What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rick Gosselin's First Mock on April 10, 2010 (1 Viewer)

Donnybrook

Footballguy
Here it is:

Originally published April 10, 2010 at 4:08 p.m., updated April 10, 2010 at 5:09 p.m.By Rick GosselinThe Dallas Morning News(MCT)The St. Louis Rams owned the second overall selection in each of the last two drafts, and both times passed up a potential franchise quarterback to take a lineman.The Rams passed up Matt Ryan in 2008 to take Virginia defensive end Chris Long and passed on Mark Sanchez in 2009 to take Baylor offensive tackle Jason Smith.But Ryan and Sanchez shouldn't take it personal. The Rams don't draft quarterbacks in the first round, regardless of who's available. The last time the Rams took a quarterback in the opening round was 1964, when they selected Bill Munson of Utah.Look for the Rams to end that 45-year drought in the 2010 draft. They own the first overall selection and Sam Bradford of Oklahoma awaits their call.St. Louis even paved a path for Bradford by releasing incumbent starter Marc Bulger this month. If you don't have a quarterback in today's NFL, you don't have a chance. Bradford gives the St. Louis faithful hope.Team ......Player ....Pos............College1. St. Louis Sam Bradford QB OklahomaNFL's 28th-ranked passing offense gets a huge boost2. Detroit Ndamukong Suh DT NebraskaBest player in the draft slides to the Lions3. Tampa Bay Gerald McCoy DT OklahomaA defensive tackle in the Warren Sapp mold4. Washington Russell Okung OT Okla. StateThe Redskins need to protect their new quarterback5. Kansas City Eric Berry S TennesseeThe best cover safety in the draft6. Seattle Trent Williams OT OklahomaTime to replace Walter Jones in the blocking front7. Cleveland Jimmy Clausen QB Notre DameStarting QB Jake Delhomme is 35 years old8. Oakland Derrick Morgan DE Ga. TechGreg Ellis and his team-leading seven sacks are gone9. Buffalo Bryan Bulaga OT IowaQuarterbacks took a beating in 2009 with 46 sacks10. Jacksonville Brandon Graham DE MichiganThe Jaguars managed only 14 sacks last season11. Denver Rolando McClain MLB AlabamaHaving cut Andra Davis, there's an opening in the middle12. Miami Earl Thomas S TexasGives Dolphins ability to cover Wes Welker in the slot13. San Francisco Anthony Davis OT Rutgers49ers need to cut down on their 40 sacks14. Seattle Ryan Mathews HB Fresno St.Seahawks rushed for only 7 touchdowns in 200915. NY Giants Dan Williams DT TennesseeNot re-signing Fred Robbins creates an opening16. Tennessee Jason Pierre-Paul DE S. FloridaFreaky athleticism reminds Titans of Jevon Kearse17. San Francisco Joe Haden CB Florida49ers finished 21st in the NFL in pass defense in '0918. Pittsburgh Kyle Wilson CB Boise StateSteelers corners had only 2 interceptions in 200919. Atlanta Maurkice Pouncey C FloridaCan walk in as a starter at either guard or center20. Houston C.J. Spiller HB ClemsonTexans averaged only 3.5 yards per carry in 200921. Cincinnati Jermaine Gresham TE OklahomaCarson Palmer needs a safety valve receiver22. New England Sergio Kindle OLB TexasPatriots managed only 31 sacks last season23. Green Bay Jerry Hughes OLB TCUPackers need a pass-rush complement to Clay Matthews24. Philadelphia Brian Price DT UCLAAndy Reid loves drafting linemen25. Baltimore Dez Bryant WR Okla. StateA good player always seems to slide to the Ravens26. Arizona Demaryius Thomas WR Ga. TechDeparture of Anquan Boldin leaves big shoes to fill27. Dallas Mike Iupati G IdahoCowboys need to get younger on the offensive line28. San Diego Jahvid Best RB CalLife without LaDainian Tomlinson begins for Chargers29. NY Jets Devin McCourty CB RutgersJets need a shutdown corner opposite Darrelle Revis30. Minnesota Kareem Jackson CB AlabamaTo beat Drew Brees, you need depth at cornerback31. Indianapolis Rodger Saffold G IndianaAFC champion drafts a walk-in starter32. New Orleans Sean Weatherspoon OLB MissouriLosing Scott Fujita in free agency creates an opening

Thanks for posting. Looks like Matthew is flying up the boards and CJ is sliding down a bit. Rick is the most connected mock drafter, but his early mocks aren't always spot on. His mock the morning of the draft will be pretty close.

