What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Robert Mathis (1 Viewer)

Otter

Footballguy
Mathis is rated #24 this week at FBG. Is it because he is "probable," or some other reason. Granted he doesn't start, but he hasn't all year and has outplayed anyone else on the Indy DL. A #24 ranking is way too low this week. Where's the respect?

It's because Brady does not get sacked very much. The Patriots use their TE's as additional (chip) blockers which makes it tough on opposing DE.RAPTURE

It's because Brady does not get sacked very much.

The Patriots use their TE's as additional (chip) blockers which makes it tough on opposing DE.

RAPTURE
I guess that explains Freeney ..oh wait..???

Mathis' last second sack of Flutie and the subsequent forced fumble will be one of the most memorable fantasy football plays of the year.

Mathis' last second sack of Flutie and the subsequent forced fumble will be one of the most memorable fantasy football plays of the year.
Real barn burner last night....Issue: our two first place teams are duking it out and it's a difference of 2 pts. At the very end the OLDEST MAN IN THE NFL comes in for 8 unbearable plays...Much to our dismay he doesn't throw an interception. Problem...The team that's down by 2 has the Indy Defense. We award 3 pts. for turnover (fumble or pick) and 1 for a sack. What we are wondering is the last play was called a sack...then he fumbles...a 4 point swing on the last play...Can there be a sack, and a fumble on the same play? Our member says a sack is down....If it's fumble not a sack then he still wins by 1...If it's a sack not a fumble the other guy wins by 1....See why I need help....Thanks

Plays where the QB gets the ball knocked out of his hand are called both a sack and a fumble.

prior to Monday night's game, RDEs (5.5) have been averaging 2.5 times as many fantasy points against the Pats this year as LDEs (2)Also, Freeney was going against a rookie at LT who just gave up 2 sacks to Aaron Schobel a week ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
prior to Monday night's game, RDEs (5.5) have been averaging 2.5 twice as many fantasy points against the Pats this year as LDEs (2)

Also, Freeney was going against a rookie at LT who just gave up 2 sacks to Aaron Schobel a week ago.
You guys put too much emphasis on what the "opponents" have been doing. Sometimes you have to take the player into consideration, just like you do for the offensive guys. I don't even think Freeny had one tackle last night. There's no perfect formula for defensive players, but there are trends... and Mathis has been outplaying Freeny this year. No way should he have been #24. I'm not just saying that now after the game, but I mentioned it my post prior to the game. Mathis should probably be in the top 10 the rest of the year until he prove's otherwise.

prior to Monday night's game, RDEs (5.5) have been averaging 2.5 times as many fantasy points against the Pats this year as LDEs (2)

Also, Freeney was going against a rookie at LT who just gave up 2 sacks to Aaron Schobel a week ago.
I can live with that. The rook didnt do too bad though, untill Flutie came in anyways. Thank God for Mathis's output this year- Pppers has been killing me. I havent played in these last 2 weeks-which was a bad move this week, so Mathis has been huge. Do you think that once Indy locks up home field advantage Mathis will be a starter and Freeney will have some rests..?(More FF Potential to AT LEAST rack up the tackles) I know the sacks will be harder to come by but I count on the tackles more than anything??

Do you think that once Indy locks up home field advantage Mathis will be a starter and Freeney will have some rests..?(More FF Potential to AT LEAST rack up the tackles) I know the sacks will be harder to come by but I count on the tackles more than anything??
Assuming this (and the Nov 20 game vs. @ the Bengals and Nov 28th game vs. Steelers will clue us in whether this is a correct assumption) - the Colts would rest Mathis as much as Freeney because he is so small (while still valuable). The Colts would probably play Jonathon Welsh and Josh Thomas more if they wanted to rest people on D (which I don't see happening until at the earliest week 16).

Last edited by a moderator:
during the MNF broadcast, the announcers mentioned that Freeney has an arch problem that limits him during practice. I'm wondering how many snaps he plays in games as well? The Colts defensive line is very deep these days so it's not like they have to overwork him on early downs if they don't want to. For a guy being discussed as a potential league MVP, his numbers really aren't that overwhelming. (I understand his impact on the rest of the defense, but for a defensive player to win league MVP, I think his numbers would have to be way above his peers)

during the MNF broadcast, the announcers mentioned that Freeney has an arch problem that limits him during practice. I'm wondering how many snaps he plays in games as well? The Colts defensive line is very deep these days so it's not like they have to overwork him on early downs if they don't want to. For a guy being discussed as a potential league MVP, his numbers really aren't that overwhelming. (I understand his impact on the rest of the defense, but for a defensive player to win league MVP, I think his numbers would have to be way above his peers)
I've wondered this as well, but Freeney was part of the band chasing Flutie around during that last meaningless series, so...

I too thought the ranking was to question.Mathis has been a stud all year, and desrves the start over Freeney especially on grass turf . :yes: In one league, I benched Freeney in favor of Mathis and it made a difference in the win/loss column.

Users who are viewing this thread