What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rick Spielman should be fired (1 Viewer)

GridironMenace

Footballguy
What is this man thinking? Christian Ponder? Really? The pick at that slot was Robert Quinn or Prince Amukamara. The Vikings could have gotten any number of veterans during FA. However, the Vikings panicked when Jacksonville traded up to take Gabbert. Instead of keeping a cool head (isn't that what these guys get paid to do?) they reached. Not only did they reach, but they didn't even reach for the best available QB. That title belongs to Ryan Mallett. They didn't even reach for the raw QB with the biggest set of intangibles. That title belongs to Colin Kaepernick. They didn't even reach for a mediocre talent that was rated higher than Ponder on almost everyone's draft board. That title belongs to Andy Dalton. No, they reach for a guy that they could have had in day 2 or at the very least at the end of round 1. Even if Ponder was the #1 rated remaining QB on Minnesota's board, the whole world knows that he isn't the #1 rated QB remaining on virtually any other teams board. Why not trade down? Why not make a deal with NE or STL or whoever and take Ponder 5-15 picks lower? That's called getting value Spielman (although there is very little value to be had when you're draft Ponder inside the top 20).

I've put the coal in the engine and I'm starting the "Fire Rick Spielman train".

CHOO-MOTHER-*******-CHOO!

Who's with me?

What is this man thinking? Christian Ponder? Really? The pick at that slot was Robert Quinn or Prince Amukamara. The Vikings could have gotten any number of veterans during FA. However, the Vikings panicked when Jacksonville traded up to take Gabbert. Instead of keeping a cool head (isn't that what these guys get paid to do?) they reached. Not only did they reach, but they didn't even reach for the best available QB. That title belongs to Ryan Mallett. They didn't even reach for the raw QB with the biggest set of intangibles. That title belongs to Colin Kaepernick. They didn't even reach for a mediocre talent that was rated higher than Ponder on almost everyone's draft board. That title belongs to Andy Dalton. No, they reach for a guy that they could have had in day 2 or at the very least at the end of round 1. Even if Ponder was the #1 rated remaining QB on Minnesota's board, the whole world knows that he isn't the #1 rated QB remaining on virtually any other teams board. Why not trade down? Why not make a deal with NE or STL or whoever and take Ponder 5-15 picks lower? That's called getting value Spielman (although there is very little value to be had when you're draft Ponder inside the top 20). I've put the coal in the engine and I'm starting the "Fire Rick Spielman train". CHOO-MOTHER-*******-CHOO! Who's with me?
I'm in.That was a joke.

That didn't take long.
In my car listening to the draft on the radio. Saying to myself, don't take Ponder or Dalton. Don't take Ponder or Dalton. Take Quinn or Prince. Take Quinn or Prince. They took Ponder. I just got home to be able to make a post. As a Viking fan, I'm pissed. And the Vikings will be drafting in the top 5 next year. Awesome.

What is this man thinking? Christian Ponder? Really? The pick at that slot was Robert Quinn or Prince Amukamara. The Vikings could have gotten any number of veterans during FA. However, the Vikings panicked when Jacksonville traded up to take Gabbert. Instead of keeping a cool head (isn't that what these guys get paid to do?) they reached. Not only did they reach, but they didn't even reach for the best available QB. That title belongs to Ryan Mallett. They didn't even reach for the raw QB with the biggest set of intangibles. That title belongs to Colin Kaepernick. They didn't even reach for a mediocre talent that was rated higher than Ponder on almost everyone's draft board. That title belongs to Andy Dalton. No, they reach for a guy that they could have had in day 2 or at the very least at the end of round 1. Even if Ponder was the #1 rated remaining QB on Minnesota's board, the whole world knows that he isn't the #1 rated QB remaining on virtually any other teams board. Why not trade down? Why not make a deal with NE or STL or whoever and take Ponder 5-15 picks lower? That's called getting value Spielman (although there is very little value to be had when you're draft Ponder inside the top 20).

I've put the coal in the engine and I'm starting the "Fire Rick Spielman train".

Who's with me?
He took almost all the time alotted. I suspect that he could not find a trade partner. I think Dallas was trying to trade down as well.

That didn't take long.
In my car listening to the draft on the radio. Saying to myself, don't take Ponder or Dalton. Don't take Ponder or Dalton. Take Quinn or Prince. Take Quinn or Prince. They took Ponder. I just got home to be able to make a post. As a Viking fan, I'm pissed. And the Vikings will be drafting in the top 5 next year. Awesome.
Should have a shot at the 3rd best QB next year too. :)

Who's with me?
He took almost all the time alotted. I suspect that he could not find a trade partner. I think Dallas was trying to trade down as well.
I could maybe believe that if they don't have a pathetic reputation of missing their own picks. :X

That didn't take long.
Sad, but true.

