has been my go to if I am on the road. So much better.

Just another reason to avoid.

The only time I would ever go to Wendys, McDonalds, Burger King or any places like that is if I am traveling and desperate.

Culvers has been my go to if I am on the road. So much better.
mmmmm Culver's.

My wife and I similarly do fast food basically two times:
1. road trips
2. feeling super sad and she wants comfort food

You're the guy complaining that his Baconator was too greasy. :lol:

So when are we supposed to go to Wendy's to avoid the price surge? 10AM? 3-4PM?
I guess they don't want my regularly priced pleb money.

I like how this thread vascillates between $300 dinners with rare mushrooms topped on arctic lobster tails and the outrage of paying $9 for a hamburger from the worst fast food place in the world. Good stuff.
Never had a $300 dinner and never will.

meh, every once in a while we'll take a trip and splurge - went to Chicago and did the tasting menu with the wine pairings at Oriole.

would highly recommend.

We also like to splurge big once every year or two and I was just talking to my wife last week about possibly trying to get a reservation at Oriole later this spring/summer. We're in Indianapolis so it's about a 3-hour drive but I'll try to get a Friday or Saturday night reservation and then just make a weekend of it. I see they book 90 days out but haven't tried to actually book anything yet. How hard was it to get your reservation? Any tips?

I stopped going to Wendy's when they only put one slice of lettuce and tomato on the chicken sandwich.
You can ask for more at no extra charge. :shrug:

I stopped going to Wendy's when they only put one slice of lettuce on the chicken sandwich.
You can ask for less at no extra charge. :shrug:

I stopped going to Wendy's when they only put one slice of lettuce on the chicken sandwich.

What kind of a monster does that?

I stopped by Wendy's yesterday for a $2 Dave's double burger via their app.

Asked for light mayo and was actually charged $0.25 for this light mayo request.

Never seen or heard of that anywhere before... crazy.

I stopped going to Wendy's when they only put one slice of lettuce and tomato on the chicken sandwich.
You can ask for more at no extra charge. :shrug:

What kind of a monster does that?

I stopped by Wendy's yesterday for a $2 Dave's double burger via their app.

Asked for light mayo and was actually charged $0.25 for this light mayo request.

Never seen or heard of that anywhere before... crazy.
Serge pricing

I like how this thread vascillates between $300 dinners with rare mushrooms topped on arctic lobster tails and the outrage of paying $9 for a hamburger from the worst fast food place in the world. Good stuff.
Never had a $300 dinner and never will.

meh, every once in a while we'll take a trip and splurge - went to Chicago and did the tasting menu with the wine pairings at Oriole.

would highly recommend.

We also like to splurge big once every year or two and I was just talking to my wife last week about possibly trying to get a reservation at Oriole later this spring/summer. We're in Indianapolis so it's about a 3-hour drive but I'll try to get a Friday or Saturday night reservation and then just make a weekend of it. I see they book 90 days out but haven't tried to actually book anything yet. How hard was it to get your reservation? Any tips?
Careful. They're implementing splurge pricing.

Went to my favorite local pizza place for lunch and they have a lunch special of 2 cheese slices and a drink for $9 (used to be $7 but inflation). Not a terrible deal compared to fast food. They were touting a new deal so I thought I'd try it, a slice and 5 smoked then fried wings with a drink. Ordered it without knowing the price, $14. Guess wings are expensive. I'll stick with the 2 slices next time.

The last time I had BK was at the Vegas Airport (easily bottom five airports in the country). It was my only option. It was midnight. I was starving. I had some BBQ burger that was on display as their crowning achievement. I had intestinal problems for 4 days after eating that. Never again. That place is pure poison.
I don't disagree with you, but so is McDonalds. It's just an... interesting... line to draw between the two.

McDonald's regular cheeseburger tastes good to me. I'm sure it's some sort of dopamine trigger rooted in childhood that keeps my opinion of it positive, but I also haven't had one of those in a long long time. The Big Mac I scarfed down for Eat Off was fine. Nothing great, too soggy, but fine.
There is a McDonald's by my office here in SoCal (Irvine). It's literally a 3-minute drive from my office so I do find myself there once or twice a month.

But there's another one maybe 10ish minutes away (Costa Mesa) that I sometimes stop at on my way back from the airport when I fly back from business trips. For some reasons their burgers (notably their Quarter Pounder) are always SO much juicier and tastier than any other McD's I've been to. And, on top of it, their fries are NEVER cold. Always taste like they're fresh out of the fryer.

Sometimes when I'm not feeling overwhelmed at work I will spend the extra 7-8 minutes to drive to the further one since the quality of their food is noticeable.