Dez Bryant to the Ravens isn't going to happen. The Ravens don't usually draft 1st round WR's(Clayton and that's it) it is not in their draft philosophy...I have talked to one of their scouts.

Thanks for posting. Looks like Matthew is flying up the boards and CJ is sliding down a bit. Rick is the most connected mock drafter, but his early mocks aren't always spot on. His mock the morning of the draft will be pretty close.
I've been reading that spiller is very likely to go in the top 10. I don't think he's falling at all, rising if anything.I know bloom's scout guy has spiller going 6th to Seattle.

I've been reading that spiller is very likely to go in the top 10. I don't think he's falling at all, rising if anything.I know bloom's scout guy has spiller going 6th to Seattle.
I have read that as well. I was pointing out what Rick had going on in his mock, not my thoughts.

I know this mock is not supposed to be the most accurate but I do like the fact that he has CJ Spiller and Best only 8 draft picks apart unlike a lot of mocks which seperate them by half a round or more. I think they are alot closer talent-wise than many people think.

We will have to see if he continues to think that way when his top 100 is released.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this mock is not supposed to be the most accurate but I do like the fact that he has CJ Spiller and Best only 8 draft picks apart unlike a lot of mocks which seperate them by half a round or more. I think they are alot closer talent-wise than many people think. We will have to see if he continues to think that way when his top 100 is released.
Very true....Best has more wiggle, creativity, patience.....Spiller has more burst, speed, and probably hands(altho close).

I know this mock is not supposed to be the most accurate but I do like the fact that he has CJ Spiller and Best only 8 draft picks apart unlike a lot of mocks which seperate them by half a round or more. I think they are alot closer talent-wise than many people think. We will have to see if he continues to think that way when his top 100 is released.
Very true....Best has more wiggle, creativity, patience.....Spiller has more burst, speed, and probably hands(altho close).
Another place they differ is that spiller is far more deliberate in his moves and doesn't lose momentum with a lot of side to side movements. He hits the hole with a deliberate cut or two and then takes off. Best moves side to side a lot and leaves himself open to huge hits from weird angles. Bests running style isn't near as efficient, he seems to make moves just for the sake of making moves at times. All spillers moves have a purpose and he rarely gets hit from behind or the side as he's always moving forward with purpose.

My quick thoughts...

#9 (Bulaga) --- I don't see the Bills using a Top-10 pick to select the 3rd-best player at his respective position. I think the new regime will want a face for the franchise and Bulaga is not the face they want.

#10 (Graham) --- As a 4-3 D, why would the Jags select a 3-4 OLB?

#14 (Mathews) --- I think Carroll preference for smaller RB's (Bush, McKnight) inside RBBC's will lead to Spiller getting the call before Mathews.

#17 (Haden) --- I like this call. Everybody seems to ignore Haden's obvious lack of speed and continue to insist that he's a Top-10 pick.

I don't know what people see in Best

1) I don't like his size (5 10 195)

2) Past rb's from his school (Forsett, Arrington and Lynch not to successful) More of a system rb's scheme

3) Big Injury (I know its his only injury but a neck injury is major)

I wouldn't touch him until the third round

I think there is a huge difference between him and Spiller on a talent level

I don't know what people see in Best1) I don't like his size (5 10 195)2) Past rb's from his school (Forsett, Arrington and Lynch not to successful) More of a system rb's scheme3) Big Injury (I know its his only injury but a neck injury is major)I wouldn't touch him until the third roundI think there is a huge difference between him and Spiller on a talent level
-Spiller's size isn't much better-Name a Clemson RB that has succeeded lately-Spiller hasn't been near as productive(as a RB) as Best-Spiller still battled with small injuries in his limited touches at clemson

