What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ronnie Hillman, Denver 1/3 STARTING RB (8 Viewers)

I thought ball would miss more time.with only two to three games versus tough opponents, it may not be worth it to burn a waiver spot on either of these guys
Do you trust the report right now though? It seems to early to trust any reports, especially with a groin injury. That's what ended my football career and let me tell you, the groin area is ####### complex and even with MRIs/CT/Xray/ultrasound/etc. it's very difficult for very good doctors to diagnose.
Your groin ended your football career? I didn't know you have a complex groin much less a football career. Good to know.
:lmao:

So Juwan Thompson then. Actually I'm going to wait and see what Lammey says and do the opposite. He's an insider you know.

Footnote: Running back C.J. Anderson landed on the inactive list, Fox explained, because the Broncos wanted an extra defensive back to counter Arizona's multiple wide receiver sets. So Tony Carter took Anderson's spot.
IMO this is very good news for Anderson.

No injury, no discipline. Just Ball as starter, Hillman as COP, and Thomas as special teamer with a need for an extra body elsewhere that week.

So Juwan Thompson then. Actually I'm going to wait and see what Lammey says and do the opposite. He's an insider you know.
He's already endorsed Hillman
Footnote: Running back C.J. Anderson landed on the inactive list, Fox explained, because the Broncos wanted an extra defensive back to counter Arizona's multiple wide receiver sets. So Tony Carter took Anderson's spot.

No injury, no discipline. Just Ball as starter, Hillman as COP, and Thomas as special teamer with a need for an extra body elsewhere that week.
The bolded is also good news for Anderson.

I disagree. Usually teams bring their best backups to the game in case of injury/ineffectiveness.

I have a high ww spot and will not use it on either. Gonna try for cj after the ww process runs. I don't think anyone in my league knows about cj anderson. That way if im wrong at least I won't burn my ww spot

I disagree. Usually teams bring their best backups to the game in case of injury/ineffectiveness.
Except we already know Denver doesn't always do that.

It's entirely possible they dressed three RBs with specific roles Sunday and "backup RB" wasn't one of them.

not always in denver.... as someone pointed out earlier in this thread... 2012 mcgahee went down and Knowshown went from inactive to 25 touches the following week...

Last edited by a moderator:
Define "Best."

That's kind of the point of contention. Best every-down? Best runner? Best 3rd down? Best blocker? I completely see how whom you dress could depend on the situation.

I believe it's going to be between Thompson and Anderson (most likely Anderson). Hillman is too small for them to trust in pass protection

If I wind up with another Denver RB on my team tomorrow it will be because my other 3 waiver targets were claimed by someone else ahead of me and I reluctantly add Anderson as a free agent. I think he gets more snaps than Hillman.

not always in denver.... as someone pointed out earlier in this thread... 2012 mcgahee went down and Knowshown went from inactive to 25 touches the following week...
doesnt mean thats exactly what will happen this week/situation

Did the joke fly over my head or is the ball cancer situation real? If real, link please.
He caught it from Marshall Faulk.
Props to you and fantasycurse42 for keeping ye olde memes alive.

This is a dice roll either way -- in absence of Ball, both backs will likely have a role. As far as ability, Hillman is more suited as passing down/3rd down/COP back with Anderson taking first down/run snaps. But they will likely split carries until one separates themselves.

While the potential value is there, the situation is far from clear. Would rather roll with Brendan Oliver or Andre Williams, who will likely see more reliable carries in the short term, than gamble on either Anderson or Hillman in a longer term replacement while Ball is out.

It sounds like Anderson is the better inside runner and Hillman is the better receiver. So....who's the better blocker? That will determine who sees the lions share of the snaps.

It sounds like Anderson is the better inside runner and Hillman is the better receiver. So....who's the better blocker? That will determine who sees the lions share of the snaps.
True. Until the fumble comes. 1st to fumble hits the bench first.

This sucks we have to wait one week to see how this shakes out and than you might get 1 start from the guy taking over for Ball before Ball is back.

True. Until the fumble comes. 1st to fumble hits the bench first.
Yup. Fumbles do suck. For that team though....I'm looking for the ball control guy who can pass block and who can get 3rd and 3 or 4 if he has to. To me, that's the guy...

