What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Round 1 recap and look ahead to tomorrow night (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
So many players to talk about. This is simply my gut reaction to most of the picks. I'm not an expert by any means, just an NFL fan who probably has gotten an overload of Path to the Draft but I really was surprised and in some cases disappointed. I also feel it is going to be real tough to cast judgement on teams until we see what they do in the 2nd round. Did player A and player B that we thought Miami(example) should have taken...but instead end up with a combo of players C and D...which is a stronger haul from the draft? We will have to wait and see tomorrow.

Also this year we have soemthing we haven't had and that is a big break between rounds 1 and 2. St Louis and their phones must be ringing off the hook.

1. St Louis-QB Sam Bradford: I hate this pick for so many reasons but I'll try and keep it somewhat focused. They have a lot of needs, I think Bradford sets the franchise back, he's not NFL ready, ran a spread offense of sorts and Gruden showed that this kid doesn't think for himself too well. IMO he is not a franchise QB and not ready to start right away in the NFL. Look how he got injured!!! Couldn't recognize a defense and make some adjustments, never sees a blitzing DB and ends up getting hurt on the play. I really believe they could have pulled a trade with Tampa and traded down two spots even if they just picked up a 3rd in this draft. And now Clausen available at the 2.01 IMHO makes their #1 pick on Bradford look that much weaker. The Rams will be picking in the top10 for years to come.

2. Detroit Lions-DT ND Suh: They got it right. I know Walter Football was endorsing Okung and that would have been great if they went that way too. They have revamped the DL and they will be able to stop the run which in turn helps guys like Calvin and Stafford to get on the field more. I'll talk about Best towards the end of this. I don't think they could lose taking Suh. I'm very happy for Detroit fans and I'm pulling for them a little bit to get back to something we can talk about. Good days ahead in Detroit.

3. Tampa Bay-DT Gerald McCoy: Need more than anything. I'm not as high on McCoy as others and feel there is a giant difference between McCoy and Suh but only time will prove me right at this point. They were gonna lock up huge money anyways, why not trade up and take Suh? I'm not thrilled with the pick at all.

4. Washington Redskins-T Trent Williams: He fits the system better than Okung but I don't think he was the top Tackle in the draft. This is a good pick for McNabb and the running game there. They still have a long way to go on the OL but it's an anchor in the water for them.

5. Kansas City Chiefs-S Eric Berry: Good pick but Safetys taken in the top10 don't usually make great selections. I like him though and they needed an identity on defense. Maybe Clausen in the 2nd? Just conjecture.

6. Seattle Seahawks-LT R.Okung: Great pick. I predicted in my draft thread form back in early March that Seattle would be well served if they went OL heavy in this draft and then next year start looking for more toys to fill in around it. I was not high on Pete Carroll when they hired him. but I am impressed with what he did in the 1st round. Stayed away form the bling and got better almost overnight. This was a no brainer.

7. Cleveland Browns-CB Joe Haden: Not impressed with this at the 7 spot. I'll let Cleveland fans defend it but Holmgren talked all that BS, acted like he was a centerpiece to this draft(trade partner)...you never heard a peep from Bill Parcells this year, or last year, or the year b4 that when we took Long. Not Mike though, any microphone within several zip codes around him seems to be in play for him to voice his message all over the place. You talk all that spit about Bradford, Clausen, Tebow...then you come out with this as your pick? I'm not saying they had to take a QB, or they had to take anyone...I mocked Haden at #8 to the Raiders so I don't think they reached here. This pick is not half as bad as when we get to #10 and beyond.

8. Oakland Raiders-ILB Rolando McClain: I like the pick just fine. They can't pick skill position players to save their life, and since their defense is on the field a lot, why not get a guy that probably will have 150 tackles now? I'm just pulling numbers here but honestly this guy is going to get a lot of work. He was a force for the Crimson Tide and in 2 or 3 years he might be one of the top LB in football, so you kinda have to not pile on Oakland. I think this is a solid pick even if it wasn't their biggest need. Remember there are several guys on the board and when they pick tomorrow they could easily find a LT that can start this season for them. I like the McClain pick adn think it will look stronger tomorrow after they make their round 2 selection.

9. Buffalo Bills-RB CJ Spiller: From a FF perspective I am not too happy. Don't worry about Lynch, I doubt Spiller will share a backfield with him and if that were the plan...Buffalo is even more of a lemonade stand than originally thought. I mentioned that if you look back at HC Chan Gailey in Dallas that they ran the ball an awful lot. He is going to run the ball a lot in Buffalo. Some folks said that the Bills looked like they were turning the lights out on a store front when they went with their current GM, the Gailey hiring...I'm not happy Spiller landed in Buffalo and I bet he's not either except that he will get top10 money althouhg I expect him to be a late signer, just a hunch. Dynast owners at the 1.01/1.02 caannot be thrilled here.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars-QB Tim Tebow DT Tyson Aluala: If there is a book on how to run a franchise into the ground it seems Jacksonville has gotten their hands on it and started implementing this into their strategy. They are nowhere close to the playoffs or SB at this moment and yet they continue to do dumb things. Why would you take a guy at #10 that isn't on hardly anyone's 1st round mock. But forget that even for a second because who cares what MOP, Mel Kiper, or Mike Mayock think(Did MOP just do what I think he did) because right after Jax picked a whole bunch of trades ensue. Now I can buy that St Louis did not get many offers because of the ridiculous money involved in the #1 pick...but you can't tll me that Jax couldn't find a dance partner. This was a terrible pick because they could have had this guy int he 2nd round...and they could have had Tebow who had his party in their city...all they had to do was trade down 5 or 6 spots adn they still could ahve grabbed him and filled the stadium up with fans for the next 2-3 years. DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!

11. (via trade) San Fran-OT Anthony Davis: Finally I see San Fran address the OL which is gonna give poor Alex Smith a lot more time to find Crabtree and Davis. Gore owners have to be thrilled. No RB in the 1st and they pick not one but two OL in the 1st round. You all know I am a big RB fan in this league, very much behind what the San Fran front office brass is doing. Even like Ginn Jr a lot more for them after they made these picks. Ginn can run sprints for days but you might have to throw it to him 4 times b4 he comes down with 1...but he gets open deep with no problem. Good Tackles which San Fran will now have can provide an extra half second so the WR can make that break or cut...it's huge in the passing game. Love what San Fran did. Davis is not the best OL in the draft but Ninersfans should be happy tonight.

12. San Diego-RB Ryan Mathews: He is so not worth this pick. As a Miami fan I am thrilled. We got Marshall for a 2nd this year(thank you San Diego), and now we slide down in the 1st to fill the DT hole which I will get to later, but they also pick up a high selection in tomorrow night's leg of this race. Mathews is fine but if you watch enough game tape I don't think you will be overly impressed with this kid. He is not a 3 down back either. Why didn't San Diego sign someone that was a FA and build up other parts of that team on defense that need addressed now. Not a fan of this for San Diego...but Miami made out like a bandit. We got a 4th to boot too.

13. Philadelphia Eagles-DE/OLB Brandon Graham: They just couldn't live without this guy? Much bigger fan of Jerry Hughes. This just doesn't look good to me. He is rated high on a lot of boards though and if Philly needed pass rush which they did, perhaps this pick will look much better in 2012. Sometimes you need to draft for the future...Philly IMO is not gunning for the SB this year so again this pick will likely look better after the draft unfolds and also over the next couple years.

14. Seattle Seahawks-S Earl Thomas: I like the kid, he's going to be a centerpiece on the defense that has some big play LBs, the strength for them the next couple years will be their LBs and now their DBs which they want to upgrade. Solid pick.