The last time I had BK was at the Vegas Airport (easily bottom five airports in the country). It was my only option. It was midnight. I was starving. I had some BBQ burger that was on display as their crowning achievement. I had intestinal problems for 4 days after eating that. Never again. That place is pure poison.
I don't disagree with you, but so is McDonalds. It's just an... interesting... line to draw between the two.

McDonald's regular cheeseburger tastes good to me. I'm sure it's some sort of dopamine trigger rooted in childhood that keeps my opinion of it positive, but I also haven't had one of those in a long long time. The Big Mac I scarfed down for Eat Off was fine. Nothing great, too soggy, but fine.
There is a McDonald's by my office here in SoCal (Irvine). It's literally a 3-minute drive from my office so I do find myself there once or twice a month.

But there's another one maybe 10ish minutes away (Costa Mesa) that I sometimes stop at on my way back from the airport when I fly back from business trips. For some reasons their burgers (notably their Quarter Pounder) are always SO much juicier and tastier than any other McD's I've been to. And, on top of it, their fries are NEVER cold. Always taste like they're fresh out of the fryer.

Sometimes when I'm not feeling overwhelmed at work I will spend the extra 7-8 minutes to drive to the further one since the quality of their food is noticeable.
The main reason I stopped going to McDonald's for burgers was how inconsistent they were. Some days it really was a decent burger. Other days it was dry, barely warm, and the bun was crumbling. If I was confident I could get a good effort out of them every time, I'd probably get one occasionally with one of their online deals.

Back in the days when I commuted to work, I'd stop by for breakfast every once in a while and their sausage biscuits were also pretty inconsistent. I'd get them off the $1 menu so I didn't care too much on the days that they sucked.

There's an irony in fast food being so inconsistent that it deters customers. The whole point of them is that they are supposed to taste the same every time so that the customer knows exactly what he or she is getting. The variance in fast food places is comical and defeats the original purpose of the whole franchise arrangement.

Just too big. Everything. The state is too big. Corporations are too big. Banks are too big. The fast food chains are too big.

BIG!

There's an irony in fast food being so inconsistent that it deters customers. The whole point of them is that they are supposed to taste the same every time so that the customer knows exactly what he or she is getting. The variance in fast food places is comical and defeats the original purpose of the whole franchise arrangement.

Just too big. Everything. The state is too big. Corporations are too big. Banks are too big. The fast food chains are too big.

BIG!

Yeah!!!!! Bravo!

BIG!
Don’t forget our waistlines.

Mexican for lunch. The chips and salsa was $4.

Place was near a military base - no military discount for those deserving of the perk.

Dynamic pricing is legalized price gouging.
well Wendy's is claiming that they are offering deals and discounts, maybe that's partly bs but we will see. But it's up the consumer to decide. It's a private business and there's no monopoly or oligopoly on hamburgers.

It’s beyond stupid too.

Ok, we’ve done 5 years of AI assisted research with our AI bot Dead Dave and we’ve come to the conclusion that our surge times seem to hover around breakfast, lunch and dinner. We are about 90% statistically sure, but we are going to increase prices during these times. Dead Dave also told us people are stupid so we are going to frame it as discounted prices at non-surge time. No one will suspect that $15 Single combos are expensive. We are also experimenting with changing our $1-3 dollar menu to $5 menu by repurposing the $5 foot long jingle that Subway doesn’t use anymore.

And has been going on forever. Not sure why it is now such a big deal.
Because, like everything else in the world, the goal is to extract every last penny from every last human being out there. There is not enough money for people everywhere.

Greed greed greed greed greed. I'm just flat sick of it.

All these high prices we are paying for everything right now? Well, every damn company in the universe had to raise prices after Covid due to supply chain issues. Fair enough. But guess what:

"Hey, people were able to pay these prices and continue to do but what the hell. **** 'em. Let's just keep em there even though our costs have stabilized and gone back down to where they were before."

I am sick of making more money as a family than I ever thought I would and at the end of the month I feel like we are back to where we were 20 years ago when we first got married.

So for me, THAT's why it's a big deal now.

Because, like everything else in the world, the goal is to extract every last penny from every last human being out there. There is not enough money for people everywhere.

All these high prices we are paying for everything right now? Well, every damn company in the universe had to raise prices after Covid due to supply chain issues. Fair enough. But guess what:

"Hey, people were able to pay these prices and continue to do but what the hell. **** 'em. Let's just keep em there even though our costs have stabilized and gone back down to where they were before."

I am sick of making more money as a family than I ever thought I would and at the end of the month I feel like we are back to where we were 20 years ago when we first got married.

totally agree.
I never thought i would be making what im making right now. but it doesnt seem so great when everything costs way more than it should. generally speaking, part of the problem is people need to stop buying stuff. period. but good luck talking anyone into that.

Preach brother

Users who are viewing this thread