I stopped reading when he said McCoy is in the Warren Sapp mold...that's just plain stupid because Suh is the one that is in the mold of a Warren Sapp, not McCoy. And he said Suh was the best player in the draft...so how can McCoy be the next Warren Sapp? If McCoy is Sapp, then what is Suh? And if he's that good which I think he is than why are the Bucs just sitting on their hands allowing him to slide to Detroit at the #2?

I still think the Lions will take a LT up top and then grab a DT in the 2nd round, plenty available.

Okung has been the guy I had them pegged for for awhile. But maybe Suh is too big a talent. They can look in the 2nd for a LT/RT but the talent drops off a lot to me.

Ministry of Pain said:
I stopped reading when he said McCoy is in the Warren Sapp mold...that's just plain stupid because Suh is the one that is in the mold of a Warren Sapp, not McCoy. And he said Suh was the best player in the draft...so how can McCoy be the next Warren Sapp? If McCoy is Sapp, then what is Suh? And if he's that good which I think he is than why are the Bucs just sitting on their hands allowing him to slide to Detroit at the #2?
You should have kept reading. "In the mold of" means plays like not is as good as. McCoy's game is like Sapp's. He's a penetrator who uses his speed. Suh uses his strength. McCoy is the better pass rusher. Suh is the better run stuffer.

Blackjacks said:
I don't know what people see in Best1) I don't like his size (5 10 195)2) Past rb's from his school (Forsett, Arrington and Lynch not to successful) More of a system rb's scheme3) Big Injury (I know its his only injury but a neck injury is major)I wouldn't touch him until the third roundI think there is a huge difference between him and Spiller on a talent level
1580 yards on 8.1 YPC with 15 TDs as a sophomore in '08? A 5-TD game @ Minnesota as a junior? Good receiver, insane moves, great returner.He reminds me of Brandon Graham, a great college player who I think will be very good in the pros even if he doesn't have NFL measurables. Torched Miami with 186 yards (9.3 YPC) in the Emerald Bowl last year. And I don't think his size is all that small (a 5'10, 195 junior becomes 5'10, 205 in the pros, which is roughly the size of many of the elite backs in the NFL/NFL history.)

Ministry of Pain said:
You should have kept reading. "In the mold of" means plays like not is as good as. McCoy's game is like Sapp's. He's a penetrator who uses his speed. Suh uses his strength. McCoy is the better pass rusher. Suh is the better run stuffer.
You've got some nerve telling M.O.P. what he should or should not do. :goodposting:

Ministry of Pain said:
Why does everyone say this? Not picking on you because I've heard this just about everywhere, despite Suh having 7 more sacks over the last two seasons and McCoy having exactly one multi-sack game in his career? Suh had pass rushing clinics against Mizzou and UT that McCoy never had. Suh also had more TFL in '09 and '08. Checking the measurables, Suh also has a big edge when it comes to vertical leap, which measures explosiveness. They have similar 10-yard and 40-yard splits. Just don't get why this is the conventional theory.

Blackjacks said:
1580 yards on 8.1 YPC with 15 TDs as a sophomore in '08? A 5-TD game @ Minnesota as a junior? Good receiver, insane moves, gHe reminds me of Brandon Graham, a great college player who I think will be very good in the pros even if he doesn't have NFL measurables. Torched Miami with 186 yards (9.3 YPC) in the Emerald Bowl last year. And I don't think his size is all that small (a 5'10, 195 junior becomes 5'10, 205 in the pros, which is roughly the size of many of the elite backs in the NFL/NFL history.)
Nice post Chase,I watched that Minnesota game last year...and I think Best did that with a tweaked knee...so 5 TD's in limited action.