15. NY Giants-DE Jason Pierre Paul: Suckers!!! I like JPP because he's a USF boy but I really think he is completely unpolishe and won't be ready for a couple years. That may work out but I am not expecting double digit sack totals form him anytime soon.

16. Tennessee Titans-DE Derrick Morgan: I don't see Superstar in the making here but he should be solid. They needed to retool some along the DL and this kid is going to perform well. I see him in that 6-8 sack type role, good in run support, not a sexy pick but they needed this. Many have this kid uber high on their boards and I think for good reason. Maybe I am selling him just a bit short here. He's not my favorite but he could easily be a 10 year type starter in this league.

17. San Fran-OL Mike Iupati: Gore owners rejoice!!! Niners got a truckload better on the OL. They grabbed guys that will make them better next year and good for years to come. The top of the mountain in the NFC West is open for someone to take the crown, San Fran took a few steps in that direction tonight.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers-C Maurkice Pouncey: They suck on the OL, this was a terrible need for them and they might have found the best offensive interior lineman in the draft. This will be step one in overhauling the OL, but Mendy owners should be very happy tonight just like Gore owners. Decent teams that take top rated OL in the draft tend to stay good, wonder why those two go hand in hand so much...

19. Atlanta Falcons-OLB Sean Weatherspoon: Hard working guy that keeps his nose clean and fits in well with Coach Smith here. I don't feel the guy is overly talented but he's solid and will upgrade their LB from what they have right now. Is this the pick that puts them ahead of New Orleans in the NFC South? No, but they need to get to Brees somehow and this will help them a lot.

20. Houston Texans-DB Kareem Jackson: Let Dante Robinson walk and then you go out in the 1st round and this? I know they had a huge need but I like Kylie Wilson leaps and bounds better. We'll see but when you look back at drafts over the years...very few times are there 2 of any position that get drafted in the same spot or close to it and they both work out. This is why I am not thrilled with Tampa taking McCoy...can they both be that good? How often do 2 QBs that go in the top 10...how often do they both pan out. Now Texans fans can defend this pick but losing a big time player then replacing him in the draft...how often does that work? I'm actually curious. Usually a big fan of what Houston does but this didn't feel right to me.

21. Cincinnati Bengals-TE Jermaine Gresham: Some love this pick but I don't. Forget what they have or don't have at TE...when was the last time if ever that Cinci threw the ball to their TE with any consistency. They have become a power running team and they had a chance in this draft to get better along the OL and they opt for a TE that they seem to show they don't even know how to use...what playbook do they hand him? I-40 Power Left on two??? I was really excited about this guy in my 2 PPRTE Dynasty League but I probably wouldn't even consider drafting him now. Will Gresham ever catch 50 balls? I doubt it.

22. Denver Broncos-WR Demaryius Thomas: As ESPN said, if he rimnds you of Marshall who they got in the 4th I believe...why did you ever trade Marshall and then turn around and burn a 1st? I know Marshall could not go on in Denver but honestly, McDaniel would have ousted Bill Clinton when he was President and replaced him with Michael Dukakis, you know what I'm trying to say here? I understand he wants his guys and I'll get to Tebow in a few spots but on the whole, I feel he has made a mess in Denver and the owner has allowed it. I would love to hear Pat Bowlen talk with Jerry Jones at these owner meetings...

Jerry Jones: What the heck are you doing?

Pat Bowlen: These young head coaches Jerry...they think they know it all so I let him run with it...if he fails I'll blow it up in a year or two and start over."

You laugh, but I want to be a fly on the wall when that conversation was going on.

23. Green Bay-OT Brian Bulaga: Solid even if he is part rotational to begin with. He will start within the next couple years and I like the pick. Rodgers, Jennings, and the RBs, they all benefit.

24. Dallas Cowboys-WR Dez Bryant: I love the pick, it's splashy, adn for once the Cowboys are pretty good befroe they go and grab the bling. Miles Austin owners are worried tonight but they shouldn't be. Austin benefits with Dez on the other side. To me the guy that might take a hit here some is Jason Witten. I know Romo loves him but the WR stable got crowded. Roy Williams is not gonna make it but if he can settle in to being a WR3, this offense is pretty awesome. They had to answr the McNabb and Skins hype, Philly hype...now all eyes turn to Dallas.

I also remember when Dallas passed on Randy Moss and Jerry Jones has never forgotten it, even if Dez has question marks, the risk seems to be worth the possible reward. Dez Bryant is going to be a star with a star on his helmet, and he is going ot make teams pay dearly for passing on him. Maimi never passed on you Dez, we just traded down and you were taken before we could get to you againn, so don't forget that when we play you next season...take your anger out on the rest of the league. About 23 GMs gonna have some splainin' to do when we look back.

25. Denver Broncos-QB Tim Tebow: I am really happy for Tebow, glad he gets some 1st round money, he'll do great things with it. I want him to do well but I hate McD so the feelings are mixed here. I'm gonna save this for below, sure many others have strong opinions on him.

26. Arizona Cardinals-DT Dan Willaims: Nice pick, very solid, fills needs and they look like they got a top notch DT and didn't have to pay premium for him. Nice move by a franchise that has had an up and down off season.

27. New England-DB Devin McCourty: Honestly, don't know a ton about him so I'm not going to pretend to. What I will say about New England is this...they have several picks in a loaded 2nd round tomorrow. I am more interested in tomorrow night than I am in what happened tonight. New England is going to come loaded out of the 2nd and 3rd round tomorrow night and whether you've heard of all the guys they take or not, my guess is they are going to be well stocked and retooling, look out if you think Miami and New York are going to jog up and tap them on the shoulder for a better view. New England is going to get high marks when they are through I promise you.

28. Miami Dolphins-DE/DT Jared Odrick: I love Miami trading down and actually moving up in the 2nd some from where they were and also we must not forget they got Brandon Marshall!!! At first when they made the trade based on what the Jets gave up to get Holmes I was kinda happy and also a bit worried that we overpaid...but we paid almost nothing now with the trade down. I can't find many players in the last 16 picks that Miami couldn't live without...yes Dan Williams at 28 would have been icing on the cake but they now have a 2nd to work with and they picked up a 4th. I think they have a 2nd, 3rd, (2) 4ths, (2) 5ths, adn 3(6ths), that gives them a bunch of picks to move around and maybe fill somes holes at OLB and Safety...but overall Miami is not a strong playoff team yet so I like the fact they are getting better and also developing guys for the future. When Parcells leaves and he will eventually, this team will be good for years to come. Hopefully we never have a repeat of 2008. Do i love Odrick? Not so much but he is 6 foot 5, 300 lbs and he looked slim to me so I think he will play some NT, but I also will not be surprised if he plays DE on a rotation of Starks, Langford, Merling, now add Odrick...still would love to see Miami go get Cam Thomas in the 2nd tomorrow. No problem with us getting bigger and better along the DL, Miami could use it.

29. NY Jets-DB Kyle Wilson: One of the best picks in the 2nd half of the draft, top rated CB on many boards. We need a picture of Rex Ryan driving the school bus here. Now they ahve 2 really strong CBs to take out the other side of the field opposite Revis, it's just not fair. I hate the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!!!

30. Detroit Lions-RB Jahvid Best: I actually don't love this play by the Lions. not sure what they gave up to move up 3 or 4 spots but I imagine they knew teams were going to call St Louis all night tonight and they wanted to make sure they got their guy. I understand what they did but I would have liked them to stay put and maybe get a RB in the 3rd. Best will do well there IMO and the track at Ford Field will serve him well. Big play ability out of their backfield. I am on board the Lions train CHOO CHOO!!!

