What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ricky Williams to Pittsburgh? (1 Viewer)

Portis 26

Madden Freak
This is not a news story or even a rumor; there is no basis for this other that idle speculation. But wouldn't it make just a ton of sense?

Pittsburgh need a bruising runner to spearhead their attack with the retirement of Bettis.

FWP would be better utilised as a change of pace back.

Ricky would be welcomed by the veteran locker room of Pittsburgh and his eccentricities would be accepted. He'd also be kept in line.

Ricky's personality would be accepted by the city of Pittsburgh.

There's a precedent for this - Pittsburgh traded for Bettis.

Ricky's contract is cap friendly.

The Fins have a 1st invested in Ronnie Brown who had a pretty good rookie season and could get something out of the whole Ricky debacle.

It all just makes way too much sense - which means it won't happen of course.

This is not a news story or even a rumor; there is no basis for this other that idle speculation. But wouldn't it make just a ton of sense?

Pittsburgh need a bruising runner to spearhead their attack with the retirement of Bettis.

Ricky would be welcomed by the veteran locker room of Pittsburgh and his eccentricities would be accepted. He'd also be kept in line.

The Fins have a 1st invested in Ronnie Brown who had a pretty good rookie season and could get something out of the whole Ricky debacle.

Ricky's personality????....Pittsburgh????? Man, what have YOU been smoking??? And a comparison to Bettis is not nessecary or even appropriate. A few words in your opening remark closed this door before it was opened......NO BASIS.

Why wouldn't he want to play there? According to Steeler fans, all you have to do is be a member of the team and you're a 1st ballot hall of famer.

:lmao:

:thumbdown: This thread is worthless. You points hold absolutely no merit. Pittsburgh does not welcome head cases, of which Ricky is king. We part with head cases, just ask Plaxico.

Glad to see everyone agrees this is a great idea. :thumbup:

Seriously, the point about Williams is that he's only a "problem child" when he feels unloved and undervalued. If he was carrying it 400 times a season for the Steeler and going to the Pro Bowl every year he'd be a model citizen.

Seriously, the point about Williams is that he's only a "problem child" when he feels unloved and undervalued. If he was carrying it 400 times a season for the Steeler and going to the Pro Bowl every year he'd be a model citizen.
When you smoke a lot of dope, and have cobwebs in your head, you're going to feel unwanted and unloved.

IIRC when he retired he said that part of the reason was, that he didn´t liked the excessive pounding he took from the 800 carries in two seasons in Miami.

I agree that off the field Williams is not typically what the Steeler organization looks for. However, on the field he is their type of guy. I doubt this happens, but in part because Saban should not move Williams to an AFC contenter.

I do believe the Steelers need to address RB in the offseason. FWP is a good change up, but I do not think he can carry the load of an entire season. He is a better RB when he has a partner.

I don't like TJ in Pittsburgh, but J Lewis would be a good fit.

I agree that off the field Williams is not typically what the Steeler organization looks for. However, on the field he is their type of guy. I doubt this happens, but in part because Saban should not move Williams to an AFC contenter.

I do believe the Steelers need to address RB in the offseason. FWP is a good change up, but I do not think he can carry the load of an entire season. He is a better RB when he has a partner.

Lewis might be even less likely to happen than Williams. Cocaine distributors are not the kind of guys the Rooneys and Cowher look for.

This has about zero chance of happening. Teams have given up picks in the past only to get burned by Ricky Williams' bad attitude and pot smoking. If you fall for this and give up picks for him, you deserve to get burned like the other teams did. Besides the fact you have to worry about him quitting, he will also be suspended if he decides weed is more important than football again. Not worth the picks or the risk of suspension.

IIRC when he retired he said that part of the reason was, that he didn´t liked the excessive pounding he took from the 800 carries in two seasons in Miami.
Kinda, it was the pounding he took with no chance of a SuperBowl. Wasted effort.I am pretty sure he would gladly take that pounding if there was a chance of a ring.

Not saying that the topic of this thread is valid, but I think he would be happy to go to Pitt and take a beating if they went deep into the post season. Interesting "what if?" but not going to happen. Ricky's ego is fragile, he could not handle working for Cower.

This has about zero chance of happening. Teams have given up picks in the past only to get burned by Ricky Williams' bad attitude and pot smoking. If you fall for this and give up picks for him, you deserve to get burned like the other teams did. Besides the fact you have to worry about him quitting, he will also be suspended if he decides weed is more important than football again. Not worth the picks or the risk of suspension.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I bet someone will be willing to take that risk. Sure it is a gamble, but the upside is huge and could make you look like a genius. It wont be Pitt, but someone will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Won't happen. Pittsburgh, more than maybe any other franchise, only takes "character guys" and gets rid of those who don't demonstrate responsibility off the field. Williams has no heart, and he's a basket case. He'll never be a Pittsburgh guy.

How would this make more sense than Pittsburgh just trying to retain Duce Staley?

