What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Road rage shootout in local grocery store parking lot (1 Viewer)

I've given an example of police not taking all the guns from a domestic abuser and that person shooting his wife with the gun they didn't take.

the problem with that is how many false accusations?

I'll do this for you - if a woman accuses a man of domestic abuse, take the man's guns. There HAS to be proof within 90 days, or guns are returned and the woman has to do 3 months in prison for false accusations. If her accusations are proven true, man gives up his guns for ... lets say 5 years. 

Deal ?

I assure you I am not playing - lets apply what we'd do to stop DUI's to what we'd do to stop murders with guns

Way more strict? Lets do that with people who break laws and murder others. Isn't that sensible? 

Felons cannot own guns - we already have that

If someone threatens to do harm - that's a threat, not an actual act and I'm not sure what constitutional right we should take from those people and when/if to ever give them back. That is something our law enforcement is shackled with - do we want a society that punishes for threats ? If a woman screams at her husband "I'm going to kill you" should we imprison her? Take away some rights ? I mean we know restraining orders are just words - you'd have to literally imprison someone to keep them from doing what they threatened right ?

Still, I am not against something there - especially like on-line manifesto/threat types
If I understand correctly - domestic abuse is mostly charged as a misdemeanor, not a felony.    Hence the problem - high correlation of domestic abusers and shooters (not to mention the damage at home), but they still keep their guns because it's not a felony (not to mention it's not as stiff of a penalty, so they are right back out).  

I am not talking all threats.  Something pretty severe.    Like a threat to shoot up a school and commit suicide, along with other evidence as well that it was a joke or once off dumb comment (ie - violent behavior, other threats, etc..) and you don't get to legally purchase guns for 5 years or until you are 23 if you are a minor as well as completing therapy.  Dunno, just throwing something out there.   I am not talking about a one off joke or a comment in a fight type of stuff.  

Were you trying to look for potential solutions?  Do you think that longer prison terms would change any behavior?   Do you think breathalyzers added to cars could become an option for parents and insurance companies?  Do you think increased taxes on alcohol would  reduce consumption like tobacco?  How about a conversation and some back and forth instead of your game of “gotcha”. 
Sin taxes dont work.  Alcoholics just go to the next level down.  

No level of penalty?   If you get 1 DUI, you lose your license for 5 years.   You don't think that would decrease DUIs within a couple years? 

I don't because I know the power of the drink. They will find any way to get it despite it's price.  Like heroin, fentanyl and all other types of addicts.

It's already expensive and yet, here we are.  People still doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
same group thinks banning abortion and making it more expensive will be effective. 

Limits on alcohol and guns don’t work, limits on abortion and sexuality do. got it. 

More expensive?  No one in here is saying this.  That's you making something up to try and prove some kind of point nobody made.  :shrug:

I don't because I know the power of the drink. They will find any way to get it despite it's price.  Like heroin, fentanyl and all other types of addicts.

Maybe you are right for addicts.  I don't know, but I would be curious what % of DUIs are alcoholics vs. partiers at a game/concert/club.   IMO stiffer penalties would decrease those types, again to what % I'd be curious to see.  

I also think part of the problem is that we don't have the same view of alcoholics as we do addicts of the other drugs you listed.  Drinking is encouraged, cheered, and sponsored.  

Maybe you are right for addicts.  I don't know, but I would be curious what % of DUIs are alcoholics vs. partiers at a game/concert/club.   IMO stiffer penalties would decrease those types, again to what % I'd be curious to see.  

I also think part of the problem is that we don't have the same view of alcoholics as we do addicts of the other drugs you listed.  Drinking is encouraged, cheered, and sponsored.  
As a bartender, people do not drink at bars nearly like they used to for a number of reasons.  Yes there is always the outlier that you have to watch for,   Addicts don’t care what the limit is.  Now move this point to guns - the Buffalo shooter is the outlier and didn’t care what others thought, he was going to do his thing.   It’s a problem we as a society has to figure out.  We can ban guns, but that shooter will find a way to get them.  