31. Indianapolis Colts-De/OLB Jerry Hughes: Love the pic, gets to play with Freeney which will only help him, not hurt him. Indy made a wise selection tonight IMO. They need some OL help tomorrow night though.

32. New Orleans Saints-DB Patrick Robertson: Whatever, they won the Super bowl last year, they are loaded on offense, they are going to continue to be a high octane offense so what does it matter? Robertson is a fine selection for some DB help but they could have gone in any direction here...even drafted Clausen should they have wanted to. They could do no wrong here but I would have preferred some help in their LBs but this is a weak LB class.

Shocked Clausen was not taken at some point.

Thanks for reading this.

:confused:

I agree with alot of this

Shame Spiller will never reach his potential. The Jags should be run out of town. Happy for Tebow and I for one will be watching the Tebow/Thomas connection or not with great interest

Last edited by a moderator:
:confused: I agree with alot of thisShame Spiller will never reach his potential. The Jags should be run out of town. Happy for Tebow and I for one will be watching the Tebow/Thomas connection or not with great interest
I still feel Spiller will shine but Buffalo has no OL, no QB, weak weapons in the passing game...the team just seems lost right now. But Buffalo looked like an expansion team for many years in the 70s and 80s until they started to find guys like Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly, just saying...they have had guys succeed there like OJ and Thurman so it can happen.

Will be interesting to see if Weiss talks Chiefs into Clausen, or he falls past the Chiefs. If the Chiefs let him go by, that will be a pretty strong indictment on the guy.

21. Cincinnati Bengals-TE Jermaine Gresham: Some love this pick but I don't. Forget what they have or don't have at TE...when was the last time if ever that Cinci threw the ball to their TE with any consistency. They have become a power running team and they had a chance in this draft to get better along the OL and they opt for a TE that they seem to show they don't even know how to use...what playbook do they hand him? I-40 Power Left on two??? I was really excited about this guy in my 2 PPRTE Dynasty League but I probably wouldn't even consider drafting him now. Will Gresham ever catch 50 balls? I doubt it.
i see what you're getting at here, but maybe the reason the Bengals TEs never catch the ball very often is that they've been rolling with scrubs for years. I mean the best TE they've had recently was Reggie Kelly.here's the way I see it... the past two years they have drafted a TE, which is a statement that they want to add that dimension to their offense. i forget the guys name from last year on hard knocks out of missouri, but it seemed like they had big hopes for him only to realize he can't block.now, whether or not he catches 50 balls remains to be seen. there might not be alot to go around after 85 and Bryant get theirs, not to mention Benson will be running the ball. the one question i have about Gresham is: can he block? before the draft i was under the impression that this guy was a pretty well-rounded TE prospect who can catch and block equally well, but what i heard tonight made it sound like his blocking skills are lacking. if andre caldwell can catch 50 balls in this offense while splitting with Coles/85/the late Henry on a run-first team, i don't see why Gresham can't. i'm considering him in my dynasty... with 85 and Bryant, he'll have the middle of the field all to himself, esp. on play action.

I have hardly studied the DTs at all, but just watching the highlights of their workouts that they've shown on TV, I actually think McCoy looks smoother than Suh with a better frame. Maybe Suh is more of a playmaker and maybe he'll end up being the much better pro, but I don't see that pick at #3 as any kind of a travesty nor do I think it was a need pick. Most people thought Suh and McCoy were both top 5 caliber talents independent of team need.

As for examples of two players at the same position being drafted very close together:

1.01 - QB Eli Manning

1.04 - QB Philip Rivers

1.02 - WR Charles Rogers

1.03 - WR Andre Johnson

1.30 - CB Sammy Davis

1.31 - CB Nnamdi Asomugha

1.15 - WR Rod Gardner

1.16 - WR Santana Moss

1.01 - QB Tim Couch

1.02 - QB Donovan McNabb

1.04 - RB Edgerrin James

1.05 - RB Ricky Williams

Those are just a few of the many examples. There's nothing that says the guy chosen second can't become a better player or that they can't both become great pros. You make it sound like the Bucs were set on drafting a DT and they made a huge reach to get McCoy because Suh was gone. In reality, McCoy and Suh are both considered elite talents and they both just happen to play the same position.

MOP, no offense, but you dogged the majority of the picks and where they were taken. If that's the case, who should these teams have taken? The top 6 picks were locked. From then on out, you had an issue with a good # of the picks saying they weren't worth being taken here, etc. The problem is, if you keep saying that, then they shoulda just skipped the 1st round and waited. Unfortunately, you can't do that.

:rolleyes: I agree with alot of thisShame Spiller will never reach his potential. The Jags should be run out of town. Happy for Tebow and I for one will be watching the Tebow/Thomas connection or not with great interest
I still feel Spiller will shine but Buffalo has no OL, no QB, weak weapons in the passing game...the team just seems lost right now. But Buffalo looked like an expansion team for many years in the 70s and 80s until they started to find guys like Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly, just saying...they have had guys succeed there like OJ and Thurman so it can happen.
maybe the Bills make a move tomorrow night to get Clausen, but where are they going to find OL prospects? the best have already been taken.the other weird thing about this pick is that a large part of Spiller's value is on PR and KRs... yet the Bills already have roscoe parrish and leodis mcklevin who are both above average PR and KRers. not to mention they fired the one good coach they had, who happened to coach special teams...i just don't get it. they seem poised to take the most-inept-team-title from the Raiders very shortly.

i see what you're getting at here, but maybe the reason the Bengals TEs never catch the ball very often is that they've been rolling with scrubs for years. I mean the best TE they've had recently was Reggie Kelly.here's the way I see it... the past two years they have drafted a TE, which is a statement that they want to add that dimension to their offense. i forget the guys name from last year on hard knocks out of missouri, but it seemed like they had big hopes for him only to realize he can't block.

now, whether or not he catches 50 balls remains to be seen. there might not be alot to go around after 85 and Bryant get theirs, not to mention Benson will be running the ball. the one question i have about Gresham is: can he block? before the draft i was under the impression that this guy was a pretty well-rounded TE prospect who can catch and block equally well, but what i heard tonight made it sound like his blocking skills are lacking.

if andre caldwell can catch 50 balls in this offense while splitting with Coles/85/the late Henry on a run-first team, i don't see why Gresham can't. i'm considering him in my dynasty... with 85 and Bryant, he'll have the middle of the field all to himself, esp. on play action.
That's my point as well. They don't throw it there enough. How many times after a Cinci game do they go "If we just had a better TE we would have won the game."Gresham is not a blocker by trait wither, he was injured last year but he had games of 10+/130+ against Florida, this guy is not a run blocking TE. What kind of offense are they running in Cinci? I think it's power running but maybe they have bigger plans. To me it was one of those lazy picks that wasn't thought out well.

I don't like the Gresham pick much either, tbh. It's not that I think he's a horrible player or a guaranteed bust, but they passed up Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas to take him. It reminds me of when the Lions passed on Nicks and Harvin to take Pettigrew last year. Yea, you've got a solid starting TE, but is that really worth the opportunity cost of a starting receiver? The Bengals would've been better off having never signed Antonio Bryant, then they could've felt good about taking Dez there and they could've drafted one of the many talented TE prospects who will be available in rounds 2-4. This is one of the deepest TE classes I have seen since I started following the draft.