That didn't take long.
Sad, but true.
Glad to see Childress left draft instructions for the new regime.

As a Lion's fan I couldn't be happier with the Vikings selection. As a football fan I am incredibly shocked that front offices do not have a better grasp on the situation. This one will examined closely over the next few years. They will need to be really right to redeem themselves.

Pathetic completely pathetic. The whole time I was saying they should move up a few spots to take Gabbert but when they didn't and missed out on him I was fine but why couldn't of they went with Prince or Jimmy Smith..Just completely baffles me. I do not get it. Totally Po'd

I must be in the minority because I am happy with the pick. Would have I liked to see them trade back and pick up additional picks? Yes, but they must not have had a trade partner and Ponder would not have been available in the 2nd round, then everyone would have been complaining because they did not pick a QB.

I must be in the minority because I am happy with the pick. Would have I liked to see them trade back and pick up additional picks? Yes, but they must not have had a trade partner and Ponder would not have been available in the 2nd round, then everyone would have been complaining because they did not pick a QB.
Yea. But not ONE QB has gone since their pick. So, lots of trades were possible. Huge reach.

Um.. no.

Why didn't the Vikes just take Fairley??? Blows my mind they would take a C level QB and allow a divisional opponent to get a potential A level pass rusher.

Yea. But not ONE QB has gone since their pick. So, lots of trades were possible. Huge reach.
That could mean they got the last of the good ones.I don't mind the pick.

Are you nuts! You've been in the hole too long Dufresne..

You think Ponder was wanted by any of those teams? They were worried about a run on QB, liked Ponder best, didn't want to get stuck with Kap or Mallett, and instead of trying to move a couple spots, panicked.And then when they bring in an ineffective McNabb and try to have Ponder 'learn' under him... oof.We will see Webb starting at least 2 games next year EVEN IF they bring in a vet.

Ponder is probably the most accurate QB in this draft and with the type of offense I suspect they're going to run will be a good fit.

Bump Harvin.

I have a lot of friends who are Vikes fans. I felt terrible for them when that pick came in. He probably would have been on the board 20 picks later maybe even there when they drafted in the 2nd.

I think they panicked when Locker and Gabbert went.

Hey, maybe Gino Torretta is available to play.. Let's give him a call.

Well, at least we will get the #1 pick next year. :thumbup:

It could have been worse. Vikings still have 1st in 2012. Atlanta and New Orleans are the teams really gambling that there will be a NFL season this year.

I always thought Ponder was under-rated. I like how people say Ponder is small and Locker is somehow big. From the senior bowl measurements, Ponder is 1/8 of an inch shorter than Locker and about 5-8 pounds lighter. Their 40 times are real close. Locker has a stronger arm but Ponder is much more accurate.

I am not happy as a Vikings fan. That being said, if Ponder becomes the best QB in this class no one will remember that all the draftniks thought they reached.

'GridironMenace said:
'Chimp Magnet said:
That didn't take long.
Prince?Not a cover 2 type player which the Vikings D will run.He struggles against slants, which pretty much eliminates him from ever playing in the NFL in the slot position. He gets called for a lot of penalties. He's not a consistent wrap-up body tackler. He was abused by the top talent he faced so offensive coordinators in the NFL will expose that.Prince was not your best pick here.And for the record...I am not a Vikings fan at all

Last edited by a moderator:
i said in the Locker thread today before the draft that I believe Gabbert, Ponder, and Mallett will be the three QBs from this draft who will be bona fide successes. I think you guys will be fine.

If I were Spielman, i would be giddy this morning. The amount of people who are panning this pick just about assures us Ponder will be the best QB of the bunch. I would be MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more upset this morning if I were either a Panthers or Titans fan. MUCH MORE.

I am not happy as a Vikings fan. That being said, if Ponder becomes the best QB in this class no one will remember that all the draftniks thought they reached.
Love or hate the pick I think most fellow fans are just angry at the perceived reach, but just how much of a reach was it?Word was that Miami had their eye on him and Washington traded down to 16 thinking that we'd take Mallet/Dalton and they'd have Ponder. That could all be smoke, but if he was the guy they wanted then the best trade they could comfortably swing is with St. Louis. Not much to worry about really. Yeah this isn't the best move for this season, but it could be the best for the future.

Users who are viewing this thread