Do you think some people may drink less if the costs went up?  Maybe a few less DUIs?  If we increased the penalties, could it have some effect?  
We sell more Busch Light and draft beer now vs higher end lately, because of the economy.  

I'm 47 have traveled around the world, do normal things, interact with people everyday, live within a few miles of a major US city downtown.

I can't recall one time in my life that I felt like I wished I had a gun. Not talking about hunting but in my day to day life.

Is this unusual? Honest question.
I’m a little older, but feel the same way. Although I’ve usually lived in decent neighborhoods, I’ve travelled around the world, and never once yearned for a gun.

My dad was different, carrying a firearm most of the time. But he had traits of paranoid personality disorder imo. I don’t think that’s true of most gun owners, though I bet the objective risk is very low for the vast majority who feel a need to carry. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were actually less safe by carrying the gun, analogous to households with firearms being more susceptible to gun violence.

As a bartender, people do not drink at bars nearly like they used to for a number of reasons.  Yes there is always the outlier that you have to watch for,   Addicts don’t care what the limit is.  Now move this point to guns - the Buffalo shooter is the outlier and didn’t care what others thought, he was going to do his thing.   It’s a problem we as a society has to figure out.  We can ban guns, but that shooter will find a way to get them.  
I believe that this is your experience.  I just looked, and the charts that I saw seem to say that it's down from the 80s, but it's still plateaued over the last decade or so.   Like I said, my experience in beer central here in WI is that drinking is normalized.  I know people with multiple DUIs, I see dads during their kids basketball tournaments have 2-3 drinks during lunch break and go right back to the game.  My overall point was disagreeing with this SC that we had common sense laws that work for these cases, not that the extreme examples won't continue to do so (again, that should also never be a reason for us to pass or enforce a law either).    Your point about the Buffalo shooter was also not my point either.  I don't believe we are doing the basic things right for reasons I've said.  That's in general, not the extreme cases like Buffalo.   So IMO we don't have common sense laws that we properly enforce.  

I believe that this is your experience.  I just looked, and the charts that I saw seem to say that it's down from the 80s, but it's still plateaued over the last decade or so.   Like I said, my experience in beer central here in WI is that drinking is normalized.  I know people with multiple DUIs, I see dads during their kids basketball tournaments have 2-3 drinks during lunch break and go right back to the game.  My overall point was disagreeing with this SC that we had common sense laws that work for these cases, not that the extreme examples won't continue to do so (again, that should also never be a reason for us to pass or enforce a law either).    Your point about the Buffalo shooter was also not my point either.  I don't believe we are doing the basic things right for reasons I've said.  That's in general, not the extreme cases like Buffalo.   So IMO we don't have common sense laws that we properly enforce.  
Liquor sales did go up a lot in 2020 when people were shut in at home.  

im sure northern Mich and the UP drinking is a lot like your area.

KP - I do think we have common sense laws on these things.  It’s up to how they are enforced, which could be a problem.

KP - I do think we have common sense laws on these things.  It’s up to how they are enforced, which could be a problem.
Yes the enforcement is a problem as well.   Personally, I don't think it makes sense that:

- there is built into the laws for 3rd, 4th chances with DUIs.  

- domestic abusers can mostly keep their guns because we charge as a misdemeanor.  

- red flag systems still don't prevent cases like Buffalo from legally purchasing weapons. 

- when looking at these 2 examples in tandem with other things we punish more harshly (back to my pet annoyance- weed) 

I don't think these are common sense.  Odd that I feel like I am presenting controversial opinions in here about this.  

If I understand correctly - domestic abuse is mostly charged as a misdemeanor, not a felony.    Hence the problem - high correlation of domestic abusers and shooters (not to mention the damage at home), but they still keep their guns because it's not a felony (not to mention it's not as stiff of a penalty, so they are right back out).  

I am not talking all threats.  Something pretty severe.    Like a threat to shoot up a school and commit suicide, along with other evidence as well that it was a joke or once off dumb comment (ie - violent behavior, other threats, etc..) and you don't get to legally purchase guns for 5 years or until you are 23 if you are a minor as well as completing therapy.  Dunno, just throwing something out there.   I am not talking about a one off joke or a comment in a fight type of stuff.  

