What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roast of Tom Brady on Netflix Live (5 Viewers)

None of the roast comedians are going to admit that there was an agreement not to go after Kraft. They would lose face.
Then why divulge that Brady's kids were declared off limits?

I’ll have to watch the interview again. I don’t recall her saying they were officially declared off limits. I thought she said she had a conscience and thus didn’t go after his kids.

Just watched the clip. She did say they collectively agreed not to go after the kids. I think as a roast comedian, you can defend that position and not lose cred because, hey, they are kids. But if they admitted that they agreed to make the old, pervy white guy (who committed a crime) off limits in exchange for a paycheck and massive exposure, yeah, they’d lose face.

Well, I have to amend the above. In that interview Nikki explains that she consciously decided not to go after Kraft because Tom views him as a father figure, and that Ross was concerned afterwards that he went too far with it. That seems super lame to me coming from a bombastic roast comic. I still think she’s trying to cover for an arranged agreement, but she’s apparently acknowledging that Kraft was off limits for her. An admittedly weird take given the Aaron Hernandez jokes, a point that Neslon made previously.

One of the big questions relates to the topics that weren’t included. Brady shut down jokes from Jeff Ross about Patriots owner Robert Kraft and the massage incident from five years ago. Appearing Monday on Howard Stern’s show, Nikki Glaser said she believes Brady’s reaction was real — and that she was surprised Ross made the joke, because Brady views Kraft as a “dad figure.”

She said that, after the event, Ross was concerned that he went too far with the joke.

“We have consciences about these things,” Glaser said. "[Brady] had to do it performatively for Robert, I’m sure. But I’m sure it’s not an issue that Jeff is gonna hear about today or anything like that.”

Glaser also confirmed that kids were off limits during the supposedly no-holds-barred event.

“We all collectively just decided not to involve his kids too much in anything, because they didn’t ask for that,” Glaser said. “So any kind of reference to anything with that, we left off the table. So I couldn’t say, you know, ‘Tom, hopefully we make out at the after party. You can pretend I’m your son.’ . . . I even was thinking about making a joke referencing the massage parlor thing, and then even when it was floated that he might be there I was like, I couldn’t possibly do that with that man in the room. Like, I just feel like he’s so powerful and such like a grandpa.”

If you believe that no topics should be off limits then lets poke fun at moms cancer. That would get a rise out of Tom.
The roasters and promoters would like you to believe there are none but there absolutely needs to be limits.
What would be funny about that though? Nothing.
right ... it'd be about as funny as comparing Brady to Hitler.
I knew there were limits when no one mentioned Brady mouth kissing his 10yo son.
Way back when I heard he was being roasted, I thought for sure that would be a major topic for roasters.

Ross himself said he was kidding around. You really think if others made Kraft jokes that there could have been a Will Smith Oscar type moment involving Brady and a comedian? It's a roast!!
Explain why no other comedian made a happy ending Kraft joke then? It was low hanging fruit and obvious to joke about. There were plenty of other d riding and gay type of jokes thrown at Julian Edelmans way so it’s not like that was some taboo topic.
Someone else wrote they didn't know Kraft would even be there. Usually the jokes focus on the person being roasted and those on-stage roasting him. How many Kraft jokes should have been done at Tom Brady's roast in your opinion?
Was Aaron Hernandez in attendance?
I'm not sure.
Ok then. Proved my point. Hernandez is DEAD and got plenty of shots fired at him.
I think it proves my point. Those jokes are infinitely more offensive than the tame "would you like a massage" joke and they stayed in the show.

EXACTLY. Have you watched Ross do these roasts? That joke was so tame that it was completely out of character for him. If Ross wanted to joke about Kraft’s happy ending and had free reign to do so, it would have been much, much worse.
You're saying during a roast for Tom Brady, because Jeff Ross (and others) did not make rougher jokes about Robert Kraft's massage that means jokes about Kraft must have been negotiated out of the show beforehand and that Brady's reaction to Ross making the "tame" joke that mentioned Kraft was authentic and was meant to genuinely warn Ross (and other comedians) not to joke around about Kraft again? Does this mean you believe Ross broke an agreed upon contract and exposed himself to a potential lawsuit?

Yes. I don’t know about opening himself up to a lawsuit. But yes. I’ve probably watch 20 of these roasts and there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY they let Kraft off the hook if there are no restrictions.
That's just your opinion. Again, one of the comedians said they didn't know Kraft would be there. That could explain it. And Ross did make a joke that involved him so wouldn't that prove he wasn't completely off-limits?