Haven't read a post, any consensus or just people saying two names back-and-forth at each other?

FWIW, Fantasypros "experts" have Hillman as the unanimous #1 add this week over CJ Anderson, Andre Williams, and Branden Oliver.

Was pretty surprised to see that.

FWIW, Fantasypros "experts" have Hillman as the unanimous #1 add this week over CJ Anderson, Andre Williams, and Branden Oliver.

no one knows though, that's what scary. there hasnt been a peep out of denver yet on who gets the work... not even a league sources type report... its all been people making assumptions at this point... i bet we may not get any news until tomorrow's after practice presser and even that is probably going to be something to the effect "all 3 guys have to step up.. blah blah blah" :cool:

no one knows though, that's what scary. there hasnt been a peep out of denver yet on who gets the work... not even a league sources type report... its all been people making assumptions at this point... i bet we may not get any news until tomorrow's after practice presser and even that is probably going to be something to the effect "all 3 guys have to step up.. blah blah blah" :cool:
Yeah that's part of why I was surprised; I would think there would be more disagreement between the "experts" on the Hillman vs CJ question, but for whatever reason they seem pretty convinced it's Hillman. Was also surprised they had Hillman over Andre Williams.

This sucks we have to wait one week to see how this shakes out and than you might get 1 start from the guy taking over for Ball before Ball is back.
I have nothing to base this on......but I think Ball is going to be out for a long time......groin injuries, even minor pulls are nasty and easily aggravated.....softball guy in me has had a few and freakin rolling over in bed can aggravate them.......I was concerned about this one not really looking like a "limp off the field" type of deal....it looked like it was pretty serious......

thats a long way of saying I think you get more than one start out of whoever wins the job.....which makes it noteworthy in fantasy cause there are fantasy points to be had at DEN RB....although I do think the ball will be in Mannings hands even inside the 5 for the most part.....I think this team enjoys inflating Mannings stats.....you may get some yards between the 20 nad maybe one shot to punch it when you get in the red zone/10, but after that it's stat padding time for the 38 year old HOF'er....

Sabertooth said:
need2know said:
Sabertooth said:
He's already endorsed Hillman
wdcrob said:

The bolded is also good news for Anderson.
This effectively locks in my waiver claims and validates carrying CJ as my handcuff to Ball. Put it in the bank.

:IBTL:

The problem, of course, is that once we know how this shakes out the player will either a) not be available or b) will be exceptionally expensive.

In 2012 after McGahee went down Moreno went from healthy scratch for weeks to #8 RB in total points for weeks 12-17.

Given the uncertainty around A) length of Ball's injury and B) the lead role while he's out, Hillman seems like he's being priced higher than expected value, and as a result Anderson and Thompson are being priced below EV - so I'm going to be aiming for those guys and let someone else overpay (relative to expectations) for Hillman.

Next 2 weeks are NYJ and SF, both top 10 run defenses. After that it's SD who will go into the game with the plan to waste as much clock as possible to keep the ball out of Manning's hands. Whoever the RB in DEN is the next 2-3 weeks doesn't have a lot of help from the schedule so if that's all the longer Ball is out he'll come back to his starting job.

Hillman will be the change of pace back like he has been for the past few years.

Juwan Thompson would have been the guy in that game if Fox thought he was capable. Don't think they are going to trust a rookie to protect Peyton.

When talking about the situation on moving the chains Fox said "Unfortunately CJ was inactive and on the sideline in sweats"

Everyone can make their guesses on who's going to get the job but it's going to come down to who performs the best. Neither back has distanced themselves from the other so ts going to be the guy who makes the big plays or on the flip side the guy who fumbles or misses the block wil be on the outside looking in. Should be interesting because this has the potential to be a difference making backfield if the stars align.

Everyone can make their guesses on who's going to get the job but it's going to come down to who performs the best. Neither back has distanced themselves from the other so ts going to be the guy who makes the big plays or on the flip side the guy who fumbles or misses the block wil be on the outside looking in. Should be interesting because this has the potential to be a difference making backfield if the stars align.
True. I still think ball simply takes the job back in 3 weeks

Users who are viewing this thread