Spiller, Best, someone else... let's be honest, we are all just guessing and no one really knows. Chris Johnson was taken with the 24th pick in 2008 as the 5th RB drafted, after McFadden, Stewart, Felix Jones, and Mendenhall. At the time I remember LOTS of so called experts saying the Titans really reached on him too. Ray Rice was taken a round later than that, after Forte, with the 55th pick. And Jamal Charles in the 3rd with the 73rd pick, after Kevin Smith.

Throw a dart fellas. You may hit a bulls eye or you may embed it into the wall and miss the board completely.

Ministry of Pain said:
Why does everyone say this? Not picking on you because I've heard this just about everywhere, despite Suh having 7 more sacks over the last two seasons and McCoy having exactly one multi-sack game in his career? Suh had pass rushing clinics against Mizzou and UT that McCoy never had. Suh also had more TFL in '09 and '08. Checking the measurables, Suh also has a big edge when it comes to vertical leap, which measures explosiveness. They have similar 10-yard and 40-yard splits. Just don't get why this is the conventional theory.
Suh did all that while playing a 2-gap assignment and McCoy playing a 1-gap. Which makes it even more impressive. I am also confused by all the talk of Suh being a guy that eats up blockers and McCoy being the better penetrator. Where is that coming from?

Ministry of Pain said:
I also wondered why McCoy was considered a better pash rusher and someone on TV, can't remember who, finally explained why that theory exists. Their belief and I guess one shared by some talent evaluators is that Suh relied on power and he was able to pressure the QB because he was able to physically overpower the opposing player and that's a skill set that won't be so easy against NFL caliber OL every week. McCoy is considered to be technically superior and that skill set is believed to translate better. Not saying I agree just repeating what the explanation. Personally I prefer Suh's production and measureables. I think using basketball as a comparison is a good way to explain this. Say you have a 7 footer in college who just dominates because of his pure size against smaller players and you have a 6-10 guy who is not as dominate but displays more skill than the 7 footer. As both of these players enter a league were they will always go against similar sized players often the more skilled guy emerges over the play who was more physically dominant at the last level.

My recollection of Goose's mocks is that the first is where players are rated by NFL GMs. The 2nd is based on team needs. And the last one is where guys are likely to be drafted.

He has said that he doesn't watch film on draftees. He talks to executives. So that he doesnt know which of Suh and McCoy is more Sapp like isn't a major surprise. He's not watching them play. Just talking to those who watch them play.

My recollection of Goose's mocks is that the first is where players are rated by NFL GMs. The 2nd is based on team needs. And the last one is where guys are likely to be drafted.
That's pretty much it. In the hard copy of the paper is this comment by the mock.The first draft projection is based on Rick Gosselins draft board of the 32 top rated players, the second focuses on team need and the third is how Gosselin sees the draft playing out.

What's interesting is that I think Spiller really benefits by dropping to HOU. If he can be disciplined enough to take the cut/hole called in the huddle, he could really thrive in their blocking scheme.

What's interesting is that I think Spiller really benefits by dropping to HOU. If he can be disciplined enough to take the cut/hole called in the huddle, he could really thrive in their blocking scheme.
But would they twice go for a small RB....seeing what happened to Slaton?Plus, isn't it the MO of a zone scheme to not spend a high pick on a RB?

Ministry of Pain said:
I also wondered why McCoy was considered a better pash rusher and someone on TV, can't remember who, finally explained why that theory exists. Their belief and I guess one shared by some talent evaluators is that Suh relied on power and he was able to pressure the QB because he was able to physically overpower the opposing player and that's a skill set that won't be so easy against NFL caliber OL every week. McCoy is considered to be technically superior and that skill set is believed to translate better. Not saying I agree just repeating what the explanation. Personally I prefer Suh's production and measureables. I think using basketball as a comparison is a good way to explain this. Say you have a 7 footer in college who just dominates because of his pure size against smaller players and you have a 6-10 guy who is not as dominate but displays more skill than the 7 footer. As both of these players enter a league were they will always go against similar sized players often the more skilled guy emerges over the play who was more physically dominant at the last level.
It's easier to out-quick NFL centers and guards than it is to overpower them.