Domestic violence is generally charged as a misdemeanor offense rather than a felony, unless the incident caused an injury or involved a deadly weapon or child victim. A pattern of abuse can also elevate domestic violence to a felony. So can a violation of a restraining order.Sep 30, 2021

I agree with the above - and with domestic abusers I fully support women having firearms and defending themselves against any threats, don't you?

The things in the second part are things we could agree on too but the problem is overreach and how to do red flag laws that don't target gun owners or falsely accuse etc ..... 

I'll disagree and say it would have an impact - but very minimal on DUI's

the impacts would be on the 150 million people who want to have a good afternoon drink and now its 5X more expensive

why is the solution always make it harder/more expensive/ban legal law abiding people ?  I don't get it

Domestic violence is generally charged as a misdemeanor offense rather than a felony, unless the incident caused an injury or involved a deadly weapon or child victim. A pattern of abuse can also elevate domestic violence to a felony. So can a violation of a restraining order.Sep 30, 2021

I agree with the above - and with domestic abusers I fully support women having firearms and defending themselves against any threats, don't you?

The things in the second part are things we could agree on too but the problem is overreach and how to do red flag laws that don't target gun owners or falsely accuse etc ..... 
Yeah, we don't agree on the first part either.  I don't think it's harsh enough, and easy to mask.  Also 0 in there about non-physical abuse.  Again, odd that I can't seem to get agreement on these concepts.  

same group thinks banning abortion and making it more expensive will be effective. 

Limits on alcohol and guns don’t work, limits on abortion and sexuality do. 

got it. 
Despite the statistics over and over and over showing banning abortion does not make the rate go down.  But the safe rate go down.

Yes the enforcement is a problem as well.   Personally, I don't think it makes sense that:

- there is built into the laws for 3rd, 4th chances with DUIs.  

- domestic abusers can mostly keep their guns because we charge as a misdemeanor.  

- red flag systems still don't prevent cases like Buffalo from legally purchasing weapons. 

- when looking at these 2 examples in tandem with other things we punish more harshly (back to my pet annoyance- weed) 

I don't think these are common sense.  Odd that I feel like I am presenting controversial opinions in here about this.  
You can’t stop someone from driving, IDC if they have 100 DUIs.  People are going to do what they are going to do.  It doesn’t matter how harsh the laws are.

You can’t stop someone from driving, IDC if they have 100 DUIs.  People are going to do what they are going to do.  It doesn’t matter how harsh the laws are.
This line of thinking does nor compute to me, and imo is a lazy reason not to have a law or try to stop it.   If that was the case something simple like seatbelt laws would have never worked.   Over time attitudes, messaging, behavior changes.  

Yeah, we don't agree on the first part either.  I don't think it's harsh enough, and easy to mask.  Also 0 in there about non-physical abuse.  Again, odd that I can't seem to get agreement on these concepts.  

my point is - we can't have laws that take away Rights based on what someone accuses

IMO we can't take away constitutional rights based on someone getting their feelings hurt either with things someone says

what I can agree with you on, is that there is no place for domestic abuse - but too many lies/accusations are created to blindly believe, there has to be processes in all that

This line of thinking does nor compute to me, and imo is a lazy reason not to have a law or try to stop it.   If that was the case something simple like seatbelt laws would have never worked.   Over time attitudes, messaging, behavior changes.  

if I wanted to drive drunk tomorrow - how are you going to stop me ? serious question

It’s not lazy because you can’t relate to it.  Trust me, it happens.  I had posted before about a friend who had 5 DUI’s.  He can never get a license in Michigan.  Guess what, he still drives to work every day.  

tell me it’s lazy.