This has about zero chance of happening.  Teams have given up picks in the past only to get burned by Ricky Williams' bad attitude and pot smoking.  If you fall for this and give up picks for him, you deserve to get burned like the other teams did.  Besides the fact you have to worry about him quitting, he will also be suspended if he decides weed is more important than football again.  Not worth the picks or the risk of suspension.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I bet someone will be willing to take that risk. Sure it is a gamble, but the upside is huge and could make you look like a genius. It wont be Pitt, but someone will.
How did that philosophy work out for the Eagles?

I don't see anything wrong with Parker 1st/2nd downs, Haynes 3rd downs, Staley as the goalline and Parker injury-replacement back.

Won't happen. Pittsburgh, more than maybe any other franchise, only takes "character guys" and gets rid of those who don't demonstrate responsibility off the field. Williams has no heart, and he's a basket case. He'll never be a Pittsburgh guy.
Marvel Smith :toketokepass: Plaxico Burress

Won't happen.  Pittsburgh, more than maybe any other franchise, only takes "character guys" and gets rid of those who don't demonstrate responsibility off the field.  Williams has no heart, and he's a basket case.  He'll never be a Pittsburgh guy.
As soon as I saw him wearing his helmet during interviews I knew to trade him for a boat load, which I did.

How did that philosophy work out for the Eagles?
Not so good. But I bet dollars to doughnuts someone else will take a chance on TO in '07. Any takers?

Doesn't Miami have him by the short and curlies for several years? There's all these discussions of where Ricky will end up; why would Miami give him away unless they were completely blown away with a massive offer?

Doesn't Miami have him by the short and curlies for several years? There's all these discussions of where Ricky will end up; why would Miami give him away unless they were completely blown away with a massive offer?
I cannot see Pittsburgh giving up any more than what they gave up to get Duce Staley. This is a shrewd franchise and would be more likely to trade Willie Parker for draft picks; provided that it was an overpaying suitor.

I agree that off the field Williams is not typically what the Steeler organization looks for.  However, on the field he is their type of guy.  I doubt this happens, but in part because Saban should not move Williams to an AFC contenter. 

I do believe the Steelers need to address RB in the offseason.  FWP is a good change up, but I do not think he can carry the load of an entire season.  He is a better RB when he has a partner.

Lewis might be even less likely to happen than Williams. Cocaine distributors are not the kind of guys the Rooneys and Cowher look for.
I stand corrected. Good point.

Why wouldn't he want to play there? According to Steeler fans, all you have to do is be a member of the team and you're a 1st ballot hall of famer.

:goodposting:
:P :bye:
I think when someone starts touting Jerame Tuman as a Hall of Famer, you guys have a point, but Hines Ward? That's really so far-fetched as to draw these type of statements? Come on, now - we know the difference between reality and :fishing: - give us some credit. :D

Nope. By renegotiating the new deal, Ricky no longer has a signing bonus so the Phins cant go after anything if he holds out or retires. I explained it better in another thread. Basicly Ricky can now do what he couldnt do before... force the issue of a trade and/or renegotiation of his contract, or even retire. Only dont expect Williams to try to use the media to make it a public issue. Both the team and Williams wants to end this quietly.

I think when someone starts touting Jerame Tuman as a Hall of Famer, you guys have a point, but Hines Ward? That's really so far-fetched as to draw these type of statements? Come on, now - we know the difference between reality and :fishing: - give us some credit. :D
I'm already on the "Travis Kirschke to Canton" bandwagon. ALL ABOARD! :thumbup:

I'm already on the "Travis Kirschke to Canton" bandwagon. ALL ABOARD! :thumbup:
:thumbup: Nice sig!

This has about zero chance of happening.  Teams have given up picks in the past only to get burned by Ricky Williams' bad attitude and pot smoking.  If you fall for this and give up picks for him, you deserve to get burned like the other teams did.  Besides the fact you have to worry about him quitting, he will also be suspended if he decides weed is more important than football again.  Not worth the picks or the risk of suspension.
I don't disagree that someone will take the risk, but it won't be the Steelers. There is also a lot of downside in trading for him, just ask the Saints and the Dolphins. I will agree it might be worth the risk if you can get him at the right price(draft picks and favorable contract). Also, there are plenty of RB's available, so I don't think you need to go after Ricky Williams.

Why does everyone think the Steelers need a running back? Christ Parker ran for 1202 4.7 ypc and rec an extra 218 in his first year as a starter. He never got reps in the offseason with the first team and came in due to injuries and played well. Is it that hard to imagine him learning how to get the tougher yards and read his holes a little better with a whole off season as a stater. Especially considering he was never a starter in college some kind of a learning curve should be expected. This kid might be the most disrepected starter in the league.

I don't hate this idea as much as some other here do, but I think the biggest drawback is the fact that with so many free agents this year, the Steelers really don't have much to offer in return.

Users who are viewing this thread