But would they twice go for a small RB....seeing what happened to Slaton?Plus, isn't it the MO of a zone scheme to not spend a high pick on a RB?
I'm pretty sure that Spiller is thicker than Slaton, if not taller. Yes, the general idea is that you take later round backs who are one cut, downhill runners and have the blocking schemes do the work for the runner. But a runner with great speed who could follow the hole to the 2nd and 3rd level and then improvise would be interesting to see. I think that most later round backs in that scheme more or less just run straight through the hole/lane until they get hit. A guy like Anthony Dixon would be a great fit there, I think. But Spiller would be fun to watch if he could follow the initial wave of blocking. Really, the zone scheme is good for guys who don't have great "short vision" because they don't need to be looking for cutback creases at the LOS or even at the LB level. And I know that one of Spiller's negative attributes in the RSP is his short vision.

CJ Spiller will be the 1sT RB off the board. Been a Goose reader for a long time but he really sounds liek a Johnny come lately with this mock...much better folks to read upon out there in terms of the NFL draft. I think he releases a couple more before the draft.

CJ Spiller will be the 1sT RB off the board. Been a Goose reader for a long time but he really sounds liek a Johnny come lately with this mock...much better folks to read upon out there in terms of the NFL draft. I think he releases a couple more before the draft.
I still see Spiller to either Seattle or San Francisco,as the 1st RB off the board, but I have to disagree, I think this mock by Goose has been very well thought out for the most partin terms of need as well as talent.

Blackjacks said:
1580 yards on 8.1 YPC with 15 TDs as a sophomore in '08? A 5-TD game @ Minnesota as a junior? Good receiver, insane moves, great returner.He reminds me of Brandon Graham, a great college player who I think will be very good in the pros even if he doesn't have NFL measurables. Torched Miami with 186 yards (9.3 YPC) in the Emerald Bowl last year. And I don't think his size is all that small (a 5'10, 195 junior becomes 5'10, 205 in the pros, which is roughly the size of many of the elite backs in the NFL/NFL history.)
I guess I forgot when it was such a big deal to have a great game against Minnesota?I watched him play multiple games and I'm just saying I'm not impressed. I am much more impressed watching 5-6 other rb's that are coming out this year than I am on Best.If he goes to an excellent situation, of course my views on how he can preform in the NFLcould change alot but as of now, while not on a team, not impressed.Not saying your wrong, I just don't agree

NOt sure why the Ravens need a playmaker at WR when they trade for Boldin, resign Mason, take a shot on Stallworth and have Clayton as well?

29. NY Jets Devin McCourty CB Rutgers

Jets need a shutdown corner opposite Darrelle Revis

Obviously he doesnt think much of Cromartie opposite Revis.

20. Houston C.J. Spiller HB Clemson

Texans averaged only 3.5 yards per carry in 2009

Slaton: Height: 5-9 Weight: 215 (Yahoo)

Spiller 5'11, 195 (Espn)

NOt sure why they would take another smaller speed guy here, but Portis did come out of Miami listed the same as Spiller.

26. Arizona Demaryius Thomas WR Ga. Tech

Departure of Anquan Boldin leaves big shoes to fill

BReaston played well when starting while Boldin was hurt. And they seem high on early doucet. I see more defensive needs out of them then another WR...

Rick was interviewed on 101 in St. Louis three weeks ago and said Sam Bradford is the best QB prospect to come out since Peyton Manning.

I was in the Suh camp until I heard that one. Regardless of his shoulder / bust potential / spread offense liabities, etc. when people are throwing names like Manning, Aikman, etc. around with a QB, you have to take him.

Ministry of Pain said:
Yup, and Goss is in the first one to make that point either...if someone stopped reading after that, they need to keep reading a bunch of other people and what they are saying...because McCoy has been compared to Sapp much more than Suh has.Suh has been compared more to Richard Seymour as far as a style of play goes.