I don't like the Gresham pick much either, tbh. It's not that I think he's a horrible player or a guaranteed bust, but they passed up Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas to take him. It reminds me of when the Lions passed on Nicks and Harvin to take Pettigrew last year. Yea, you've got a solid starting TE, but is that really worth the opportunity cost of a starting receiver? The Bengals would've been better off having never signed Antonio Bryant, then they could've felt good about taking Dez there and they could've drafted one of the many talented TE prospects who will be available in rounds 2-4. This is one of the deepest TE classes I have seen since I started following the draft.
thanks MOP and EBF....mental note to self.... do not draft Greshem in dynasty draft....

I have hardly studied the DTs at all, but just watching the highlights of their workouts that they've shown on TV, I actually think McCoy looks smoother than Suh with a better frame. Maybe Suh is more of a playmaker and maybe he'll end up being the much better pro, but I don't see that pick at #3 as any kind of a travesty nor do I think it was a need pick. Most people thought Suh and McCoy were both top 5 caliber talents independent of team need. As for examples of two players at the same position being drafted very close together:20041.01 - QB Eli Manning1.04 - QB Philip Rivers20031.02 - WR Charles Rogers1.03 - WR Andre Johnson2003 1.30 - CB Sammy Davis1.31 - CB Nnamdi Asomugha2001 1.15 - WR Rod Gardner1.16 - WR Santana Moss19991.01 - QB Tim Couch1.02 - QB Donovan McNabb1999 1.04 - RB Edgerrin James1.05 - RB Ricky WilliamsThose are just a few of the many examples. There's nothing that says the guy chosen second can't become a better player or that they can't both become great pros. You make it sound like the Bucs were set on drafting a DT and they made a huge reach to get McCoy because Suh was gone. In reality, McCoy and Suh are both considered elite talents and they both just happen to play the same position.
Good points EBF, and to me there is a major difference in Suh and McCoy. I don't see where McCoy is smoother, but I got to see a lot of Warren Sapp in person both at the U and when he played in Tampa Bay. He's the best most explosive DT that I ever saw play. The season opener where they played SF in 97 or 98...that was the game that put him on the map as the biggest force in football along the DL...what I'm getting at is Suh is the first DT that reminds me of Warren Sapp. Sapp was originally a TE, some don't know that but he was very athletic. Suh just seems explosive to me and very agile, also seems to be very fast for a DL. I like the examples you gave but I can find twice as many of guys drafted around the same spot that have very different paths in the NFL...but you know that EBF. Again, nice use of the draft picks to show two guys can make it same position closely drafted.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars-QB Tim Tebow DT Tyson Aluala: If there is a book on how to run a franchise into the ground it seems Jacksonville has gotten their hands on it and started implementing this into their strategy. They are nowhere close to the playoffs or SB at this moment and yet they continue to do dumb things. Why would you take a guy at #10 that isn't on hardly anyone's 1st round mock. But forget that even for a second because who cares what MOP, Mel Kiper, or Mike Mayock think(Did MOP just do what I think he did) because right after Jax picked a whole bunch of trades ensue. Now I can buy that St Louis did not get many offers because of the ridiculous money involved in the #1 pick...but you can't tll me that Jax couldn't find a dance partner. This was a terrible pick because they could have had this guy int he 2nd round...and they could have had Tebow who had his party in their city...all they had to do was trade down 5 or 6 spots adn they still could ahve grabbed him and filled the stadium up with fans for the next 2-3 years. DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!
Substitute the names and it's almost verbatim what was said about the Jags taking Knighton and Cox in the 3rd last year. Yet in spite of all the talking heads hating on the picks(Kiper said Cox was almost undraftable) Knighton and Cox both went on to have very successful rookie seasons. You say Jacksonville is running the franchise into the ground, yet the first 5 players selected in the 2009 draft all gave meaningful production last season. Beyond the first 5 picks Dillard and Zach Miller2 also looked very good at times while battling some injuries. Until Gene Smith misses on some pick you might want to ignore the intelligencia of the mock draft community and give a little credit to the guy that completely nailed the first draft of his GM career in 2009.

:hifive: well put

Substitute the names and it's almost verbatim what was said about the Jags taking Knighton and Cox in the 3rd last year. Yet in spite of all the talking heads hating on the picks(Kiper said Cox was almost undraftable) Knighton and Cox both went on to have very successful rookie seasons. You say Jacksonville is running the franchise into the ground, yet the first 5 players selected in the 2009 draft all gave meaningful production last season. Beyond the first 5 picks Dillard and Zach Miller2 also looked very good at times while battling some injuries. Until Gene Smith misses on some pick you might want to ignore the intelligencia of the mock draft community and give a little credit to the guy that completely nailed the first draft of his GM career in 2009.
They just are on Chapters one and two, the really heavy stuff is coming. Wads, I think your a quality poster and a real fan, I give you a lot of credit but are you really gonna defend that pick tonight? I think both networks were a little speechless adn for whatever reason it seems that all the networks want to pump up everything instead of being a little more honest about the picks.

I don't want Jax to fail but Tebow would have filled that place up for the next 2-3 years. He was in Jax tonight, he so wanted to stay in Florida. Denver got a great locker room guy and fan favortie if nothing else.

They needed a new coach and stuck with JDR mostly due to money, that's not a recipe for success and neither was this IMHO. Deep draft for DT...DEEP!!! No need to reach for a DT.

MOP should be on staff if he isn't already. dude adds a ton to the board.
:thumbup: :unsure: Always wondered why MOP doesn't just start his own fantasy football site.To think, some of this undeniable talent was being wasted stocking Whole Foods aisles...

MOP, no offense, but you dogged the majority of the picks and where they were taken. If that's the case, who should these teams have taken? The top 6 picks were locked. From then on out, you had an issue with a good # of the picks saying they weren't worth being taken here, etc. The problem is, if you keep saying that, then they shoulda just skipped the 1st round and waited. Unfortunately, you can't do that.
This is a very good question GM. I actually only dogged 10,12 and 15 in the beginning. Let's not confuse McCoy with dogging him...I'm not saying the Bucs won't get some milage from this pick, I just feel the difference between Suh and McCoy is rather substantial but others like EBF are showing that guys can be drafted very closely and both make it in the NFL from the same position. Jax reached, there isn't much debate about it...it's on par with DHB form a year ago in some respects. Ryan Mathews was a guy I was high on, then not as I watched him more and more, seems rather average when all is said and done, hope I'm wrong so there is more gold to mine in dyansty leagues. And Pierre Paul has been touted by a lot of folks tonight as boom or bust. I hope he makes it but the fact is not all these picks are gonna be good, in fact many will bomb and fail. I'm just trying to be realistic about it.

"21. Cincinnati Bengals-TE Jermaine Gresham: Some love this pick but I don't. Forget what they have or don't have at TE...when was the last time if ever that Cinci threw the ball to their TE with any consistency. They have become a power running team and they had a chance in this draft to get better along the OL and they opt for a TE that they seem to show they don't even know how to use...what playbook do they hand him? I-40 Power Left on two??? I was really excited about this guy in my 2 PPRTE Dynasty League but I probably wouldn't even consider drafting him now. Will Gresham ever catch 50 balls? I doubt it."

Bengals were a power running team because that what their personel dictated. They actually threw to their tight ends with some regularity last year they just couldn't catch the ball.

When they draft a guy in the first round it's usually with a plan in mind. Example... They drafted Andre Smith last year as a road grader right tackle as a step to become a running team and that's the direction they took the offense. By drafting Gresham they didn't do it to stick him next to the tackle and tell him to block. I see him filling the hole that TJ Houshamama left. There was nobody left to run that intermediate stuff. I personally wouldn't sleep on him in dynasty.

