What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Road rage shootout in local grocery store parking lot (1 Viewer)

Nugget

Footballguy
Both shooters dead after road rage incident in Lawrence last night

“The driver of the blue Nissan made a disparaging remark about the loud exhaust on the Ford truck. It just escalated from there, ending up unfortunately in the tragic death of each one of them,” Lockhart said. 

“There were disparaging comments going back and forth. There was aggressive driving going back and forth. And it just escalates.”

The incident culminated in the Hy-Vee parking lot at 3504 Clinton Parkway, Lockhart said. Sutton and Amick both got out of the vehicles and fired at each other, Lockhart said. Police collected two handguns at the scene, he said.

My coworker was telling me yesterday about a road rage incident he was in recently. He honked at a car, which pulled up along side for a while, not passing, which made him a bit nervous. The car had dark tinted windows so he couldn’t see inside. I told him he’s crazy to honk at anyone, just let them go, because in our state you have to assume everyone is carrying a gun at all times in any public setting. No one has any interest in any sort of reasoned discourse to resolve a conflict situation. What’s more, since the Rittenhouse trial, we know that if you act aggressively toward someone they can shoot you if they feel they are in danger. I deal with aggressive conflict every day in my work and am very comfortable with it. Physical confrontation has never bothered me in my life, but no longer. Someone is talking in a movie theater, standing up in front of you at a baseball game, cutting in line - what do you do? I’m probably going to back down and accept it because it’s so likely the person has a gun and is seeking confrontation and it’s not worth it. 

My coworker was telling me yesterday about a road rage incident he was in recently. He honked at a car, which pulled up along side for a while, not passing, which made him a bit nervous. The car had dark tinted windows so he couldn’t see inside. I told him he’s crazy to honk at anyone, just let them go, because in our state you have to assume everyone is carrying a gun at all times in any public setting. No one has any interest in any sort of reasoned discourse to resolve a conflict situation. What’s more, since the Rittenhouse trial, we know that if you act aggressively toward someone they can shoot you if they feel they are in danger. I deal with aggressive conflict every day in my work and am very comfortable with it. Physical confrontation has never bothered me in my life, but no longer. Someone is talking in a movie theater, standing up in front of you at a baseball game, cutting in line - what do you do? I’m probably going to back down and accept it because it’s so likely the person has a gun and is seeking confrontation and it’s not worth it. 
I was actually in this grocery store parking lot about 6 weeks ago when 4-5 cars were “cruising”.  Punk kids being obnoxious- I almost said something, but saw only downside risk.   Just assume everyone is armed and they will shoot you over a perceived slight. 

While I agree with your overall point, Rittenhouse has nothing to do with this scenario.  While he's a moron, the guys he shot weren't honking at him.

It seems like people now seek out confrontation, it sucks.

What a stupid thing to die over.  

I'm glad they took each out and didn't hurt anyone else.
I always can't help but dwell on whether these people have a moment of clarity after they get shot.  Like "Oh damn, I made a really stupid mistake" or something.  Depressing to think about either way.

I always can't help but dwell on whether these people have a moment of clarity after they get shot.  Like "Oh damn, I made a really stupid mistake" or something.  Depressing to think about either way.
Yeah.  I can't tell you how many times I hurt myself and while I am still writhing in pain thinking "that was a really stupid thing to do".    Fortunately none involved me with a gun.

While I agree with your overall point, Rittenhouse has nothing to do with this scenario.  While he's a moron, the guys he shot weren't honking at him.
The point is that gun owners are now much more aware of and focused on their self defense rights, at least around here. It’s not about honking or comparing two obviously different situations. If you confront someone in public - get out of you car or approach them in a way they decide is aggressive, that person may now be emboldened to shoot first and claim it was a self-defense situation. Most people probably don’t understand the nuances of what lead to the (correct) not guilty verdict in that case. 

Same with me.  even if it involves only fists it is Just, Not, Worth it.  sometimes it's unavoidable, but 90 %  of the time it is.

this from experience from younger days.

the problem is the automobiles obviously - if there wasn't any auto, nobody could do road rage ...lets blame anything other than the two hot heads that were involved 

did ya'll notice the end of article?