I already explained that he couldn’t help himself, and it was the most milquetoast lame jab. Completely counter to what Ross does. Ross would have absolutely destroyed Kraft if there were no restrictions.
I think at some point there was a gentleman's agreement (like you posted above with the comments from Nikki) that Kraft HJ jokes weren't on the menu, but Ross tried to back door one while addressing Brady, not Kraft, and got a reaction. A lot of my opinion is based not on Bradys reaction, but Ross'. It wasn't "oh, gtfo" it seemed like he knew he did something he shouldn't have. :shrug:

Last edited:

Well, I have to amend the above. In that interview Nikki explains that she consciously decided not to go after Kraft because Tom views him as a father figure, and that Ross was concerned afterwards that he went too far with it. That seems super lame to me coming from a bombastic roast comic. I still think she’s trying to cover for an arranged agreement, but she’s apparently acknowledging that Kraft was off limits for her. An admittedly weird take given the Aaron Hernandez jokes, a point that Neslon made previously.

One of the big questions relates to the topics that weren’t included. Brady shut down jokes from Jeff Ross about Patriots owner Robert Kraft and the massage incident from five years ago. Appearing Monday on Howard Stern’s show, Nikki Glaser said she believes Brady’s reaction was real — and that she was surprised Ross made the joke, because Brady views Kraft as a “dad figure.”

She said that, after the event, Ross was concerned that he went too far with the joke.

“We have consciences about these things,” Glaser said. "[Brady] had to do it performatively for Robert, I’m sure. But I’m sure it’s not an issue that Jeff is gonna hear about today or anything like that.”

Glaser also confirmed that kids were off limits during the supposedly no-holds-barred event.

“We all collectively just decided not to involve his kids too much in anything, because they didn’t ask for that,” Glaser said. “So any kind of reference to anything with that, we left off the table. So I couldn’t say, you know, ‘Tom, hopefully we make out at the after party. You can pretend I’m your son.’ . . . I even was thinking about making a joke referencing the massage parlor thing, and then even when it was floated that he might be there I was like, I couldn’t possibly do that with that man in the room. Like, I just feel like he’s so powerful and such like a grandpa.”
I find this whole thing to be a really bad trend.

My 17 yr old son wanted to watch it so we gave it a shot but we turned it off pretty quickly during Hart's opening. It had been a while since I've watched one of these, but I was a bit shocked by the sheer volume of vulgar language and topics.

The hero worship, glorification of hyper sexualization, indifference to murder and suicide are all the worst parts of our society. I know it isn't really new, but the brazen manor in which it is actually laughed about kind of makes me nauseous.

Ross himself said he was kidding around. You really think if others made Kraft jokes that there could have been a Will Smith Oscar type moment involving Brady and a comedian? It's a roast!!
Explain why no other comedian made a happy ending Kraft joke then? It was low hanging fruit and obvious to joke about. There were plenty of other d riding and gay type of jokes thrown at Julian Edelmans way so it’s not like that was some taboo topic.
Someone else wrote they didn't know Kraft would even be there. Usually the jokes focus on the person being roasted and those on-stage roasting him. How many Kraft jokes should have been done at Tom Brady's roast in your opinion?
I'm not sure.
Ok then. Proved my point. Hernandez is DEAD and got plenty of shots fired at him.
I think it proves my point. Those jokes are infinitely more offensive than the tame "would you like a massage" joke and they stayed in the show.

EXACTLY. Have you watched Ross do these roasts? That joke was so tame that it was completely out of character for him. If Ross wanted to joke about Kraft’s happy ending and had free reign to do so, it would have been much, much worse.
You're saying during a roast for Tom Brady, because Jeff Ross (and others) did not make rougher jokes about Robert Kraft's massage that means jokes about Kraft must have been negotiated out of the show beforehand and that Brady's reaction to Ross making the "tame" joke that mentioned Kraft was authentic and was meant to genuinely warn Ross (and other comedians) not to joke around about Kraft again? Does this mean you believe Ross broke an agreed upon contract and exposed himself to a potential lawsuit?

Yes. I don’t know about opening himself up to a lawsuit. But yes. I’ve probably watch 20 of these roasts and there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY they let Kraft off the hook if there are no restrictions.
That's just your opinion. Again, one of the comedians said they didn't know Kraft would be there. That could explain it. And Ross did make a joke that involved him so wouldn't that prove he wasn't completely off-limits?