P.S. kind of relieved that they didn't pick dez. I've got the 1.1 in my dynasty league and I don't think he's a great fit there.

They just are on Chapters one and two, the really heavy stuff is coming. Wads, I think your a quality poster and a real fan, I give you a lot of credit but are you really gonna defend that pick tonight? I think both networks were a little speechless adn for whatever reason it seems that all the networks want to pump up everything instead of being a little more honest about the picks.

I don't want Jax to fail but Tebow would have filled that place up for the next 2-3 years. He was in Jax tonight, he so wanted to stay in Florida. Denver got a great locker room guy and fan favortie if nothing else.

They needed a new coach and stuck with JDR mostly due to money, that's not a recipe for success and neither was this IMHO. Deep draft for DT...DEEP!!! No need to reach for a DT.
-I have no idea why they stuck with JDR and I agree it was time for him to go. But the reason wasn't money. If Wayne Weaver was worried about money he would not have signed Kampman this year. No one around town expected any sort of big splash in free agency, Weaver could have easily done nothing and no one would have complained much. But instead he wrote a pretty big check to get Kampman. Weaver isn't worried about the money, he kept JDR for some other... terrible reason. -Tebow is a topic for a thread on it's own but suffice to say the Jags didn't have him ranked even close to the #10 and weren't going to reach for him to placate some local college fans that will likely never support the Jags anyways. He would not have filled the place. The local paper contacted two of the top sports management consulting firms in the country to ask them the impact of the Jags drafting Tebow on ticket sales. One came back with 2,000 tickets the other with 2,000 to 3,000 tickets. That's just not that big of a deal and certainly not worth throwing away your draft board to take the guy, especially when the GM is coming off such a successful 2009 draft.

-As far as defending the pick, all I can do is give you my reaction. I think the Jags wanted at least 2, maybe 3 of the trio of Haden, McClain and Spiller. With 3 picks left all 3 were on the board still. Well as luck would have it all 3 went right in front of the Jags. Gene Smith has already said that he tried to trade back and wanted to badly but no one was making any offers. It's been hypothesized locally that teams didn't want to trade into the "top 10". Whatever the reason I have no reason to distrust Smith on this issue. So with no trade partner available they took the top guy on their board who was Alualu. I love Alualu as a prospect and think 3 years from now all the drama around the pick will seem silly. Obviously trading back would have been preferred, but if that indeed wasn't an option you take the top player on your board.

Gene Smith could have easily taken Morgan, Earl Thomas, JPP, Graham or Dan Williams and no one would have blinked. But instead he took a guy he knew was going to surprise a lot of people because he trusted his scouting. As a fan I like having a GM that's not following the herd but trying to break new ground. Alualu makes 9 pick in a row(every pick taken under Smith) that have been clean character guys and college team captains. Smith is trying something new, making his own mark and not apologizing about it. Personally I'm not sure you can win with all choirboys, but I like a GM with the cajones to try and do it his way. If Alualu doesn't work out Smith is going to catch a lot of heat, but until the guy makes at least one bad pick I'm willing to give him some leeway.

:thumbup: :unsure: Always wondered why MOP doesn't just start his own fantasy football site.To think, some of this undeniable talent was being wasted stocking Whole Foods aisles...
It left a lot of time to think about things though...I appreciate the kind words but FBG has plenty of quality staff. I'm blesed that I get to compete with many of them, and also share info back and forth. I probably would end up going MOP though and fire myself, close the site down within a month :hey:

"21. Cincinnati Bengals-TE Jermaine Gresham: Some love this pick but I don't. Forget what they have or don't have at TE...when was the last time if ever that Cinci threw the ball to their TE with any consistency. They have become a power running team and they had a chance in this draft to get better along the OL and they opt for a TE that they seem to show they don't even know how to use...what playbook do they hand him? I-40 Power Left on two??? I was really excited about this guy in my 2 PPRTE Dynasty League but I probably wouldn't even consider drafting him now. Will Gresham ever catch 50 balls? I doubt it."

Bengals were a power running team because that what their personel dictated. They actually threw to their tight ends with some regularity last year they just couldn't catch the ball.

When they draft a guy in the first round it's usually with a plan in mind. Example... They drafted Andre Smith last year as a road grader right tackle as a step to become a running team and that's the direction they took the offense. By drafting Gresham they didn't do it to stick him next to the tackle and tell him to block. I see him filling the hole that TJ Houshamama left. There was nobody left to run that intermediate stuff. I personally wouldn't sleep on him in dynasty.

P.S. kind of relieved that they didn't pick dez. I've got the 1.1 in my dynasty league and I don't think he's a great fit there.
So...if Dez Bryant doesn't fit there, how exactly is Gresham gonna set the world on fire? Fine, so instead of hauling in 25 balls on 60 targets, Gresham brings that up to 40/60...he's still useless. This was almost the worst team that could have drafted him IMO. Need doesn't always mean reality. I really don't think they design plays well for their passing game, never did. Everyone talked about Henry and we all saw flashes but how often in the past 4-5 years did they truly exploit him? I want to believe what your posting but that last statement only makes what I feel even more engrained in my head. Why should anyone in a dynasty league trying to find th next TE to catch 60-70 balls...where do you see Gresham making those typ of numbers? 1st TE off the board but that doesn't matter anymore.

Loving wherever Graham(TE Miami) ends up at this point.

-I have no idea why they stuck with JDR and I agree it was time for him to go. But the reason wasn't money. If Wayne Weaver was worried about money he would not have signed Kampman this year. No one around town expected any sort of big splash in free agency, Weaver could have easily done nothing and no one would have complained much. But instead he wrote a pretty big check to get Kampman. Weaver isn't worried about the money, he kept JDR for some other... terrible reason. -Tebow is a topic for a thread on it's own but suffice to say the Jags didn't have him ranked even close to the #10 and weren't going to reach for him to placate some local college fans that will likely never support the Jags anyways. He would not have filled the place. The local paper contacted two of the top sports management consulting firms in the country to ask them the impact of the Jags drafting Tebow on ticket sales. One came back with 2,000 tickets the other with 2,000 to 3,000 tickets. That's just not that big of a deal and certainly not worth throwing away your draft board to take the guy, especially when the GM is coming off such a successful 2009 draft.

-As far as defending the pick, all I can do is give you my reaction. I think the Jags wanted at least 2, maybe 3 of the trio of Haden, McClain and Spiller. With 3 picks left all 3 were on the board still. Well as luck would have it all 3 went right in front of the Jags. Gene Smith has already said that he tried to trade back and wanted to badly but no one was making any offers. It's been hypothesized locally that teams didn't want to trade into the "top 10". Whatever the reason I have no reason to distrust Smith on this issue. So with no trade partner available they took the top guy on their board who was Alualu. I love Alualu as a prospect and think 3 years from now all the drama around the pick will seem silly. Obviously trading back would have been preferred, but if that indeed wasn't an option you take the top player on your board.