Same problem with someone wanting to shoot up a school. We can’t stop them. 

this is the right answer - and I can't stop you, or Karma or anyone else from doing really bad and stupid things

THEY have to choose not to do them - not me

that doesn't mean we can't have good sensible laws and magically, we DO have them, in almost every aspect of society  we have laws that loosely bind .... but in this free country, personal responsibility has to be a thing too

I hear every day still wearing seatbelt ad's and get covid shots ad's and drive sober or get pulled over .... I never hear an ads saying don't use guns irresponsibly or don't kill people etc

It’s not lazy because you can’t relate to it.  Trust me, it happens.  I had posted before about a friend who had 5 DUI’s.  He can never get a license in Michigan.  Guess what, he still drives to work every day.  

tell me it’s lazy.
WTF?   I said I have a co-worker doing the same.  I come from a family alcoholics.  I live in a state I would assume is one of the highest drinking states.   I also have said all these things, some in the last day.  

What I think is lazy and a bit ####ed up is that you seem to be basically shrugging your shoulders and saying that it won't stop your buddy if we as a whole think the laws are too lax and make them harsher.   Again, why bother with laws at all if we just point to an extreme example and say it won't stop them?  That's the lazy part.  

Remember, my beef has a lot to do overall with how these laws and attitudes reflect on our thnking as a country.   IMO it seems a little lax on domestic abusuers and drinkings.  Better not get caught with weed, or selling loose cigs though.  :loco:   

the problem with that is how many false accusations?

I'll do this for you - if a woman accuses a man of domestic abuse, take the man's guns. There HAS to be proof within 90 days, or guns are returned and the woman has to do 3 months in prison for false accusations. If her accusations are proven true, man gives up his guns for ... lets say 5 years. 

Deal ?
I’m embarrassed for you. 

WTF?   I said I have a co-worker doing the same.  I come from a family alcoholics.  I live in a state I would assume is one of the highest drinking states.   I also have said all these things, some in the last day.  

What I think is lazy and a bit ####ed up is that you seem to be basically shrugging your shoulders and saying that it won't stop your buddy if we as a whole think the laws are too lax and make them harsher.   Again, why bother with laws at all if we just point to an extreme example and say it won't stop them?  That's the lazy part.  

Remember, my beef has a lot to do overall with how these laws and attitudes reflect on our thnking as a country.   IMO it seems a little lax on domestic abusuers and drinkings.  Better not get caught with weed, or selling loose cigs though.  :loco:   
Tell me a law that is 100% effective as a deterrent, we can go from there.  I don’t what to tell you, if someone wants to drive bad enough, they will.  Rational people don’t think this way.  Are you ready to give up all of your freedoms to be safe?  Sounds like it.  

Is driving high safer than driving drunk?  Maybe so, but I drive for a living, and i treat them both the same, so does the Feds. 

Tell me a law that is 100% effective as a deterrent, we can go from there.  I don’t what to tell you, if someone wants to drive bad enough, they will.  Rational people don’t think this way.  Are you ready to give up all of your freedoms to be safe?  Sounds like it.  

Is driving high safer than driving drunk?  Maybe so, but I drive for a living, and i treat them both the same, so does the Feds. 
*rational people as in knowing not to drive, not aimed at Karma Police personally.

This was never my claim, and now it's in SC territory.  

I am not talking about 100% stopping something I am talking about a reduction of cases.   I am talking about setting laws based on what we think is right and how we want our values reflected, not what we think will happen with the extreme cases.  

I have zero clue how me saying something like (again just throwing a random idea out there) should have harsher DUI laws - hell what if I said 2nd DUI = 10 years no license and 2 years in jail - is me giving up all my freedoms to be safe.  Now, if you don't think that would have an overall drop in DUI (again, I am not talking about our 5 DUI buddies, I am talking average Joe at the game/concert) that's a different conversation, and I would still disagre with you.  Also in general at the very least it would signal that we are serious or tough on DUIs (I don't believe we are when both of us have people we know with 5).   Same for my position about domestic abusers and their ability to keep guns.  