On Monday, 25-year-old Regan Gibbs was killed at the apartment where she lived with her husband. He was arrested at the scene and has been charged with first-degree murder.

nobody cares about Regan Gibbs who was killed by her husband. Gibbs was a goaltender for Kansas from 2015-18 and played on two NCAA tournament teams.

Marek was arrested at the scene and detained on $1 million bail with the prosecutor citing the "excessive brutality" of the crime in the bail request,

Deputy District Attorney Joshua Seiden said in court on Tuesday that Marek had at least 10 prior convictions including battery, interference with medical emergency crews and interference with law enforcement, the World Journal reports.

The point is that gun owners are now much more aware of and focused on their self defense rights, at least around here. It’s not about honking or comparing two obviously different situations. If you confront someone in public - get out of you car or approach them in a way they decide is aggressive, that person may now be emboldened to shoot first and claim it was a self-defense situation. Most people probably don’t understand the nuances of what lead to the (correct) not guilty verdict in that case. 
Reminds me of the guy in the movie theater who was acquitted. "I feared for my safety".

the problem is the automobiles obviously - if there wasn't any auto, nobody could do road rage ...lets blame anything other than the two hot heads that were involved 

nobody cares about Regan Gibbs who was killed by her husband. Gibbs was a goaltender for Kansas from 2015-18 and played on two NCAA tournament teams.

Marek was arrested at the scene and detained on $1 million bail with the prosecutor citing the "excessive brutality" of the crime in the bail request,

Deputy District Attorney Joshua Seiden said in court on Tuesday that Marek had at least 10 prior convictions including battery, interference with medical emergency crews and interference with law enforcement, the World Journal reports.
Arm the cars and every shopper at the Piggly Wiggly. 

Same with me.  even if it involves only fists it is Just, Not, Worth it.  sometimes it's unavoidable, but 90 %  of the time it is.

this from experience from younger days.
Yea I wouldn't want to take a punch to the gut now much less face someone with any type of weapon. 

I just can’t imagine living life in such fear that I felt I needed a gun on my hip to feel safe. I feel sorry for you guys.

On average, state by state comparative analysis (including rape statistics by race data) shows that there are approximately 325,566 victims of rape and sexual assault (age 12 or older) in the US every year.

you feel sorry for them ? women should carry guns/weapons, know how to use them and shoot dead anyone assaulting them IMO

do you disagree ?

BTW

almost 500 pages of stories on people defending themselves - they have a Constitutional Right to do that 

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen/

Regan Gibbs is a much bigger story locally. Her husband is a religious whack job who preached on the corner downtown.  When he was brought into the courtroom, he claimed that Jesus Christ was his lawyer.   Most of our laws are built to where we can’t protect victims before the crime. 

Lawrence average 2.5 murders a year. This has been a rough week. We also lost a little girl on a motorcycle to a hit and run on Saturday. 

Most of our laws are built to where we can’t protect victims before the crime. 

which is why people need to protect themselves - its not a "I'm so scared" situation as it is a safeguard much like a seat belt etc

hey, if you don't want it, that's fine ... but others want 

you feel sorry for them ? women should carry guns/weapons, know how to use them and shoot dead anyone assaulting them IMO

do you disagree ?

BTW

almost 500 pages of stories on people defending themselves - they have a Constitutional Right to do that 
Until the GOP strips those rights away from women too.  

On average, state by state comparative analysis (including rape statistics by race data) shows that there are approximately 325,566 victims of rape and sexual assault (age 12 or older) in the US every year.

do you disagree ?

BTW

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen/
What I find interesting is when discussing COVID seemingly every single post of yours used numbers of victims vs overall population to show how small the percentage of risk was to justify how it wasn’t really dangerous, numbers that for the record are larger then what you posted here.  

What I find interesting is when discussing COVID seemingly every single post of yours used numbers of victims vs overall population to show how small the percentage of risk was to justify how it wasn’t really dangerous, numbers that for the record are larger then what you posted here.  

I don't follow your logic?

I support anyone who wants a gun or a vaccine to get them and if you don't want them, don't get them. Consistent

I'd guess many of the people who got covid contracted it from vaxxed people - we know for a fact now vaxxed people wasn't any less likely to get covid - thus, they spread it just as easily as non-vaxxed

Calculating danger?  I 100% support you going to a grocery store during a pandemic - or not - your choice. I also support you going to inner city gang-ville at 2 am ... or not. Your choice

Users who are viewing this thread