Gene Smith could have easily taken Morgan, Earl Thomas, JPP, Graham or Dan Williams and no one would have blinked. But instead he took a guy he knew was going to surprise a lot of people because he trusted his scouting. As a fan I like having a GM that's not following the herd but trying to break new ground. Alualu makes 9 pick in a row(every pick taken under Smith) that have been clean character guys and college team captains. Smith is trying something new, making his own mark and not apologizing about it. Personally I'm not sure you can win with all choirboys, but I like a GM with the cajones to try and do it his way. If Alualu doesn't work out Smith is going to catch a lot of heat, but until the guy makes at least one bad pick I'm willing to give him some leeway.
:thumbup:

So...if Dez Bryant doesn't fit there, how exactly is Gresham gonna set the world on fire? Fine, so instead of hauling in 25 balls on 60 targets, Gresham brings that up to 40/60...he's still useless. This was almost the worst team that could have drafted him IMO. Need doesn't always mean reality. I really don't think they design plays well for their passing game, never did. Everyone talked about Henry and we all saw flashes but how often in the past 4-5 years did they truly exploit him? I want to believe what your posting but that last statement only makes what I feel even more engrained in my head. Why should anyone in a dynasty league trying to find th next TE to catch 60-70 balls...where do you see Gresham making those typ of numbers? 1st TE off the board but that doesn't matter anymore.

Loving wherever Graham(TE Miami) ends up at this point.
Yeah, I should rephrase the Bryant comment. What I should have said is that I don't think the Bengals are the right team to give Bryant the structure he needs to help him stay focused and succeed in the NFL.I don't think he'll set the world on fire, and from a fantasy standpoint it's not the ideal landing spot for him. I'll concede that. But from a football standpoint it's the right move for the bengals.

From Bratkowski the OC...

Will there be more of an emphasis on the tight end position in the passing game after drafting Gresham?

Bratkowski: “We’ve always had those things in there. We probably just went to and featured T.J. (Houshmandzadeh) when we had him and Chad (Ochocinco) and others. Those guys were getting the majority of the balls. Now, we’re in a situation where we can add this guy and feel really good about putting things in for him and bring him along and continue to grow his role through it. So, tight end is going to be a factor for us. He gives us another weapon. He gives us another option when they’re doubling our guys outside. He gives us something we were missing last year. When the other guys were getting doubled, we struggled a little bit. I think this is going to help us.”

Also loved this quote from Gresham's interview on Bengals.com...

Is there a tight end playing in the NFL today that reminds you of yourself?

“Yeah. There are some tight ends who can catch. But I don’t want to be one of them, I want to be Jermaine Gresham. I want to be the best tight end in the NFL. I want to come in and get the culture, put in the hard work, watch the film and become a great player. So you guys can ask the next tight end, ‘Do you compare yourself to Jermaine Gresham?’ I’m not knocking the other tight ends, but I just want to be in a league of my own.”

All Right, time for bed.

-I have no idea why they stuck with JDR and I agree it was time for him to go. But the reason wasn't money. If Wayne Weaver was worried about money he would not have signed Kampman this year. No one around town expected any sort of big splash in free agency, Weaver could have easily done nothing and no one would have complained much. But instead he wrote a pretty big check to get Kampman. Weaver isn't worried about the money, he kept JDR for some other... terrible reason. -Tebow is a topic for a thread on it's own but suffice to say the Jags didn't have him ranked even close to the #10 and weren't going to reach for him to placate some local college fans that will likely never support the Jags anyways. He would not have filled the place. The local paper contacted two of the top sports management consulting firms in the country to ask them the impact of the Jags drafting Tebow on ticket sales. One came back with 2,000 tickets the other with 2,000 to 3,000 tickets. That's just not that big of a deal and certainly not worth throwing away your draft board to take the guy, especially when the GM is coming off such a successful 2009 draft. -As far as defending the pick, all I can do is give you my reaction. I think the Jags wanted at least 2, maybe 3 of the trio of Haden, McClain and Spiller. With 3 picks left all 3 were on the board still. Well as luck would have it all 3 went right in front of the Jags. Gene Smith has already said that he tried to trade back and wanted to badly but no one was making any offers. It's been hypothesized locally that teams didn't want to trade into the "top 10". Whatever the reason I have no reason to distrust Smith on this issue. So with no trade partner available they took the top guy on their board who was Alualu. I love Alualu as a prospect and think 3 years from now all the drama around the pick will seem silly. Obviously trading back would have been preferred, but if that indeed wasn't an option you take the top player on your board. Gene Smith could have easily taken Morgan, Earl Thomas, JPP, Graham or Dan Williams and no one would have blinked. But instead he took a guy he knew was going to surprise a lot of people because he trusted his scouting. As a fan I like having a GM that's not following the herd but trying to break new ground. Alualu makes 9 pick in a row(every pick taken under Smith) that have been clean character guys and college team captains. Smith is trying something new, making his own mark and not apologizing about it. Personally I'm not sure you can win with all choirboys, but I like a GM with the cajones to try and do it his way. If Alualu doesn't work out Smith is going to catch a lot of heat, but until the guy makes at least one bad pick I'm willing to give him some leeway.
1st point-I remember you talking about this earlier this off season. It sounds good but I don't trust the sports consulting group. Too many people have Tebow on the brains down here in Florida. I've been to Jax and I know a lot of folks that drive form Jax to Gainesville. My wife is attending her sister's college graduation next week in Jax...whole family is diehard UF/Tebow fans...I really think he would have sold a lot of tix and we can simply agree to disagree on this. You have faith in that sports management consulting group though. 2nd point-I'm not buying that they couldn't find a dance partner, not in a million years with what happened right behind them. You talk about spin control...magically everyone they wanted was gone b4 they picked as if they had no idea it could happen, then everyone traded after them but they themselves couldn't because they had the "10" spot...that whole entry is riddled with red herrings Wadsworth(change voice inflection to resemble a British accent as I say this).3rd point-I do agree with you about thinking outside of the box, but I disagree with some of the approach. You gotta squeeze value and apparently they couldn't trade back with San Diego? You telling me they couldn't find a DT at the end of round 1 and also gain another 2nd rounder like what Miami pulled off? I'm sure San Diego just went down the line and asked who would trade down for an extra 2nd starting at about the 5 or 6 spot...no, no, no, no, no, (Miami) Yes...BINGO!!! Or maybe Miami was just th first team they called and Jax never got a phone call. Don't listen to the spin in Jax my friend, search a little beyond what those folks know. I hate to tell you this, but outside of the Jags, there really isn't a major college there, most feed into UF which is why Tebow made sense for you all. In fact the more I think about it the less I believe this consultant group. I'm sure you feel the quality of sports radio is good there, but belive me and I'm a big critic of sports radio down here in Miami too...but the football stations that carry the Jags home games, then also have drive home shows about the Jags too, turn those off because you'll never get a real feel from them. They are too busy with their lips pressed against the sports teams rear ends to give any critical info. In 2008, I was going to be on one of the stations down here and the host asked what I wanted to talk about. I said Cam Cameron needs to go, we're 0-8 and from the Tedd Ginn pick on it has been a disaster. I'll never forget this, he tells me that I can't talk about that because they carry Miami Dolphins games and they felt calling for the coach's head was too extreme. I went on and blasted Cam Cameron and had my mic cut out quickly. Oh yeah, and that just sickened me to the way things are handled. It pissed me off really fierce that I had to curtail what I really felt because the radio station is the flagship station...that's hogwash but that's business and that's what they do.What were we talking about?

Ton of what? Personally I think we have plenty of threads with random football fans posting "I like this pick...don't like this pick." Should be merged IMO.

http://football.realgm.com/src_encroachmen...s_2010_edition/2010 Dynamite

Tyson Alualu, DL, California--Initially I wasn’t a huge fan of his, but the more I watched Cal the more I liked his potential. A very active, high-motor bulldog with very quick feet for his weight, Alualu should quickly become a very good 5-technique end for a 3-4 front. He’s not a great pass rusher but is more of a backfield disruptor that is a real nightmare to block, and he has the agility and balance to line up as a 5-technique and attack either gap without losing run containment. I’m not as bullish on him as a 3-technique, but he could still make an effective starter there as well.