I don't know the answer to the last one.   My gut answer is that no - it's not safer, and I treat it similar, personally.  I'd have 0 problems legalizing weed the same way federally and treating it the same way if you get behind the wheel.   IMO it makes you think and act differently - ie the weed makes you a bit more paranoid and hyperfocused.  There was a post in one of these threads about how somebody's friend was high and clogging traffic in the fast lane because they were rolling along so slowly.  

There could be more cases because it’s a big moneymaker for the county/state with lessor risk.  If they really want to outlaw it, you just have cops circle the bars an hour before closing time, like they do here.

There could be more cases because it’s a big moneymaker for the county/state with lessor risk.  If they really want to outlaw it, you just have cops circle the bars an hour before closing time, like they do here.
I feel like we are talking in circles a bit, gb.   Plus, we have managed to turn another gun thread into a DUI thread. :lol:  

I feel like we are talking in circles a bit, gb.   Plus, we have managed to turn another gun thread into a DUI thread. :lol:  
That was why I had the post about a drunk is going to drive and someone who wants a gun will get a gun by any means.  It isn’t rational thinking by them.

That was why I had the post about a drunk is going to drive and someone who wants a gun will get a gun by any means.  It isn’t rational thinking by them.
I get that.  But my position is that should have 0 bearing on what we overall decide our laws should be, otherwise there is 0 need for any laws because you could apply your reasoning here to any rule I throw at you.   We agree that enforcement is also a big piece of the puzzle, but we still have to have rational discussions on where we drawn our lines and why.  

I also don't think the bolded applies to everybody.   Yes, extreme cases like the Buffalo shooter will probably get guns by any means, but I don't think that applies to all of the country.   Maybe we disagree (again just throwing a random thought out there, this isn't my actual position), but if we said that any domestic abuser gets their guns taken away and can't buy them legally ever again, I don't believe that 100% of those people will then just turn around and get a gun by any means.   It will have a deterrent and a reduction in domestic abusers owning guns, IMO.   Maybe that is just the core difference we have in our thinking - do you believe that it would have no effect, and all of those people will still just get a gun?  

I get that.  But my position is that should have 0 bearing on what we overall decide our laws should be, otherwise there is 0 need for any laws because you could apply your reasoning here to any rule I throw at you.   We agree that enforcement is also a big piece of the puzzle, but we still have to have rational discussions on where we drawn our lines and why.  

I also don't think the bolded applies to everybody.   Yes, extreme cases like the Buffalo shooter will probably get guns by any means, but I don't think that applies to all of the country.   Maybe we disagree (again just throwing a random thought out there, this isn't my actual position), but if we said that any domestic abuser gets their guns taken away and can't buy them legally ever again, I don't believe that 100% of those people will then just turn around and get a gun by any means.   It will have a deterrent and a reduction in domestic abusers owning guns, IMO.   Maybe that is just the core difference we have in our thinking - do you believe that it would have no effect, and all of those people will still just get a gun?  
In the Hood, they will still get one for protection if nothing else. 

In the Hood, they will still get one for protection if nothing else. 
So we disagree on that premise.  That I can accept and move on from.  I just get very frustrated when I feel like I am having to argue something that is not my position at all - ie a law will "stop" something from happening.  

I am not talking about 100% stopping something I am talking about a reduction of cases.   I am talking about setting laws based on what we think is right and how we want our values reflected, not what we think will happen with the extreme cases.  

do we not have that right now on DUI / gun laws ? I mean agree with exactly what you said above and we HAVE reduced DUI's and violence and murders etc over the last few decades 

other than making the penalties more which Democrats/liberals would fight tooth and nail against shouldn't we focus more on something other than 20 new laws saying what we already have in the books just in a different way ?

do we not have that right now on DUI / gun laws ? I mean agree with exactly what you said above and we HAVE reduced DUI's and violence and murders etc over the last few decades 

other than making the penalties more which Democrats/liberals would fight tooth and nail against shouldn't we focus more on something other than 20 new laws saying what we already have in the books just in a different way ?
Do you read my posts? 

The funny thing is YOU seem to be fighting my ideas of stiffer penalties for these two things.  But never pass up a chance to blame the left, I guess. 

Users who are viewing this thread