I already explained that he couldn’t help himself, and it was the most milquetoast lame jab. Completely counter to what Ross does. Ross would have absolutely destroyed Kraft if there were no restrictions.
I think at some point there was a gentleman's agreement (like you posted above with the comments from Nikki) that Kraft HJ jokes weren't on the menu, but Ross tried to back door one while addressing Brady, not Kraft and got a reaction. A lot of my opinion is based not on Bradys reaction, but Ross'. It wasn't "oh, gtfo" it seemed like he knew he did something he shouldn't have. :shrug:
You mean when he laughed and said ok ok? Seemed like he was just going along with it.

I'm not sure.

I think at some point there was a gentleman's agreement (like you posted above with the comments from Nikki) that Kraft HJ jokes weren't on the menu, but Ross tried to back door one while addressing Brady, not Kraft and got a reaction. A lot of my opinion is based not on Bradys reaction, but Ross'. It wasn't "oh, gtfo" it seemed like he knew he did something he shouldn't have. :shrug:
You mean when he laughed and said ok ok? Seemed like he was just going along with it.
Yes, that's what I mean.

I've seen most of those, and that exchange + what Bigbottom keeps pointing out (not another joke the rest of the night) makes me believe Kraft massage jokes were off limits.

Other than Kraft paying everyone to not joke about him, what other real reason could there be for roasters to not destroy him with massage jokes? The guy had the guts to attend the show and expected comedians to respect his feelings? GTFOH.

Other than Kraft paying everyone to not joke about him, what other real reason could there be for roasters to not destroy him with massage jokes? The guy had the guts to attend the show and expected comedians to respect his feelings? GTFOH.
Guys, really? Is it that hard to envision that a person in Brady's position just lays out that a couple of issues/events/people are off limits as a condition of him doing the roast and that, after he got such an assurance, he told Kraft that the issue wouldn't be mentioned so Kraft could feel free to attend? And then, when Ross immediately broke* the promise/assurance, Brady panicked in the moment?

*Which Ross may have done to just nip the issue in the bud and allow the other comedians to save face.

If you believe that no topics should be off limits then lets poke fun at moms cancer. That would get a rise out of Tom.
The roasters and promoters would like you to believe there are none but there absolutely needs to be limits.
Lmao there is nobody in the world who thinks cancer is funny. Totally different world than Kraft getting a little extra at a massage parlor.

Lmao there is nobody in the world who thinks cancer is funny. Totally different world than Kraft getting a little extra at a massage parlor.
Eh, I laughed at Daniel Tosh's joke: "“I hope we find a cure for every major disease, because I'm tired of walking 5K. I'm pretty sure I don't have to sweat for cancer. I'll write a check.”

I'd guess Jeselnick probably has a cancer joke or two.

I'd guess Jeselnick probably has a cancer joke or two.
He does. “Came Down With the Cancer.”

Kreischer and Segura were terrible.

Weird they edited out Kim K getting booed on the replay.
I've seen a few Segura specials and enjoyed them. I don't get the love for Kreischer.
Yeah Segura is funny, but the way they did the roast together just wasn't good IMO.

I think Segura was the only one on the deus that nobody took shots at, other than Nikki who made one comment about him and Bert together.

No one was comparing cancer humor to tug job humor.

People were arguing that "no topic was off limits". I say there are. ... #1 off limit topic - moms cancer
If you want to argue that the limits are set by Brady or if it's unwritten comedian code, ... THAT you could argue.
I just don't think there is any way Brady goes into this without setting a couple of boundaries ... because yes, cancer is NOT funny (except for Jeselnik. That guy is hilarious)
The problem is, if there is any hint that boundaries were set, the whole Roast concept looses credibility. The comedians and the roast"ed" will never admit to it.

Last edited:
I can't think of one single topic that is off limits to comedy. I think to suggest a particular topic can't be joked about is to misunderstand comedy. But I'm not suggesting that means anything goes and everyone must be ok with every joke ever made. What makes something off limits in comedy is the setting, not the topic.

I see you all have a solid grip on this Kraft joke.

I honestly don't care either way.. but I did find it intersting how Hart reacted to Ross backing down.

Doctor: "I have bad news. You have cancer and Alzheimer's."
Patient: "Well at least I don't have cancer."
Doctor: I have bad news and worse news. The bad news is you have cancer and only 24 hrs left to live

Patient: well what’s the worse news?!?

Doctor: I couldn’t get a hold of you yesterday.

The tradition at comedy roasts is that nothing is off-limits, and the more offensive the joke, the better. And for the most part, Tom Brady was a good sport about it when he was roasted on Sunday night. But one joke appeared to genuinely get under Brady’s skin.