FWIW

Yeah, I should rephrase the Bryant comment. What I should have said is that I don't think the Bengals are the right team to give Bryant the structure he needs to help him stay focused and succeed in the NFL.

I don't think he'll set the world on fire, and from a fantasy standpoint it's not the ideal landing spot for him. I'll concede that. But from a football standpoint it's the right move for the bengals.

Will there be more of an emphasis on the tight end position in the passing game after drafting Gresham?

Bratkowski: "We've always had those things in there. We probably just went to and featured T.J. (Houshmandzadeh) when we had him and Chad (Ochocinco) and others. Those guys were getting the majority of the balls. Now, we're in a situation where we can add this guy and feel really good about putting things in for him and bring him along and continue to grow his role through it. So, tight end is going to be a factor for us. He gives us another weapon. He gives us another option when they're doubling our guys outside. He gives us something we were missing last year. When the other guys were getting doubled, we struggled a little bit. I think this is going to help us."
I love the quote, will you allow me to break this up the way I would in my head? Cause I ain't programmed the way some of yoos is..."We've always had those things in there"...code for we ain't changin nothing.

"We probably just went to TJ and Chad"...because we don't throw to the TE much!!!

"We can feel really good about putting things in for him, bring him along, and continue to grow his role"...We basically have nothing for him at the moment but I'll work on it.

The present OC doesn't sound good to me. Again, I have a twisted way of reading into things but I am very uncomfortable with him on the Bengals. I know many owners are going to say that he has no one in front of him. We could say that about a lot of guys including some high profile QBs, doesn't mean they will succeed. I'd be stunned if he caught over 50 balls within the 1st 3 or 4 years he is in the NFL, maybe ever if he stays in Cinci.

They got a guy form Indy a year or two ago, that didn't work, they drafted Coffman, they had Kelly, they don't ever use the TE, not since the early days of Dan Ross, now there's a name you didn't expect to hear.

Love your analysis MOP, but the idea that Jax should have taken Tebow at 10 is insane.
Agree TG, just feel it wasn't hard based on everyone trading behind them, they could have slid down to the upper teens somewhere and picked Tebow. Wads is pretty sure that Tebow would have been a flop in Jax even as tix sales go. I disagree with this but he lives there, I'm down the road 6 hours.

Agreed with everything.Why do we keep tossing money to these 2nd grade WRs who just aren't what we need...coles, bryant...The pick just didn't make sense, heres a blurb from February
Geoff Hobson, of Bengals.com, reports Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said he excited what TE Chase Coffman can do for the offense next season. 'I'm excited about how Chase will help us; he's a big-time receiving threat. He catches every ball thrown near him. It's uncanny how he catches the ball. He'll help us down in the scoring zones, he'll help us in medium yardage situations, he'll help us on first and second downs,' Lewis said.
He had injury issues last year but is it really time to toss in the towel on him if the quote above is even half truthful? OR are we going to 2TE both running receiving routes sets? because neither TE is known for blocking skills yet are for receiving.Oh, and I know someone mentioned the 04 draft to sight successful players drafted right next to each other in the same position here is a little extra1.1 Eli Manning1.4 Phillip Rivers1.11 Ben RoethlisbergerTop 3 QBs taken, all pretty successful IMO.

Yeah, I should rephrase the Bryant comment. What I should have said is that I don't think the Bengals are the right team to give Bryant the structure he needs to help him stay focused and succeed in the NFL.

I don't think he'll set the world on fire, and from a fantasy standpoint it's not the ideal landing spot for him. I'll concede that. But from a football standpoint it's the right move for the bengals.

Bratkowski: "We've always had those things in there. We probably just went to and featured T.J. (Houshmandzadeh) when we had him and Chad (Ochocinco) and others. Those guys were getting the majority of the balls. Now, we're in a situation where we can add this guy and feel really good about putting things in for him and bring him along and continue to grow his role through it. So, tight end is going to be a factor for us. He gives us another weapon. He gives us another option when they're doubling our guys outside. He gives us something we were missing last year. When the other guys were getting doubled, we struggled a little bit. I think this is going to help us."
I love the quote, will you allow me to break this up the way I would in my head? Cause I ain't programmed the way some of yoos is..."We've always had those things in there"...code for we ain't changin nothing.

"We probably just went to TJ and Chad"...because we don't throw to the TE much!!!

"We can feel really good about putting things in for him, bring him along, and continue to grow his role"...We basically have nothing for him at the moment but I'll work on it.

The present OC doesn't sound good to me. Again, I have a twisted way of reading into things but I am very uncomfortable with him on the Bengals. I know many owners are going to say that he has no one in front of him. We could say that about a lot of guys including some high profile QBs, doesn't mean they will succeed. I'd be stunned if he caught over 50 balls within the 1st 3 or 4 years he is in the NFL, maybe ever if he stays in Cinci.

They got a guy form Indy a year or two ago, that didn't work, they drafted Coffman, they had Kelly, they don't ever use the TE, not since the early days of Dan Ross, now there's a name you didn't expect to hear.
:headbang:

This is a very good question GM. I actually only dogged 10,12 and 15 in the beginning.
And 7"7. Cleveland Browns-CB Joe Haden: Not impressed with this at the 7 spot."

And 13

13. Philadelphia Eagles-DE/OLB Brandon Graham: They just couldn't live without this guy? Much bigger fan of Jerry Hughes. This just doesn't look good to me."

And 20

"20. Houston Texans-DB Kareem Jackson: Let Dante Robinson walk and then you go out in the 1st round and this? I know they had a huge need but I like Kylie Wilson leaps and bounds better."

And 21

"21. Cincinnati Bengals-TE Jermaine Gresham: Some love this pick but I don't."

And 22

"22. Denver Broncos-WR Demaryius Thomas: As ESPN said, if he rimnds you of Marshall who they got in the 4th I believe...why did you ever trade Marshall and then turn around and burn a 1st?"

And 30

"30. Detroit Lions-RB Jahvid Best: I actually don't love this play by the Lions."

Again, I just don't get how you can knock so many picks when they were all projected 1st round picks and generally picked where they should have gone. I can understand not agreeing with the "professional" mock draft folks, but if that's the case, who were the guys that would have been better picks if you dislike so many? Are you suggesting that some of these guys that will now be 2nd round picks should have gone in the 1st? Were these reaches by a couple spots are a large # of spots? If reaches by only a couple spots then I don't agree with putting down the pick as that's generally acceptable, particularly in the 1st round.

This is a very good question GM. I actually only dogged 10,12 and 15 in the beginning.
And 7"7. Cleveland Browns-CB Joe Haden: Not impressed with this at the 7 spot."

And 13

13. Philadelphia Eagles-DE/OLB Brandon Graham: They just couldn't live without this guy? Much bigger fan of Jerry Hughes. This just doesn't look good to me."

And 20

"20. Houston Texans-DB Kareem Jackson: Let Dante Robinson walk and then you go out in the 1st round and this? I know they had a huge need but I like Kylie Wilson leaps and bounds better."

And 21

"21. Cincinnati Bengals-TE Jermaine Gresham: Some love this pick but I don't."

And 22

"22. Denver Broncos-WR Demaryius Thomas: As ESPN said, if he rimnds you of Marshall who they got in the 4th I believe...why did you ever trade Marshall and then turn around and burn a 1st?"

And 30

"30. Detroit Lions-RB Jahvid Best: I actually don't love this play by the Lions."