Green Bay picking a LB in the first? It's one of their stronger positions.
An OLB is not quite the strongest positions.Barring a top OT dropping...Im hoping they go OLB or CB there (Id prefer McCourty there to add depth at CB and to help in the return game).But have seen them with Hughes before.Adding another pass rusher opposite Matthews is not a bad thing.But I think some also don't know if they are satisfied with Jones after he played pretty well as a rookie.

Ministry of Pain said:
Yup, and Goss is in the first one to make that point either...if someone stopped reading after that, they need to keep reading a bunch of other people and what they are saying...because McCoy has been compared to Sapp much more than Suh has.Suh has been compared more to Richard Seymour as far as a style of play goes.
The question is are those comparison based on the system they played in college or how their skills will likely translate to the NFL. McCoy played a 1-gap and Suh played a 2-gap, but that doesn't mean Suh couldn't play the 1-gap very well.

7. Cleveland Jimmy Clausen QB Notre DameStarting QB Jake Delhomme is 35 years old
Peter King today:
I think the Browns may do several things at number seven, but the one thing they won't do is take Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen.
I agree with King.

Here it is:

Originally published April 10, 2010 at 4:08 p.m., updated April 10, 2010 at 5:09 p.m.7. Cleveland Jimmy Clausen QB Notre DameStarting QB Jake Delhomme is 35 years old
Way too much talk right now from the Browns about not wanting Dez Bryant (has there been MORE talk about a team not wanting a player than Browns-Bryant?) that I think Holmgren is trying to make Bryant fall to #7.

Ministry of Pain said:
I'm not buying the whole "McCoy is more skilled than Suh line." The reason Suh went from being a fringe 1st round pick after his junior season to being the best player in the draft this year is because he developed and refined his technique under the tutelage of Carl Pelini who is arguably the best DL coach in college.The only attribute which McCoy has that is superior to Suh is his feet. He's got quicker feet which is obviously a big deal, but it's not like that's a weakness for Suh. OTOH, Suh is better at using his hands. I've heard some nfl people say they're amazed at how well Suh uses his hands and he does things a lot of DL in the nfl have yet to learn. The reason he sheds blockers so quickly is a combo of his brute strength and power + excellent technique.

Go back and look at tape of Suh when he was a soph and wasn't getting good coaching, and compare it to last season after he played for the Pelini's the last 2 years. It's night and day. The guy developed into a very skilled DL.

Here it is:

Originally published April 10, 2010 at 4:08 p.m., updated April 10, 2010 at 5:09 p.m.7. Cleveland Jimmy Clausen QB Notre DameStarting QB Jake Delhomme is 35 years old
Way too much talk right now from the Browns about not wanting Dez Bryant (has there been MORE talk about a team not wanting a player than Browns-Bryant?) that I think Holmgren is trying to make Bryant fall to #7.
Peter King today:
I think, for those Browns fans who yearn for a franchise receiver and ask, "Why don't we trade down a bit in the round and get Dez Bryant?'' here's your answer: Eric Mangini's spent a lot of energy trying to get his locker room right, and though Bryant appears to be on the right track and could well be a terrific NFL citizen for the next 10 years, they don't sell insurance for this kind of thing, and the Browns would rather take guys without question marks on their resumes.
Agree here also.

Ministry of Pain said:
:lol:

Ministry of Pain said:
:lol:
C'mon Mass, I need more than a chuckle but I'm glad I can entertain.

I have a feeling the Browns will trade down. They've reportedly canceled Dez Bryant's visit to Cleveland and taken him off their draft board. Maybe they go Berry (if he's there). Maybe they go with Haden, Derrick Morgan (or another pass rusher) or Earl Thomas. Apparently Holmgren doesn't care for Clausen so I don't think they go QB.

I have a feeling the Browns will trade down. They've reportedly canceled Dez Bryant's visit to Cleveland and taken him off their draft board. Maybe they go Berry (if he's there). Maybe they go with Haden, Derrick Morgan (or another pass rusher) or Earl Thomas. Apparently Holmgren doesn't care for Clausen so I don't think they go QB.
Which team would trade up to #7 and for which player?

Users who are viewing this thread