That was a joke at the expense of Patriots owner Robert Kraft and his 2019 arrest on misdemeanor charges of soliciting at a massage parlor.

Comedian Jeff Ross, who is notorious for his ability to offend even the most good-humored subjects at roasts, began his bit about Kraft by recalling the time that Brady, then a rookie sixth-round draft pick, told Kraft, “I’m the best decision your organization has ever made.

Ross then joked that Brady added, “Would you like a massage?”

Brady then got up out of his seat, approached Ross at the lectern, and said, “Don’t say that %^&* again.” Brady’s tone and expression suggested he was serious and didn’t consider it an appropriate topic for joking
Honestly, in the parts I saw (mainly the start through Glazer), Brady was kind of a robot. He smiled a bit and laughed but the other folks including the comedians and football players were all rolling. Tom is wound tight and doesn’t seem to be a real fun guy. Didn’t surprise me at all that he’d say that to Ross.

Apologies if that was said already, but Nikki Glaser confirmed on Pat McAfee's show that Ross' joke was unplanned and that Brady did take offense to it for a real, and that Ross backed off because he is not the kind of guy who ever wants to legit offend anyone. It figures that Brady would be the one guy who would take issues about a joke at a roast (where it is usually understand that anything goes), but it's not really surprising.

Just watched, most was pretty good but some pretty cringy parts. Glazer was great, Andrew Schultz too. I’ll laugh at just about anything but the Hernandez jokes were a bit much for me.

All these words and nobody has anything to say about Tom's joke about deflategate? If I were a betting man, I would have lost that bet. Page 4 on FBG and not a word.

Maybe JB should move this thread to TSP. It would be 40 pages in no time!

Andrew Schulz told TMZ that there was absolutely a restriction on Kraft Handy jokes.......so theres that problem solved
Shocker! It was so obvious. Anybody seen Willie in here lately?
Right here. First I'm seeing this. Other comics said there were no restrictions about Kraft. This guy says he was told no Kraft jokes. OK. If I was wrong I'm wrong. I still contend Brady was not being serious. Nikki Glaser claimed Brady was being performative. Ross claimed Brady was kidding around. This guy says Brady was 100% serious. Who's giving an accurate representation? Ross seems like the only one of the three who isn't trying to milk every last second of attention from the roast so I'll go with him. Anyway, I enjoyed the discussion. If you came back here to tell me I told you so, I hear you and acknowledge there is a good chance you and pretty much everyone else were right and I misread the situation.

As a Tom Brady and Patriots hater; I thought they did a good job. On a side note, it was kind of cool seeing all-time great athletes and coaches like Belichik, Brady, Gronk and Moss nervous and a little uncomfortable. It humanized them a bit more and made it a bit more enjoyable.

The hero worship, glorification of hyper sexualization, indifference to murder and suicide are all the worst parts of our society. I know it isn't really new, but the brazen manor in which it is actually laughed about kind of makes me nauseous.
This is fairly off-topic and I haven't watched the roast yet (I will eventually), but this post resonated with me. I recently exited a Facebook group that was mainly devoted to "off-color" memes that was run by some guys/gals that I went to college with. It was right after the Baltimore bridge disaster and a couple of the guys in the group were posting - pretty much non-stop - a bunch of memes making light of the tragedy. I honestly couldn't believe it. I didn't know anyone that was affected by it, but it struck me as completely brutal to be glorifying something like that in a comedic sense. Just awful. I don't miss being in that group at all.

Ok, I am a Brady fan, but F him for that. Sorry, you can't be a "fan" of roasts and not expect was said - Giselle jokes especially. And I was on his side a bit and knowing that's not really anything goes. Really - you didn't expect your divorce to get brought up and your ex to get roasted? Was he honestly just expecting jokes about Deflategate and being Eli's *****? :thumbdown:

I like how he said he wouldn't do another one, as if anyone ever gets a 2nd roast.

For someone who studies as much as he did as a player, he sure didn't do his homework when it comes to these roasts. If anything, he got off light, since the roasters agreed not to say anything about his kids (per Nikki Glaser) and his buddy Robert Kraft only got one joke thrown his way.

Ok, I am a Brady fan, but F him for that. Sorry, you can't be a "fan" of roasts and not expect was said - Giselle jokes especially. And I was on his side a bit and knowing that's not really anything goes. Really - you didn't expect your divorce to get brought up and your ex to get roasted? Was he honestly just expecting jokes about Deflategate and being Eli's *****? :thumbdown:
I think he's listening to advice from his family law attorney.

Users who are viewing this thread