Again, I just don't get how you can knock so many picks when they were all projected 1st round picks and generally picked where they should have gone. I can understand not agreeing with the "professional" mock draft folks, but if that's the case, who were the guys that would have been better picks if you dislike so many? Are you suggesting that some of these guys that will now be 2nd round picks should have gone in the 1st? Were these reaches by a couple spots are a large # of spots? If reaches by only a couple spots then I don't agree with putting down the pick as that's generally acceptable, particularly in the 1st round.
:rolleyes: Not exactly hard-hitting analysis.

http://football.realgm.com/src_encroachmen...s_2010_edition/

2010 Dynamite

Tyson Alualu, DL, California--Initially I wasn’t a huge fan of his, but the more I watched Cal the more I liked his potential. A very active, high-motor bulldog with very quick feet for his weight, Alualu should quickly become a very good 5-technique end for a 3-4 front. He’s not a great pass rusher but is more of a backfield disruptor that is a real nightmare to block, and he has the agility and balance to line up as a 5-technique and attack either gap without losing run containment. I’m not as bullish on him as a 3-technique, but he could still make an effective starter there as well.

FWIW
A couple more:-Rob Rang on Alualu: . He might be the safest defensive lineman in this draft not named Ndamukong Suh .... Despite the perception that he's a reach, he'll prove to be an immediate starter and I have no doubt enjoy a long and productive career.

-Mike Mayock on Alualu: This is one of my favorite players in the draft ... (and a lot of other praise that I'm to lazy to type since I can't cut and paste text from a video).

Some of the talking heads want to paint Alualu as some huge reach, while if the Jags had taken Dan Williams or Clausen they would have called it a decent or better pick. Well Williams lasted another 16 picks and Clausen still isn't drafted. So how is Alualu a huge reach when when guys they would have been okay with the Jags drafting lasted so much longer? Hindsight teaches us that in fact Dan Williams and Clausen would have been huge reaches, we'll never know for sure how long Alualu would have lasted, but I seriously doubt it would have been farther than Clausen.

2010 Dynamite

Tyson Alualu, DL, California--Initially I wasn't a huge fan of his, but the more I watched Cal the more I liked his potential. A very active, high-motor bulldog with very quick feet for his weight, Alualu should quickly become a very good 5-technique end for a 3-4 front. He's not a great pass rusher but is more of a backfield disruptor that is a real nightmare to block, and he has the agility and balance to line up as a 5-technique and attack either gap without losing run containment. I'm not as bullish on him as a 3-technique, but he could still make an effective starter there as well.

FWIW
A couple more:-Rob Rang on Alualu: . He might be the safest defensive lineman in this draft not named Ndamukong Suh .... Despite the perception that he's a reach, he'll prove to be an immediate starter and I have no doubt enjoy a long and productive career.

-Mike Mayock on Alualu: This is one of my favorite players in the draft ... (and a lot of other praise that I'm to lazy to type since I can't cut and paste text from a video).

Some of the talking heads want to paint Alualu as some huge reach, while if the Jags had taken Dan Williams or Clausen they would have called it a decent or better pick. Well Williams lasted another 16 picks and Clausen still isn't drafted. So how is Alualu a huge reach when when guys they would have been okay with the Jags drafting lasted so much longer? Hindsight teaches us that in fact Dan Williams and Clausen would have been huge reaches, we'll never know for sure how long Alualu would have lasted, but I seriously doubt it would have been farther than Clausen.
You make valid points Wads, it just seems they could have gotten their man at a later point in the 1st and picked up some extra picks along the way. Denver could have grabbed Tebow at #11, but they traded around a bunch and then maneuvered up to get him. I'm not sure I agree with their optimism about Tebow but they worked the draft last night. Jax IMO did not. He'll be solid for them, just think he was picked pretty high. What is the local media saying?

...31. Indianapolis Colts-De/OLB Jerry Hughes: Love the pic, gets to play with Freeney which will only help him, not hurt him. Indy made a wise selection tonight IMO. They need some OL help tomorrow night though. 32. New Orleans Saints-DB Patrick Robertson: Whatever, they won the Super bowl last year, they are loaded on offense, they are going to continue to be a high octane offense so what does it matter? Robertson is a fine selection for some DB help but they could have gone in any direction here...even drafted Clausen should they have wanted to. They could do no wrong here but I would have preferred some help in their LBs but this is a weak LB class. ...
Good read, MOP. I think the Saints really wanted Hughes, only to have the Colts take him with the prior pick. Very good move by the Colts(Hughes is very versatile and will be on the field a lot), and a bad break for the Saints.I was very surprised the Saints picked a CB here, given the number of picks they have invested at CB the last few years. I thought fairly certainly that since Hughes was gone they would either go LB Sergio Kindle(Texas) or a DT(most likely Brian Price from UCLA). I am not disappointed, since the Saints front office has more than earned my trust the last few years.

2010 Dynamite

Tyson Alualu, DL, California--Initially I wasn't a huge fan of his, but the more I watched Cal the more I liked his potential. A very active, high-motor bulldog with very quick feet for his weight, Alualu should quickly become a very good 5-technique end for a 3-4 front. He's not a great pass rusher but is more of a backfield disruptor that is a real nightmare to block, and he has the agility and balance to line up as a 5-technique and attack either gap without losing run containment. I'm not as bullish on him as a 3-technique, but he could still make an effective starter there as well.

FWIW

You make valid points Wads, it just seems they could have gotten their man at a later point in the 1st and picked up some extra picks along the way. Denver could have grabbed Tebow at #11, but they traded around a bunch and then maneuvered up to get him. I'm not sure I agree with their optimism about Tebow but they worked the draft last night. Jax IMO did not. He'll be solid for them, just think he was picked pretty high. What is the local media saying?
The local media was shocked like most everyone else and are also confused by the Jaguars not trading back and taking him a few picks later. But overall there's a great deal of confidence in Gene Smith right now. Most of the fans and media recognize that Gene's been very successful so far and that his agenda for building with high character guys is going to be difficult at times. Basically Gene says he got the guy he wanted and that's good enough for most of the locals at this point. There's even a catch phrase getting popular, "In Gene We Trust."

Nice read MOP :confused:

I respectfully disagree with your thoughts on Graham, but I appreciated the time and effort you put into this article.

Wadsworth said:
Ministry of Pain said:
Wadsworth said:
theglorydays said:

2010 Dynamite

FWIW

The local media was shocked like most everyone else and are also confused by the Jaguars not trading back and taking him a few picks later. But overall there's a great deal of confidence in Gene Smith right now. Most of the fans and media recognize that Gene's been very successful so far and that his agenda for building with high character guys is going to be difficult at times. Basically Gene says he got the guy he wanted and that's good enough for most of the locals at this point. There's even a catch phrase getting popular, "In Gene We Trust."
I wanted to add this quote from Gene Smith which gives some insight into the type of guy he is and how he approaches his job. "This is not a popularity contest,'' Smith told Peter King of SI.com. "I don't give a damn about perception. I care about picking the right player for our team. My attitude is, 'You can outsmart people some of the time, but you can outwork them all of the time.' If you can't trust your ability to judge players after all the work you put in on them, you shouldn't be in this business.''

Gene came up as a scout and reportedly works 4:30am to 11pm days on a regular basis. He believes his own eyes and trusts his scouts and obviously doesn't care about consensus perception. When you consider that he basically went 8 for 8 in the draft last year it's easy for me to see why the Jaguar fans are excited and confident with the new GM.

Users who are viewing this thread